Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rim Protector

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Rim Protector

The Pacers appear to be in good shape this season, however, I think they need another "rim protector". Here is why.

What happens if Hibbert gets injured? I don't see Mahamini playing 30+ mpg for any length of time and being effective. West and Scola are good players but they aren't going to block or alter many shots. Having another 6'11" or bigger shot blocker on the bench would help. Someone like a Fesenko that would be kind of an insurance policy. Should Hibbert get injured, Fesenko (or whoever) could give us 10-12 mpg and block or alter shots. That means if we could get 20-25 mpg from Mahamini, we would basically have 30-35 mpg with someone in the game to block or alter shots.

That's just my opinion. I would interested to see what other people think.

Default Re: Rim Protector

My opinion is if Hibbert goes down the season is lost, no reason to worry about trying to replace him.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Well, if Roy gets injured and misses a big part of the season, the Pacers aren't going anywhere. They're fine (IMHFO) with what they got.

Fez ?? Really ??

Sports Logo

Well, I have clearly stated that I want us to get a 3rd Center ever since we traded Miles. I just like the insurance that it provides.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, I have clearly stated that I want us to get a 3rd Center ever since we traded Miles. I just like the insurance that it provides.
    I agree, but the Pacers front office seems to see Scola as a PF/C. I have no strong opinion on that... we'll see how it works out.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

we probably should have signed Oden just to keep him away from Miami and if he gets healthy it would have been a nice bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    we probably should have signed Oden just to keep him away from Miami and if he gets healthy it would have been a nice bonus
    We tried. He wanted to be in Miami.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    My opinion is if Hibbert goes down the season is lost, no reason to worry about trying to replace him.
    I respectfully disagree. I think we are good enough to make the playoffs without Hibbert. How far we go in the playoffs is another question. If we get a high enough seed (which would be a surprise without Hibbert), we could get into the second round. If Hibbert misses and then is able to return for the playoffs, we could still go deep into the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Well, if Roy gets injured and misses a big part of the season, the Pacers aren't going anywhere. They're fine (IMHFO) with what they got.

Fez ?? Really ??
    Fez is just an example. A 7'1" 280 pound guy that can come in and play 10 minutes or so and give the opponents something to think about when they get close to the rim.

You could pencil in just about anyone that is 6'11" or bigger that could play around 10 mpg in an emergency and block or alter shots.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are very few guys that could come in and keep us at the level Roy does. None of them are available. Ian is a pretty solid back up imo. He gets too much crap on here. I'm eager to see him with some talent on the bench this year. We would absolutely make the playoffs without Roy. This team is talented. But to win a title, we need a healthy Roy.

Quite frankly we can't play a "what if so and so gets injured" game. What does Miami do if LeBron gets injured? Look at OKC, what happened when Westbrook went down? **** happens and when a player of that level goes down, there aren't enough guys at that level for a team to be able to insert another one into his spot. Its no secret that keeping players healthy is key in winning a title.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

You asked, and the Pacers delivered. We've apparently signed Hilton Armstrong to camp.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I think we are good enough to make the playoffs without Hibbert. How far we go in the playoffs is another question. If we get a high enough seed (which would be a surprise without Hibbert), we could get into the second round. If Hibbert misses and then is able to return for the playoffs, we could still go deep into the playoffs.
    Yeah, at that point in time that is a lost season. We are at a point where we should be competing for a championship, if we are unable because of an injury that is a lost season to me, even if you can still be relatively successful.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 09-27-2013 at 03:02 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    You asked, and the Pacers delivered. We've apparently signed Hilton Armstrong to camp.
    He's the kind of player I was hoping we would get.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I agree, but the Pacers front office seems to see Scola as a PF/C. I have no strong opinion on that... we'll see how it works out.
    Well, Scola is in no way a rim protector. Great player, though
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

There's still some defensive concern if Roy goes down, but I'll say that I feel a million times better about a DWest/Scola/Ian big man rotation than I did with a DWest/Tyler/Ian rotation.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Some teams don't even have one legitimate rim protector...

I am not at all sure that effective second or third string rim protectors are growing on trees, just waiting to be plucked. On paper at least, we are a pretty deep team this season, able to play a few different styles. I am confident our coaching staff can devise ways to keep us afloat should a major injury occur.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Aww...come on...no Fez gif by now makes me sad...yeah if Hibbert is out for an extended period, the Pacers are in trouble.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

I think we're fine here. Ian is as good as anyone we could acquire fitting this description. If for some reason it becomes necessary, Scola can indeed play C in a pinch. We certainly wouldn't want him out there much, but it wouldn't be terrible for a backup. We could play small ball with Granger and Copeland at the forward positions and drain threes.

...oh, and don't forget that West could play C. Not a rim protector but he can intimidate and play good post D.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I never really liked the strategy of signing a guy to keep him away from somewhere else (unless you're playing fantasy football). And sometimes the strategy can wind up being a disaster (Toronto spending money on Fields in an attempt to alter the plans of Steve Nash).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy Ian and Scola are 3 solid rim protectors. I think we are fine
    "We want Miami"

Mood

Scola is not a rim protector at all.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Yeah, Scola is one of the worst defenders in the league, regardless of position. He isn't protecting anything.

Now he is still an effective player, especially with a big (Ian, Roy) to protect him defensively. But be warned: his defense is horrific.

Ian is paid at a premium to be Hibbert insurance. He looked lost playing with the starters against the Clippers. He clearly didn't have a strong hold of where he was supposed to be in the rotations. But the ability is there, and there is a good chance he could pick it up if given 2-3 weeks playing with the starters in case of an emergency.

Hopefully, we will never find out. The Clippers game highlighted just how much this defense hinges on Hibbert.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's a big body who can defend the rim. He won't be the best at it, but he'll be an asset in that area
    "We want Miami"

Mood

The fact that he has a big body doesn't mean he can protect the rim. He's not going to be blocking shots and altering shots in any team-defense/help-defense kind of way. I mean maybe occasionally, but certainly not with regularity.

He really doesn't even have a "big" body when compared to other post players. He's only the size of Tyler, 6'9" 245ish.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.