Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 non-Colts thread

Default Re: 2013 non-Colts thread

What bothers me the most about this is if it was any other team but New England the media would've moved on by now.

Even if it was called that doesn't mean the Pats would win (people seem to forget that ended up being an INT) they would just have another shot at the endzone.

Its not like the Packers/Seahawks game where that really was the difference between a win/loss here.

That was way worse.

Regardless the refs should've explained it right then and there otherwise it just fuels the "conspiracy theories"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

I think it would have been talked about even MORE if it were a team that most wanted to win. The typical reaction was "wow that sucked, too bad, they deserve it". It got a day of talk, mostly since it was actually on ESPN and they could generate their own hype.

As to the second point, one of the first articles posted overnight Monday and widely quoted was the odds of scoring from the 1 yard line on the untimed down. Historically it's a 50-50 proposition and I don't think anyone implied anything else.

I'd agree that the Seattle-GB call was far far worse, and it was the the #1 discussion everywhere until the ref strike was settled, a couple of days later IIRC. That one was clear to everyone and even the NFL didn't go overboard trying to stand behind it.

This is worse only in one aspect: the NFL is determined to stand by the call as being not just unchangable (that is to be expected) but also the correct call. That's just laughable, they know it, and the reasoning the NFL gives for the support is ever-changing. It has gone from

1) it was an uncatchable ball! to
    2) it was simultaneous INT and illegal contact! to
    3) Well, it looks kinda close, at real speed, and without replay, so it was perfectly understandable, they are doing their best, and they should be lauded for following procedures and talking it over!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What bothers me the most about this is if it was any other team but New England the media would've moved on by now.
    ESPN's offices are in New England. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of their employees are Pats fans.

Most of Connecticut, including Bristol and all of the largest cities, is Giants country. It is a frequent complaint of Patriots fans there, since Patriots games are not ever televised in Hartford when they conflict with Giants games. This is despite the fact that once upon as time the team threatened to move to Hartford unless Gillette stadium was built
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    ESPN's offices are in New England. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of their employees are Pats fans.
    They certainly get tingles up their legs whenever they talk about the Red Sox.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Sports Science analysis- the ball was well within Gronk's catch radius if the bear hug did not occur.
    ESPN has now removed the sports science video from their web site. Maybe Roger didn't like that segment?

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    ESPN has now removed the sports science video from their web site. Maybe Roger didn't like that segment?
    Wouldn't surprise me at all. This image/$$ obsessed commissioner will stop at nothing to "protect the shield", even if it involves Mafia-like scare tactics and threats.

Even worse than the call itself is the NFL's refusal to admit wrong doing. In their paranoid delusions, they think that foolishly acting like the right call was made when everyone can see otherwise is somehow better for the product than manning up and admitting wrongdoing while promising that they will try not to let it happen again.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-22-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Yes, I don't see what wrong with saying "We got the call wrong. Errors such as this one, realized after the outcome was finalized, are not correctable. Human error cannot be totally eliminated, though we will always strive to minimize the chance of officiating errors or to correct them in the flow of the game.

When baseball had a World Series turn on an obvious bad call in the 80s, they stood up to it. The umpire apologized, said he was embarrassed, and almost in tears he said that he'd do his best to make sure he never made such as mistake again.

That seems like the more honorable approach.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Maybe we should bring the replacement refs back? The clowns last night didn't throw a flag on this, which IMO is more obvious than the Brees hit last week:

I guess Matt Ryan lost preferential treatment privileges since he is currently quarterbacking a 2 win team.

We want the Seattle-New Orleans MNF game on Dec 2 to be a battle for the 1 seed and don't want to see the Saints fall two games back before it. - NFL to refs before the game / tinfoil hat.

All of the headlines today are about the Saints having the chance to go into Seattle and grab the Number 1 seed. That's far more interesting than the Falcons getting some meaningless feel good win........
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-22-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me at all. This image/$$ obsessed commissioner will stop at nothing to "protect the shield", even if it involves Mafia-like scare tactics and threats.
    He probably watched ESPN personalities change their tune from the night of The Brawl to the next day, called Stern's office, and took notes. I'm pretty sure it was ESPN, but recently there was an article out about how sports leagues control the media on things. I'll see if I can find it again.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

on a day when people are thinking of what happened 50 years ago, a much more pleasant though admittedly insignificant event occurred a year ago today:

THE BUTTFUMBLE!

Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-22-2013 at 02:29 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...peech-is-free/

Cannon fined $15,750 for leg whip, Brady’s speech is free

Posted by Darin Gantt on November 22, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
    b5154b02d03afa553077a45abcab88bb
    AP
    For the Patriots, the guy who was contrite after the game was the one paying more than the guy who was furious.

The league has confirmed to PFT that Patriots right tackle Marcus Cannon was fined $15,750 for his leg-whip of Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson, while quarterback Tom Brady was not fined for chewing out the game officials on his way off the field.

Cannon’s play was by any reasonable measure a dirty one, which led him to apologize to Johnson after the game. Of course, it resulted in a MCL sprain for Johnson, who will miss this week’s game against the Dolphins.

For Brady, his free speech rights remain free, after he was caught on the broadcast berating the officials who picked up a flag instead of calling a last-second pass interference on Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly. The Patriots quarterback was in rather salty form, according to amateur lip-readers everywhere, but he was not punished by the league.

It would be so Giant-ish if they started out 0-6, somehow found a way to rebound and win that pathetic division, and then went on a Super Bowl run.

I picked the Giants to be 8-8 this season but I think the Eagles will win that division.

The Giants aren't hosting an SB

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lol at RGIII not wanting the Redskins coaching staff putting up bad plays of him on the board. How insecure can you be?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-his-bad-plays
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Please this is only an issue because the Redskins aren't good this year. If they were winning nobody would care I doubt RG3 is the only one that does this.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Awful group of early games today. I guess Chargers/Chiefs would be the most crucial to Colts fans. It's still plausible we could overtake them in the standings, especially considering we play them in week 15.

Yeah the only game on right now in Indy is the Bears-Rams game. Zzzzzz. I have it on, but am not paying much attention to it. I figure I will watch like 8 straight hours of football today with Colts-Cardinals and Pats-Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yeah the only game on right now in Indy is the Bears-Rams game. Zzzzzz. I have it on, but am not paying much attention to it. I figure I will watch like 8 straight hours of football today with Colts-Cardinals and Pats-Broncos.
    Why couldn't this game have been on last week?

But yes I'm only half watching it I think the Rams are better off without Bradford.

Chiefs lead 7-3 after a 32 yd TD pass from Alex Smith to Donnie Avery

But yes I'm only half watching it I think the Rams are better off without Bradford.
    The rookie salary cap might be the best thing to ever come out of a sports lockout. Sam Bradford rookie contract in 2010: Six year $78 million ($50 million guaranteed). Andrew Luck rookie contract in 2012: Four years $22.1 million with a fifth year team option.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Please this is only an issue because the Redskins aren't good this year. If they were winning nobody would care I doubt RG3 is the only one that does this.
    No it's an issue. It's a childish reaction at least. It's not like they will use it to punish you but teach you.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Shanny refuted this early on, saying he first heard about it from a reporter.

Even if it is true (which would not surprise me with any pro athletes) I think Shanny literally laughs in his face.

Non story, except the Skins suck. If the team is winning (or even .500) this story does not get reported IMO

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Bucs are back!

Banned
    Mood

How pissed off will Vikings fans be if this tie ends up costing them the #1 pick?