Thread: Windows 8 wants to activate again after being activated 8+ months ago

Mood

Default Windows 8 wants to activate again after being activated 8+ months ago

*edit* After troubleshooting with duke & sandman, ultimately I just decided to refresh my backups and then do a fresh install of Win8, which was probably due anyway. *edit*

So . . . yeah. Last night I was going to shut the PC down before bed, but saw I had the option to update and restart, so I opted to do that and left it alone because I often leave this PC on overnight anyway.

I just logged on a few minutes ago, and it popped up with a full screen message saying I needed to activate Windows 8. Considering I built this PC in Dec/Jan, and of course I successfully activated my copy of Windows 8 (a legit copy, if you need to know) at that time, so suffice it to say that I did not see this one coming.

All I've done so far is restart my PC again. I couldn't read it long because it was gone very quickly, but just before the Windows login screen, it said something about a failure regarding Windows update (I think it was saying it failed regarding the most RECENT updates, presumably the ones from last night).

When I view my update history, the most recent listings are for 09/14/2013:

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760588)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB2760583)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760411)

I'm not convinced those are the updates that did this, however, because while I might be wrong, I'm about 85% sure I restarted the computer after midnight last night to run the updates that apparently caused Windows 8 to want to activate a second time and/or that seemed to have failed according to the message that blinked at me after another restart.

I'm not sure what to do. I still have the key on hand to use again, but what if attempting to activate screws something up because technically that key is already in use, or at least had previously been used?

If I ignore it, what exactly is going to happen besides what I've already noticed (that being: I can't customize Windows right now in any aesthetic way, at least)?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Windows 8 wants to activate again after being activated 8+ months ago

You can activate it again. Not a problem. It may say the key has already been activated, but do it by phone. It'll ask you how many other computers it's been installed on, you say "zero". Then they'll give you a validation code. In theory you can activate Windows on as many PCs you want using this method, but it violates the license agreement and EULA.

Mood

Default Re: Windows 8 wants to activate again after being activated 8+ months ago

Okay, now I see Windows update lists 5 important and 3 options updates available.

Presumably, one or more of these caused the problem:

Important:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2870699)
    Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 for X64-based Systems (KB2880289)
    Security Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Sytems (KB2876315)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 for x64-based Systems (KB2836946)
    Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2871389)

Optional: (I don't think any of these three was attempted last night; while the important ones are checked, these are unchecked)

Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2876415)
    Bing Bar 7.2
    Bing Desktop v1.3

Actually, I thought I had previously uninstalled bing bar and bing desktop.