Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Peyton Manning thread

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013 Peyton Manning thread

I love Peyton Manning, but I do not miss the pressure his offense puts on his own defense. 8 straight possessions of either a safety or a 3 and out are hard on your defense. And Peyton's offense did that often here, thus putting too much pressure on a fast but undersized defense.

I really like the balance attack of the offense with Luck. But the predictable 1st and 10 run needs to stop when we have the lead. Because Luck dumps it down after his 2nd read we can pick up 3-4 yards on first down. But Richardson is not get the yardage on first down we need. I think we won't see that till next year.

As much as I love this team. There is room for improvement. Which should scare the rest of the league. Once this defense locks down and stops the run, we are looking at an elite team. Meaning a consistent team.

But then I look at our loses. Both on the road. And both against hot teams. The Dolphins were hot when we lost. And the Chargers are one of the hottest teams in the AFC.

[QUOTE=Eleazar;1719899]Not only is it not PC, it is just wrong too. It is because he is articulate and sounds smart. This is something that people of color often miss. Most white people don't care about the color of your skin anymore, but they do care about how articulate you are and how smart you sound. If a black person is articulate and comes off as a smart, and isn't a prima donna, us white folks will like him just as much as they will like a white guy. On the flip side if a white guy comes off as dumb, or is a prima donna, we aren't going to like him. Stop jumping to the race card so quickly, and start thinking about things more critically.

Sure they don't if you really think a person of color is going to be judged the same as someone who is white well I don't know what to say. Its not about the "race card" its common sense of how society works when it comes to race relations. Is it always about race? No but if you don't think if factors into perception then that's not thinking critically.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton had 59.2 pass completion pct last night and that was his worst while playing for Denver...
    Help an NFL layman out: What is the typical pass completion % of elite quarterbacks, and what's the % for the entire league's QB's? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Help an NFL layman out: What is the typical pass completion % of elite quarterbacks, and what's the % for the entire league's QB's? Thanks
    Guys like Brady and Manning have been consistently mid 60's throughout the prime of their careers. Manning is at 71% this year, but one that high is almost unheard of.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I usually consider 60% and up to be very good. It really depends on what kind of an offense a team runs though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Sure they don't if you really think a person of color is going to be judged the same as someone who is white well I don't know what to say. Its not about the "race card" its common sense of how society works when it comes to race relations. Is it always about race? No but if you don't think if factors into perception then that's not thinking critically.
    I'm saying the common sense is wrong, and outdated. It is a hold over from a time where racism was extremely common.

I'm not saying there is no racism, only that people jump to the racism conclusion way too fast. This nation has a history of racism, and this history, for many, causes kneejerk reactions without proper assessment of the situation. Can racism be a cause of something, yes. Is it as often as it often gets blamed, no. Such in this case presentation is more of a defining factor. In which case most white people are at an advantage where a higher percentage grow up in a middle class family where they have parents who stress such things as many of their parents have to worry about how they present themselves at work. Meanwhile a larger percentage of blacks grow up poor and don't have parents who stress education and presentation the same way middle class parents do. This creates an apparent divide between black and white when in reality income is more of a defining factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I love Peyton Manning, but I do not miss the pressure his offense puts on his own defense. 8 straight possessions of either a safety or a 3 and out are hard on your defense. And Peyton's offense did that often here, thus putting too much pressure on a fast but undersized defense.

I really like the balance attack of the offense with Luck. But the predictable 1st and 10 run needs to stop when we have the lead. Because Luck dumps it down after his 2nd read we can pick up 3-4 yards on first down. But Richardson is not get the yardage on first down we need. I think we won't see that till next year.

As much as I love this team. There is room for improvement. Which should scare the rest of the league. Once this defense locks down and stops the run, we are looking at an elite team. Meaning a consistent team.

But then I look at our loses. Both on the road. And both against hot teams. The Dolphins were hot when we lost. And the Chargers are one of the hottest teams in the AFC.
    The "pressure" that Peyton puts on his defense is certainly not the norm. The Broncos came in as the number one offense in the league, the colts defense just played the game of their lives last night. Also, dumb penalties, inability to get open quickly, and inability to protect the QB were major factors last night.

The colts offense honestly put more pressure on their defense than the broncos offense did for their defense. We had quick drives, and a costly turnover on our side of the field.

Also we received the ball in plus territory quite a bit, but due to our Ineffectiveness especially late (1-7 in the 4th, -1yd passing and no run game to speak of) we almost let the Broncos come back late.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 10-21-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Nobody is talking about the fact that this game was so hyped that it was a playoff like atmosphere and other than late in the game Manning performed at a sub par level. Part of that loss is on Manning. Haven't we seen this many times before? I still don't trust him in playoff like situations and never will. I said before the game was played that the more hype that was put on this game could end up working in the Colts favor. Bingo. I like Manning and wouldn't mind seeing him win another SB, but I definitely wouldn't bet money on it. Just like always fans and media are drinking the Manning regular season kool-aid again this year.

Yeah except it was a regular season game much like the Manning Bowl earlier this season was hyped up yet people forgot all about that since the Giants suck this year. Or any game involving the Pats during the Manning era in the regular season.

This was no different but it was far more nauseating as far as pregame hype because of the whole "homecoming" but beyond that no it didn't feel like a playoff game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Nobody is talking about the fact that this game was so hyped that it was a playoff like atmosphere and other than late in the game Manning performed at a sub par level. Part of that loss is on Manning. Haven't we seen this many times before? I still don't trust him in playoff like situations and never will. I said before the game was played that the more hype that was put on this game could end up working in the Colts favor. Bingo. I like Manning and wouldn't mind seeing him win another SB, but I definitely wouldn't bet money on it. Just like always fans and media are drinking the Manning regular season kool-aid again this year.
    Well let's say it was a playoff game. The atmosphere in the stadium made it look like it for sure. What did Manning actually do wrong this time? Please don't tell me about the INT cause it's not on him. If anything, it's his RB that let his team down with that fumble in the redzone.

They had a scoring drive in 48 seconds.
    At the end there were no timeouts left to stop the clock. Our defense and secondary especially for the best part of the game was just magnificent.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Well let's say it was a playoff game. The atmosphere in the stadium made it look like it for sure. What did Manning actually do wrong this time? Please don't tell me about the INT cause it's not on him. If anything, it's his RB that let his team down with that fumble in the redzone.

At the end there were no timeouts left to stop the clock. Our defense and secondary especially for the best part of the game was just magnificent.
    Not to mention he had horrible field positioning pretty much all game. Hillman doesn't fumble that ball, or if Thomas catches that 2point conversion, then the end of the game is a different dynamic.

It's not that he did anything wrong per say, but his play was sub par compared to the rest of his games this year. For a guy that prides himself on reading defenses, the Broncos had A LOT of three and outs. It wasn't all his fault obviously(just like his playoff losses here), but it just seems in the biggest of atmospheres more often than not his game regresses just a bit. Even without the interception and fumble he missed some throws that he normally wouldn't miss IMO. That place was absolutely a playoff atmosphere last night. Heard many players comment on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Not to mention he had horrible field positioning pretty much all game. Hillman doesn't fumble that ball, or if Thomas catches that 2point conversion, then the end of the game is a different dynamic.
    W e had a big fumble by Trent and a dropped TD by Hilton. It goes both ways.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

TY didn't drop a TD, it was tipped
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    TY didn't drop a TD, it was tipped
    Disagree. The ball trajectory didn't change one bit. He did get a fingertip on it but even in slow mo you can see it didn't alter the flight of the ball. It's a drop in my book.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's not that he did anything wrong per say, but his play was sub par compared to the rest of his games this year. For a guy that prides himself on reading defenses, the Broncos had A LOT of three and outs. It wasn't all his fault obviously(just like his playoff losses here), but it just seems in the biggest of atmospheres more often than not his game regresses just a bit. Even without the interception and fumble he missed some throws that he normally wouldn't miss IMO. That place was absolutely a playoff atmosphere last night. Heard many players comment on that.
    They had a lot of 3 and outs indeed. But no matter how good you are there is always a bunch of guys on the other side playing too. And that's where I attribute to the yesterday's win. Manning can do so much. Could he have made a bit better throw at times? Hmm... yeah he could but even then there was no guarantee the receiver would have gotten the ball. He can't be perfect anyways.

People might have had that idea up to some point but personally I think many came to earth after the Dallas and Jacksonville game.

Actually in the playoff games he threw a pick here and there that was his fault even though he was never the sole reason for the loss.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Disagree. The ball trajectory didn't change one bit. He did get a fingertip on it but even in slow mo you can see it didn't alter the flight of the ball. It's a drop in my book.
    Personally I thought that fingertip was enough for the drop although not completely uncatchable but also believe only Cromartie and Hilton will ever know how that ball was affected by the former.

Yup, that ball should have been caught.

W e had a big fumble by Trent and a dropped TD by Hilton. It goes both ways.
    This is true.

My point was simply to point out that the game wasn't lost because of Manning as a poster seemed to allude to

Yes it did. I'm not really sure how else to argue this but the spiral that was thrown was altered when it got tipped. Even the slightest change can make it difficult to catch.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    (In addition to ^^ ...........)

Not sure what the exact dates were, but the Colts had to make a financial decision on Manning before OTAs and training camps started. In other words, Irsay would have had to commit to the money before he (or anyone else) knew that Manning would be able to play. Doing THAT would have been stupid.
    Going back to this, proving once again that the Colts signed Peyton without knowing if he'd ever play again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...e_story_4.html

Sollozzo brought up a quote about how Peyton wanted to play during that 2011-2012 season, well looks like he didn't even start throwing the ball again until Dec. 2011 so I really, really doubt that his wanting of play was anything more than pure "man I wish I could."

When Manning did begin to throw seriously again, he moved slowly and deliberately. For weeks he sat in front of a mirror and practiced his throwing motion, over and over, until it looked familiar again and he could repeat it. “So that was step one,” he says. “I said, ‘At least I know where my arm is.’ ”

Step two was a December 2011 trip to the Duke campus to begin work with Cutcliffe, who had watched him since he was 18 and understood him better as an athlete than anyone except his father. Cutcliffe designed a program of baby steps and small measurements, with the idea of rebuilding Manning’s confidence, along with his arm mechanics. “We started at ground zero,” Manning says. “It was good going to someone who knew you from the beginning.”

They worked in secret, because Manning continued to be highly self-conscious and by no means convinced he could make it back.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...e_story_4.html

So to sum it up Irsay re-signed Peyton to a contract smaller than Irsay was willing to pay, calling the contract "cap friendly" and wasn't even sure if Peyton would ever play in the NFL again. But less than a year later that cap friendly contract wasn't so cap friendly, and that not knowing if he'd play again was just too much of a risk.

Yeah, I'm calling shenangians on their whole PR argument and just think they found themselves in the position to be set at QB for the next decade and couldn't pass it up and needed a way to sell it to their fan base.

You really should go read the article though, some good stuff in there and it's way to long to post.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

Sollozzo brought up a quote about how Peyton wanted to play during that 2011-2012 season, well looks like he didn't even start throwing the ball again until Dec. 2011 so I really, really doubt that his wanting of play was anything more than pure "man I wish I could."

[
    His comments about wanting to play were in August 2011 BEFORE the surgery in September 2011, i.e. he was trying to rehab and avoid surgery. When you're referring to him not throwing until December, that's AFTER the major September surgery. I've never once implied that he was throwing in between September and December of 2011. He was obviously recovering from his surgery and couldn't do much. But he WAS doing things before it became obvious that he needed the surgery.

My point all along was that Peyton was doing everything possible in the summer of 2011 before the opener, such as throwing with Todd Helton in Denver (couldn't be with the Colts because of the lockout), or throwing in front of the Colts to try and persuade them to let him play the opener. He wanted to avoid the surgery, and the Colts obviously thought that would be the case.

So last summer, before the Colts could finally get a look at him -- before even they fully realized his condition -- Manning worked in secret with Rockies trainers, in hopes of avoiding the September operation that ultimately cost him the 2011 season. In June, he, a trainer and Helton went to the indoor batting cages at Coors Field. Millions of people have marveled over Manning's passes. This one to Helton, though, Manning wanted hidden from view.

''It was not good; he actually thought I was joking when I threw it to him,'' Manning said. ''The ball nose-dived. He was like 'That's funny.' I was like 'You don't understand. I'm telling you.' ''

Manning was leaning against a fence, still wiping away the sweat from his latest practice. He can laugh about that pass to Helton now, just as he did a few months later when, after a throwing session in which he tried to convince the Colts and himself that he was healthy enough to play in the season opener last September, he was told he looked like Chad Pennington, the former Jets and Dolphins quarterback whose lack of arm strength was often dissected.

A few days later, a magnetic resonance imaging test revealed that Manning would need spinal fusion surgery. The doctors told him then that at his age, they could not guarantee he would be able to return to playing football. That is the moment that set in motion the collapse of the Colts' season, Manning's wrenching departure from Indianapolis, the whirlwind free agency, the still-startling sight of him in a different jersey.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...5AC0A9649D8B63

Manning tried to rehab and throw throughout the summer of 2011, right up until the bitter end before the season opener.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 10-22-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Love that video. TV didn't show any of the video tribute so here you go.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was choked up when I was watching Peyton's homecoming at home on TV thousands miles away. Had I been at the stadium, I may have cried. Here I said it.

PEYTON MANNING
    ARMED ROBBERY
    At Papa John's Owned by QB
    EXCLUSIVE1118-peyton-papa-01
    While Peyton Manning was crushing the Kansas City Chiefs ... he got robbed -- one of his Papa John's stores was hit by armed thieves last night in Denver ... TMZ has learned.

Police tell us the caper went down around 7:30 PM -- right in the middle of Peyton and the Broncos big game -- at the PJ's near the University of Denver.

We're told two masked suspects with guns walked in to the store ... demanded employees hand over the money from the register ... got the loot, and then made a clean getaway.

No one was injured during the robbery, and it's unclear at this point how much cash the crooks got.

Police believe the suspects are guys in their 20s -- and say their description matches several other robberies in the area last night.

Peyton won't be hurting too bad -- he owns 21 Papa John's in Colorado, and as we told you ... they've been killing it lately.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/18/peyton...#ixzz2l17zN8KY