Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always though Danny WAS a good player but just because I did not think he was the next Reggie Miller didn't mean that I thought he sucked, Danny WAS a good thing for the team but his time has passed.

By the way what kind of music are you going to play when the White horse doesn't show up?
    I can't recall you ever using the word "good" to describe Granger. I can't even recall you ever saying 1 single positive thing about him. I don't want to check through 26,000 post but it wouldn't suprise me if 20,000 were negative comments about Granger.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Not really. Paul will be guarding the other teams main perimeter threat regardless of them being a 2 or 3. Paul is better guarding smaller quicker players than he is guarding bigger, stronger SF's who just take him inside. Also when Danny was our starter two years ago, we were still one of the top rebounding and defensive teams in the league. (and that was with DC starting for most of the year)

Also though Lance is a decent defender, it's not as if he is a lockdown defender by any means that hum going to the bench would hurt our team tremendously on defense
    Cmon man, Paul does not defend guards better than SFs. And if Paul's chasing SGs + defending the best SFs in the league, hows he gonna have energy to be the main guy on offense? I'd prefer Paul not have to work that hard.

Not really. Paul will be guarding the other teams main perimeter threat regardless of them being a 2 or 3. Paul is better guarding smaller quicker players than he is guarding bigger, stronger SF's who just take him inside. Also when Danny was our starter two years ago, we were still one of the top rebounding and defensive teams in the league. (and that was with DC starting for most of the year)

Also though Lance is a decent defender, it's not as if he is a lockdown defender by any means that hum going to the bench would hurt our team tremendously on defense
    Cmon man, Paul does not defend guards better than SFs. And if Paul's chasing SGs + defending the best SFs in the league, hows he gonna have energy to be the main guy on offense? I'd prefer Paul not have to work that hard.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    I don't think you got the memo, Danny Granger fanboys want Paul George to focus on D so DG can spend all his energy jacking up shots because after all "he used to score 25ppg and is a better offensive weapon".

Some people are "underrating" him because they feel he is stealing the shine of their boy Danny Granger, I don't think is coincidence that Danny Granger fanboys are the ones that usually crap on Lance and Paul George.
    What? Who craps on Paul George?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I always thought Danny WAS a good player
    When was this? Haven't you been wanting him traded for Monta Ellis since day one?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    I am saying underrated because people act like they don't care whether or not he is apart of the future. He showed flashes of brilliance last year, yes he made mistakes too, but the guy was just 22 last season. His potential is enormous, you don't let that walk away.
    It is "a part" not "apart" they have the opposite meanings, learn it.

I don't understand why everyone hasn't put vnzla on ignore yet. His opinion is worthless.

One thing is for sure. The only way this is going to be an easy choice is if:

1) Granger comes up lame.
    2) Granger is ~100% healthy and Lance doesn't progress at all.

Otherwise, you will be hearing this debate all year long. These two players both can add a lot to the starting unit.

The only thing holding back Lance is experience, but he does need to improve. If he makes a similar jump as last year, he will leave Danny in the dust. I don't care how well Danny shoots. There is more to the game than shooting the basketball. BTW, Lance's FG% is even better.....

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Guess you missed much of the playoffs where he was constantly beaten in the post by bigger SF's (Smith, Melo, Lebron). He also wasn't very effective defensively in the two games he played against KD either (but who is)

Paul is a very good defender don't get me wrong, but he's not strong enough to play bigger SF in the post consistently, period. No he isn't as effective guarding small quick combo guards either, but there aren't many of those starting in the league. He is however very good at guarding prototypical 2guards (Harden, Kobe, Wade, JR Smith, etc)

Also just because someone starts off at a position, he's not playing there all game. Paul is young enough to be able to guard the opposing teams best offensive player and still be effective on offense. It's not like Paul will be counted on to score 25 plus ppg--as our team is very balanced offensively.

Lastly, to not have Paul guard the other teams top perimeter threat would be taking away one of our teams best attributes. He's done it since he's been a starter, and I'm sure he will continue to do so--whether they are a 2guard or a SF. This will continue to be the case whether Lance or Danny starts.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 09-16-2013 at 11:04 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Banned

Guess you missed much of the playoffs where he was constantly beaten in the post by bigger SF's (Smith, Melo, Lebron).
    I guess you missed the part were he outplayed all those guys but Lebron .... And is not like he let Lebron abused him(as somebody we know and you think is a "better post defender") either.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess you missed the part were he outplayed all those guys but Lebron .... And is not like he let Lebron abused him(as somebody we know and you think is a "better post defender") either.
    You can still outplay a player while getting beat on post-ups.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Lebron didn't abuse him, but he did abuse him in the post during games 3 and 5 to the point that we (on PD) were wondering how Vogel was going to counter that.

It's truly a moot point to argue this subject with you. Its funny that you quoted this particular part out of my entire post, as if i were "crapping" on Paul as you like to say. You can point out a players weakness without "crapping" on him.

For example, Roy is the best rim defender in the league bar none...but Joakim Noah can guard smaller quicker bigs because of his lateral quickness. This is a FACT, but it doesn't mean I'm downplaying Roy at all (see what I'm saying here?)

In the end no matter what facts are thrown out, it'll turn into a Paul vs Danny debate for you; which isn't what I'm trying to have. Bottom line, Paul is a great defender, much more gifted laterally and athletically than Danny. But Danny is still twice the defender in the post against bigger SFs than Paul is at this point. But when faced with similar sized wings, Paul eats them up for breakfast defensively. THAT was my point.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 09-16-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Banned

Lebron didn't abuse him, but he did abuse him in the post during games 3 and 5 to the point that we (on PD) were wondering how Vogel was going to counter that.

It's truly a moot point to argue this subject with you. Its funny that you quoted this particular part out of my entire post, as if i were "crapping" on Paul as you like to say. For example, Roy is the best rim defender in the league bar none...but Joakim Noah can guard smaller quicker bigs because of his lateral quickness. This is a FACT, but it doesn't mean I'm downplaying Roy at all (see what I'm saying here?)

In the end no matter what facts are thrown out, it'll turn into a Paul vs Danny debate for you which isn't what I'm trying to have. Bottom line, Paul is a great defender, much more gifted laterally and athletically than Danny. But Danny is still twice the defender in the post against bigger SFs than Paul is at this point. But when faced with similar sized wings, Paul eats them up for breakfast defensively. THAT was my point.
    Twice the post defender at this point? Lol I didn't know we were talking about NBA2K11, remind me who got destroyed by Lebron few years ago again?

remind me who got destroyed by Lebron few years ago again?
    Everybody that he played against. That was some of the best individual basketball I've seen anybody play in years.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Twice the post defender at this point? Lol I didn't know we were talking about NBA2K11, remind me who got destroyed by Lebron few years ago again?
    This is actually comical and frankly reeks of desperation. So the standard for judging a player defensively is how they do against LeBron James? I see.....

It matters not, again I'm not here to engage you on this because...well you know.

Instead I'm here to present you with this.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

According to basketball reference.com

LBJ 2011/2012 series against the pacers: 30 ppg on 50% shooting

LBJ 2012/2013 series against the pacers: 29 ppg on 50% shooting

Yet one was completely and utterly destroyed while the other played lockdown D? Okay, got it...
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 09-17-2013 at 03:08 AM.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I always though Danny WAS a good player but just because I did not think he was the next Reggie Miller didn't mean that I thought he sucked, Danny WAS a good thing for the team but his time has passed.

By the way what kind of music are you going to play when the White horse doesn't show up?
    I'll make you a deal, I'll let you choose the song.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    It shocks me how underrated Lance is here.

Whether he starts this year or not, we need to get him on a long term contract.
    Weird. Because to me, the one who's already underrated here is Danny. And majority of the posters here are either already throwing him out of town or have accepted that this will probably be his last year.

Don't get me wrong, I also advocate keeping Lance long term, and I feel those "pro-Danny" camps also agree. But it really looks like fans (apparently here on PD) feel that Danny is stepping on Lance's toes, which I think isn't the case. They bring different dimensions to this team, and they are strongly united with the other guys. Sometimes, we just have some selective memory or something in here.

Regardless, who's starting doesn't really matter. What matters is how this team as it is right now can keep healthy and be productive for the whole season (and post season since this is already an expectation for this strong lineup).

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Granger, a volume shooter with a lower fg percentage than Lance, was given the green light to try and score 20 every night. Lance was rarely given that opportunity, in fact I don't know if he ever was. He was just so good some nights he happened to score 20.
    6 nights. 6 nights in his entire career.

http://bkref.com/tiny/Sou5h

I don't even like Danny Granger, but come on.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

http://bkref.com/tiny/Sou5h

I don't even like Danny Granger, but come on.
    6 nights in what was basically his rookie season of playing time. I know that he was a third year player last year, but the dude barely played in his first two seasons.

Lance definitely needs to continue to improve, but I'll gladly put my money on a 23 year old with only one season of playing time under his belt. Plus he has a strong work ethic, excellent coaching, great teammates, and one of the five greatest players in league history acting as a personal mentor.

According to basketball reference.com

LBJ 2011/2012 series against the pacers: 30 ppg on 50% shooting

LBJ 2012/2013 series against the pacers: 29 ppg on 50% shooting

Yet one was completely and utterly destroyed while the other played lockdown D? Okay, got it...
    There was also a very significant factor in much better Roy Hibbert guarding the rim this year for Paul versus last year for Danny.
    You're right in thinking that Danny does guard bigger sf's better then Paul.
    Paul also guards the 2 better then Lance and the end result is that the tandem of Danny and Paul is a greater defensive combo then the tandem of Paul and Lance. Both are great because of PG though.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    6 nights in what was basically his rookie season of playing time. I know that he was a third year player last year, but the dude barely played in his first two seasons.
    The problem is saying those 6 nights are more important than 4 years worth of Danny doing it.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Yep. Only six nights he somehow got the chance to shoot enough to score 20.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Yep. Only six nights he somehow got the chance to shoot enough to score 20.
    So Vogel is such a stupid coach that he handcuffs a scorer good enough to rank in the top of the league, just because? Or does Lance not get the opportunity, beause he's not a good enough scorer to give free reign to?

I'm thinking Vogel just hates Lance like the rest of us.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This is actually comical and frankly reeks of desperation. So the standard for judging a player defensively is how they do against LeBron James?
    I'm not the one that came up with that standard read the previous posts were the "unbiased" people are saying that "DG is twice the post defender"(hilarious) that Paul George is because Lebron scored on him.

lol now the Danny Granger is a good post defender myth is spreading like wildfire, first Suckleavy and his great "team defense" and now this
    Last edited by vnzla81; 09-17-2013 at 09:27 AM.