Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN First Power Ranking of 13-14 (Pacers #2!)

Default Re: ESPN First Power Ranking of 13-14 (Pacers #2!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know what you mean. The injuries to Rondo and Rose watered down the Eastern playoffs last year. This year, the East should be significantly tougher with Brooklyn and a Chicago team with Rose. We certainly can't just assume that Miami is the only block in the road to the NBA Finals. It's easy for fans to fall into that trap, but I'm confident that our team won't past anyone.
    Although even if we assume Rose and Rondo are back 100% and any of the injured players from last year, one thing we know there are always plenty of injured players every year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Although even if we assume Rose and Rondo are back 100% and any of the injured players from last year, one thing we know there are always plenty of injured players every year.
    Yeah, but I've never seen a year in which so many premier names were MIA in the playoffs. Rose, Rondo, Westbrook, and Kobe are premier players and missed the playoffs. Even guys like Gallinari and Granger are pretty big names. Last year's playoffs were really watered down by injuries.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I wonder if some fans are getting a little over-confident. Suppose that is what fans are for. Just hope the players aren't even the slightest bit.

This line of reasoning bothers me though. Pacers got to game 7 of the ECF and added Granger, Scola, Watson, so we should win the championship. Does not work that way. You don't win on paper. In a blink of an eye things can change.

I always try not to get too high on the highs or too low on the lows but we should have some high expectations this year. I know any number of things could derail that, anyone who has been a fan for a number of years has experienced that time and again. The bottom line is we have a real shot at the title this year and it should be a better shot then last year was. We're deep enough to deal with 1 major setback and still have a shot. I don't expect a title to be a given but we should have very high expectations this year.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    If you're seriously trying to turn a comment like that into something negative that's just sad.

This is likely the best shot we've ever had at a title going into a season. I've been a Pacers fan since the early 80's so I can tell you it's been a long time coming.
    You read to much into that, I savored every moment last year cause it had been a long time coming. I'm still riding the same ride into this season.

Nothing negative on my end.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Mood

I wonder if some fans are getting a little over-confident. Suppose that is what fans are for. Just hope the players aren't even the slightest bit.

This line of reasoning bothers me though. Pacers got to game 7 of the ECF and added Granger, Scola, Watson, so we should win the championship. Does not work that way. You don't win on paper. In a blink of an eye things can change.
    I'm concerned for unexpected negative changes. Mainly in the form of new injuries.

But truly, the way this team is built, barring some really unexpected twists in terms of on-floor chemistry, I think if health permits it, this truly could finally be our year. I really do.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm concerned for unexpected negative changes. Mainly in the form of new injuries.

But truly, the way this team is built, barring some really unexpected twists in terms of on-floor chemistry, I think if health permits it, this truly could finally be our year. I really do.
    With our young team, we must go pedal to the metal the entire season. Getting the number 1 seed in the East should be the number 1 goal of the regular season. Miami should come back down to earth a bit since they won't have a 27 game winning streak like last year. Also, the Pacers won't start off 8-9 like they did a year ago when they were quickly forced to adjust to life without Granger. We spent an entire month figuring things out. Those two things alone should naturally close the gap. Chicago had the number 1 seed against Miami in both 2011 and 2012, so the Heat have been catchable in 2 of the 3 years that Lebron has played there.

I don't think we can beat the Heat without home court advantage. We'd either have to eliminate them in 6 or win Game 7 in Miami. I just don't think we can beat them in a Game 7 at Miami. We gotta get that HCA.

With a healthy Rose, Chicago could certainly be tough to beat without homecourt too.

Getting the #1 seed is incredibly important, and not just for home court advantage against the Heat.

I'd assume that the top 3 teams will be the Bulls/Heat/Pacers. I don't really see Brooklyn as a real threat to beat either of those teams. I would think we really only want to play one of Bulls/Heat, instead of both. That's the real prize that the #1 seed gets.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Getting the #1 seed is incredibly important, and not just for home court advantage against the Heat.

I'd assume that the top 3 teams will be the Bulls/Heat/Pacers. I don't really see Brooklyn as a real threat to beat either of those teams. I would think we really only want to play one of Bulls/Heat, instead of both. That's the real prize that the #1 seed gets.

Good point. I don't think we're making the Finals if we're a number 3 seed that has to go on the road against both Chicago and Miami.

Honestly, I'm not so sure that we can beat the Bulls without HCA. They're a lot tougher than the Knicks.

Mood

Avoiding one of Chicago and Miami would certainly make for an easier path to the Finals . . . but wouldn't it be glorious to get there by beating them both on the way?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Honestly, I'm not so sure that we can beat the Bulls without HCA. They're a lot tougher than the Knicks.
    Unfortunately, I don't think the Pacers could have true HCA if they faced the Bulls in the playoffs. Even if the Pacers had the higher seed.

Meeting the Bulls in the playoffs would be awful and not because of the possibility of elimination. I went to game 3 of the 2010 series. I never want to see that much red again.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think the Pacers could have true HCA if they faced the Bulls in the playoffs. Even if the Pacers had the higher seed.

Meeting the Bulls in the playoffs would be awful and not because of the possibility of elimination. I went to game 3 of the 2010 series. I never want to see that much red again.
    So true. And so sad.

I've seen plenty of Lakers, Heat, Knicks, and Celtics fans at the Fieldhouse. I've been around Pats fans during the AFCCG and 4th and 2 game when the Pats jumped out to big leads. All of these fanbases were relatively civil. Nothing comes close to the scum Bulls fans that invade the Fieldhouse.

I really don't think I could handle losing a home playoff game to them.....