Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN First Power Ranking of 13-14 (Pacers #2!)

Sports Logo

Default ESPN First Power Ranking of 13-14 (Pacers #2!)

You made it!

You survived another long, withering summer.

With seven teams holding their annual media day on this first Friday of fall, your 165-day wait for the return of ESPN.com's weekly NBA Power Rankings is mercifully over. A fresh batch of rankings is served up here with the Miami Heat taking their rightful place at the top of the ladder. The two-time reigning champions are joined in the top five by Indiana and Brooklyn in advance of what should be the tastiest race we've seen in the Eastern Conference for some time.

The West remains the far deeper conference, as it's basically been since the inception of your devoted committee (of one) starting with the 2002-03 season, but the East is where we see the most intrigue for a change, since there are potentially three teams -- depending on how closely Derrick Rose returns to his MVP best -- that can prevent Miami from even getting to a fourth successive NBA Finals.

The Heat, however, naturally start at No. 1, which is a courtesy we always extend to the champs no matter what they did in the offseason. And by now you surely know that this is where we'll meet up every Monday during the regular season to take the pulse of NBA teams from 1 down to 30, utilizing our trusted formula that computes each slot by factoring in what's happening in the present as well as that team's big-picture outlook for the season ... while always allowing for a dash of subjective whim.

Don't forget, furthermore, that this preseason edition of the rankings, as always, weighs a team's personnel successes (or failures) from the summer as well as injuries when making our calculations. That should help explain why the Pacers, Nets, Doc Rivers' Los Angeles Clippers and Dwight Howard's Houston Rockets have all climbed so high already. And also why the Kobe Bryant-less L.A. Lakers and Rajon Rondo-less Boston Celtics start so low.

The next edition of the rankings is scheduled for Oct. 28, on the eve of opening night, after we use the next month to get a better feel for everyone during exhibition play. Comment below on the rankings, which are compiled with ever-helpful dishing from ESPN Stats & Info and the Elias Sports Bureau.

Editor's note: The "Last Week" category below is from the final Power Rankings of 2012-13 in April, while "Record" reflects how the team finished last season.

Indiana
    49-32
    I'm super high on Indy and for once it has nothing to do with thoughts of the inimitable shrimp cocktail at St. Elmo's. Sprinkle in Danny Granger and Luis Scola from an upgraded bench with the freshly maxed-out Paul George and playoffs Roy Hibbert and you've got a legit title-contending mix.

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings...r/2014/week/-1
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: ESPN First Power Ranking of 13-14 (Pacers #2!)

Giddy.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Hard to disagree.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Bring home the title.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is this year really title or bust?
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Not quite. If we don't win the title this year we simply do it again next year. We're too young of a team to be a "title or bust" squad.

I'm waiting to see next year's offseason and if players will take a pay cut to come win a title in Indy (like some players did for the Spurs, Celtics, etc. - I've counted out Miami and Lakers because that's a free agent destination due to their weather)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:

Mood

Depends on what you mean by "bust". If bust means blow up the team, then no.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This years expectations from fans and players should be to in an NBA title and anything else is a disappointment. But not a have to make major changes if we dont.

Savor every moment this year, it's been a long time coming.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "bust". If bust means blow up the team, then no.
    If bust means the season was a disappointment it'd be an interesting question.

A little tougher, but at this point I'd say yes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

I think this question is highly subjective and there is no definitive answer. For me, I'm. Going to enjoy every second of the regular season. The playoffs I want to see us get as far as possible and expect us to get at least to the conference finals again. But if we don't get there, I won't even care too much then as long as we showed up and played well.

Following our yearly trend, this is the year for the Pacers to make the Finals. Since 2011 when we returned to the playoffs, we've advanced one round further than the previous year (2011: first round; 2012: second round; 2013: ECF). The Finals is the next step.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Frank would be "shocked" if the Pacers don't go undefeated this season.

"Roy, Roy that little attitude you have right there bring it to game 7,
    barbeque chicken I like that when a big man talks smack..." - Shaquille O'Neal

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

J7F

Number 2 looks about right.

I think Pacers look like the best team; but the champs deserve the top spot to start the season.

Please don't any one throw a beer on Lance

22. The Following User Says Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't say it's a disappointment if the Pacers don't win the championship. I mean, look at the Spurs, they were clearly the Heats match. They didn't win, got close, but made one hell of an effort. If the Pacers make a great run and lose in 7 to Thunder, if they're that evenly matched, can't be upset.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by solid View Post
    Number 2 looks about right.

I think Pacers look like the best team; but the champs deserve the top spot to start the season.

Please don't any one throw a beer on Lance

Don't even play like that!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Good to see the Pacers getting the respect a good team deserves. Still won't let myself get all twisted up about winning a title or it's a failed season..... won't go down that road again. I can't take that kind of heartbreak again.

I'm just going to watch every game, give them praise when they look good and be critical when they don't. I'm going to try my best to stay level headed and objective about the Pacers this season. I know this team is loaded like they haven't been since 97-00 but I also know for a fact that NOTHING is certain in the NBA.

"We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post

No way. The NBA Pacers have only made the NBA Finals once and have never won a championship. Saying that this year is "title or bust" is unfair to this young team. The goal should certainly be a championship, and we should go into the season with the expectation of making the NBA Finals. But year won't be a bust if we lose in a competitive Eastern Conference Finals again. Unfortunately, we are still going to have to go through the greatest player in the world who is in the prime of his career. Let's face it, there's really nothing we can do when he kicks it into that top gear.

The season will certainly be a disappointment if we don't make it to the ECF's again, that's for sure. But we will still have plenty to be happy about if we lose in the ECF's again. In a year, this is still going to be a young team with plenty of potential. And Lebron will be another year older. The Reggie Pacers didn't win a ECF's until their fifth try.

This isn't like the Manning Colts when we had one of the greatest players ever in the prime of his career. Back then, every season was Super Bowl or bust. But these Pacers don't deserve that level of expectations.....yet.

No way its title or bust. Only team that falls under that is Miami. If we win the title, it'll be incredible. If we don't it's not a bust. Once we win it all, I'll be sobbing tears of joy for a week
    "We want Miami"

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I think I'd be disappointed if we don't win the title because we should be in there fighting for it.

I will not be unhappy unless things completely go 1999 on us.

There's a BIG difference.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Savor every moment this year, it's been a long time coming.
    Sorry you missed the 2012-13 season.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

I wonder if some fans are getting a little over-confident. Suppose that is what fans are for. Just hope the players aren't even the slightest bit.

This line of reasoning bothers me though. Pacers got to game 7 of the ECF and added Granger, Scola, Watson, so we should win the championship. Does not work that way. You don't win on paper. In a blink of an eye things can change.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 09-30-2013 at 10:09 AM.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I wonder if some fans are getting a little over-confident. Suppose that is what fans are for. Just hope the players aren't even the slightest bit

I know what you mean. The injuries to Rondo and Rose watered down the Eastern playoffs last year. This year, the East should be significantly tougher with Brooklyn and a Chicago team with Rose. We certainly can't just assume that Miami is the only block in the road to the NBA Finals. It's easy for fans to fall into that trap, but I'm confident that our team won't past anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Sorry you missed the 2012-13 season.
    If you're seriously trying to turn a comment like that into something negative that's just sad.

This is likely the best shot we've ever had at a title going into a season. I've been a Pacers fan since the early 80's so I can tell you it's been a long time coming.