Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Peyton Manning thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013 Peyton Manning thread

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you honestly think that they went from thinking he would be ready to play in the season opener (on Aug 29) to probably missing the entire season on Sept 6th? That is literally 8 days.
    That is more or less what happened to the Pacers with Granger last year. He went from going to play in the season opener to not being able to play until the end of March, or in other words the length of an NFL season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    That is more or less what happened to the Pacers with Granger last year. He went from going to play in the season opener to not being able to play until the end of March, or in other words the length of an NFL season.
    Basketball and football is a little different, because of the importance of specific roles. Danny's role can be consumed by multiple players, whereas a QBs role cannot. Also, I think they did have a plan even if it turned out to be a bad one. Gerald Green.
    ďJust because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.Ē ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So NFL Radio is still talking about nothing but Irsay's comments.

Come on, peeps, I listened to Irsay, I know how he is. I understood totally what he was saying, and I never got the indication that he was bashing Manning. He was admitting that he wanted to change how the team was structured. He never said it was wrong; just said that back in the 2000s, they did it a certain way, which at the time he felt was the way to go, and after some reflection, he decided that maybe he wanted to go a different direction. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. That's a smart, rich man basically saying, "I'm willing to realize I can improve things, and will take the actions to make it happen."

I completely agree with the direction he's taken the team in the past few years. I always loved Manning, but the way the team was structured, it was very hard to advance deep in the playoffs. Everyone knew this. We hoped against it... but ultimately that lack of balance did us in every friggin year.

And Peyton Manning DID do a ton for this franchise --- so has Jim Irsay. Even more, honestly. He's the rich dude who has taken this entire team on his shoulders and moulded it the way he has; it was him that paid that entire front office and player-base. It was him that has committed to this city and built the Colt's brand here. He deserves as much credit as Manning for the success this team has had in the past 15 years. Manning was amazing on the field, but it all doesn't work if Irsay isn't putting a successful business around him. Manning isn't Irsay. Manning is the more public face. Irsay is the guy who actually drives this show. I think people forget that. Mannign wasn't driving the show, as much as most people want to fantasize about that. He was always at Irsay's command.

And let's not forget ---- Irsay is planning a huge home-coming for Manning. Who does that? An *******? I think people are missing the big picture, by a metric mile. Irsay's words didn't come out the way he thought; people read into it incorrectly, as people usually do.

I'm not taking sides. I'm defending Jim against what I think is an incorrect portrayal. Manning and Irsay are the two most important figures in Indianapolis Colts history, and people shouldn't think otherwise. Both of those men are why this state has a football team to watch right now.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Someone tweeted that article from SI back from the Super Bowl XLI. Interesting snippets although nothing new.

In pursuit of a victory that would recast his reputation, his heart racing with agitation, Peyton Manning called the boldest and most controversial audible of his career. Twelve days before he was to face the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XLI, Manning stood up in a meeting room at the Indianapolis Colts' training facility and delivered an unpopular decree to his teammates, who had gathered to talk logistics before their weeklong trip to South Florida. Colts president Bill Polian, one of the NFL's most autocratic executives, had announced that there would be restrictions on visitors to the team's hotel in Fort Lauderdale but that players would be free to spend time with family members and other guests in the confines of their own rooms. Unnerved, Manning essentially threw out Polian's play for one more to his liking. "I don't think we should let anyone up in the rooms," Manning told the stunned group of players and coaches. "This is a business trip, and I don't want any distractions. I don't want any crying kids next to me while I'm trying to study." � That Manning would get his way was a foregone conclusion--Indy has been Peyton's Place since his arrival as the No. 1 pick in the 1998 draft--but grumblings of dissent still filled the room. "We were heated," recalls veteran cornerback Nick Harper. "People were saying, 'We're grown-*** men. We've got wives and kids, and we'll make those decisions for ourselves.' But, you know, it turned out all right."
    In an effort to replicate his routine in Indy, where he watches game film in his basement, Manning had the team provide a similar setup on the Marriott Harbor Beach resort's third floor, two below the off-limits level. He even listened to the same music on bus rides to and from practice that he did during car trips throughout the playoffs: a mix CD given to him by Ashley for Christmas. But instead of copying tunes like Bruce Springsteen's Glory Days to an iPod, Manning went retro. "Ashley bought me one of those Discman things for, like, eight bucks," he said. " Reggie Wayne and [linebacker] Cato June couldn't believe someone still made those anymore. They were taking pictures of it because they thought it was so funny. But hey, I kept to the routine."

Not every Colts player found humor in Manning's intensity. The no-visitors policy had some teammates complaining about the franchise's "Peyton Rules." And after Dungy and offensive coordinator Tom Moore asked for Manning's input in planning the Wednesday practice session, one player groused that the team should be renamed the Indianapolis Peytons.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...31/1/index.htm

RWB, would definitely be nodding when he reads that stuff.

Is Peyton suffering from a mild form of OCD? [half serious/half joking]

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

All the great athletes and driven individuals in anything have the same traits. They are obsessive, want things their own way to stick to routine, dislike changes to that routine, and will do whatever it takes to win. The difference is that Peyton has tremendous PR and so that makes him "likable" but in reality he's just the same. You know, laser rocket arm.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    All the great athletes and driven individuals in anything have the same traits. They are obsessive, want things their own way to stick to routine, dislike changes to that routine, and will do whatever it takes to win. The difference is that Peyton has tremendous PR and so that makes him "likable" but in reality he's just the same. You know, laser rocket arm.
    Well he's also white yes its un PC but if you're a person of color you know this. That being said it doesn't bother me at least they care I'd be more upset if they didn't.

As for the ceremony I rather they have waited till he retired no point in doing it now (and I thought this before Jimbo pressed that send button to his tweet)

Polian also predicted that Manning “won’t like the pregame ceremony, whatever it may be” on Sunday because Manning likes to prepare for every game the same way with no distractions.

When Steele said the separation between Manning and the Colts was “amicable,” Polian disagreed.

“He wanted to stay very badly right up until the end,” Polian said of Manning. “They cut him.”

And when Steele asked Polian for his thoughts on Sunday’s game, Polian didn’t opt for the politically correct answer. Instead, he made clear that he hopes Manning goes to Indianapolis and sticks it to the Colts.

“My heart would be with the Broncos all the way,” Polian said.

Almost two years after Irsay fired him, Polian sounds like he still has hard feelings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-for-denver/

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but these Polian comments are noteworthy. Colts fans try to tell themselves that the split was amicable and something that both Peyton and Colts mutually wanted, but that's just not the case. Peyton wanted to stay. There were hurt feelings. Peyton took the high road at the press conference, but there's little doubt that he was upset about what happened. Regardless of what one thinks about Polian, there's no doubt that the guy was a super close confidant of Peyton for 13 years. If he says that Peyton wanted to stay, then Peyton wanted to stay.

I'm not criticizing what the Colts did because it's worked out well so far, but I really do think that some Colts fans try to put on rose colored glasses with this situation when they act as if Peyton and Irsay were in complete agreement about what needed to happen. That's just not the case. Peyton wanted to be an Indianapolis Colt for his entire career and nothing else. He would have been more than happy to hang around the organization if they were bringing in a coup of assets for the Number 1 pick. That would have been a better situation than the one he signed up for in 2011 when he signed his contract here. It makes no sense to say that he wanted out one year later when the Colts would have been in better position.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-18-2013 at 09:28 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I want the Colts to win even more now knowing that Polian is rooting for the Broncos.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

I don't see the issue the Colts did fire Polian and the rest of his family(rightfully so of course) and he did draft Manning did anyone think he was going to root for the Colts?

A nonstory.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

I think there won't be a ceremony after all(what a relief)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...fore-the-game/

Broncos won’t (can’t) individually introduce Peyton Manning before the game

Posted by Mike Florio on October 18, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT

AP
    It’s still unclear what the Colts plan to do when Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning returns to town on Sunday night, but one thing is clear — Manning will not be individually introduced before the game.

Per multiple league sources, the NFL no longer allows visiting team to introduce specific players. Instead, the visiting team is now introduced as a group. The Broncos haven’t requested any type of exemption for Sunday night, and we’re told they don’t plan to.

Thus, while at some point there will be an occasion for the crowd to give Manning his much-deserved multi-minute standing ovation, it won’t happen via the P.A. announcer declaring, “. . . and at quarterback, Peyton Manning!”

The Broncos have twice before introduced specific players who were making their homecomings. In 2009, Denver brought Dawkins back to Philly for a rollicking reprise of his Weapon X routine. The Broncos went through a similar experience when safety John Lynch returned to Tampa.

Undoubtedly, some sort of memorable moment will happen, far different than the reception Brett Favre received in Green Bay four years ago. It definitely won’t happen with Manning emerging alone from the tunnel to be embraced one more time by the throng at Lucas Oil Stadium.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 10-18-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No sounds like they may do something, they just can't announce him individually.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I don't see the issue the Colts did fire Polian and the rest of his family(rightfully so of course) and he did draft Manning did anyone think he was going to root for the Colts?

A nonstory.

I didn't say it was a story, I just don't like Polian. The fact that Polian wants Manning to stick it to the Colts makes me hope we win and stick it to Polian. If not in this game, I really do hope we get a chance to play them in the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    No sounds like they may do something, they just can't announce him individually.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I'm kind of wondering how that's going to happen. I mean really are they going to have the Broncos team with him? Seems rather stupid which is why they should wait till he retires and this whole "Irsay brouhaha" is a distant memory.

I rather they just play the game and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I didn't say it was a story, I just don't like Polian. The fact that Polian wants Manning to stick it to the Colts makes me hope we win and stick it to Polian. If not in this game, I really do hope we get a chance to play them in the post season.
    This is really a general comment about people making it a story its common sense that would tell you Polian would root for the player he drafted to the Colts rather than the team that fired him and the rest of his family.

If Andrew Luck were to go elsewhere and he returned to Indy and Grigson was canned or something I expect him to root for Andrew over whoever was the Colts QB at the time same difference.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 10-18-2013 at 09:21 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

I'm kind of wondering how that's going to happen. I mean really are they going to have the Broncos team with him? Seems rather stupid which is why they should wait till he retires and this whole "Irsay brouhaha" is a distant memory.

I rather they just play the game and get it over with.

This is really a general comment about people making it a story its common sense that would tell you Polian would root for the player he drafted to the Colts rather than the team that fired him and the rest of his family.

If Andrew Luck were to go elsewhere and he returned to Indy and Grigson was canned or something I expect him to root for Andrew over whoever was the Colts QB at the time same difference.

Yeah, I agree. Don't expect Polian to ever get wishy-washy about the horseshoe that fired him in the end. It's just an organization and nice looking logo. For a guy like Polian, the personal relationships with guys like Manning are way more important than the organization itself. He's going to feel far more of a bond with the HOF QB that he worked with for 13 years than he is an organization that is for all practical purposes a completely different place nowadays (aside from a couple holdovers like Wayne and Mathis). I don't blame him for rooting for Peyton.

I'm sure Polian is butt hurt because he thinks the Colts should've kept him and Peyton... or that will be his story. He'd have been fine with drafting Luck and keeping himself too....

He just wants to be on the opposite side of the situation so he can keep telling himself he's the smartest man in the room.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I don't think I could care less who Bill Polian roots for these days. However, Jake Query had a pretty good tweet I thought:

@jakequery
    2009 Bill Polian: Records secondary to Super Bowls
    2013 Bill Polian: Irsay wrong to be dissapointed in 1 Super Bowl. Look at the records!

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Bill Polian is a squid, just like Bill Simmons
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Kravitz in yesterday's gushing love letter to Manning:

Ultimately, I don’t root for teams or even outcomes, but here’s what I want to see Sunday: An epic shootout between you and Andrew Luck. Don’t particularly care who wins, but I want a game that will show, once and for all, that this has been a giant win-win for everybody involved.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...Peyton-Manning

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the main sports voice of the Indy Star can't even bring himself to say that he's rooting for the Colts in this monster game? I expect the national media to be overly biased towards Manning in this game (ESPN might as well just give orange 18 jerseys to their anchors and analysts), but I would hope that the main voice of the local newspaper would openly profess that he's rooting for the Colts. I don't care that Kravitz used to work in Denver or that he was very close to Peyton here. I care that the main sports mouthpiece for the local newspaper can't even bring himself to say that he's rooting for the home team. Weak.

Kravitz acting like he is some casual objective bystander who doesn't root for teams is foolish. Would he have ever said that he didn't care who won the Colts-Pats AFCCG? Of course not. Would he have ever said that he didn't care who won the Super Bowl against the Saints? No freaking way. By saying that he doesn't care who wins this game, he's making it pretty clear that he's rooting for Denver, IMHO.

I don't care who Kravitz personally cheers to root for, but I do care that he as the main sports voice of the local newspaper can't even bring himself to root for the home team in the community he writes for. His salary is paid by a community of people who want to see the Colts win.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-19-2013 at 02:06 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

Ultimately, I don’t root for teams or even outcomes, but here’s what I want to see Sunday: An epic shootout between you and Andrew Luck. Don’t particularly care who wins, but I want a game that will show, once and for all, that this has been a giant win-win for everybody involved.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the main sports voice of the Indy Star can't even bring himself to say that he's rooting for the Colts in this monster game? I expect the national media to be overly biased towards Manning in this game (and they certainly have been), but I would hope that the main voice of the local newspaper would openly profess that he's rooting for the Colts. I don't care that Kravitz used to work in Denver or that he was very close to Peyton here. I care that the main sports mouthpiece for the local newspaper can't even bring himself to say that he's rooting for the home team. Weak.

Kravitz acting like he is some casual objective bystander who doesn't root for teams is foolish. Would he have ever said that he didn't care who won the Colts-Pats AFCCG? Of course not. Would he have ever said that he didn't care who won the Super Bowl against the Saints? No freaking way. By saying that he doesn't care who wins this game, he's making it pretty clear that he's rooting for Denver, IMHO.

I don't care who Kravitz personally cheers to root for, but I do care that he as the main sports voice of the local newspaper can't even bring himself to root for the home team in the community he writes for.

I agree. That is kind of weird. Don't particularly care who wins? C'mon Bob.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

Ultimately, I donít root for teams or even outcomes, but hereís what I want to see Sunday: An epic shootout between you and Andrew Luck. Donít particularly care who wins, but I want a game that will show, once and for all, that this has been a giant win-win for everybody involved.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the main sports voice of the Indy Star can't even bring himself to say that he's rooting for the Colts in this monster game? I expect the national media to be overly biased towards Manning in this game (ESPN might as well just give orange 18 jerseys to their anchors and analysts), but I would hope that the main voice of the local newspaper would openly profess that he's rooting for the Colts. I don't care that Kravitz used to work in Denver or that he was very close to Peyton here. I care that the main sports mouthpiece for the local newspaper can't even bring himself to say that he's rooting for the home team. Weak.

I don't care who Kravitz personally cheers to root for, but I do care that he as the main sports voice of the local newspaper can't even bring himself to root for the home team in the community he writes for. His salary is paid by a community of people who want to see the Colts win.

I don't think he's rooting for Denver I mean seeing as how he keeps going on how its the right decision to dump Manning (and it was but I'm not as gleeful about it as Kravy) I just think he's doing this to get hits for his column.

It works.

I don't think he's rooting for Denver I mean seeing as how he keeps going on how its the right decision to dump Manning (and it was but I'm not as gleeful about it as Kravy) I just think he's doing this to get hits for his column.

It works.
    I think these guys pride themselves as being objective JOURNALISTS so they have to say that for public consumption. And do we care whether any of these guys are presently Colt fans?

I'm just ready for this game to be over. Hopefully we play Denver out there next year if we both win our divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    I'm just ready for this game to be over. Hopefully we play Denver out there next year if we both win our divisions.

If this is correct, then yes, we would play Denver in Denver if we both won our division. This link says that we will play our equivalent AFC West opponent on the road:

http://www.fbschedules.com/nfl-14/20...l-schedule.php

If both the Colts and Pats win their division, then it looks like we'd be hosting them next year.

Not to get ahead of myself, but there are a ton of potentially huge matchups next year. It's 100% certain that we play Washington here, which will have a ton of hype. We go on the road to NYG and Dallas, either of which could be a SNF game. If the Colts, Broncos, and Pats win their divisions, then we'd play in Denver and host New England. I know I'm looking way too far ahead, but we're likely going to have a lot of prime time games next season.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-20-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peyton had 59.2 pass completion pct last night and that was his worst while playing for Denver...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well he's also white yes its un PC but if you're a person of color you know this. That being said it doesn't bother me at least they care I'd be more upset if they didn't.
    Not only is it not PC, it is just wrong too. It is because he is articulate and sounds smart. This is something that people of color often miss. Most white people don't care about the color of your skin anymore, but they do care about how articulate you are and how smart you sound. If a black person is articulate and comes off as a smart, and isn't a prima donna, us white folks will like him just as much as they will like a white guy. On the flip side if a white guy comes off as dumb, or is a prima donna, we aren't going to like him. Stop jumping to the race card so quickly, and start thinking about things more critically.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Basketball and football is a little different, because of the importance of specific roles. Danny's role can be consumed by multiple players, whereas a QBs role cannot. Also, I think they did have a plan even if it turned out to be a bad one. Gerald Green.
    Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that, but that doesn't really have anything to do with what I was saying.