Thread: Yahoo Redesign it's websites

Default Yahoo Redesign it's websites

And they look horrible, just check out the sports.yahoo.com/nba . I used to go to yahoo because it was simple and clean, now it is just a huge mess.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Yahoo Redesign it's websites

I don't mind it on fantasy football, but everything else looks horrible. I don't like the non solid background. But I don't go to Yahoo for most things anyways so I don't really care.

@Pacers24Colts12

I've never thought their page layouts were that good to begin with, but this reminds me of the mess MSN (not just sports, but in general) was years ago. MSN may still be as bad, but I can't say because I haven't visited there for years. The page layout is one of the main reasons I've never made Yahoo or MSN my home page.

It looks like a 1990's era website, dunno what in the world they are thinking.

I can't believe a site as big as Yahoo green lit that. I'm sure coding wise it's extremely complicated but it's terrible on the eyes. Isn't text on an image background a big no no in web design 101?

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And they look horrible, just check out the sports.yahoo.com/nba . I used to go to yahoo because it was simple and clean, now it is just a huge mess.
    It's much cleaner than it used to be. The main content is now down the middle, and the menu stays within view the whole time along the left hand side. They also don't use nested menus, but it puts everything in view once you're in a sport.

I just checked Yahoo's main page (www.yahoo.com) and it is a fairly simple blue text (for the most part) on a light, almost white background. I much prefer that to the Yahoo NBA page.

EDIT: OK, I just looked at some of their other pages. News, Science and such just have three large pictures with captions in the center of the page, with videos you can scroll down through on the right side. I don't care for any of that. I don't want to watch the videos. I just want to read the news. Worthless to me. Some things never change, regardless of how much they "change".
    Last edited by Tom White; 08-28-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stat View Post
    It looks like a 1990's era website, dunno what in the world they are thinking.
    Websites have become too cluttered over time, and the more linear format also helps the visibility of their ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I can't believe a site as big as Yahoo green lit that. I'm sure coding wise it's extremely complicated but it's terrible on the eyes. Isn't text on an image background a big no no in web design 101?
    The background image is blurred enough, and there is a gradient behind the text. The darker background makes it easier on the eyes by lowering the brightness of the screen without lowering the brightness of the text.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yahoo is still around?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Yahoo is still around?
    The most visited website in America; almost 200,000,000 unique visitors last month.

Yahoo Surpasses Google in Web Traffic, Somehow - NYTimes.com

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, that looks absolutely terrible. Not like the site has ever really been worth much, since Woj is more accessible on Twitter.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yahoo drives me nuts. They constantly change how thing work and feel (look). Just about when you get used to something, BLAMMO!!!, it changes.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard_Skull For This Useful Post:

Say it out loud. Graham Mernatsi's Avatar

The ghost of English Majors past has awoken because every single word in the title is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Yahoo Redesign it's websites
    Yahoo => Yahoo!
    Redesign = > Redesigns
    it's = Its
    websites = Website

Yahoo! Redesigns Its Website

If you want to get technical, we'd generally assume Yahoo! to be a collective noun (like Pacers) and thus the title would read "Yahoo! Redesigns Their Website." If you wanted to avoid that problem entirely, go with "Yahoo! Redesigns Website." Finally, if you meant to write a sentence instead of a title, I would award full credit for "Yahoo redesigns their website."

Last edited by Graham Mernatsi; 08-28-2013 at 08:44 PM.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Graham Mernatsi For This Useful Post:

Oh wow... SO. BAD.

My webdesigner instincts are freaking out right now.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

I finally looked at the site today in my work computer and network and liked it. It loaded quickly, was easy to navigate, and did not hang up going from page to page like many other bloated sites do. I also liked the selections being on the side bar I stead of the top.

Most likely, something is wrong with the CSS for sports. the rest of Yahoo's sites look fine. Likely there is a display error.

Overall it is better than what Yahoo used to have in my opinion, but I have never had a high opinion of Yahoos look and feel to the majority of their site. Similar to ESPN it was always just too cluttered, too much going on in too small of space. ESPN really has one of the worst mainstream websites out there.

P.S. AOL is still one of the top 5 most visited websites?

A long time complaint of mine is some people are skillful at organizing data, and some people are skillful at programming. Sites need programmers to be online, but not many programmers are skillful at organizing the data. Thus on most sites you just have a hodgepodge of information that's badly organized.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mernatsi View Post
    The ghost of English Majors past has awoken because every single word in the title is wrong.
    Its allways pleazing 2 sea U droppe bye hear!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mernatsi View Post

Yahoo => Yahoo!
    Redesign = > Redesigns
    it's = Its
    websites = Website

Yahoo! Redesigns Its Website

If you want to get technical, we'd generally assume Yahoo! to be a collective noun (like Pacers) and thus the title would read "Yahoo! Redesigns Their Website." If you wanted to avoid that problem entirely, go with "Yahoo! Redesigns Website." Finally, if you meant to write a sentence instead of a title, I would award full credit for "Yahoo redesigns their website."

You need to be more diligent, too many people around here using apart when they mean a part.

i don't like the new design at all. they started making changes back in april with getting rid of their avatars and have just made bad choices time and again. they also got rid of their notifications so if someone responds to a comment- you don't know about it. there are several things the new ceo has done and i'm struggling to find one thing that i like about what she has done.