Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Peyton Manning thread

Default Re: 2013 Peyton Manning thread

Sensational performance by PM. I'm still fine with Luck though. It was what it was (how it played out here) and it is what it is. If Broncos win the Superbowl (LOT of football left is an understatement), more power to them and I'm happy for Manning. But I'm Colts all the way, like most here I suspect.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

2. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's a bit good, in't he?

Don't like the Ravens for one bit. Watching Peyton picking them apart with his TD passes, his accuracy and his no huddle approach (and tiring the **** out of them) at times, makes it even better.
    What a brilliant performance last night. Managed to stay awake till 7 a.m. Well worth it watching him playing like that live.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well Peyton basically won my fantasy game last night.

It was a sensational performance and as Heisenberg pointed out the guy held up just fine last year and with another year of work and rest he should be tearing it up this year.

It is still bittersweet watching him play. I love Luck, but seeing the guy who put our franchise on the map for Indy play for another team still sucks.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well Peyton basically won my fantasy game last night.

It was a sensational performance and as Heisenberg pointed out the guy held up just fine last year and with another year of work and rest he should be tearing it up this year.

It is still bittersweet watching him play. I love Luck, but seeing the guy who put our franchise on the map for Indy play for another team still sucks.
    Yeah, that's all I was really trying to say. I love Luck and the future of our team, but it's games like last night where you miss seeing the horseshoe on Manning's dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Not to be a Debbie Downer but..... This is early season Manning. Let's see how that nerve issue holds up game after game... That's going to be the elephant in the room from here on out.
    He got better as the year went on last year. By all indications he is stronger than last year. His only problem now is that he is 37 years old. He might never sling it as deep as he did in 04, but he can still be great for a few more years.

Peyton is so damn good you almost expect this in the regular season. I still think he needs to win one more SB to break the stigma of him being a postseason choker (which goes all the way back to his college days).

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Awesome performance. Glad to see him have a night like this. We've seen it before, though. How many times has he blown up in a regular season game, and gets everything thinking his team is the strongest contender?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Peyton is so damn good you almost expect this in the regular season. I still think he needs to win one more SB to break the stigma of him being a postseason choker (which goes all the way back to his college days).

Denver is the epitome of a Super Bowl or bust team. This will likely be one of the weakest AFC's that Peyton has ever faced. New England will always be tough as long as Brady and the hood man are there, but these aren't the 2007 Pats. As last night showed, the Ravens are the Ravens in name only. This isn't close to the team that won the Super Bowl. The Texans are fools gold. Cincy is grossly over-hyped. The Colts are still likely a year away.

I think that Denver's talent is considerably above everyone else in the AFC, especially when Miller gets back. That obviously doesn't guarantee anything come playoff time, but it certainly heightens the expectations.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Belichick'd do it
    not really.

Some of the 7 TDs would have been rushing TDs under Belichick, because that's what you preferentially do in the red zone, run the ball.

2012 Patriots: 25 rushing TDs, 34 passing TDs
    2012 Broncos: 12 rushing TDs, 37 passing TDs

Yes, one can say that NE had better running backs overall (4.2 vs. 3.8 rushing ypa) but there is also a philosophical difference that can't be ignored.

If Peyton had first and goal at the 1 yard line last night, the last thing in the world they were going to do is to try to run the ball.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I'm really kicking myself for picking Eric Decker over Welker in fantasy. I would have had like 81 points with Manning and Welker last night. I hope Decker quickly regains the form of the dude who had 13 TD's last year.

FAIL

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/09/peyt...source=twshare

Newspaper celebrates John Elwayís epic game against the Ravens
    Report: Hall of Fame QB returns to NFL, throws seven TDs.
    Weíve already covered Peyton Manningís record-setting NFL season opener, but according to Fridayís edition of The Columbus Dispatch, there was an unknown wrinkle that made the feat truly historic. Turns out it wasnít Manning throwing those passes, but another Denver Broncos quarterback who happens to be 53 years old and in the Hall of Fame.

The best part is that the article correctly identifies Manning in the lede, then reverts back to Elway in the second paragraph. Well, no, the best part is the Elway in the headline, but you catch my drift.

Itís too bad we canít see the rest of the article. Iím wondering if Elway threw TD passes to all of the Three Amigos or whether Wes Welker and Julius Thomas were still on the receiving end. And though we donít have access to other sections of the paper, itís safe to assume there was another piece somewhere that focused on how entertaining Brian Dunkleman was during pregame festivities.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Peyton Manning is still hella good. It's a great thing watching Manning do his thing on the field.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Manning still looking like the best QB in the league.

Peter King has a good writeup:

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/06/manning-in-full/

glowing in the deserved praise for Manning.

Kind of surprising to read his comments on Welker though:

Wes Welker shouldn’t be known as one of the league’s surest-handed players anymore. Hey, a great debut for Welker, all in all … nine catches, 67 yards, two touchdowns. But he dropped a punt at his four-yard line (why he’s fielding it there, who knows), leading to a simple Ravens touchdown in the first half. No cause for alarm, but as important as he is to Manning and to this offense, John Fox shouldn’t have him returning punts. Add this muff to the fact that Welker, via Pro Football Focus, led all NFL wideouts with 15 drops last year, and you start to wonder if that miss from Tom Brady in the most recent Patriot Super Bowl was really any sort of fluke.
    of course he had two other drops last night too (one though was ruled a catch)
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Peter King has a good writeup:

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/06/manning-in-full/

glowing in the deserved praise for Manning.

Kind of surprising to read his comments on Welker though:

of course he had two other drops last night too (one though was ruled a catch)
    And he wouldn't have had that second touchdown if Eric Decker didn't have butter hands. Decker should have easily held on to that fade route. That came after that initial drop that should have been challenged.

I don't know why in the hell you would have a vital 31 year old receiver returning punts. That boggles my mind.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I don't know why in the hell you would have a vital 31 year old receiver returning punts. That boggles my mind.
    I do. He is the same HC who asked Manning to take a knee last season in the playoffs with time still on the clock.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Can we agree that Manning-Welker will always be about as natural as a peanut butter and ketchup sandwich. I just can't get used to it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Can we agree that Manning-Welker will always be about as natural as a peanut butter and ketchup sandwich. I just can't get used to it.
    Imagine predicting three years ago that Peyton Manning and Wes Welker would team up someday.......on the Denver Broncos.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I agree that Denver is a SB or bust team. How much would it sting Manning if the Pats put him out of the playoffs once again? That's why I said in the other thread that this season might be the most pressure Manning has had on him in his whole career. We'll see how he holds up to it. He cannot afford another early flame out in the post season once again.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I agree that Denver is a SB or bust team. How much would it sting Manning if the Pats put him out of the playoffs once again? That's why I said in the other thread that this season might be the most pressure Manning has had on him in his whole career. We'll see how he holds up to it. He cannot afford another early flame out in the post season once again.

If its another "The most pressure Manning has faced narrative" (how original) it really wouldn't matter what opposing team put him out let alone the Pats.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    If its another "The most pressure Manning has faced narrative" (how original) it really wouldn't matter what opposing team put him out let alone the Pats.

Didn't say it would, but I think losing to the Pats would sting even more. You can't tell me Manning doesn't have a bitter taste from those losses in NE. I only say most pressure because many perceive Manning as a "one and done" QB. If he doesn't win another SB that tag will unfortunately be part of his legacy. I think even he realizes this whether it's fair or not.

not really.

Some of the 7 TDs would have been rushing TDs under Belichick, because that's what you preferentially do in the red zone, run the ball.

2012 Patriots: 25 rushing TDs, 34 passing TDs
    2012 Broncos: 12 rushing TDs, 37 passing TDs
    I think the more apt comparison would be to the Patriots Ef-You Season of '07. They were definitely in the business of running up the score and padding stats that year.

2007 Patriots: 17 rushing TDs, 50 passing TDs
    Last edited by bunt; 09-06-2013 at 03:02 PM.

The concept of the eff you TD (other than the Washington game, dating back to bad blood with Gibbs from BB's Giants days) was a figment of the imagination of Bill Simmons and ESPN. They were 21st in the league in percentage of 4th quarter passing TDs that year. When leading by more than 2 TDs in the 4th quarter, they always ran the football, despite having a mediocre running game (Maroney).

The concept of the eff you TD (other than the Washington game, dating back to bad blood with Gibbs from BB's Giants days) was a figment of the imagination of Bill Simmons and ESPN. They were 21st in the league in percentage of 4th quarter passing TDs that year. When leading by more than 2 TDs in the 4th quarter, they always ran the football, despite having a mediocre running game (Maroney).
    Except against Buffalo, Cincinnati, Miami, and Washington. You could include Buffalo a second time if you stretched the criteria to also include up 4 TDs mid-way through the 3Q. So they didn't always run the football.

Regardless, the 2012 Broncos scored over 75% of their 49 offensive TDs through the air. The 2007 Patriots scored over 74% of their 67 offensive TDs through the air. The Pats just happened to score quite a bit more than the Broncos.

Although I wonder how they rated this one I bet a lot went to bed early since it started so late

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...illion-people/

Broncosí season-opening win viewed by 25.1 million people

The NFLís dominance over the American television landscape continues.

Thursday nightís Ravens-Broncos NFL opener was watched by 25.1 million viewers, a 5 percent increase over the Cowboys-Giants game that kicked off the season last year.

The 25.1 million figure makes Thursday nightís game the third-most watched NFL opener since the league started opening the season on Thursday night in 2002. The 2010 and 2011 openers were both seen by more than 27 million viewers.

Those of you who joined us for the NBC Sports Live Extra stream of the game were in good company: Fans watched nearly 20.5 million minutes of game action online, easily breaking the regular-season record of 10.6 million minutes, set last season for 49ers-Patriots.

Ravens-Broncos likely would have drawn even more viewers without the 33-minute delay that caused the game to start after 9 p.m. Eastern, and would have done better still if the Broncos didnít turn the game into a laugher in the fourth quarter, when millions of Americans surely decided it was time to go to bed as a not-very-competitive game ran past midnight on the East Coast. The NFL is so popular that a game doesnít have to be a great one to draw a great number of viewers.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post: