Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thought Experiment: What if We Just Got Rid of the Draft?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thought Experiment: What if We Just Got Rid of the Draft?

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rebuilding by way of tanking. I'll say it again: Tanking is not players losing games on purpose. It is front offices losing games on purpose. Players play hard, they're not gonna lose games on purpose. I wouldn't lose a game on purpose at the YMCA, I doubt they would in their home arena.
    I think you are missing what fans call for when a season is winding down, which is for coaching staff to choose not to use players to their best level in order to lose games for a better draft position. This is also called "tanking".

In all honesty, I have no problem with a FO building a cheap team to clear the decks for rebuilding through good draft positions. When they do that kind of thing, it is pretty clear what the purpose is, and as long as the team as constituted plays hard and the coaching staff uses them well I think they will be supported by a fanbase. What I have a problem with is choosing to set up a team for failure when they could clearly play better - I think ultimately that is cheating the fans who bought tickets to the games being dumped and engenders resentment on the part of the fanbase - particularly when (as is often the case) the gamble really doesn't produce a superior player in the draft.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    The pro0blem with "punishing" "poorly run teams" is that we as fans in particular really have no earthly idea what constitutes a "poorly run team". Is going for the brass ring by spending lots of money and coming up short only to fall victim to the LT "poorly run"? Is saving money but never going for big talent "poorly run"? Is overpaying a superstar to stay "poorly run"? Is refusing to overpay a superstar to stay and thus losing attendance/marketing/games "poorly run"? Is Donald Sterling a "poor" owner because his franchise doesn't win big, or is he a "good" owner because his franchise doesn't lose great gobs of money? Is assembling a bunch of players and having them go down with injuries "poorly run"? Is being in the same division with a perennial powerhouse "poorly run"?

People use the counter examples of San Antonio and OKC as "well run" franchises, but bear in mind we would probably not be even thinking about San Antonio without what they got in the draft - and OKC had to be in the tank for years and end up with the team moving before they (once again via the draft) got a superstar player.

Far too often I think the "well run" franchises are the ones who either got lucky in the past and have maintained the status they got then OR have enough money or market that they can make huge mistakes and still not suffer for it in the attendance or attention area.

The draft (to me) is meant to try to level that and try to keep the NBA being all about who has the deepest pockets and the biggest fanbase. I maintain that there are probably just as few "poorly run" franchises as there are "well run" franchises - everyone else is like pretty much every business ever opened, run well enough to handle situations day-to-day but neither spectacularly prone to big mistakes nor amazingly able to make perfect moves.
    This is how I view the draft as well. It is there to help with the competitive balance of the league and allow the worst teams to be able to find talent and build their team. Creating an open market for rookies just makes the league about who has the deepest pockets and will ultimately regulate small market teams like the Pacers to the minor league. The NBA would start heading down the road that the MLB is traveling. Sure every once in awhile after years of mediocrity a smaller market team may find a diamond in the rough and be relevant for a few years. I cannot imagine a scenario where the Lakers outbid everyone for Wiggins because they have a bad year would be god for the overall health of the league.

If the NBA is looking at a couple of models of how to run their league and draft one would think you would want to mirror the style of the NFL since they run professional sports in this country and their rule is unquestioned. Part of the appeal with the NFL is that any team through smart drafting can rebuild quickly and be relevant.

I much rather see the draft go back to having the worst team get the first pick than to ever go to an open market world.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I really think that the chances of having a hard cap are less than the chances that we see a reality TV show called "Pig Dynasty" about a hard-working, hard-playing country family who made a fortune from manufacturing pig calls cherished by hunters who go out during pig season to hunt aerial porcine wonders.
    I think the chances of having a hard cap are greater than the chances of getting rid of the draft. :P

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post: