Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Trent Richardson to Colts for 1st round pick

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Trent Richardson to Colts for 1st round pick

If Miami had traded a first round pick for Richardson instead of the Colts, how many of you would be defending him tooth and nail as you are now? I know the answer, and I know the rebuttals I'm going to get for posing this question.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Goodness, where to start?

I guess at the beginning. Amazingly, I can keep context. Your condescending **** is irritating as ****, for starters. My original argument wasn't that you could plug anyone into a system and get around 3.5 YPC--that was Barnwell's assessment. Seeing as how it is not exactly a lofty total and at around or below the league average, I tend to agree. You are trying to make the point that since Willis McGahee, in his THREE games with the Browns has failed to reach that threshold, that the argument is wholly ridiculous and void. Meanwhile, you are supporting the argument that Trent Richardson will need time to adjust to our system, personnel, and so on while not giving McGahee the same pass. Frankly, their numbers are close enough through a ridiculously small sample size with each of their new teams where I don't think you can draw any conclusions for or against the other if compared head to head at this point.

My opinion is based by facts--Trent Richardson is averaging 3.5 yards per carry for his NFL career at this point. Those numbers were like that in Cleveland, and they have been like that in Indianapolis. You guys are throwing context out there for both cases, and there is something to be said for that for sure, and I have acknowledged as much. I don't assume running backs are a dime a dozen, it's just my personal opinion that the position is not as valuable as it once was, and certainly not worth a first round pick. Is it right? I don't know. Is it wrong? You don't know. It's an opinion. I'm not asking you to agree with it. I'm not saying I know best, I'm just giving my opinion on the matter. It's a message board, after all. We don't all have to agree on everything.

I don't know what Trent is good at anymore than you don't know what he isn't good at. I'm basing my opinion off of what I've seen and what the stats tell me. My eyes tell me he certainly looks the part and my gut tells me that he will eventually be a lot better than he has shown thus far in his NFL career, but 19 games in he has not proven to be worth a first round pick. That's my entire point: I don't think running backs are worth first round picks, especially those with a spotty track record thus far. That's it. Agree, disagree, continue to condescend, I don't care. It's my opinion. Sorry you don't agree with it.
    My apologizes if I am irritating you. I work in research and nothing bothers me more than when people are laid out numerous facts about a subject yet continue fighting it and sometimes I am a sucker for an argument.

That being said I totally agree with you that it's too early to say whether it was a great pick up or not or merely a good pick up and as far as Trent not looking the part well that what the link a page back is good for. After a little over a year many great RBs including HOF RBs haven't looked the part and failed to average a decent ypc. This is why I think Barnwells opinion is trash and belongs in the bin.

As for the dolphins I probably would have felt like it was a good trade for them or any team that projects to have a middle to lower draft pick and has a ground and pound philosophy on offense. It's similar to me as drafting 2 TEs in rounds 2 and 3 which drew some eyebrows. It's the Colts offensive philosophy to value the run game higher than in years past so the draft picks and signings will reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    My apologizes if I am irritating you. I work in research and nothing bothers me more than when people are laid out numerous facts about a subject yet continue fighting it and sometimes I am a sucker for an argument.

That being said I totally agree with you that it's too early to say whether it was a great pick up or not or merely a good pick up and as far as Trent not looking the part well that what the link a page back is good for. After a little over a year many great RBs including HOF RBs haven't looked the part and failed to average a decent ypc. This is why I think Barnwells opinion is trash and belongs in the bin.

As for the dolphins I probably would have felt like it was a good trade for them or any team that projects to have a middle to lower draft pick and has a ground and pound philosophy on offense. It's similar to me as drafting 2 TEs in rounds 2 and 3 which drew some eyebrows. It's the Colts offensive philosophy to value the run game higher than in years past so the draft picks and signings will reflect that.

Sorry, I was pretty drunk at that point in the evening. Didn't mean to be such a jerk.

I've largely enjoyed this back and forth, mainly because there is no right answer, and I would love for Richardson to shove this in my face. Like I said, I think he will get better and his YPC (which Kid Minneapolis is right--we have all overrated the **** out of that stat at this point) will improve. I'd really like to see us call his number in the passing game more this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    You got a bigger sample size now Tinman.

The browns line still sucks and Mcgahee is still below 3 yards per carry.
    Ok. But he punched it in from a yard out. Exactly what I've become accustomed to expecting from Trent. It's nice to know that the expectations for a third overall pick is "marginally better than a rickety 9 year vet".

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So to most of us watching the second half, it became apparent that Trent was starting to break off some tough yards. He actually had 12 carries for 54 yards in the second half, a 4.5 YPC avg, which I think is more in line with what we all have in mind. The yards will come, guys... you can see they are tinkering and integrating him. This is all on the fly. The line also has a lot of work to do. They were getting owned in the first half, and started to make some room in the second.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think what started to work for Trent and the running game was when there was no lead blocker in for him. I think they take up too much space and there isn't enough of that space left over for Trent to find the holes. He's a pretty big guy himself. Something to keep in mind as they use him in the future.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    So to most of us watching the second half, it became apparent that Trent was starting to break off some tough yards. He actually had 12 carries for 54 yards in the second half, a 4.5 YPC avg, which I think is more in line with what we all have in mind. The yards will come, guys... you can see they are tinkering and integrating him. This is all on the fly. The line also has a lot of work to do. They were getting owned in the first half, and started to make some room in the second.
    The Richardson hate is pretty ridiculous in general and I'm glad he's starting to come around.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I think what started to work for Trent and the running game was when there was no lead blocker in for him. I think they take up too much space and there isn't enough of that space left over for Trent to find the holes. He's a pretty big guy himself. Something to keep in mind as they use him in the future.
    I was at the game and when we had two TE or were in the shotgun formation, it seemed we were able to run it a tad better.
    I think T.Rich will find the most success with quick hitting running plays where he makes one read and can go. Some backs are better suited for patient zone blocking type of runs (Arian Foster) where they utilize vision and agility, and other runners just need to get the ball in the single back formation and run to a specified area while allowing their physical gifts to get them yards. I believe Trent is the latter

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

The way I just look at it is we're going to have to appreciate him for what he does and a lot of what he does isn't going to be something you can point to a number and say "SEE!". I think he's the greatest thing that could have happened to donald brown's longevity in the NFL. Instead of debating whether or not he's worth a 1st round pick that is increasingly looking like it will be somewhere in the mid 20's, I'm just content knowing he's on our team and will cheer for him like any other player on the Colts.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

I will also state that he had a number of great blocks against Seattle pass rushers yesterday
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

I will also state that he had a number of great blocks against Seattle pass rushers yesterday
    The first TD pass to HIlton doesn't happen if Trent doesn't pick up the edge blitz. That one sticks out the biggest, but he was great all game against the rush.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    The Richardson hate is pretty ridiculous in general and I'm glad he's starting to come around.
    It's not hate. Why would we hate the guy? I just didn't like the trade, and have been arguing why I have that position.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

He had some tough runs, especially that 3rd and 4 late in the game. I'm going to repeat something I said in the Seattle gamethread: I agree that he looks better without the fullback in the game. The fullback seems to be clogging lanes as opposed to blocking defenders. He's starting to come on, and I expect him to keep getting better. I just wish we would throw some more looks his way--a toss, a few counter plays, a screen pass, a wheel, a swing...I just want to see us make an effort to involve him more and get him more touches and more opportunities to showcase his talent. When he's in the game, it's a heavy package and they are running it right up the gut.

They did line up him spread out wide to the right for atleast one play. I liked that wrinkle, eventhough he dropped the pass.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Mood

I think he will run better with a FB when Stanley comes back rather than some guy that's barely been with the team in Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    They did line up him spread out wide to the right for atleast one play. I liked that wrinkle, eventhough he dropped the pass.
    I didn't see that one. I will say that his blocking in the backfield is a breath of fresh air compared to what we have been used to seeing.

two of his first three games are against Seattle and San Fran, both great defenses.... give him a break and he is still adjusting

First offensive play of the game for the Colts.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/...d-a590787fbc2c
    Starting from their 18 after a 26-yard KOR by David Reed, Andrew Luck missed to Trent Richardson, who was lined up wide right. Richardson gained nothing on second down. Under pressure, Luck missed Wayne in the middle of the field. Pat McAfee punted to the Seattle 48.

Seattle won the coin toss and deferred. Indianapolis will receive.
    Since it was a running blog, it reads bottom up.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think it was a screen. I can't remember who, if any, was lined up beside him, but I know it was barely a forward pass and Trent was coming back towards the middle. Hit him right in the hands and fell to the turf.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Speaking of screens and falling to the turf, is DHB ever going to learn to extend his hands and catch the damn ball, and not try to trap it against his chest? Dropping that screen was pitiful. I was glad Reggie stole that pass when the Colts faked the WR screen to Hilton, eventhough if DHB had caught it, it would have been a TD.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

DHB defiantly has to step it up but no matter what the Colts have to draft another wr next year.

I am actually looking foward to this Oline growing over the next 3 years. The RG looks legit and suprisingly McGlynn is probably best suited for the Center position.. also the defense is ranked 5th in points scored and they were 7th worst last year. Grigson is probably one of the best Gms alreay in the league.

I've seen nothing from DHB that makes me want to keep him. He's not good at route running, getting separation, or catching the ball. You know, being a WR. It's silly that he takes away time from TY on the field. There's a huge difference between the two and it's a waste keeping DHB in the game.

It really sucks that we don't have Allen

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

DHB is awful. WR is going to become a need going forward if we intend to keep the superb TY Hilton in the slot.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've seen nothing from DHB that makes me want to keep him. He's not good at route running, getting separation, or catching the ball. You know, being a WR. It's silly that he takes away time from TY on the field. There's a huge difference between the two and it's a waste keeping DHB in the game.

It really sucks that we don't have Allen
    There was nothing that he has shown other than being fast to even bother signing the guy. Colts fans were spouting how now that he has a real QB he would magically learn how to run routes and catch the ball. The guy drops almost half of all his passes thrown to him. That was not going to change. We are going to have to address WR in this coming draft because Reggie is not getting any younger.

I just wish they would mix things up with running Trent. Typically we line up in formations that just scream we are running the ball. Why not try him in more spread formations to give him room to operate? As much as DHB sucks at catching the ball they have to still respect his speed and they will respect the hell out of Wayne and TY. Trent should have much more success against the Chargers. If he cannot get his average up and have a good game against them I will be a bit worried.

DHB's speed has drawn quite a few PI and holding calls so far this year. Granted that may not keep up as team's learn he isn't a huge threat, but so far he's drawn big penalties against Seattle and San Fran.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods