Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 non-Colts thread

Default Re: 2013 non-Colts thread

Bluboy isn't me I promise lol. We don't even spell our name the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe... but that's not when he threw the flag or WHERE he threw the flag. The flag is roughly supposed to be thrown to the spot of the foul.
    that's what I said

... in bad ref tradition, he waited to see if the catch was made anyway before throwing the flag. Then he screwed up again in not spotting it back at the 8 yard line or so.

It's like the bad basketball ref who sees a shooter being fouled but doesn't call anything until he sees whether the guy makes the shot anyway. If it misses, then TWEET. If he hits, nothing. The ref waited to see if Boyce could catch it. Just awful.

No Gronk, no Wilfork, no Mayo, no Vollmer.

R.I.P. season

---clarification:

I'm saying it was either

1) a blown call because there was no PI anywhere.

or

2) a blown call because the spot was wrong and it should have been spotted at the 9 yard line.

The contact at the 9 yard line is at least arguably significant. I can't find any way to call the contact in the end zone as significant, even with my Pats colored glasses on.

Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-09-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    Bluboy isn't me I promise lol. We don't even spell our name the same!
    Hmmm... if you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have even considered it. Now you got me concerned....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    One of the comments after a "Bluboy" post:

"Oh god, not this guy again. "

lmao

http://forums.colts.com/topic/23395-...y-on-the-game/
    ...and he's about to make another emoticon, similar to what he did here, of his.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    No Gronk, no Wilfork, no Mayo, no Vollmer.

R.I.P. season
    I still think the Pats can make some noise and could still make the Super Bowl if all of the bounces fall their way. But I was beginning to think that the Pats were the best team in the AFC. A healthy Gronk might be the best positional player in the entire game and it's just amazing what he does for that offense. I don't think I'd consider them the best anymore. Losing him is a huge blow. But that Vereen guy is an all out stud and you were without him earlier in the season when Gronk wasn't playing. So I don't think that the offense will revert back to early season form.

W/O Gronk: 20.8 ppg, 348.8 yds, 19.7 first downs
    With Gronk: 32.8 ppg, 406.7 yds, 26.0 first downs (against a better schedule)

With the injury losses I do not think that the Pats are even one of the 15 most talented rosters in the NFL. That has to catch up to them sooner or later, I'd think.

Now they are relegated to spreading the field and throwing to the smurfs. I really really fear that Brady will be the next player to go down. He has not faced so many sacks and pressures in years.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    That Gronk hit looked pretty bad. These low hits are the consequences of the new NFL rules.
    Oh come on. Because players can't go for a 10inch target above the shoulders they have to go for a target below the knees? That 4 ft of torso inbetween too small to hit?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Maybe... but that's not when he threw the flag or WHERE he threw the flag. The flag is roughly supposed to be thrown to the spot of the foul. So I'd have to say that contact outside the goal line isn't what drew the flag....
    You can just look at where they spotted the ball after the penalty was enforced. It wasn't spotted near the 10, but at the goal line, so they said it happened in the endzone.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Oh come on. Because players can't go for a 10inch target above the shoulders they have to go for a target below the knees? That 4 ft of torso inbetween too small to hit?

Defensive players have a split second to make a decision. They are very conscious of the fact that a high hit could result in a foul or penalty. I read that Ward has already been fined three times. These guys don't like losing their money. The lower the hit, the safer your bank account is. What good does a middle of the torso hit do against a monster like Gronk who will drag you about 10 yards? The quickest way to bring him down is either through a high hit or a lower hit. Since the high hit is likely going to get penalized, a player is going to result to a low hit. That's just the consequences of the rules and we're going to continue to see it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

They don't have just a split second. They know where they're going to try to hit someone as their running to make the play, not just when they leave their feet. If injuries like this are because guys have to go low, we would be seeing an increase in the number of knee injuries after the rules were changed, yet we aren't.

You're already admitting that players can be tackled, without going high or low, just that it's not as "quick." So it's a choice. They choose to go low. NFL defenders are quick enough phsyically and mentally to adjust their target areas. I have a hard time believing it's either the 10in target above the shoulders or the 16in target below the knees, when there's 4-5 FEET worth of target between.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    First time on-line in 8 days, and the top story is a Redskins story, and not a good one.

Personally, I think M. Shanny is in CYA mode (and I dont buy he cleaned out his office before a game basically admitting defeat and leaving 12-14M on the table), but one common thread appears.

IDK who said it, but I saw the quote on twitter. Owners own, coaches coach, payers play.

With all of that said, Shanny was given full control of this franchise. Something Snyder has never done before. Snyder did not force his terrible son to call ****** plays, Snyder did not force our ST's to suck all year.

We are back to being the LOLSKINS. Sigh. Just sigh
    Have to believe Snyder is the problem. Have loosely followed the Redskins since moving here ten years ago and he's the common denominator. People say Mike S. was given control but come on, really, a megalomaniac like Snyder is never going to give up full control. It is human nature for Redskins fans to deny the fact that they will never win anything with Snyder as the owner, but its still probably true. Mike S. has a demonstrated success of winning elsewhere, as do so many people who have come to DC and failed. Now obviously some people will botch things up but the fact that so many successful people have flopped in Washington and maybe Mike S. has made a lot of mistakes (hiring his dumb son to be OC the biggest one) , but the fact that so many great players and coaches have failed under Danny Boy makes me believe the boy prince himself is the problem.

Also have to believe Danny Boy has now reacted by counteracting the recent ESPN story with false contentions, no surprise there either. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see that he has corrupted RG3. Dan Snyder is like a moronic child, every time he trades all his draft picks and gets a shiny new toy he trashes it within a few years. What a loser. Sorry for Redskins fans.
    Last edited by idioteque; 12-09-2013 at 11:57 AM.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-acl-and-lcl/

Tyrann Mathieu suffers torn ACL and LCL

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 9, 2013, 11:55 AM EST
    Tyrann Mathieu
    AP
    You didn’t need to see Cardinals rookie Tyrann Mathieu go down to know it was bad.

Tests have confirmed it’s perhaps worse than it looked.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Mathieu tore both the ACL and the LCL in yesterday’s ugly collision.

Tearing multiple ligaments complicates any recovery, so it might not be as simple as assuming he’ll be well when the Cardinals start back next summer.

Mathieu was blossoming into a playmaker for the Cardinals, justifying the third-round draft pick, as be could play safety and cover slot receivers.

Defensive players go low because the refs have proven they will call penalties on clean hits when high, let alone if it crosses a line and actually is bad hit.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Defensive players go low because the refs have proven they will call penalties on clean hits when high, let alone if it crosses a line and actually is bad hit.
    I bet the NFL will look to eliminate low tackles on defensiveless receivers next. Players will *****, and they'll adjust.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Ten years from now we'll probably be watching flag football. I just expect penalties to be called every time a QB or receiver gets hit anymore.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...jured-reserve/

Jaguars sign Delone Carter, place Justin Forsett on injured reserve

Posted by Josh Alper on December 9, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
    6c7db2dc6e3860fdb191f65abeee1399
    Getty Images
    The Jaguars are back to work after an extended break following last Thursday’s win and the business at hand includes some roster shuffling.

Running back Justin Forsett and wide receiver Stephen Burton are heading to injured reserve while former Colts running back Delone Carter will be coming on board. Forsett broke a bone in his foot a couple of weeks ago, ending a season that saw him get the ball just 21 times in 12 games. Burton, a 2011 seventh-round pick in Minnesota, has been out with a concussion for about a month.

Carter was with the Ravens this summer after a trade with the Colts, but couldn’t win a spot on the roster. The 2011 fourth-rounder ran 133 for 499 yards and five touchdowns during two seasons with the Colts.

Linebacker LaRoy Reynolds is eligible to return from suspension, so he may be ticketed for the other currently open roster spot in Jacksonville.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When you are a DB going up against a TE like Gronk going for the torso would be stupid as you are more likely to just bounce off the guy. Going low is the smarter hit because no matter how big you are you will go down if the legs are taken out.

I am sure the NFL will start to ban hits below the waist as well and we can enjoy DBs bouncing off when they go for the torso and the offense will have the rules skewed even more towards them.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    When you are a DB going up against a TE like Gronk going for the torso would be stupid as you are more likely to just bounce off the guy.
    The guy made of flubber now?

Any time someone comes out with the excuse "X made me do Y" they should get laughed at.

EDIT: Also, if tackling Gronk at the knees is the only way to really get him down, then he would have a much longer history of knee injuries. On a related note, this is why I laugh at the players union and their lawsuit against the NFL with regards to concussions. The union, and it's players, try to buck the NFL anytime they try to impliment player safety rules and then try to sue that it's too dangerous. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.
    Last edited by Since86; 12-09-2013 at 03:09 PM.

The guy made of flubber now?

Any time someone comes out with the excuse "X made me do something" they should get laughed at.

There's nothing to excuse. It was a legal hit and Ward will pay $0 in fines.

Regardless if it was legal or not, saying the rules forced him to target Gronk low is an excuse.

Regardless if it was legal or not, saying the rules forced him to target Gronk low is an excuse.
    The lower the hit, the less likely you are to pay a fine. Sure, he could have aimed for the torso, but what happens if Gronk decides to go down before he hits him a la Harrison? Then a hit that was intended for the torso could instead be catching him in the head.

Low shots are the smartest thing for the defender from a penalty and $ perspective.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-09-2013 at 03:16 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

There's a difference between going low and going at a players knees. I will NEVER EVER buy the excuse that an athlete that plays defense in the NFL doesn't have the ability to target their hits between at the knees and at the thigh. Never, ever will I believe it.

I get things happen, and injuries are going to occur, but the guy went straight for his knees IMHO. It's just as dirty as sticking your foot underneath a jump shooter. (Actually I think it's dirtier because ankle injuries are a drop in the pan compared to knee injuries, for most)

EDIT: And I mean upper thigh, like hitting someone right at their ingunial crease.
    Last edited by Since86; 12-09-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Have to believe Snyder is the problem. Have loosely followed the Redskins since moving here ten years ago and he's the common denominator. People say Mike S. was given control but come on, really, a megalomaniac like Snyder is never going to give up full control. It is human nature for Redskins fans to deny the fact that they will never win anything with Snyder as the owner, but its still probably true. Mike S. has a demonstrated success of winning elsewhere, as do so many people who have come to DC and failed. Now obviously some people will botch things up but the fact that so many successful people have flopped in Washington and maybe Mike S. has made a lot of mistakes (hiring his dumb son to be OC the biggest one) , but the fact that so many great players and coaches have failed under Danny Boy makes me believe the boy prince himself is the problem.

Also have to believe Danny Boy has now reacted by counteracting the recent ESPN story with false contentions, no surprise there either. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see that he has corrupted RG3. Dan Snyder is like a moronic child, every time he trades all his draft picks and gets a shiny new toy he trashes it within a few years. What a loser. Sorry for Redskins fans.
    I do not think you give Shanny enough blame in this post (esp. considering Shanny and his agents stressed he would not coming to Washington unless he had full, 100% control) , but all the rest I agree with

It seemed like Snyder was making strides in the right direction....

(Disclaimer of legal mumbo jumbo: If this is a one year bump in the road and we get our 36M we had robbed from the NFL back and we start making moves next year I reserve the right to take back everything I have said the last 24 hours. Sadly, I think I have a better chance of winning the Powerball then that happening, but then again I never saw us winning the division last year....)
    Last edited by vapacersfan; 12-09-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Knees seem to get taken out if you hit them from the side or (more rarely) when roll up on them from the back. I'm thinking maybe tackling at the knees, like clipping, should require you to be in front of the person you are tackling.

There is going to have to be a "strike zone" rule sooner or later, I think.

Sports Logo

The Jags IRed Justin Forsette and signed Delone Carter