Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Peyton Manning thread

Default Re: 2013 Peyton Manning thread

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    New England has Home Field Advantage not that the Broncos would've done anything with it.
    If the Patriots win their last 3 and get home field advantage (a tall order, @Miami and @BAL, not so much home vs. BUFF) I will argue that this has been the best coaching job ever by Belichick and the best season ever by Brady. It won't be Brady's best statistical season, but dealing with the loss of so many pro-bowl caliber starters and an entirely new receiving corps makes it borderline incredible.

I think that this is the weakest roster that the Patriots have fielded since 2002 and is not in the top half of the NFL based upon non-QB talent. 18 rookies or second year players, many undrafted, play significant minutes.

80% of the player loss has been due to injury, though other factors (a murdering scumbag) and a decision to move on from Welker and Woodhead have contributed.

These were IMO the Patriots 12 best players last year. #2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12 are gone for good this year. Many of their backups are gone as well.

1) TB
    2) Gronkowski- TE out, IR
    3) Wilfork- NT out, IR. backup/DL Tommy Kelly- out, IR
    4) Mayo- ILB out, IR
    5) Welker- WR gone, salary dispute; replacement Amendola has missed half the season and is playing with a groin muscle "torn from the bone"
    6) that TE who is now in jail
    7) Ridley- RB active! but benched for fumbling...
    8) Woodhead- RB gone, replaced by Vereen, has missed over half the year due to injury
    9) Solder- LT is playing!
    10) Vollmer- RT- out, IR
    11) Talib- DB is playing, has missed many games with hip injury
    12) Lloyd- WR retired to take up acting (!)
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that the best coaching job by the Hood was when he went 11-5 with Matt Cassel, who has barely looked like he belonged in the NFL since then. Outside of the QB position, the rest of their 08 roster was better than what they currently have because after all, it had been a 16-0 team the prior year. But going 11-5 with Cassel after losing Brady was impressive and most of it was coaching. That team actually missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record, but they would have gotten in in virtually every other year. Belichick certainly wasn't going to allow his team to feel sorry for itself and crumble like the 2011 Colts, who had absolutely spineless leadership in the GM and coaching departments.

Manning has historically had advantages over Brady in that he's generally had better receivers, played indoors, and the same offensive coordinator for his Indy tenure. But one area in which Brady has always had a superior advantage to Manning is head coaching. Belichick is without question one of the very best coaches and strategists in the history of the game. Dungy was very strong, but I don't think that anyone would ever confuse his strategic abilities and game planning with Belichick.

But yeah, this is an impressive season from Brady. He probably hadn't heard of most of those receivers before this season. I still think that the Pats messed up big time by not keeping Welker, though it hasn't really hurt them from a W-L perspective.

No the "Mill Vanilli Bandits" did it.... girl you know its true....

Peyton Manning
    SUSPECTS ARRESTED
    in Papa John's Pizza Robbery
    12/13/2013 3:34 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
    EXCLUSIVE
    1213_peyton_manning_papajohns_article

Peyton Manning is one step closer to JUSTICE ... 'cause Denver cops have arrested the two men suspected of robbing the QB's Papa John's restaurant at gunpoint last month ... TMZ Sports has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... 29-year-old Derrick Ervin and his older brother Jeremy Ervin were taken into custody last week ... after investigators connected them to the Nov. 17 robbery at Peyton's Denver-area pizza joint.

We broke the story ... 2 men entered the pizza joint with guns and demanded cash from the workers while the Denver Broncos were playing the Kansas City Chiefs.

We're told ... police believe the suspects are a criminal duo nicknamed the "Milli Vanilli Bandits" ... a duo suspected of robbing more than a dozen restaurants and other small businesses in the area.

The duo got the nickname because they bare a slight resemblance to the disgraced lip-synchers.

Story developing ...

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/13/peyton...#ixzz2nUergSc0

He's SI Sportsman of the year a rather odd choice though

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/spo...013/?eref=sihp

It should have been Mariano Rivera.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'm thinking he wasn't selected because the Yankees weren't relevant this year.

I figured it was going to be either Adam Scott or Jimmie Johnson.

Even Serena Williams I would've chosen.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    It should have been Mariano Rivera.
    SI already ran a huge article on him earlier this year so i do not think they wanted to write another because there would not be much different from the last article. Throw in the fact Peyton lost last year after coming off 4 neck surgeries to Lebron and I can see how Peyton won.

I can see why they gave it to him, but I thought Rivera was going to get it as well.

The more I think about this the more I think the Boston Marathon Runners should've gotten it.

If they wanted to give it to Manning they should've done so in 2007 instead of Brett Favre.

I'm thinking he wasn't selected because the Yankees weren't relevant this year.

I figured it was going to be either Adam Scott or Jimmie Johnson.

Even Serena Williams I would've chosen.
    All of those, or even David Ortiz for World series heroics. But I'd have also been OK with Mariano for basically redefining the closer role. But unless Peyton's gaudy regular season heroics continue into winter for a change, it seems an odd choice.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    All of those, or even David Ortiz for World series heroics. But I'd have also been OK with Mariano for basically redefining the closer role. But unless Peyton's gaudy regular season heroics continue into winter for a change, it seems an odd choice.

To me, it seems like a "well, we really wanted to give you the award last year for overcoming an injury, but couldn't since Lebron won his first title" type of thing........

I know that Rivera had a ton of exposure this year, but I think he should have won the award as both a tribute to his legendary career as well as the fact that he came back after a devastating injury at age 43 without really missing a step.

This is rather catchy but I'd think being a Bengals fan he'd have done one for Andy Dalton.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the video. Here is the SI article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/spo...portsman-2013/

For those interested as to whether he kept his Indy house, here's this from page 3 of the article:

Recently, he sold his house in Indianapolis, and Ashley flew back for the closing. She walked the halls narrating a video shot with her phone. In the basement she said, "Here's where Peyton spent a lot of nights helping the Colts win a lot of games." He chokes on the words as he repeats them.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/spo...#ixzz2nqmzTwSi

Wow, this is interesting:

Four days later the Colts -- who had the first pick in the draft and were eyeing Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck -- cut him. "I think it broke his heart," Archie says. "I think he understood the reality [was], It's time for me to go. And then I think he reconsidered and said, 'No, I'm supposed to play my whole career here.' So he went back and told them, 'I'll help Andrew, and we'll make it work. I want to stay.' " He couldn't bear to be Johnny Unitas in San Diego, Joe Namath in L.A. The Colts, however, had already moved on. Manning could not have been more gracious in the tearful press conference that followed, referring to owner Jim Irsay as "my friend," but when he arrived at Broncos headquarters the next day for a free-agent visit, Elway saw another side. "He was in shock," Elway says. "Everybody kept telling him he was going to get released, and he didn't believe them until it happened. He wanted to prove they made the wrong decision. He wouldn't say that, because he's not that type of guy, but that's the message I got. When great competitors get scorned, they come back with a vengeance. We signed a Hall of Famer with a chip on his shoulder."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/spo...#ixzz2nqnhDona

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I could've sworn I posted that article here or maybe I did that at Coltsclique

That being said does anyone still think it wasn't about the $$$?

Sure do. With the salary floor, it's not like Irsay was saved money hand over fist or anything. There's only 4M difference between 2011 and 2012. It was more about securing the Colts future for the next decade than anything else.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

'I'll help Andrew, and we'll make it work. I want to stay. As long as I am still the highest paid player in the NFL.'

​the quote left off that last part

I'm not surprised that Manning made a comment like that in the heat of the emotional moment. But there was just no way to keep both Manning and Luck. Manning has already played two years post-injury and looks like he could easily do a couple of more. At the end of the day, he will probably have played about 4-5 years after the injury. There's no way in hell that Luck would have stayed on the bench that long. That would have just been a complete waste of a young talent and a giant disservice to him. Had the Colts kept Manning, then I'm guessing that Luck's camp would have politely pushed for a trade.

At the end of the day, the Colts either had to go all in on Manning or all in on Luck. This was a scenario where there was just no way to have your cake and eat it too.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Sure do. With the salary floor, it's not like Irsay was saved money hand over fist or anything. There's only 4M difference between 2011 and 2012. It was more about securing the Colts future for the next decade than anything else.
    If Manning stayed I don't think Wayne and Mathis would be here or possibly Luck for that matter. Regardless while I agree with the decision to move on from Manning I don't find Jimbo all that forthright about the whole thing either.

Its cheaper to have a team with the younger version of Peyton rather than the real life aging version of the QB who took up most of the salary cap. I mean I doubt he was thrilled to have ended up paying the guy $20 million to be out the entire season.

He shouldn't have said if Manning was healthy he'd be a Colt that's what bothered me the most about all of this. It was an obvious lie because he looked pretty good in 2012 no?

That being said it worked out for both sides the Colts have a future and the Broncos have a QB to escape Tebowmania.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

I could've sworn I posted that article here or maybe I did that at Coltsclique

$$$$$ definitely played a huge factor. Andrew Luck signed a four year $22.1 million dollar deal with a fifth year team option that the Colts will surely use. So that means that for the first five years of his career, the Colts will be paying pennies for Luck based on the value he gives us. He is without question the best value in the NFL from a "production given per dollar" standpoint.

The NFL lockout was a glorious event because it meant that rookies like Sam Bradford could no longer get billion dollar contracts. Can you imagine what Luck's contract would have been if he would have come out just a couple years earlier?

If Manning stayed I don't think Wayne and Mathis would be here or possibly Luck for that matter.
    Then that explains why Irsay was willing to give Manning even more money than what he signed for, and accounts for how Irsay was so excited for how cap friendly the deal was.

I tend to think his first statements on the deal were closer to the truth, rather than his PR sell job a year later.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    At the end of the day, the Colts either had to go all in on Manning or all in on Luck.
    Yep. And that's why money really wasn't that big of an issue. Because staying with Peyton would have meant the Colts were all in for the next few seasons, and they would have retained what they thought they needed and found savings else where.

Then that explains why Irsay was willing to give Manning even more money than what he signed for, and accounts for how Irsay was so excited for how cap friendly the deal was.

I tend to think his first statements on the deal were closer to the truth, rather than his PR sell job a year later.

I think that he was fine with giving Peyton that deal in 2011 because back then he was still living in a world where Peyton Manning was all he had ever known as an owner. But when we had the Number 1 pick 6 months later, it dawned on him that he could have four years of Luck for roughly the cost of one year of Manning. Then we will give Luck that fifth year team option. After that fifth year, he is obviously going to sign a massive contract, but roughly 1/3 or so of his career will be had for a super cheap price. He's definitely the best player in the NFL from a "value given per dollar paid" standpoint.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

That was before Andrew Luck became a possibility after that Manning was damaged goods to him. NFL owners don't care about the players if there's someone younger and cheaper that can be just as good they will get chosen every time.

That was before Andrew Luck became a possibility after that Manning was damaged goods to him. NFL owners don't care about the players if there's someone younger and cheaper that can be just as good they will get chosen every time.
    Agreed. Money wouldn't have been a problem, if it wasn't for Andrew Luck. Therefore, money wasn't the problem, Andrew Luck was. The decision was about whether or not to set yourself up for the future, not if you could afford a team with Peyton on it.