Thread: Knicks shake up front office: Glen Grunwald out Steve Mills back in

Default Knicks shake up front office: Glen Grunwald out Steve Mills back in

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ck-in/related/

Knicks shake up front office: Glen Grunwald out, Steve Mills back in

Glen Grunwald — the man who has steered the good ship New York Knicks the past several seasons, hired Mike Woodson as coach and said there was “no scenario” Jeremy Lin would not stay a Knick — has been pushed out of power.

The Knicks have re-hired Steve Mills as Team President and GM. Mills was the former COO of Madison Square Garden who hired Isiah Thomas and ushered in that era (which included the Anucha Browne Saunders sexual harassment trial and $11 million judgement). Grunwald now has the dreaded “consultant” tag.

Oh, it’s going to be a fun year in New York.

“I am pleased to be able to welcome Steve back to the Knicks,” James Dolan, executive chairman of The Madison Square Garden Company, said in a released statement. “He is a well-respected sports executive with a strong background in basketball, as well as a familiarity with NBA operations and our company. We look forward to his leadership and believe he is the right person to help us reach our ultimate goal of winning an NBA Championship. We are grateful for Glen’s many years of valuable service and pleased that he will remain with the organization.”

Buzz around the league was Mills was a leading candidate to become the next head of the NBA players union, replacing Billy Hunter, but that seems unlikely now.

With Grunwald out it’s going to put more pressure on Knicks coach Mike Woodson — Woodson and Grunwald were college teammates at Indiana. Mills will likely want his own guy in that chair, as most GMs do.

What other potential changes this could mean is hard to predict because James Dolan is hard to predict — he is the guy who pushed for the Carmelo Anthony trade to happen at the deadline, moving a lot of assets out the door in the process. Dolan gets what he wants, and that can take the team in a lot of different directions

Mood

Default Re: Knicks shake up front office: Glen Grunwald out Steve Mills back in

So they went back to the guy who hired Isiah Thomas in 2003-04 to run things, based on at least in part the advice of Magic Johnson? Sounds good to me.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Knicks gonna Knick, or Dolan's gonna Dolan I guess. Shumpert's probably getting traded now.

Mood

Sports Logo

That would be funny if they brought Isiah back too.
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

That is all I have to say about this.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

All I can say is wow

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Smh Really?

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Hello Isiah

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello Isiah
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post

That is all I have to say about this.
    I've always thought that the problem with the Knicks was the same problem with the Kings and Warriors.....the Owner of the Team. I didn' think that Dolan was a "handsoff" type of Owner....but one that was more involved than he should be

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

J7F

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm torn. One one hand, I'm disappointed that they got rid of the guy that traded for Andrea Bargnani. On the other... the architect of the early-2000s Knicks is back. Win-win for the rest of the upper-tier Eastern Conference teams...
    Last edited by spreedom; 09-27-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I've always thought that the problem with the Knicks was the same problem with the Kings and Warriors.....the Owner of the Team. I didn' think that Dolan was a "handsoff" type of Owner....but one that was more involved than he should be
    Dolan has always been meddlesome, but has so much incoming revenue that he doesn't care.
    If he were in a small market like ours he would have been run out of town on a rail long ago.

PS: Is this the correct usage of green?
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    Dolan has always been meddlesome, but has so much incoming revenue that he doesn't care.
    If he were in a small market like ours he would have been run out of town on a rail long ago.

PS: Is this the correct usage of green?
    I think that Dolan does care that this Team does well....cuz if he didn't care....he wouldn't be so "hands on". The problem is that either he makes the wrong decision...or chooses the wrong people to help him make decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I think that Dolan does care that this Team does well....cuz if he didn't care....he wouldn't be so "hands on". The problem is that either he makes the wrong decision...or chooses the wrong people to help him make decisions.
    Dolan cares - it's just that when it comes to basketball, he has all the intelligence of your average Orangutan testicle. Plus he rewards ***-kissing.

I'm not head over heels wild about our team but I guess you reward the best record we've had in over 15 years by firing the guy who got us there and hiring the guy who oversaw the worst stretch I remember for the team, and the guy who we've been dragging ourselves out from under.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Dolan cares - it's just that when it comes to basketball, he has all the intelligence of your average Orangutan testicle. Plus he rewards ***-kissing.

I'm not head over heels wild about our team but I guess you reward the best record we've had in over 15 years by firing the guy who got us there and hiring the guy who oversaw the worst stretch I remember for the team, and the guy who we've been dragging ourselves out from under.
    yeah, while i am not a knick fan, i could understand your frustration. this dolan guy really is an idiot extraordinaire. i would not be shocked if he brings isiah back either- i really wouldn't.
    i get a feeling that as long as dolan is around- the knicks are going to have little success. may an occasionally good year here and there (probably out of dumb luck) but nothing substantial as he proves all the money in the world can't buy brains.