Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Orlando Johnson have a significant role this season?

Default Will Orlando Johnson have a significant role this season?

Reason why I ask is because while I see most people assuming he'll be outside the Pacers 9 or 10 man rotation, I really hope he's not.

In fact, I think I'd rather him play over Lance Stephenson if possible.

Sounds crazy, but I don't think it is. Look at every great offense in the NBA besides OKC. They all spread the floor with lots of shooters. GS, Miami, SAS, and Houston. All of those teams have absolutely explosive offenses. They're able to pour in the points because while they have primary scorers, they have lots of shooters who can spread the floor.

That was the biggest thing I think the Pacers were missing last season.

I imagine the following unit: Hill/Orlando/PG/Granger/Hibbert could absolutely destroy teams on offense. PG and Roy as primary scorers with 3 shooters on the outside?

Look, all Orlando has to do to fill the role played by so many guys like Ray Allen, and JJ Reddick, is play good enough defense so he's not a liability, understand the offense so he knows where to be, and come out and shoot with confidence.

I didn't expect that from a rookie. But he's no longer a rookie. He can flat out shoot. He has the body to be a very solid defender. I don't see any reason why he can't play that role.

I'm probably the only one, but I hope he sees serious minutes. He has a super high release, a quick release, and his form is pure. He's a shooter plain and simple.

Put him out there with the addition of dead eye shooter Danny Granger, and this team could instantly change from average offense to a juggernaut.

Any thoughts?
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Will Orlando Johnson have a significant role this season?

My initial thoughts are that you're crazy. I think we all like OJ and would like to see him play more, but you're really overestimating him. Lance had stretches of strong 3 point shooting, he was at 35% at the All Star break. Not great but plenty passable. Lotta talk about him working on his shooting this summer, if that pays off Lance does everything you're saying OJ would and a lot more.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He won't see anything outside garbage time except when their are injuries or we're resting guys. I like OJ a lot though, think he was a steal of a second rounder. His time may be next year if we do lose one of Lance/Danny.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jukeb0xHero For This Useful Post:

There just aren't any minutes left for him after PG, Granger, and Lance. When we brought in Scola that regulated Copeland to the 3 and took most of the garbage minutes away from OJ.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Don't underestimate Orlando. He's a gamer. Remember he played really well for being a rookie. He's extremely strong.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wtelfair For This Useful Post:

OJ was a fairly old rookie and played OK. I do like his game and he seems to be the kind of guy who can provide solid bench minutes. But he's no Lance Stephenson. He's older and not nearly as talented. Of course, players do develop in different ways.

If Granger is healthy, OJ isn't going to get many minutes. Scola and Copeland will handle backup PF...leaving Granger, George and Lance on the wing. If Granger is not healthy, OJ or Solo becomes a much more important player on this team.

Ediit: ...and if CJ Watson is strong we may see Hill on the wing more. Much depends on how effective CJ is and how healthy Granger is.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I like OJ. But there's no way he's in the 10-man rotation barring an injury.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like OJ, but I doubt he will be used much.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the Pacers will find enough meaningful time for OJ to determine whether he is a keeper beyond this season. Barring an injury, that is about it.
    Last edited by beast23; 09-01-2013 at 09:31 PM.

OJ is a solid player, but I don't think he'll ever be part of our rotation.

Mood

No thanks man, Lance is 10 times the player OJ is. I like OJ too. I definitely wanted to play him over Green last year...but playing him over Lance? No lol.

Well I'll be in the .003% but. It's not that I think OJ is so great, (tho I do think he should be a really solid rotational player) I don't think Lance is as good as everyone thinks.

Basically last year he was a guy that could provide solid defense with no offense. While he showed flashes, I just don't think he's as good as everyone thinks. He can't shoot. He shot 33% last season on 2.5 attempts, and they were wide open looks. He was left alone but couldn't convert.

He's not overly fast or quick. His main asset is his strength and long arms. Not sure it'll ever translate to any sort of exceptional play.

OJ on the other hand should be able to step in and be a dominate three point threat. He's a pure shooter that can get his shot off on anyone. Given the chance, I think he would play better than Lance.

On offense, I'd rather have a guy that can step in and 4 or 5 three's a game, spreading the court versus Lance who didn't really do much on offense except on transition. Even his transition offense wasn't as good as everyone thinks it was.

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reason why I ask is because while I see most people assuming he'll be outside the Pacers 9 or 10 man rotation, I really hope he's not.

In fact, I think I'd rather him play over Lance Stephenson if possible.

Sounds crazy, but I don't think it is. Look at every great offense in the NBA besides OKC. They all spread the floor with lots of shooters. GS, Miami, SAS, and Houston. All of those teams have absolutely explosive offenses. They're able to pour in the points because while they have primary scorers, they have lots of shooters who can spread the floor.

That was the biggest thing I think the Pacers were missing last season.

I imagine the following unit: Hill/Orlando/PG/Granger/Hibbert could absolutely destroy teams on offense. PG and Roy as primary scorers with 3 shooters on the outside?

Look, all Orlando has to do to fill the role played by so many guys like Ray Allen, and JJ Reddick, is play good enough defense so he's not a liability, understand the offense so he knows where to be, and come out and shoot with confidence.

I didn't expect that from a rookie. But he's no longer a rookie. He can flat out shoot. He has the body to be a very solid defender. I don't see any reason why he can't play that role.

I'm probably the only one, but I hope he sees serious minutes. He has a super high release, a quick release, and his form is pure. He's a shooter plain and simple.

Put him out there with the addition of dead eye shooter Danny Granger, and this team could instantly change from average offense to a juggernaut.

Any thoughts?
    I was fine til over lance... Lance is going to be a star, maybe not a superstar, but a star.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

I like Orlando, and I believe he can be a high-quality backup shooting guard on a contender for the bulk of his career if he keeps working to be consistent, but I don't think this is his year unless we have injuries. I think next summer we lose Danny and/or Lance, and then he will have his shot.

Orlando and Solomon are probably the future of our bench as we need to get cheaper moving forward to afford our core pieces without getting into the luxury tax. And honestly, at first glance, I'm okay with that so long as Paul George is better and/or more consistent this year and stays consistent moving forward. I'm more concerned with replacing Scola and West in few years because they are the older pieces of the core.

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I'm a fan of OJ, but currently he's going to be a backup used sparingly unless a key wing is injured.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

I agree that Lance isn't as good as many like to believe, nor does he have the potential some want him to have. I think OJ has a good future ahead of him, but OJ's shot is going to have to become a lot more consistent for him to get a lot of time this year.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Orlando could be our bench of the future but not this season. Lance maybe overstated, but he is more proven than OJ.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Well I'll be in the .003% but. It's not that I think OJ is so great, (tho I do think he should be a really solid rotational player) I don't think Lance is as good as everyone thinks.

Basically last year he was a guy that could provide solid defense with no offense. While he showed flashes, I just don't think he's as good as everyone thinks. He can't shoot. He shot 33% last season on 2.5 attempts, and they were wide open looks. He was left alone but couldn't convert.

He's not overly fast or quick. His main asset is his strength and long arms. Not sure it'll ever translate to any sort of exceptional play.

OJ on the other hand should be able to step in and be a dominate three point threat. He's a pure shooter that can get his shot off on anyone. Given the chance, I think he would play better than Lance.

On offense, I'd rather have a guy that can step in and 4 or 5 three's a game, spreading the court versus Lance who didn't really do much on offense except on transition. Even his transition offense wasn't as good as everyone thinks it was.
    Lance's strengths are many. Yes his arms are long and he's an ox. But there are more important parts to his game.

First, not to get too technical, but he can ball. He has a natural gift for the game that Danny Granger could only dream about. He can see the floor and deliver passes that other guys simply cannot do. He's still raw yet he can set guys up like a star PG at times. He has a creativity to his game that other players simply don't have in their arsenal. For a guy with his size, he can dribble and drive to the bucket better than most players. There is a lot to like about his game and he's just getting started. His shot has improved dramatically over the last 12 months as well. If we see half the improvement from last year...you have an all-star level talent. If he's topped out, he may just be a 6th man type of player and that's it.

Edit: if Lance plays with Scola and Copeland, he will be deadly dishing the ball to those guys against backups. Lance's value is ultimately putting pressure on the defense and dishing to a team mate for a wide open look. He's that good at delivering the ball.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 09-01-2013 at 08:06 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Lance's strengths are many. Yes his arms are long and he's an ox. But there are more important parts to his game.

First, not to get too technical, but he can ball. He has a natural gift for the game that Danny Granger could only dream about. He can see the floor and deliver passes that other guys simply cannot do. He's still raw yet he can set guys up like a star PG at times. He has a creativity to his game that other players simply don't have in their arsenal. For a guy with his size, he can dribble and drive to the bucket better than most players. There is a lot to like about his game and he's just getting started. His shot has improved dramatically over the last 12 months as well. If we see half the improvement from last year...you have an all-star level talent. If he's topped out, he may just be a 6th man type of player and that's it.

Edit: if Lance plays with Scola and Copeland, he will be deadly dishing the ball to those guys against backups. Lance's value is ultimately putting pressure on the defense and dishing to a team mate for a wide open look. He's that good at delivering the ball.
    "... a natural gift for the game that Danny Granger could only dream about."

Really?

I love Lance and think he's perfect for a team like this (and I do think his gifts are unique), but you are vastly underrating Danny here.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to kidthecat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No. In fact its likely his best years are behind him.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

He's pretty damn fast and quick.

Agree shooting needs to improve big-time. It's possible: see James Jones, Sam Perkins, probably several others.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    He's pretty damn fast and quick.

Agree shooting needs to improve big-time. It's possible: see James Jones, Sam Perkins, probably several others.
    Nah, he's actually not a better athlete than Orlando believe it or not.

He's got flashy ball handling to go with some killer moves that make it seem like he's faster than he is..

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Johnson-6338/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile....ephenson-1287/

Orlando is stronger, has longer arms, is quicker, is just as fast and has a much higher vertical.

Read it and weep:

Quote Originally Posted by kidthecat View Post

Really?

I love Lance and think he's perfect for a team like this (and I do think his gifts are unique), but you are vastly underrating Danny here.
    I agree. I see a Lance as a long term rotational player and a starter on several teams but I don't see him ever getting to Grangers level and lay money that he'll never make an all star game. If he continues to develop though he'll have a long nba career as a solid player. For someone who thinks they see a star in Lance that's an insult but it's just being realistic IMO. Lance still has a big leg up on O.J. though.

Quote Originally Posted by kidthecat View Post

Really?

Danny is a spectacular shooter. He scores A LOT because he is one of the best shooters ever to don a Pacer uniform. But he can't dribble or pass very well. He is not a great rebounder. He is not great in the open floor. He is adequate on defense. He can't do anything in the game better than an average NBA starter...other than shooting which he is one of the better in the league. If healthy, he is better than Lance Stephenson right now. But Lance has the tools to be a better player. What you have with Danny is a guy who has maximized his natural abilities. What you have with Lance is a guy with more natural skills than Danny Granger...skills that we may or may never see.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Danny is a spectacular shooter. He scores A LOT because he is one of the best shooters ever to don a Pacer uniform. But he can't dribble or pass very well. He is not a great rebounder. He is not great in the open floor. He is adequate on defense. He can't do anything in the game better than an average NBA starter...other than shooting which he is one of the better in the league. If healthy, he is better than Lance Stephenson right now. But Lance has the tools to be a better player. What you have with Danny is a guy who has maximized his natural abilities. What you have with Lance is a guy with more natural skills than Danny Granger...skills that we may or may never see.
    Man, there you go making Reggie comparisons again.

Seriously, though, Danny consistently shoots an awful lot of free throws for a guy who can't dribble.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post: