Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 non-Colts thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013 non-Colts thread

Argh.....The Saints' playcalling at the end was annoying. Not only you basically had 6 downs to earn a first down and you didn't but you have your QB, who happens to be one of the best passers in the game, running a bootleg on 3rd down. Really?

If you wanna run the ball to kill more time then use your RB and hope for some some good blocking.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ............... just hope RG3 gets more comfortable being a "traditional" passer...........
    Hate to be the one to break it to you, but that just doesn't happen. He's played the game the same way for years. Asking him to change now, in the NFL ......... just doesn't happen.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Hate to be the one to break it to you, but that just doesn't happen. He's played the game the same way for years. Asking him to change now, in the NFL ......... just doesn't happen.
    I dont expect him to turn into Peyton and Brady, bit e already looks more comfortable this year in the pocket then he did at all last season.....

Minute by minute probability of victory analysis- wild!

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1936...g/original.png

The huge spike upwards at 3 minutes was when the Saints scored to go ahead on 3rd-and-20 when the WR got deep and beat double coverage.

It was up over 99% Saints later.

Then it fell off the cliff at 0:05

http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-s...ium=socialflow

How unlikely was Tom Brady's game-winning pass to Kenbrell Thompkins? Unlikely enough to make this Win Probability chart for the Saints look like it got stabbed in the heart with a spear.

After Brady missed Julian Edelman with 30 seconds left leaving the Pats stranded at the NO 26, the Saints WP was up to 0.99—the win was virtually assured. With 24 seconds left, it actually shot all the way down to 0.58 after a completion, before recovering to 0.78 with 11 seconds left. And then Brady hit Thompkins and the Saints' needed a miracle.

However people want to paint that game as gift-wrapped, one thing is certain: Drew Brees going three-and-out seven times in any game is pretty amazing D. Only one really bad play.

Considering all the injuries to the Patriots defense (both DTs out, one being Wilfork, Talib being out much of the 2nd half, Mayo being out much of the 4th quarter), that is truly amazing.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 10-14-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Yeah I prefer politics not bleed into my sports coverage I didn't care for his anti gun rant from last season either.

And I agree I think RG3 would be better served with someone other than Shanahan at the helm he was fortunate to have been coaching a team with John Elway and Terrell Davis years ago because that's really all he's living off of at this point.
    I get the feeling more and more every week that if Kyle Shanahan wasn't Mike's son, he'd be running one of Peyton Manning's Pappa John's franchises somewhere.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Argh.....The Saints' playcalling at the end was annoying. Not only you basically had 6 downs to earn a first down and you didn't but you have your QB, who happens to be one of the best passers in the game, running a bootleg on 3rd down. Really?

If you wanna run the ball to kill more time then use your RB and hope for some some good blocking.
    Maybe this is my ignorance of not being an offensive coordinator in the NFL, but to me you put the ball in the hands of your best player when it is time win the game. You are not giving the ball to OJ to win a game against the Heat. You are giving the ball to PG. So why take the ball out of Brees's hands? I get they want to run the ball and kill some time, but what they did was basically neuter their offense and take the ball out of their best players hand.

If I am going to watch a loss by my team I rather go out with Luck throwing an interception than running the ball with Donald Brown to kill some time and hope Brady does not do what Brady does best. It is like these coaches do not even watch the games. All you need is a first down and the game is over.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/98...ack-matt-flynn

Bills sign QB Matt Flynn

The Buffalo Bills signed quarterback Matt Flynn on Monday.

The Bills plan to sign Matt Flynn, who struggled in his brief time with the Raiders this season before he was released.
    Flynn was in Buffalo on Sunday, before quarterback Thad Lewis suffered a right foot injury in an overtime loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. Lewis was starting in place of rookie EJ Manuel, who is expected to miss several weeks with a knee injury.

Lewis said Sunday his injury is "just a sprain." He was limping in the locker room after undergoing postgame X-rays.

"They said the X-rays looked good," Lewis said. "I should be fine. That's a great sign."

Prior to the game, Bills coach Doug Marrone said he would assess the quarterback situation following Lewis' start Sunday, just the second of his career.

The Oakland Raiders released Flynn last week after he was demoted to third on their depth chart. In his one start this season, a Sept. 29 loss to the Washington Redskins, Flynn completed 21-of-32 passes for 227 yards and a touchdown, but threw an interception and was sacked seven times

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Maybe this is my ignorance of not being an offensive coordinator in the NFL, but to me you put the ball in the hands of your best player when it is time win the game. You are not giving the ball to OJ to win a game against the Heat. You are giving the ball to PG. So why take the ball out of Brees's hands? I get they want to run the ball and kill some time, but what they did was basically neuter their offense and take the ball out of their best players hand.

If I am going to watch a loss by my team I rather go out with Luck throwing an interception than running the ball with Donald Brown to kill some time and hope Brady does not do what Brady does best. It is like these coaches do not even watch the games. All you need is a first down and the game is over.
    Honestly, the Saints had already "won" the game if they control the clock. They threw it for some reason on their 2nd to last possession, which saved a timeout for the Patriots. If they run it there and gain nothing, they win the game because the Pats offense doesn't have enough time to score. They just needed to play the clock to win that game. They got cute with the bootleg and the pass. Picking up a 1st would have been nice but unnecessary after the interception.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

The Saints started celebrating a little early, it seems, with players rubbing their "game ball"

http://i.imgur.com/AkjCXaD.gif

They threw it for some reason on their 2nd to last possession, which saved a timeout for the Patriots. If they run it there and gain nothing, they win the game because the Pats offense doesn't have enough time to score. They just needed to play the clock to win that game. They got cute with the bootleg and the pass. Picking up a 1st would have been nice but unnecessary after the interception.
    I have heard more criticism of the Saints not throwing the ball on the Brees attempted bootleg in their last possession than I have heard criticism of the Saints throwing the ball on the previous possession. Both of the choices can't really be criticized. they tried each option once, and neither one worked!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Brandon Weeden turned 30 today. Man, the last Browns executive regime was awful.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ribbs-finally/

Jets set to sign Josh Cribbs, finally

After looking him over several times, the Jets have decided to go ahead and make a move to boost their return game.

A league source confirms to PFT the Jets are signing Joshua Cribbs.

Cribbs made the rounds this summer, trying to prove to teams he was well enough to play. If he is, the All-Decade return man could add an element the Jets have lacked.

With Clyde Gates banged up (shoulder), there could be an immediate opening for a kick returner. Although Gates has gotten better the last two weeks, heís averaging 24.9 yards per return for the season.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl...1241--nfl.html

Vikings announce quarterback Josh Freeman will start against New York Giants on Monday

The Minnesota Vikings are ready to see what quarterback Josh Freeman can bring to the table.
    The Vikings announced that the newly acquired quarterback would start against the New York Giants on Monday.

Vikings coach Leslie Frazierís willingness to start Freeman less than two weeks since the free agent signed with his squad indicates he has seen enough of quarterbacks Christian Ponder and Matt Cassel, who struggled during a blowout loss against the Carolina Panthers this past week. Cassel completed 32-of-44 passes for 241 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions during that 35-10 defeat.
    Freeman, who was a first-round pick (17th overall) of Tampa Bay in 2009 and is just 25 years old, has thrown for 13,534 yards, 80 touchdowns and 66 interceptions in his career. He was recently released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and signed a one-year deal with Minnesota.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually think starting Freeman is the right move. I mean, at this point, why not?

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...se-jay-ratliff

Cowboys release Jay Ratliff

AP Photo/Gus Ruelas
    The Cowboys released defensive tackle Jay Ratliff, who had been eligible to come off the PUP list.
    IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have cut defensive tackle Jay Ratliff.

Ratliff was eligible to come off the physically unable to perform (PUP) list this week but the team decided to part ways with the four-time Pro Bowler instead.

The Cowboys put Ratliff on the PUP list at the start of training camp after he suffered a strained hamstring in the conditioning run. He also still was recovering from a sports hernia surgery last December.

Coach Jason Garrett mostly has deflected questions about Ratliff, saying the organization had to have discussions regarding Ratliff before they would activate him so he could practice.

The Cowboys restructured Ratliff's contract in the spring to create salary-cap space and hoped he would return to form in the defensive move to the 4-3 scheme but he was unable to get healthy enough to play.

Ratliff made the Pro Bowl from 2008-11 as a 3-4 nose tackle. He had 25 sacks in 104 games.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pats lost Jerod Mayo to season ending injury. Quite an important loss. Also

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 4h
    Jerod Mayo ranks 2nd in the NFL in tackles since his rookie season in 2008. He has 425 more than the next-most by a Patriots player.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

I don't think anybody would dispute that Wilfork and Mayo are their two best defensive players. Most likely Talib is #3, and he could be out awhile too. The second best D-tackle after Wilfork was Tommy Kelly, and he is likely out a few weeks as well. And on offense? wow...

The outlook for maintaining their current level of defensive production is dim. Right now they at 14th in yards per game (347.7) and 4th in points per game (16.2): http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...sition/defense

Tough losses. Hoodie will still get the max out of the guys who play, but there's no doubt that losing these guys will sting.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/98...-sideline-runs

RG3 admits that he will try to draw late hit penalties against the defense when he runs out of bounds. Really a loser move on his part, admitting this. It's the NFL equivalent of flopping. And he obviously tried to do it a couple times in Dallas even if he won't admit it.

I'm glad we have Luck.

If you want a good laugh, read some of these:

http://profootballmock.com/category/...s-on-facebook/

They get rude, but damn - they're funny.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post

RG3 admits that he will try to draw late hit penalties against the defense when he runs out of bounds. Really a loser move on his part, admitting this. It's the NFL equivalent of flopping. And he obviously tried to do it a couple times in Dallas even if he won't admit it.

I'm glad we have Luck.
    To me, that's not even the issue. For the past year and a half he's been told that he needs to learn how to protect himself - sliding, getting out-of-bounds, but apparently he's still clueless. The point of sliding or running out of bounds is to live to see another play, another series, another game. His stutter-stepping trying to draw a late hit is idiotic. The upside is 15 yards and a first down. The downside is blowing out another knee, separating a shoulder, concussion, etc.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post

I'm glad we have Luck.
    The NFL has always said if the player is running out of bounds (and lets be real, they mean QB) then it is a penalty. I hate the rule, but they are consistent (sort of) with it.

____

As for him admitting it, I have no problem with it. Not like we are scoring a bunch of points, every yard counts. Just dont complain when someone knocked your *** out next time you try t

Not really sure how this shows anything about him versus Luck.....but since I am on a Colts board I will leave that one alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    To me, that's not even the issue. For the past year and a half he's been told that he needs to learn how to protect himself - sliding, getting out-of-bounds, but apparently he's still clueless. The point of sliding or running out of bounds is to live to see another play, another series, another game. His stutter-stepping trying to draw a late hit is idiotic. The upside is 15 yards and a first down. The downside is blowing out another knee, separating a shoulder, concussion, etc.
    To me this is on him being an idiot (85%) and the other 15% is WHAT THE HELL ARE THE COACHES DOING.

They need to spend 45 minutes every game forcing him to slide. Get in through his head his *** needs to slide!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    To me this is on him being an idiot (85%) and the other 15% is WHAT THE HELL ARE THE COACHES DOING.

They need to spend 45 minutes every game forcing him to slide. Get in through his head his *** needs to slide!!!!!!!!!
    Then he'd just start waiting until the last possible nanosecond to slide, hoping to draw a late hit/unnecessary roughness.

For a guy that for the most part seems to be fairly intelligent, he's just a complete moron with this. Gaming for a late hit out of bounds is every bit as dangerous to his health as diving for that extra yard instead of sliding. Sure the upside is an extra 14 yards, but at the expense of another torn up knee???

Ray Lewis has been a great addition to ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown.

Hard to believe he's not nearly as irritating as I thought he would be.

Anyone else notice that the games on CBS are different than what was reported earlier in the week at least for me.

I thought I was getting Pats/Jets and Raven/Steelers now its Bengals/Lions(which makes more sense) and Texans/Chiefs.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post: