Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

I think Lance needs to show he can rebound at that higher rate for an longer period of time than just through the playoffs. I know it's nice, but I'm not real sure it's sustainable. The guy doubled his rebounding from the regular season. If he regresses to 5-7 rebounds, the difference between him and Danny are negligible.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I can't wait for the season to come and I hope Danny is back better than ever and Lance makes an improvement jump like Paul George. That will rock my face off.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

People are living in the past if they think Granger will be better than Lance this year. We will not see the same Danny Granger as we did pre-injury...ever again. Not just because of the knee but because he's moving out of his prime years. He is still a very good shooter. But defensively, folks, he's not going to be as good. ..and he wasn't that good pre-injury.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People are living in the past if they think Granger will be better than Lance this year. We will not see the same Danny Granger as we did pre-injury...ever again. Not just because of the knee but because he's moving out of his prime years. He is still a very good shooter. But defensively, folks, he's not going to be as good. ..and he wasn't that good pre-injury.
    THe pre-injury Danny Granger absolutely carried this team 2 years ago in the playoffs. He set the tone, he was reason we gave the Heat such a tough run that year, until he got Lebron'd on that 3 pter. Honestly just look at how team imploded after he got injured before the half in Game 5 of that series.

I actually think that Danny will focus more on defense this year and just try to be an efficient shooter. You won't see him trying to get to the rim very much. I'm sure he knows where ever he lands after this season he is going to have to settle into being more of a role player, the 3rd option type guy.

I dunno if Lance starts over him or not, but they will probably get pretty equal minutes. Problem with Lance is that "Lance Giveth and Lance Taketh away" So for everything he does well in a game, he gives you some bone headed mistakes to go along with it.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    THe pre-injury Danny Granger absolutely carried this team 2 years ago in the playoffs. He set the tone, he was reason we gave the Heat such a tough run that year, until he got Lebron'd on that 3 pter.

Granger averaged 13 PPG on 37% shooting in that 2012 Heat series.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Personally, I'm looking forward to Granger's return. As for those expecting him to produce much less than before, I'm not so sure about that. Why?

Well, two years ago, it was a pretty common saying that "So goes Granger, so goes the Pacers". I think that statement was used quite often on this board, and I also think it was the belief around the league. So much so that nearly all opponents focused on trying to stop Granger.

If we throw Granger into our starting lineup, not that his scoring is even required there, who is the opponent going to focus on? Granger? George? West? Hibbert? I think there is one thing we can ALL agree on when comparing our scoring this past season with the scoring from two years ago. West's knee is healed and he is a significantly improved offensive player. George and Hibbert have grown offensively by leaps and bounds.

Should the opponent key on any one of these four players, at least two of the other three are going to burn them. And, if they key on George specifically, I don't think they will hold him back much while also giving up a substantial number of open looks to Granger. Really, think about it. With Hill's ability to hit open perimeter shots, do you really see an opponent keying on any of our perimeter players when George, Granger and Hill are in the lineup together?

I think opponents are far more likely to try and take away our interior scoring. And with Scola and Copeland now in the fold, I say good luck with that. Pick your poison, and we have a response. The only other tactic I see them using is to try to slow Hill down in the backcourt, but I think Hill can handle it.

Defensively, I think we will fair a lot better with Granger in the lineup than most of Granger's detractors give our team credit for. Notice I said "give our team credit for" and not "give Granger credit for". And that is because we have a defensive scheme that seems to do an excellent job of overcoming the deficiencies in any one player when our starters are on the floor. I'm not conceding yet that Granger will be a defensive liability, at least not until I see him play. But if he isn't quite up to par, I do have the confidence that our other starters can help overcome the problems.

I'm stoked. Let's get this thing started.
    Last edited by beast23; 09-10-2013 at 11:53 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    If he's healthy I doubt if he's that much worse at 30 then he was at 28. The thing is he doesn't have to be pre-injured Danny Granger to be better then Lance. If Granger has lost a step he'll still be better then Lance. I doubt if Lance ever averages the numbers Granger did even 2 years ago let alone at his peak. But to the original point of the article, the reason Granger starts and finishes isn't just because he should be the better player which I think he will, Granger is the seasoned vet that will play with more consistency and won't make the mistakes that Lance does. A coach that's in win now mode will almost always start the vet and play the vet when the game is on the line. And when it comes to the playoffs, I'd much rather have the combination of Granger and PG guarding Lebron and Wade. You can put Granger on Lebron and let PG try to shut down Wade. You can't put Lance on Lebron.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    If he's healthy I doubt if he's that much worse at 30 then he was at 28. The thing is he doesn't have to be pre-injured Danny Granger to be better then Lance. If Granger has lost a step he'll still be better then Lance. I doubt if Lance ever averages the numbers Granger did even 2 years ago let alone at his peak. But to the original point of the article, the reason Granger starts and finishes isn't just because he should be the better player which I think he will, Granger is the seasoned vet that will play with more consistency and won't make the mistakes that Lance does. A coach that's in win now mode will almost always start the vet and play the vet when the game is on the line. And when it comes to the playoffs, I'd much rather have the combination of Granger and PG guarding Lebron and Wade. You can put Granger on Lebron and let PG try to shut down Wade. You can't put Lance on Lebron.
    This is really the crux of the argument behind the attached article. Essentially, Granger would have to have the worst season of his career to fall below what Lance will give you as our 2nd win. In the starting lineup, Lance will be the fifth option. In the starting lineup, there is a very good chance Granger is NOT the fifth option night in and night out.

If defensively Lance proves to be far and away better than Granger next year then I'm sure Vogel will adjust the rotation to ensure Lance is playing when he needs to be.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

I'm just going to trust Frank to make the right call and will go with whatever he says is best.

If it's Lance, great. We have a long upwardly mobile career in front of us to look forward to.

If it's Danny, great. We have a seasoned all-star veteran who at times can be a prolific scorer.

Sure beats arguing between Mike Dunleavey & Brandon Rush.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

18. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I kinda liked the defined pecking order we had with Lance in the starting lineup. I also liked the speed he brought to the position. And I liked the swagger he brought. And obviously it worked well considering the season and playoffs. And it's hard to think he's peaked. So is it really a no-brainer to think Granger is an easy choice over Lance? In fact, I'd argue with Lance in the starting lineup we were able to find out some new things about that group's ability and potential.

To me, the easy choice is to not 'fix' what is not broken and instead insert Granger into the 2nd unit where things actually were broken. Meanwhile let's see if the starting unit can use last year's experience to grow even stronger and see if we can push them closer to their ceiling/potential. After that, figure out who we can't afford to lose...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I personally think that if Lance plays well enough to make us choose him over Granger, Lance will play the market hard and price himself out of Indiana.
    Easily the most underrated comment in this thread.

The people voting Lance Stephenson to start must enjoy the idea of only having him one more season. I think it's possible we can afford to re-sign him if he comes off the bench but if he starts, kiss him goodbye imo. He just turned 23, is built like a mini Lebron, does all of the little things and most importantly, he's shown improvement shooting 3's. In college and his first couple of years in the league, dude couldn't hit a 3 to save his life. Teams have seen his improvement and someone will roll the dice on him if he's contributing on a team that's going toe to toe with Miami. Copeland did nothing but shoot 3's in the playoffs and we gave him what, 3 million a year? Surely other teams saw Stephenon's performance against the Knicks and they've seen him continually beat everyone down the floor for easy buckets. Heck, simply increasing his 3 point percentage by .2 or more might put him out of our price range within itself. Teams will see a player that can play inside, outside, run the floor, body up, grab boards, get steals and so on. People love him so much I guess they're excited to see him leave. The fastest way to push him out of Indiana is to start him imo.

Let's say Stephenson is better than Granger as some people tend to believe. But there isn't a big drop off in production in the starting unit by starting Granger. Wouldn't it be way smarter start Granger and help keep Stephenson's value down as opposed to starting him and guaranteeing you lose him? We won't pay the luxury tax so all someone has to do is offer him a million more than we can and he's gone barring being willing to take a paycut. That or we're going to have to try and dump players off on other teams to open up cap space to give Stephenson more. Maybe we can package more 1st round picks to dump bad contracts like Gerald Green and poor draft picks like Miles Plumlee. If Granger is capable, it's wise to bring Stephenson off the bench if you have any desire to keep him in Indy. That's just my opinion though.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

I am with Peck on this.

I don't have a strong opinion either way. A strong case can be made for either Danny or Lance starting.

My only hope is that Danny is healthy

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Well Granger is a better starter than Lance we know that. But at the same time, how healthy will DG be come opening night?
    "We want Miami"

If Danny is relatively healthy it would take a huge jump for Lance to be a better player next year, a jump that isn't likely in my opinion. That said you don't necessarily always start the better player, especially when you have two players in Granger and George who have many of the same attributes, at least offensively. If you are going solely on who the better player is, if Granger is healthy it is an easy choice. What makes it more difficult is strategy. Is it better to bring in a fresh Granger in the middle of the first to replace George/Lance or is it better to bring in a wildcard type of player in the middle of the first to replace George/Granger?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Let's say Stephenson is better than Granger as some people tend to believe. But there isn't a big drop off in production in the starting unit by starting Granger. Wouldn't it be way smarter start Granger and help keep Stephenson's value down as opposed to starting him and guaranteeing you lose him? We won't pay the luxury tax so all someone has to do is offer him a million more than we can and he's gone barring being willing to take a paycut. That or we're going to have to try and dump players off on other teams to open up cap space to give Stephenson more. Maybe we can package more 1st round picks to dump bad contracts like Gerald Green and poor draft picks like Miles Plumlee. If Granger is capable, it's wise to bring Stephenson off the bench if you have any desire to keep him in Indy. That's just my opinion though.
    I don't understand this. Do what you need to do with the best players and let the whole "if he play's well we'll lose him" thing wait until the offseason. If Lance is that much stronger than Danny, you let Danny go. Period. And I like Danny a lot.

I'd rather have all my weapons on the floor in their best position and go for the championship than hide one under a bushel in hopes he'll be unnoticed and we can do it next year.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

While I do think Lance should start, it's really Granger's spot to lose. Only 2 things will likely see Lance the starter. 1. Granger is extremely rusty. 2. They gradually work Granger back into the starting lineup due to limiting his minutes to start the season.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    The people voting Lance Stephenson to start must enjoy the idea of only having him one more season. I think it's possible we can afford to re-sign him if he comes off the bench but if he starts, kiss him goodbye imo. He just turned 23, is built like a mini Lebron, does all of the little things and most importantly, he's shown improvement shooting 3's. In college and his first couple of years in the league, dude couldn't hit a 3 to save his life. Teams have seen his improvement and someone will roll the dice on him if he's contributing on a team that's going toe to toe with Miami. Copeland did nothing but shoot 3's in the playoffs and we gave him what, 3 million a year? Surely other teams saw Stephenon's performance against the Knicks and they've seen him continually beat everyone down the floor for easy buckets. Heck, simply increasing his 3 point percentage by .2 or more might put him out of our price range within itself. Teams will see a player that can play inside, outside, run the floor, body up, grab boards, get steals and so on. People love him so much I guess they're excited to see him leave. The fastest way to push him out of Indiana is to start him imo.
    I get what you're saying, but when you're in "Win Now" mode, I don't think you can make decisions based on that type of thinking. You've got to do what's best for the team THIS YEAR. I'd hate to blow a chance at a championship this season because we were worried about possible future salary cap implications. If starting Lance is best for the team this year, that's what you do. If starting Danny is best for the team this year, that's what you do. End of story.

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

How about starting both Lance AND Danny (povided he is healthy)
    then have PG come off the bench for either one of them??

"I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just thought of another reason they might opt to start Granger instead of Lance. Coming off a knee injury, it's sometimes better to have a player start the 1st and 3rd quarters because they are warmed up and the muscles and joints are more loose. Having Danny sit after warming up doesn't seem like a good idea.

Either way, I have confidence that Frank Vogel will make the right decisions regarding starting or sitting Danny Granger. He showed that he will bring him off the bench or DNP-CD him if he's not completely ready to play last year so I trust him to make the right decision again this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't get this Granger hate. Do people forget he's the only reason we made the playoffs during 10-11 and 11-12? He should start because he's the much better all-around player, and if he isn't healthy and Lance proves he can play better then Lance should start. People here fall inlove with young potential and forget what a vet like Granger could bring to the table.

Yeah, Granger won't be as quick as Lance and won't handle the ball like Lance does. But Granger makes our lineup bigger, physically stronger and can space the floor for George, David and Hibbert. When Lance goes for 20 once in every 10 games people think "Wow, look at that young player, he could be a star". Granger used to average 20 on every given night, and yeah he's gotten older and injured but he's probably still the much better scorer.

So, by default Granger should start, and if Lance wants to start then he'd better prove he's the better choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

36. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    I don't get this Granger hate. Do people forget he's the only reason we made the playoffs during 10-11 and 11-12? He should start because he's the much better all-around player, and if he isn't healthy and Lance proves he can play better then Lance should start. People here fall inlove with young potential and forget what a vet like Granger could bring to the table.
    Granger is the only reason we made it to the playoffs in 11-12? That's a pretty big stretch. The additions of West and Hill, as well as the all-star season from Hibbert, might have something to say about that....

Don't get me wrong, he played good that season, but we were a very well rounded team that year. It's not like Granger carried us to the playoffs as a one man show averaging 25 PPG that year.

I don't think that many people here "hate" Granger. But it's just reality that the team went further last year without him than it ever did with him. That's not meant to say that he was holding us back or anything like that, but it does show that the team was plenty good without him. Some people don't like to talk about it, but odds are that we'll have to choose between Granger and Lance next off-season. To me, it doesn't make much since to part with a budding young talent so that you can keep an aging player with knee issues. Now if Danny has an incredible season this year and is a major factor in a deep playoff run, then we will certainly have to look hard at keeping him.

Something's gotta give at some point. Hibbert, West, and Hill are all making bank. PG is about to be maxed out. Granger and Lance are both up in the summer. There's almost certainly going to be an odd man out, and it's obviously going to be either Lance or Granger if it comes to that.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    To me, it doesn't make much since to part with a budding young talent so that you can keep an aging player with knee issues.
    Wait.... Why do you think that who starts will determine who gets kept after this season?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post

Yeah, Granger won't be as quick as Lance and won't handle the ball like Lance does. But Granger makes our lineup bigger, physically stronger and can space the floor for George, David and Hibbert. When Lance goes for 20 once in every 10 games people think "Wow, look at that young player, he could be a star". Granger used to average 20 on every given night, and yeah he's gotten older and injured but he's probably still the much better scorer.

So, by default Granger should start, and if Lance wants to start then he'd better prove he's the better choice.
    I am just worried about his health. I agree with that he does stretch the floor and makes our lineup bigger
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Wait.... Why do you think that who starts will determine who gets kept after this season?
    I don't think that. I could fully see a scenario where Granger starts, but the team ends up keeping Lance.

I was just explaining to yoadknux that my position wasn't out of "hate". I am admittedly biased towards Lance and I feel that the spot has to be legitimately taken away from him since he played so well last year, but I don't really care who starts because the team is going to be a monster either way. I have complete trust in our excellent coach to make the move that he thinks is best for the team. My Lance/Danny thoughts are more concerned with what happens next summer. But obviously we have an entire season to get through and hopefully another playoff run. So it's not a huge deal right now. But it's the dog days of summer and there really isn't much to talk about right now, and this is definitely going to be one of the biggest narratives regarding our team in the coming year.

The problem with Bird is that he has done such a good job of stockpiling talent that now the team will be facing difficult financial decisions. But that's a good problem to have....

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    How about starting both Lance AND Danny (povided he is healthy)
    then have PG come off the bench for either one of them??
    I get your joke there. However, it may not be beyond the pale to see in the playoffs, even at the end of games:

Hill/Lance/PG/Danny/Big man
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 09-11-2013 at 12:49 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown