Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51

Thread: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,346
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the generally accepted term by linguists when it comes to music:

    1. The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.

    Do those artists arrange sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified and evocative composition? They do.

    The fact that you personally dislike it is irrelevant. Yes, it is music. It is a form of art.

    PS: If you don't consider this music then I'd like to see what do you thing about the stuff I listen to

    And I suppose you could say some guy using a jackhammer to break up concrete is performing music too.

    You can call it music, or an art form, or whatever you want; I still might say it's just noise.

    I remain unconvinced, but nice try.
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

  2. #27

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I suppose you could say some guy using a jackhammer to break up concrete is performing music too.

    You can call it music, or an art form, or whatever you want; I still might say it's just noise.

    I remain unconvinced, but nice try.
    Of course, in your day, you tied an onion to your belt...which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that you had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,328

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course, in your day, you tied an onion to your belt...which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that you had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
    Wow. Natlamp sighting.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  5. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,346
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course, in your day, you tied an onion to your belt...which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that you had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

    Ahhh those were the good old days, weren't they?

    lol
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

  6. #30
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    20,794

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    I've got a very complex idea. Don't like rap? Don't click a thread clearly marked to be about rap. Problem solved.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  8. #31
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,453

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course, in your day, you tied an onion to your belt...which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that you had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
    Is there nothing that Abe Simpson can't teach us? Superb orator.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  10. #32
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,162
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This one's for you BobbyMac

    On May 25th, 1970, Roger Brown scored 45 points and the Pacers defeated the Los Angeles Stars
    to clinch their playoff series 4-2 and win their first ABA championship.

    On that week, this song was listed at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.



    With lyrics like that I can understand why your folks hated Rock and Roll.

    Rambo_Lamar, thanks. I rather liked the song, but like I said I'm just a pathetic old guy...lol

    BTW, music from all era have some lyrics that make no sense.

    Also just a casual comment - Can't wait til Saturday!!!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:


  12. #33
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,832

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    different strokes for different folks, the point here is that the pacers are entering pop culture in many forms meaning the rest of the country is starting to see what already saw, this team is for real.

  13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:


  14. #34
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,162
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    RamBo_Lamar, I hope my response is not the reason for your deleted response.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,346
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    No no, I was going to post a sarcastic response to another post higher up but thought
    the better of it.

    Thanks, and even though it is not battle rapping, glad you liked the song!

    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:


  17. #36
    Member Ichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couldn't understand anything that was being said besides a highly offensive racial slur. Is this what music has de-volved into? Blah, blah, blah, BLANK, blah, blah, BLANK, BLANK
    It's less about music and more about competition. Some battles showcase a great amount of skill and clever wordplay.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:


  19. #37
    Member WhoLovesYaBaby?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    525
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    I would rather hear Yo Mamma Joke battles.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:


  21. #38
    Member WhoLovesYaBaby?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    525
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's less about music and more about competition. Some battles showcase a great amount of skill and clever wordplay.
    I don't care for rap music. But I don't care for opera or bluegrass either. I can respect the art and the creativity but still not like it. To each his own. I'm sure it takes some skill to do it right.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:


  23. #39

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't care for rap music. But I don't care for opera or bluegrass either. I can respect the art and the creativity but still not like it. To each his own. I'm sure it takes some skill to do it right.
    Well I know something about you. You went to Cranbrook...that's a private school!

    (I'm assuming this will be locked soon enough, so why not?)

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  25. #40
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,159

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    There's tons and tons of rap that doesn't use excessive vulgar language.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:


  27. #41
    immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Wilderness Fortress, Sahara Desert
    Posts
    790
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I know something about you. You went to Cranbrook...that's a private school!

    (I'm assuming this will be locked soon enough, so why not?)
    Yeah, the only potential worth of this thread continuing might be as a place to put favorite NBA reference bars as they occur, but that might not sit well with others, and there might not be enough people interested enough in the battles.
    We got a new weapon this time around: a Lance forged on the Isle de Coney, built for piercing trolls and false kings alike! Prince Paul rides with this Lance at hand, from the West fortress on Mt. Hibb. He shall pierce the demon heart of your misguided Cavalier, and he shall claim his crown.

    ~War cry of the Ratking (2013 ECF)

  28. #42
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,862
    Mood

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    I liked the recent drop from K.R.I.T. on 4eva and a day (mildly insulting out of context):

    Another shot just before it I don't need a chaser.
    Reggie Miller ain't allowed, we don't like the Pacers,
    When you in my plane hangar
    On the thread's secondary topic, there is a major difference between not liking a particular genre of music personally and saying it is not art. For anyone who finds art worthwhile and important, you're basically denigrating the humanity of all the professionals and fans involved. In regards to hip hop, I have found that the attitude stems from either a profound ignorance of the music or from a hardly hidden layer of cultural bigotry. It's not a disrespect of someone's preferences, but of their humanity.

    Carry on.

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  30. #43
    Member Jose31917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    115

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I prefer don't flop battle scene in the UK. US rappers annoy me for some reason. Cool find though. Thanks for sharing.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose31917 For This Useful Post:


  32. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,346
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I liked the recent drop from K.R.I.T. on 4eva and a day (mildly insulting out of context):



    On the thread's secondary topic, there is a major difference between not liking a particular genre of music personally and saying it is not art. For anyone who finds art worthwhile and important, you're basically denigrating the humanity of all the professionals and fans involved. In regards to hip hop, I have found that the attitude stems from either a profound ignorance of the music or from a hardly hidden layer of cultural bigotry. It's not a disrespect of someone's preferences, but of their humanity.

    Carry on.
    Well, now that I have given this some thought, I have decided that I can be
    every bit as good of a battle rapper as anyone else, and can dish it out with
    the best of them. Would you like to hear it? Maybe or maybe not. Truth be
    told, I would rather not, out of decency, respect, and common courtesy for
    others and their families. I would rather be considerate of others and not
    curse, degrade, humiliate, or be threatening towards them. I very well could
    be though if I wanted to...in a shocking and very proffesional way.
    I chose not to though because I have to live with myself in the end.

    It is a shame we live in times when the money these guys make win out
    over good morals and consideration toward he feelings of others.

    Carry on.

    PS: And this really is not the place for it since we all want the Pacers to
    win.
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 09-26-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:


  34. #45
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,776

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I suppose you could say some guy using a jackhammer to break up concrete is performing music too.

    You can call it music, or an art form, or whatever you want; I still might say it's just noise.

    I remain unconvinced, but nice try.
    Actually, there is a musical genre that is called Noise. They frequently use samples like the one that you described in their compositions.

    So, yeah. It can be called music as well. It doesn't matter if something is dissonant or not. Music is both a science and an art.

    You have every right to dislike some genres of music. Music, like any other art form, gives the recipient the freedom to choose what he likes and what he dislikes. You are free to detest a musical genre all you want but you cannot discredit its status as a musical genre.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  36. #46
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,776

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is a shame we live in times when the money these guys make win out
    over good morals and consideration toward he feelings of others.
    What does that even mean? What good morals and consideration towards the feelings of others have to do with art?

    My friend, it's an art form. The point is not degrade and insult someone else. The point is to arouse feelings and entertain. There is nothing that indicates moral decadence and lack of consideration towards others' feelings.

    Is the vulgar language the problem here? Because that's not a real problem. Vulgarity has been used in art for millennia.

    I'm sure that you're aware of the Homer, the ancient Greek epic poet. I can assure you that he has used vulgar language a lot of times in his work. In high school, every Greek student is required to study his works in order to help us learn the ancient Greek language and understand the roots of our modern language. I still remember a specific part in which Odysseus threatened his wife's suitor that he'd "cut their balls off and feed them to the dogs". And no, that's not a crude translation. This is the direct translation from the ancient Greek text that Homer himself wrote.

    Are you aware of Arthur Rimbaud? He is one of the most important poets of the 20th century and his work has influenced tons of artists in various artistic forms (ranging from literature and poetry to music and painting). A significant percentage of his work used vulgar language and portrayed obscene images (he has also written scatological poems). He led a troubled life that at times mirrored his work. But that doesn't take anything away from his value as an artist.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    -------------

    CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

    13/4/2014

  37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  38. #47
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, now that I have given this some thought, I have decided that I can be
    every bit as good of a battle rapper as anyone else, and can dish it out with
    the best of them. Would you like to hear it? Maybe or maybe not. Truth be
    told, I would rather not, out of decency, respect, and common courtesy for
    others and their families. I would rather be considerate of others and not
    curse, degrade, humiliate, or be threatening towards them. I very well could
    be though if I wanted to...in a shocking and very proffesional way.
    I chose not to though because I have to live with myself in the end.

    It is a shame we live in times when the money these guys make win out
    over good morals and consideration toward he feelings of others.

    Carry on.

    PS: And this really is not the place for it since we all want the Pacers to
    win.
    It's pretty insulting to a genre that you feel you are capable of producing high quality music without any effort. I realize you hate the music, but that is just plain disrespectful to the artist's work.
    @qandrews9428

  39. #48
    immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Wilderness Fortress, Sahara Desert
    Posts
    790
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Jay Rell in latest battle URL Proving Grounds: "we from Detroit. That's the Pistons. We represent that D. It's a violation in the block if you say he did more than 3 seconds in the key. Look, you took charges to travel here. you gonna learn soldier. I can assist you with learning about those alleys...ooops, that ain't **** he should be concerned over. But you knew you were gonna suffer a loss as soon as this turn over. That's the kind of bull **** that get rockets thrown at caskets. Spur of the moment give it sun, bucks and make em do backflips. Your girl, she the size of a grizzly. I told her to Pace-er self. We got a hawk eye on that fat b----, I pre- gamed her. Stretched her out like the warmup before I let her have it. Now I'm gonna make you watch every clip 'er and I made and make you play every position like Magic..that's tragic."

    Woooah! SWAAAG
    We got a new weapon this time around: a Lance forged on the Isle de Coney, built for piercing trolls and false kings alike! Prince Paul rides with this Lance at hand, from the West fortress on Mt. Hibb. He shall pierce the demon heart of your misguided Cavalier, and he shall claim his crown.

    ~War cry of the Ratking (2013 ECF)

  40. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,346
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's pretty insulting to a genre that you feel you are capable of producing high quality music without any effort. I realize you hate the music, but that is just plain disrespectful to the artist's work.
    Well what you call insulting, maybe I'll start calling an art form. And who are you to
    say my music may or may not be high quality especially when you've never even heard
    it? I may just be helping to evolve the already established art to its next level and you
    simply don't understand it...h8r

    PS: But once again, this really isn't the place for it.
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

  41. #50
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,453

    Default Re: Pacer mentions in battle rapping

    Okay guys I've really tried to let this go out of respect to Ratking and I'm still going to in the spirit that he intended.

    In other words no more talking about whether or not you like this particular art form. This was posted because it presented the Pacers, period. If you want to discuss Rap Battle in general go to Market Square and start a thread on it.

    Also just so people don't think I'm picking on them if they don't like the art form I'm stating that we don't need any form of further examples of rap battles unless they specifically refer to the Indiana Pacers or the NBA in general. Again if you want to present some cool stuff you like go to market square and start a thread.

    Thank you all for your co-operation.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •