Thread: NBA will use new high-tech data cameras to track referees

Default NBA will use new high-tech data cameras to track referees

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...rack-referees/

NBA will use new high-tech data cameras to track referees

Getty Images
    A couple weeks ago, we brought you the report that the NBA would be paying to install the STATS SportVU cameras in the half of NBA arenas that do not yet have them. Expect that to become official in the next 24 hours.

With those cameras that track the position of the ball and every player on the court three times a second you get a wealth of data — how fast a player is, how well they shoot off one dribble versus three, detailed looks at team defensive positioning, the possibilities are virtually endless.

Also, the league could use it to track referees and see who is making calls and from what position on the court.

Which is something they plan to do, reports Zach Lowe at Grantland.

It won’t tout it, but one reason the league acted fast was to immediately enhance its ability to monitor referees — always a touchy subject. The cameras represent the most precise way to grade the three on-court officials based on how consistently and early they get into the league’s three set positions — called “lead,” “slot,” and “trail” — and whether they make appropriate calls from those positions based on their exact sight lines. This is the next stage in seeing which officials are the best, and thus deserving of high-stakes assignments, and in quantifying that in ways that are hard to dispute.

“We will use whatever data and means we can to improve our referees,” says Steve Hellmuth, the NBA’s executive vice president of operations and technology. “The refs haven’t been tracked before. Now for the first time, they will be.”

My guess is there is no way the league shares this data with the owners (despite Mark Cuban’s fervent wishes) as it tries to keep all its referee evaluations out of the public eye.

But it could help the league — are particular officials making a lot of calls where they do not have a good sightline? Are they missing certain things (the league used the cameras it had to look at defensive three seconds calls last season)? There will be other specific calls looked at with the cameras as well.

If it brings about better officiating, I’m all for it. I just think as usual it will not come with more transparency from the league.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA will use new high-tech data cameras to track referees

Why track them, I thought they all were the best in the league? At least according to every announcer.

@Pacers24Colts12

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers13Colts12 For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They can track them all they want. It doesn't mean they have to release the stats to the public (I think) or do anything else. Seems like a good PR move to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why track them, I thought they all were the best in the league? At least according to every announcer.
    Did you see the officiating in the NCAA championship game? They are the best.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    NBA officials suck. Except if you watch the Big 10 which suck worse. or international which suck worse. or high school. or the WNBA. or the NBADL. or any other form of organized basketball. Sucking is relative. NBA officials are the best, sad as that is.

But as long as there are 12 guys that can officiate the finals, I can live with that. If the league is reduced to having Mike Callahan and the Crawford brothers officiate every game of the finals, then they are in trouble.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

If the NBA refs are a C+/B- and every other level is a C or worse, then it's still fair to say they're the best.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Are all basketball officials who ever lived bad, or is basketball just an extremely difficult sport to officiate? Is officiating at all levels a problem, or is officiating a basketball game at least partially subjective, angering players and fans when a subjective call goes against them?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NBA refs do no wrong. Just ask David Stern....

_______

FlavaDave, IMO it is a extremely hard sport to officiate (for all the reasons you listed) and I think the NBA refs prob are alot better then they get credit for.

IMHO, I think the issue most fans have is the NBA just refuses to admit when they make a mistake, or at least that is the perception.

Of course I have to point out we have this same discussion last year (or 2 years ago, I cant remember) and UB came in and showed me plenty of cases where the NBA admits they did make a mistake....plus they had that NBA reffing show on NBATV (which they would make that a bigger show...maybe on ESPN or NBC)

Of course, no one is ever going to change my mind on superstar calls...but I digress on that one for today

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If the NBA refs are a C+/B- and every other level is a C or worse, then it's still fair to say they're the best.
    I'd be impressed if the ref defenders would rate them a C+/B-.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

It's a hard to game to officiate. I've seen PLAYERS call b.s. fouls in a recreational game of basketball.