Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artest to have surgery?

Banned

Default Re: Artest to have surgery?

Considering his numbers over the past 5 weeks, I'd say the Pacers shooting percentages are about to go up.

Unfortunately, so will their opponents'.

Sports Logo

I bet this is why the Pacers are standing pat. They cant afford to trade Al now with Ron out of the lineup. We would go from having way to many sf's to not enought in a hurry.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Harrington and the team play well during this stretch without Ron, it will make this summer VERY interesting. Ronnie could possibly be traded during that time if the team is playing well.

This is Al's time to shine though. As many have said, this shuts down any trades involving Al, but the Mo Taylor trade could possibly happen now. With Bender getting more minutes the Pacers might try and get more of a spark off the bench.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Putting the cart before the horse...

I wonder about Al's attitude when RA comes back and Al is returned to the 6th man role.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Booger

I wonder about Al's attitude when RA comes back and Al is returned to the 6th man role.
    He'll get over it. He always does...

Actually despite the fact this is bad news for the Pacers there are 2 positives.

1- It was a thumb injury so Artest will be able to continue running after the surgery and he will stay in cardio shape unlike a knee or ankle injury.

2- It is his left thumb and I know he likes to shoot left handed and use his left hand dribbling but it still isn't his shooting hand which is a positive.

But hopefully he will make a strong comeback in time for the playoffs I always hate seeing teams in contention for a title lose key players to injuries.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually despite the fact this is bad news for the Pacers there are 2 positives.

1- It was a thumb injury so Artest will be able to continue running after the surgery and he will stay in cardio shape unlike a knee or ankle injury.

2- It is his left thumb and I know he likes to shoot left handed and use his left hand dribbling but it still isn't his shooting hand which is a positive.

But hopefully he will make a strong comeback in time for the playoffs I always hate seeing teams in contention for a title lose key players to injuries.
    Yeah I'd probably expect a 2-4 week timetable for Ronnie to be out.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Taking the way out spazoid thought...

the Dampier trade was rumored to include Dunleavy a sweet shooting, ball handling (slow footed) Small Forward. So if they REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted Dampier for the 5 spot...
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Taking the way out spazoid thought...

the Dampier trade was rumored to include Dunleavy a sweet shooting, ball handling (slow footed) Small Forward. So if they REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted Dampier for the 5 spot...
    No no no no no no no No NO!!!

Sorry, but if Brian Cardinal takes minutes away from you on a regular basis, you're a bum. No way do I want Dunleavy anywere near our team.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Interesting. This could possibly cost Harrington the Sixth Man of the Year Award.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Pacers are a 60 win team with Ronnie but a 50 win team without Ronnie, that equates to a 17-12 record that will still get them homecourt in the east, but not overall.

Just won't be as much fun to watch the Pacers every night now

But still more fun than watching IU
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Awwwwwwww

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think this bears repeating on the proper thread:

Anybody wishing Ron would have just had the surgery back in January?

Some quick research on torn ligaments in the thumb:

http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=29

If you have surgery, you will be placed in a thumb spica cast for four weeks. Some doctors will take the spica cast off at four weeks and then place your thumb in an immobilizing splint for another two weeks. Some patients work with a physical or occupational therapist to help regain range of motion and strength in the thumb. Most patients are able to return to normal activity three months after their surgery.

Emphasis Added
    So since he's a professional athlete and not a "most patients", lets say he's back on the court in six weeks. That gives him and the team the last week of the regular season to get ready for the playoffs. Not much time.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

If you have surgery, you will be placed in a thumb spica cast for four weeks. Some doctors will take the spica cast off at four weeks and then place your thumb in an immobilizing splint for another two weeks. Some patients work with a physical or occupational therapist to help regain range of motion and strength in the thumb. Most patients are able to return to normal activity three months after their surgery.

Emphasis Added
    So since he's a professional athlete and not a "most patients", lets say he's back on the court in six weeks. That gives him and the team the last week of the regular season to get ready for the playoffs. Not much time.
    Well, it's not like the whole team is going to sit on its hands until the last week. Plus, Ron's always ready to play, so he'll only have rust for a game or two max (remember last year when he missed the preseason? Couldn't tell in the reg. season).

I think we'll come together quick when Ron comes back.

Emphasis Added
    Well, it's not like the whole team is going to sit on its hands until the last week. Plus, Ron's always ready to play, so he'll only have rust for a game or two max (remember last year when he missed the preseason? Couldn't tell in the reg. season).

I think we'll come together quick when Ron comes back.
    The difference is that assumes he's coming back right as the splint comes off. I know its his non-shooting hand and he's a tough guy but I'm not sure he'll be cleared to play *that* quickly anyway.

I'm really not trying to be a "prophet of doom", but this is serious stuff here. Really, this is what has put me in a bad mood today - Wallace to Detroit for nothing was just the "icing on the cake."

The difference is that assumes he's coming back right as the splint comes off. I know its his non-shooting hand and he's a tough guy but I'm not sure he'll be cleared to play *that* quickly anyway.

I'm really not trying to be a "prophet of doom", but this is serious stuff here. Really, this is what has put me in a bad mood today - Wallace to Detroit for nothing was just the "icing on the cake."
    splint off ???????

HO STOP, this is Ron ARTEST we're talking about, remember, the BEAST?

I'll wager you a bottle of Dahlwinnie (16+) he'll be on the practise floor WITH the splint and finding ways to get to play with that same splint on.

Let's face it, the man is a junkie, without a fix of ball a day he would wither away, die, dissapear.

I know, normal mortals like you and I being competitive would be back in approx 6 weeks, mere mortals take the route described, (tose who have a boss to go to and a healthy insurance cover on the stay at home sick line) but geesh, this is something different, you think you can stop him from playing? This is the same man they had to kick out of Conseco over the summer so he could have a day off!

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Yeah, but he'll have to be cleared by a doctor who will recognize that until the tendon and the rest of thumb regain some strength, it will be fairly easy to hyperextend the thumb or rupture the tendon. Not only that, but there might be a rule that prohibits him from being on the court during a game if he is wearing a splint - for the safety of the other players.

I know he's tough - that's not the point - this is surgery for a torn tendon and these things take time. I've had knee surgery - I knew how quickly I could get back onto the track and race after a regular injury, but once they start cutting and sewing tendons back together its an entirely different world.

Carlisle on his radio tonight said artest will be gone at least 4 weeks and max of 8 weeks.

But from what Rick said it was just a matter of time, because the thumb kept poping out of joint

Tim

Are you aware that a couple o weeks back Ron was not going to play a game, then at the last minute decided he was going to play but wanted to come off the bench.
    Al then told Rick to start Ron to maintain the rotation.

Al always had a attitude about the team, I don't see why he gets slammed so much here.

Just won't be as much fun to watch the Pacers every night now
    Do you have a 23 jersey with "Artest" on the back and front?......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731