Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 655

Thread: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

  1. #326
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,755

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If your argument is that the title of the article is a fallacy then I will agree with you. This isn't really an easy choice. In fact I think it is a choice that if not handled properly could mean the difference between a deep playoff running team and an early exit.
    The reason it isn't an easy choice is because they bring different skill sets.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  3. #327
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would I ask Coach K about Danny's defense....Oh right, the same Coach K who selected Danny Granger for team USA. I don't care how many min. he played, he was selected & oh btw RaJon Rondo was sent home for.

    You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well known is this: Never use making team USA as a fault when trying to argue against Danny Granger.

    Also if you want to use shooting % as a guideline to being able to shoot then Dale Davis had a career .530 FG% so he must have been the best shooter our team has ever seen.
    I didn't know Rondo was an small forward ...

  4. #328
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,869

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would I ask Coach K about Danny's defense....Oh right, the same Coach K who selected Danny Granger for team USA. I don't care how many min. he played, he was selected & oh btw RaJon Rondo was sent home for.

    You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well known is this: Never use making team USA as a fault when trying to argue against Danny Granger.

    Also if you want to use shooting % as a guideline to being able to shoot then Dale Davis had a career .530 FG% so he must have been the best shooter our team has ever seen.




    I thought the same thing when I read this. It's like comparing Danny's all star game numbers to Lance. It doesn't matter what his numbers where he made an all star team and he made team USA. That only shows that he's been on a completely higher level then Lance most likely ever will be. Comparing skill sets of a guard to a bigger forward isn't a good comparison of who has "game" either. I would only expect the smaller guard to have better dribbling and passing skills. Hill has better dribbling and passing skills then Hibbert but I don't think he has a better game. Granger is a better post defender and overall better defender then Lance. The combination of PG/Granger is a better defensive combination then that of PG/Lance against most matchups and especially against the Heat. Danny is a slightly better rebounder and far better scorer not just a better shooter. I'll take those skill sets in the starting and closing lineups.


  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  6. #329
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,452

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't know Rondo was an small forward ...
    He did not pick players by traditional position, in fact it would not have shocked me if he would have used Danny as a center. Yea, I'm not thrilled with the system he uses at all to be honest with you in fact I pretty much hate it.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  7. #330
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He did not pick players by traditional position, in fact it would not have shocked me if he would have used Danny as a center. Yea, I'm not thrilled with the system he uses at all to be honest with you in fact I pretty much hate it.
    Yeah but he is not crazy enough to pick ten 6 feet tall players, the only reason Rondo was out was because he can't shoot and team USA had Billups, Westbrok, Rose and Curry.

    Here is a list of Danny's competition on team USA: Odom, Durant, Gay, Iguadola and Love, so yeah other than Durant his competition was not that great and he still couldn't get playing time.

  8. #331
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,027

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Also if you want to use shooting % as a guideline to being able to shoot then Dale Davis had a career .530 FG% so he must have been the best shooter our team has ever seen.
    I'd pick Dale over Danny for a starting line up.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  9. #332
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,452

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd pick Dale over Danny for a starting line up.


    I see what your trying to do there.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  11. #333
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,441

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah but he is not crazy enough to pick ten 6 feet tall players, the only reason Rondo was out was because he can't shoot and team USA had Billups, Westbrok, Rose and Curry.

    Here is a list of Danny's competition on team USA: Odom, Durant, Gay, Iguadola and Love, so yeah other than Durant his competition was not that great and he still couldn't get playing time.
    I think that sounds like a healthy dose of competition personally.

  12. #334
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,344

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another possibility to consider, and I don't think either is super far-fetched, either: Neither one may work out for us. Danny may never be himself again, and even if he is we likely won't be able to afford him this offseason. Lance will be affordable, but he may not get any more consistent, and I'm still not 100% convinced he doesn't have another knucklehead moment to spring on us at some point. The consistency issue is more likely to be his downfall if he doesn't work out, but both are worth keeping in mind considering his history.

    I think Hill is what he is, I think Paul is likely going to be as good as he is now or better, I think West is what he is, I think Roy's just about done growing and I think he's reached a point where he should be reliable, too, but I'm not sure about Danny or Lance if you get right down to it. Hopefully Danny's healthy, Lance is more consistent (and incident free), and one way or another they make our team a powerhouse this season.
    These are some interesting thoughts.

    I agree that Hill is pretty predictable at this point, and that's just fine. He will make winning plays for us all season. I love having him on the team.

    West will be another year removed from injury, but also another year older. It would be absolutely fantastic if he could give us another season like last year.

    Hibbert is probably close to being done growing, but his offensive explosions against New York and Miami make one wonder if he has it in him to play like that offensively over the course of an entire season. Dude averaged 17 PPG in the playoffs. Expecting 17 PPG over an entire season might be a bit much, but I think he definitely has it in him to average 14-15. But we can be pretty sure that the most important part of his game, his defense, isn't going anywhere.

    As to PG...the sky is the limit for him. It's really impossible to predict what someone that talented and young can do. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he explodes into a legit mainstream star next year. By "mainstream", I mean a guy who is consistently talked about on Sports Center and the national media outlets. I think he has it in him.

    We know that the reliable four man core of Hibbert/West/PG/Hill will be fantastic all season if healthy. And we know that Scola will be a stud off of the bench. So yeah, Granger and Lance really are the wildcards. Granger with his health and Lance with development. I'm really not too worried about Lance having a knucklehead moment. Sure it could happen, but it didn't happen last year when Bird was out of the picture, so I have a hard time believing it will happen now that Legend the mentor is back in the fold. Lance takes great pride in playing for Larry Bird and knows that he is his protege'. He doesn't want to ever let Bird down. It's not everyday that one of the five greatest players in league history takes a chance on you when not even your hometown team is interested. I think Lance understands the tremendous opportunity that he's been given here.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  14. #335
    Child Of Scorn MnvrChvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    410

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    This thread is like a paper tiger killing field. I'm going to make some statements: Agree or Disagree?

    Healthy Granger is a better player than Lance is at this point.

    Lance has the potential to be better than Granger (and maybe everyone on the team).

    He is not there yet and may never be anything more than what we saw last year.

    Danny and Paul can, in fact, play effectively at the same time as has been proven as recently as the 11-12 season.

    Vogel is not going to start Granger if he is still lame, and even the deepest, most loyal Granger 'fanboy' is going to be okay with that.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:


  16. #336
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,344

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    MnvrChvy questions:

    Healthy Granger is a better player than Lance is at this point.

    There's just no way to know until we see them play. That's the cop out answer, but it's that simple, IMO. A 100% healthy Granger that is identical to his 2011 form is likely a better player than Lance at this point, but what if "healthy" just means that he's an as-healthy-as-he-can-possibly-be-30 year old-who-has-battled-a-rough-injury-and-will-never-quite-be-the-same-again? In the latter case, it's certainly possible that Lance could be better if Lance has big growth this season after working on his game all summer

    Lance has the potential to be better than Granger (and maybe everyone on the team).

    I think he has sky high potential and could be better than Granger, but I don't ever see him being better than PG. If Lance is better than PG someday, then this team will be polishing multiple rings.

    He is not there yet and may never be anything more than what we saw last year.

    Certainly possible, but it's rare for players to peak in their very first season of playing time. Practically speaking, Lance was just a rookie last year since he sat on the bench the first two years. This summer, he has had the opportunity to improve his game based off of his experience playing. That's something he's never been able to do.

    Danny and Paul can, in fact, play effectively at the same time as has been proven as recently as the 11-12 season.

    Hopefully, but I do think that the 11-12 season is pretty irrelevant here. Paul was just a young second year player back then and DG was clearly way above him in the pecking order. But things have drastically changed. Now, Paul is the budding superstar and DG is the guy coming back from injury.

    Vogel is not going to start Granger if he is still lame, and even the deepest, most loyal Granger 'fanboy' is going to be okay with that.

    I think most people would understand if they could see with their own eyes that he wasn't the same
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 09-21-2013 at 04:31 PM.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  18. #337
    Child Of Scorn MnvrChvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    410

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MnvrChvy questions:

    Healthy Granger is a better player than Lance is at this point.

    There's just no way to know until we see them play. That's the cop out answer, but it's that simple, IMO. A 100% healthy Granger that is identical to his 2011 form is likely a better player than Lance at this point, but what if "healthy" just means that he's an as-healthy-as-he-can-possibly-be-30 year old-who-has-battled-a-rough-injury-and-will-never-quite-be-the-same-again? In the latter case, it's certainly possible that Lance could be better if Lance has big growth this season after working on his game all summer

    Lance has the potential to be better than Granger (and maybe everyone on the team).

    I think he has sky high potential and could be better than Granger, but I don't ever see him being better than PG. If Lance is better than PG someday, then this team will be polishing multiple rings.

    He is not there yet and may never be anything more than what we saw last year.

    Certainly possible, but it's rare for players to peak in their very first season of playing time. Practically speaking, Lance was just a rookie last year since he sat on the bench the first two years. This summer, he has had the opportunity to improve his game based off of his experience playing. That's something he's never been able to do.

    Danny and Paul can, in fact, play effectively at the same time as has been proven as recently as the 11-12 season.

    Hopefully, but I do think that the 11-12 season is pretty irrelevant here. Paul was just a young second year player back then and DG was clearly way above him in the pecking order. But things have drastically changed. Now, Paul is the budding superstar and DG is the guy coming back from injury.

    Vogel is not going to start Granger if he is still lame, and even the deepest, most loyal Granger 'fanboy' is going to be okay with that.

    I think most people would understand if they could see with their own eyes that he wasn't the same

    ::

    I'm not talking about speculation. Granger has achieved a level in his career far higher than what Lance has. That's a fact. If Lance has made the leap to being better than Granger, then he is not going to prove it in practices. He will have to prove it in real games. So... if Danny comes back at 100%, you have to assume that he will start. Now Lance may prove to be the better option, but that won't happen until NBA games start.

    Nobody here knows whether or not Danny will return to form. Nobody. If you are getting all uppity and passionate because you think one way or the other, you are wasting your breath.

    And obviously Vogel may see specific situations and matchups where having Lance in the SL would be the best option.

  19. #338
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,947

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Certainly possible, but it's rare for players to peak in their very first season of playing time. Practically speaking, Lance was just a rookie last year since he sat on the bench the first two years. This summer, he has had the opportunity to improve his game based off of his experience playing. That's something he's never been able to do.
    Special, franchise type of talent aside; Contending teams rarely have young players that play key roles within their starting lineup/rotation; but when they do it's normally within a specific yet limited role similar to what Lance had last year. These players normally don't improve to star like status due to the roles they play with their teams.

    Courtney Lee, Mario Chalmers, Taj Gibson, Trevor Ariza, and previously Tayshaun Prince are a few examples of these types of players that contributed to contending teams as younger players but never improved to being much more than capable starters on contending teams.

    This isn't to say Lance won't improve because he most certainly should. But that improvement may simply to be more consistent and less erratic/wild as opposed to a ride to stardom.

  20. #339
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,755

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Certainly possible, but it's rare for players to peak in their very first season of playing time. Practically speaking, Lance was just a rookie last year since he sat on the bench the first two years. This summer, he has had the opportunity to improve his game based off of his experience playing. That's something he's never been able to do.
    Practically speaking Lance was a third year player last year. H didn't spend the prior two seasons playing in college or overseas. He spent the prior two season on an NBA team, practicing and playing with NBA players, coached by NBA coaches, living the NBA life. In his second season he was giving a good amount of playing time until it was obvious he wasn't ready to play yet. He was in no way a rookie. So stop spitting out such delusions, and start facing reality. In all honesty Lance's potential is more in the range of 6th man of the year, than all-star.

  21. #340
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,027

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    [QUOTE=MnvrChvy;1709789]This thread is like a paper tiger killing field. I'm going to make some statements: Agree or Disagree?

    Healthy Granger is a better player than Lance is at this point.
    Better one on one? Yes. Better all around? Up for debate.


    Lance has the potential to be better than Granger (and maybe everyone on the team).
    I'm not sure he can be a better all around player than PG, but it could be close. He could certainly become a better offensive player than PG.


    He is not there yet and may never be anything more than what we saw last year.
    Doubtful.


    Danny and Paul can, in fact, play effectively at the same time as has been proven as recently as the 11-12 season.
    Certainly. The real question is can PG and Lance play together slightly more effectively.


    Vogel is not going to start Granger if he is still lame, and even the deepest, most loyal Granger 'fanboy' is going to be okay with that.
    Of course. And, to be clear, as a Lance "fanboy," I don't want Granger to be lame. No one does.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  23. #341
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,868

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    What exactly is Danny Granger better at? Shooting the basketball? Most definitely.

    But do these skills matter: Rebounding? Defense? Dribbling? Passing?

    Don't feel bad though. Even Coach K overrated him at first.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  25. #342
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,441

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What exactly is Danny Granger better at? Shooting the basketball? Most definitely.

    But do these skills matter: Rebounding? Defense? Dribbling? Passing?

    Don't feel bad though. Even Coach K overrated him at first.
    While his best offensive skill is definitely shooting, he's not a one trick pony. Unless you're saying that if kyle korver was on our team in place of granger, korver would have scored 30+ ppg? Because korver is a better shooter. Granger has a dynamic array of offensive tools. He can shoot from 3, shoot from midrange, post up. Off the dribble he has crafty hesitation moves to get into the lane, a decent pull up jumper, and once he's near the hoop he finishes creatively.

    Will he wow you with his ball handling or court vision? No. Fortunately he will always have a mixture of George hill, west/scola, and Paul George who have played and will continue to play the role of point guard by committee..

    Our offense plays with guards, wings, and bigs more so than traditional positions. Stephenson is a guard and granger is a wing. So obviously they will have different skill sets.

    Do you think it is possible you have fallen victim to the "what have you done for me lately?" syndrome? Do you remember why Granger sat and Iguodala played? It was because Granger wasn't as good a defender as Iguodala who is now widely considered one of the top 3 perimeter defenders in the league.

    Overrated? Was the press of the league overrating Granger when they voted him most improved player? Did the coaches as a whole overrate Granger when they selected him as an all star reserve? Was Frank Vogel overrating Granger when he designed his smash mouth offense because it fit his personnel, including their best player and top scorer Danny Granger? Was Larry Bird overrating Granger when he repeatedly refused to trade him despite rumors flying around constantly? Was Donnie Walsh overrating Granger when given the opportunity to trade him he did not (this last one is iffy, he would have had a very short window to trade him for good value now that I'm thinking of the timeline now)?
    Last edited by aamcguy; 09-21-2013 at 09:15 PM.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  27. #343
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,947

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What exactly is Danny Granger better at? Shooting the basketball? Most definitely.

    But do these skills matter: Rebounding? Defense? Dribbling? Passing?

    Don't feel bad though. Even Coach K overrated him at first.
    Shooting, scoring, getting to the line, converting when at the line, and (outside of a 19 game stretch in the playoffs) rebounding. Their defense is bout the same with each being stronger in certain areas.

    As for your sarcasm, you can claim coach K overrated him, but will coach K ever even think about Lance? Hmm

  28. #344
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,373

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shooting, scoring, getting to the line, converting when at the line, and (outside of a 19 game stretch in the playoffs) rebounding. Their defense is bout the same with each being stronger in certain areas.

    As for your sarcasm, you can claim coach K overrated him, but will coach K ever even think about Lance? Hmm
    Why wouldn't Coach K consider Lance? Stephenson IS a future all star
    David "And One" West

  29. #345
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,441

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why wouldn't Coach K consider Lance? Stephenson IS a future all star
    Can you tell the future in a general sense or does it strictly relate to basketball? If the former, I would like a few lottery numbers please. I'll even share the winnings with the rest of PD.

  30. #346
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you think it is possible you have fallen victim to the "what have you done for me lately?" syndrome?
    More like "what kind of surgery have you got done on your knees lately"? you guys need to stop acting like last year didn't happen and that Danny was sleeping for a year ala "Demolition Man".

    Was Frank Vogel overrating Granger when he designed his smash mouth offense because it fit his personnel, including their best player and top scorer Danny Granger?
    Vogel didn't design his offense around Granger not sure were you got that from, I'm not even going to comment on the "smash mouth" crap.

    Was Larry Bird overrating Granger when he repeatedly refused to trade him despite rumors flying around constantly?
    YES, not trading him is biting the Pacers in the a**, paying 14mil a year for a cheerleader is a huge mistake, the Pacers probably win a championship if they could have got somebody good for that kind of money and nope I don't give a crap about his "leadership and soul"(if you are going to argue that his "leadership and soul are worth 14mil")

    Was Donnie Walsh overrating Granger when given the opportunity to trade him he did not?
    Yes he was overrating him just the same way he overrated Artest, Tinsley, JO and many others.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 09-21-2013 at 09:42 PM.

  31. #347

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Training camp in nine days!

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:


  33. #348
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,008
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    I just have to say that Lance is not infallible. Game one of the Heat ECF in overtime he messed up twice. Big time.

    First the Pacers could have gone up 4 with a little over two minutes when West short arms it. If West hits that then it doesn't matter, but Lance is pumping his fist instead of getting back as the safety in out transition defense.

    Second we are up 3 and David West gets the ball on the pin down. The Heat is caught doubling and shifting and Lance moves correctly to the extended elbow 3 and fires it right away. He should have driven it in and hit the open mid range at worst. Not the sweeping curling shot that is not his shot.

    A more mature Lance should look at the film and adjust his play. He doesn't have to hit that three. But he does have to play the transition.

    That was a huge swing. And we all know that Hibbert being taken out and George over pursuing was the nail.

    But West going 0-2 for the field and 0-2 from the line hurt. These were young players and a young coach mistake.


  34. #349
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,027

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just have to say that Lance is not infallible. Game one of the Heat ECF in overtime he messed up twice. Big time.

    First the Pacers could have gone up 4 with a little over two minutes when West short arms it. If West hits that then it doesn't matter, but Lance is pumping his fist instead of getting back as the safety in out transition defense.

    Second we are up 3 and David West gets the ball on the pin down. The Heat is caught doubling and shifting and Lance moves correctly to the extended elbow 3 and fires it right away. He should have driven it in and hit the open mid range at worst. Not the sweeping curling shot that is not his shot.

    A more mature Lance should look at the film and adjust his play. He doesn't have to hit that three. But he does have to play the transition.

    That was a huge swing. And we all know that Hibbert being taken out and George over pursuing was the nail.

    But West going 0-2 for the field and 0-2 from the line hurt. These were young players and a young coach mistake.

    Hmmmm.

    I'd say Hill and West made a lot more mistakes in that stretch than Lance.

    And why did you make me watch those last 24 seconds where Lebron TWICE gets a layup because Vogel benched Roy?

    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  35. #350
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,441

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indy Cornrows: Granger an "Easy Choice" over Stephenson

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More like "what kind of surgery have you got done on your knees lately"? you guys need to stop acting like last year didn't happen and that Danny was sleeping for a year ala "Demolition Man".

    Vogel didn't design his offense around Granger not sure were you got that from, I'm not even going to comment on the "smash mouth" crap.

    YES, not trading him is biting the Pacers in the a**, paying 14mil a year for a cheerleader is a huge mistake, the Pacers probably win a championship if they could have got somebody good for that kind of money and nope I don't give a crap about his "leadership and soul"(if you are going to argue that his "leadership and soul are worth 14mil")

    Yes he was overrating him just the same way he overrated Artest, Tinsley, JO and many others.
    It's not "acting like last year didn't happen," it's "inability to have an actual conversation without assuming that a person will be better than a stationary object."

    Vogel didn't design his offense around Granger? He didn't design a 3-pt heavy inside-out post-up offense around a SF whose best skills are shooting the 3, posting up smallers SFs? Who received more FGA's than any other player, often when his shot still wasn't falling?

    The Pacers went to game 7 of the Eastern conference finals. Which means only two teams (the grizzlies got swept) advanced farther than the Pacers in the entire league. Cost them a championship? Possible but if Granger hadn't been injured and had played and we lost to the Heat in 7 games I'm sure you would have blamed the loss on Granger's shot selection anyway. And who could we have traded an injured Granger for that would have put us over the hump for beating both the Heat and the Spurs? (Or is this where you say you saw the signs and knew this was coming all along and they should have traded Granger years ago because injuries are a certainty?"

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 12:55 PM
  2. Replies: 90
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 09:26 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2012, 11:54 AM
  4. "Stephenson hits the ground running"
    By imbtyler in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 08:25 PM
  5. Welcome To The Pacers Lance "Born Ready" Stephenson!
    By The Future in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 11:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •