Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Trent Richardson to Colts for 1st round pick

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Trent Richardson to Colts for 1st round pick

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Browns 2-0 since the trade and now tied for the division lead in what has become a weak division! Browns defense is a top 5 in the league. Just need an offense that can get near 20 PPG.
    Hope you're not correlating their 2-0 to Trent Richardson, because their turn-around has had nothing to do with their rushing attack. It was the switch to Hoyer and the return of Josh Gordon... and Jordan Cameron is a beast. They had a decent defense, and now they seem to have found a spark in the passing game. I wouldn't count on it lasting too long, though, I think Hoyer has snuck up on people and it'll just be a matter of games before the league gets a book on him.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Trent Richardson appears to be the exact same player as Vick Ballard. Not sure Vick Ballard = a 1st round draft pick
    Like I've been saying, draft position doesn't mean jack ****. Ballard (5th round) better than D. Brown (1st round). Arian Foster is a top 5 back --- wasn't even drafted.

I don't think Ballard is as good as Trent Richardson.

When I look at our rushing attack, I mainly see a big problem with our O-Line. I don't think it's fair to judge our backs right now when there is zero holes or penetration being created for them to run through. Our team is pretty stout on a number of fronts except our O-line.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    1) Majority of Browns fans would not have voted that it was a good trade WHEN the trade occurred
    Plenty of people around me were either indifferent or thought they got good value for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Hope you're not correlating their 2-0 to Trent Richardson, because their turn-around has had nothing to do with their rushing attack. It was the switch to Hoyer and the return of Josh Gordon... and Jordan Cameron is a beast. They had a decent defense, and now they seem to have found a spark in the passing game. I wouldn't count on it lasting too long, though, I think Hoyer has snuck up on people and it'll just be a matter of games before the league gets a book on him.
    Gosh I hope so, cause it is tough up here with them doing well.

When I look at our rushing attack, I mainly see a big problem with our O-Line. I don't think it's fair to judge our backs right now when there is zero holes or penetration being created for them to run through. Our team is pretty stout on a number of fronts except our O-line.
    It's still way too small of a sample size to draw many conclusions from, but with Richardson's history I can see how this is starting to be a little bit of a concern:

Bradshaw 41 carries, 4.5 average
    Brown 13 carries, 9.2 average
    Richardson 33 carries, 2.9 average
    Ballard 13 carries, 4.8 average

The offensive line seems to be opening up holes for everybody else. And Richardson was supposed to be the guy who was more talented than any of them, the one who didn't need everything around him to be good to succeed.

Still lots of time to turn it around, but it has been a very bad start. The fact that it matches the concerns that were surrounding him in Cleveland makes it harder to ignore as well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's been in the system for a week and a half. I'd say it's way too early to be drawing any serious conclusions from. He did have 60 tough yards yesterday, with a TD. It's becoming pretty obvious how they're going to use him, and it's not the rare deep ball that DBrown seems to bust out once every few games (which is the ONLY thing he's good at). They're grounding and pounding it with TRich. Once the O-line starts to get it's *** in gear, we'll see a better average from TRich. He had a bad o-line in Cleveland and a not much better one here in Indy. Did people really expect him to roll out in San Fran with a huge game after 2 days? I'd be more concerned if I was seeing holes and he wasn't hitting them... but I'm not. He's getting the ball and getting hit almost immediately, or getting the ball and the line has created just no space for him. And then Brown entered the game and a *gaping* hole opened up the middle.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 09-30-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's been in the system for a week and a half. I'd say it's way too early to be drawing any serious conclusions from. He did have 60 tough yards yesterday, with a TD. It's becoming pretty obvious how they're going to use him, and it's not the rare deep ball that DBrown seems to bust out once every few games (which is the ONLY thing he's good at). They're grounding and pounding it with TRich. Once the O-line starts to get it's *** in gear, we'll see a better average from TRich. He had a bad o-line in Cleveland and a not much better one here in Indy. Did people really expect him to roll out in San Fran with a huge game after 2 days? I'd be more concerned if I was seeing holes and he wasn't hitting them... but I'm not. He's getting the ball and getting hit almost immediately, or getting the ball and the line has created just no space for him. And then Brown entered the game and a *gaping* hole opened up the middle.
    T Rich is a good, middle of the road RB. I was expecting more of a game changer though. Him and Bradshaw do make an intimidating power running game
    David "And One" West

Like I've been saying, draft position doesn't mean jack ****.
    I'm sorry, but you cannot possibly be serious with that comment.

I'm not buying the excuses being made for Trent Richardson. His numbers here through two games, fine, take that however you will, toss them out for all I care, but at no point during his NFL career has he shown himself to be anything special. If he was "elite" then he wouldn't need an All-Pro offensive line to average more than 3 yards per carry. And if you are trading a first round pick for a running back, I would make damn sure he is elite.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm not buying the excuses being made for Trent Richardson. His numbers here through two games, fine, take that however you will, toss them out for all I care, but at no point during his NFL career has he shown himself to be anything special. If he was "elite" then he wouldn't need an All-Pro offensive line to average more than 3 yards per carry. And if you are trading a first round pick for a running back, I would make damn sure he is elite.

What would our running back situation be right now if we had not made the trade? I'm a huge Bradshaw fan, but clearly that guy's health is going to be a question mark from week to week. Do you want to risk Donald Brown being the team's primary running back?

What are the odds of our 20 something pick being better than Richardson?

I know this.... when the Colts are at the goal line I'm hollering for the handoff to Richardson. He's a touch SOB and that's where this is paying/going to pay off.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    What would our running back situation be right now if we had not made the trade? I'm a huge Bradshaw fan, but clearly that guy's health is going to be a question mark from week to week. Do you want to risk Donald Brown being the team's primary running back?

What are the odds of our 20 something pick being better than Richardson?
    Donald Brown's numbers sure look better than Trent Richardson's last week.

I'm fine with making a trade for another back--something like a 4th or 5th rounder for a middle of the road type of guy would have been fine by me.

This isn't the NBA draft guys. NFL first round picks have a ton of value, even in the 20s. What are the odds that player is better than Richardson? I don't know, it really depends on what you think of Richardson. Seeing as how I think he is an average, replacement level NFL running back, I would wager that we could get someone better with a pick in the 20s. A quick glance at Mel Kiper's Big Board (way early for this, I grant you) has two guards ranked in the 20s who would help solidify our pathetic offensive line. Guards taken in the first round are usually pretty safe picks, and it addresses what is, in my mind, our biggest weakness.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    I know this.... when the Colts are at the goal line I'm hollering for the handoff to Richardson. He's a touch SOB and that's where this is paying/going to pay off.
    Has our goal line offense really been a problem though?

Donald Brown's numbers sure look better than Trent Richardson's last week.

I'm fine with making a trade for another back--something like a 4th or 5th rounder for a middle of the road type of guy would have been fine by me.

This isn't the NBA draft guys. NFL first round picks have a ton of value, even in the 20s. What are the odds that player is better than Richardson? I don't know, it really depends on what you think of Richardson. Seeing as how I think he is an average, replacement level NFL running back, I would wager that we could get someone better with a pick in the 20s. A quick glance at Mel Kiper's Big Board (way early for this, I grant you) has two guards ranked in the 20s who would help solidify our pathetic offensive line. Guards taken in the first round are usually pretty safe picks, and it addresses what is, in my mind, our biggest weakness.
    Of course Brown's numbers looked better last week. He broke for a 50 yard run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Of course Brown's numbers looked better last week. He broke for a 50 yard run.
    The longest rush of Richardson's career is 32 yards. His longest reception is 27 yards. Them is the facts.

I'm not saying I think Donald Brown is better than Trent Richardson, but I don't think the difference between the two is as great as some would have you believe.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    I know this... when the Colts are at the goal line, under Pep Hamilton, they will pass it 3 times (!!!!!) and if they don't succeed they will kick the FG.

Seriously though, how bad was the playcalling on that set of downs when we were at the Jags' 4? Not even a single running play. First and goal-pass, 2nd and goal-pass, 3rd and goal- pass. What makes it even worse, they were poorly designed plays as well. Only the 3rd pass (where Reggie caught it but was out of bounds) was remotely close to being good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are we seriously now back on the Donald Brown train? I thought it was well-established that he was not starting material? He's fantastic at exactly what he did --- coming in as an off-speed back to surprise defenses with huge runs. He's not great at the goal-line, he's not great getting starter carries, he's not good between the tackles, and he's a terrible pass blocker (GDI, Donald!).
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 10-01-2013 at 12:26 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Are we seriously now back on the Donald Brown train? I thought it was well-established that he was not starting material? He's fantastic at exactly what he did --- coming in as an off-speed back to surprise defenses with huge runs. He's not great at the goal-line, he's not great getting starter carries, he's not good between the tackles.
    That locomotive is empty. I was merely pointing out numbers. I am not, and never have been, on the Donald Brown train. Again, I am not a fan of spending first round picks on running backs. Didn't love the Brown pick, and have enjoyed very little of his work in the NFL thus far.

Trent Richardson has had two 20+ yard rushes in 331 attempts. 14 10+ yd runs. 33 rushes for loss. The games he's having in Indy are the games he was having in Cleveland. Last year the Cleveland line was rated 5th in the league. He saw 8 men in the box 17% of his touches(league average is 23). You absolutely cannot blame Cleveland's o-line for anything.

Question, if Dammit Donald isn't a starter(he isn't, that's a unanimous thought) then what does it mean when he's outperforming Trent?

The longest rush of Richardson's career is 32 yards. His longest reception is 27 yards. Them is the facts.

I'm not saying I think Donald Brown is better than Trent Richardson, but I don't think the difference between the two is as great as some would have you believe.
    Not having to watch Donald Brown consistently whiff on blocks is worth a pick in the 20s, for me anyways.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Not having to watch Donald Brown consistently whiff on blocks is worth a pick in the 20s, for me anyways.
    Then sign an older veteran or trade a late round pick for someone else's backup who can block. Problem solved, first round pick saved.

Then sign an older veteran or trade a late round pick for someone else's backup who can block. Problem solved, first round pick saved.
    Who do you have in mind? Those guys are not a dime a dozen and when a team gets an all around back who can block, catch and run they don't normally trade them or let them go. The only reason why Bradshaw was let go was due to injuries but those guys aren't available normally and for what its worth we tried that last year with Mewelde Moore and that was a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Who do you have in mind? Those guys are not a dime a dozen and when a team gets an all around back who can block, catch and run they don't normally trade them or let them go. The only reason why Bradshaw was let go was due to injuries but those guys aren't available normally and for what its worth we tried that last year with Mewelde Moore and that was a disaster.
    That's kind of my point: They are a dime a dozen. You can find running backs on the waiver wire I'm sure who can manage to average 3-4 yards per carry and not be a total disaster as a blocker.

Since you asked for names, I just did a quick glance at running back depth charts for all teams and here are some guys who are intriguing: Jason Snelling, Jacquizz Rodgers, Toby Gerhart (I think I read somewhere that we inquired about him and were rebuffed), Mikel Leshoure, Ronnie Brown--those types. On the free agent market, Beanie Wells is intriguing and Michael Turner wouldn't be bad as an emergency type.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ummm.. we did. His name is Ahmad Bradshaw. He's injured. We're down two RBs right now. The blah attitude towards RBs in this day and age is crazy. Most SB winners don't have a lame-duck rotation at RB. You gotta have some talent at the position. Ravens = Rice. Giants = Bradshaw/Jacobs. Indy = Addai/Rhodes. You can't ignore the position.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

That's kind of my point: They are a dime a dozen. You can find running backs on the waiver wire I'm sure who can manage to average 3-4 yards per carry and not be a total disaster as a blocker.
    Well, give some names.