Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 non-Colts thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013 non-Colts thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Belichick's post-game was one of the funniest I've seen in awhile. He is a master of making everyone feel extremely intimidated and awkward. The periods of silence, and then the nervous questions by the reporters... it was quite entertaining to see him sit up there knowing full well how uncomfortable he was making everyone, lol... I was cracking up. On NFL network Heath Evans was getting a kick out of it, too. Gotta give it to Belichick, he's one of a kind... love him or hate him.
    Lol, I agree. It's pure comedy. The reporters quiver as if they are Bonasera asking Don Corleone for the favor in the first scene of The Godfather.

The best parts are the silence when you hear the microphone making the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I beg to differ. This is a guy who seriously believes that Roger Goodell personnally oversaw the creation of a power outage in the Super Bowl for the purpose of intentionally altering the outcome the game.

I think he is basically Emmitt Smith, but with a lot more anger and with an even lower IQ.

If in excellent you mean entertaining, in an unintentional comedy sort of way, then I guess I can agree somewhat.

I don't know about intentionally altering but I do think it helped the Niners it was going to be another SB blowout at that point. I mean does anyone really put anything past Goodell anymore.

I mean this guy made it a point to have the Spygate tapes destroyed which drew more suspicion.

Course I won't expect you to acknowledge that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    If you want to go there,

remember that "A" happened just before "B" on 3rd and long, which would have effectively ended a Super Bowl.

A: (the still photo doesn't do it justice, the hold lasted for several seconds)

B:

Edit: Offensive holding is, as we know, a judgement call. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is.

The options are, as I see it, on the Gronk endzone no-call:

Was the receiver held? yes
    Was there contact beyond 5 yards? yes
    Did the defender impede the receiver from making a play on the ball? yes

So take your pick. He held, made illegal contact, then committed pass interference. The holding and illegal contact options cannot be reversed by "catchability"

The rulebook:

A defensive player may not tackle or hold an opponent other than a runner...The defensive player cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an eligible receiver in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops. Beyond this five-yard limitation, a defender may use his hands or arms ONLY to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. In such reaction, the defender may not contact a receiver who attempts to take a path to evade him.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/useofhands
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-19-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Slick, you should have brought Eli down on that play regardless any holding How he slipped away from the Tackle is almost unbelievable but admiral too.

I posted the photo cause it's recent and always funny watching the Pats moaning about refs. It's also a bit rich imo.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

I don't think the bad call was in the top 6 reasons why the Patriots lost last night.

Top 5:
    1) lost 1st half possession in FG range: Ridley fumble
    2) lost 1st half possession in FG range: Mankins dead ball personal foul penalty
    3) lost 1st half possession in FG range: 3rd down sack allowed, unblocked rusher
    4) Talib losing his cool and helping the Panthers score, also first half
    5 & 6) Inability to contain Newton on a couple of 3rd-and-long scrambles
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I was thinking more of the constant DPI in the 2003 AFC Championship Game. What goes around,

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    I don't think the bad call was in the top 6 reasons why the Patriots lost last night.

Top 5:
    1) lost 1st half possession in FG range: Ridley fumble
    2) lost 1st half possession in FG range: Mankins dead ball personal foul penalty
    3) lost 1st half possession in FG range: 3rd down sack allowed, unblocked rusher
    4) Talib losing his cool and helping the Panthers score, also first half
    5 & 6) Inability to contain Newton on a couple of 3rd-and-long scrambles
    1) Are there legitimate concerns about Ridley heading to the future regarding his fumbles?

5&6)Completely agree and is a killer situation for defense.

I don't know if it's a case of Newton getting his head out of his *** or the team in general stepping up, but he's having an impressing season so far and shows what a really good player he is.
    His completion pct is higher (a really good 62.2%) than the other 2 seasons, he's on pace to exceed his passing TD's, his QBR is higher at this stage and seems to me more willing to make reads and throw the ball. Gave me the impression at times last year he wanted to rush with the ball than throw it.

I know it's been said a lot but if you wanna have a long future in the league, you'd better develop a sound pocket presence otherwise scrambling and running for first downs most of the time, won't get you that far.

Ridley won't keep playing IMO if he keeps fumbling and Vereen and Blount do not.

one last comparison- illegal contact began within a most a few feet and perhaps a few inches from where the ball was caught. Look at the feet relative to the letters in the endzone.

the grab- note that Gronk is already leaning back toward the field, on his left leg with the right leg extended out, trying to stop
    the result: Gronk is ridden several yard away, with the ball falling right where he had been when the contact / mugging happened.

Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-19-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Yes, Vereen looked very sharp considering how long he has been out. He is a great receiving back. I'm glad I stashed him in fantasy several weeks ago. He could be a nice asset come playoff time. If he is still available in your fantasy league, pick him right now.

I turned the channel before seeing any replays, and really didn't care enough to try and find it, but WOW........ Hard to say that's uncatchable, when he could easily have broken towards the ball and made a play.

Pats got screwed.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yes, Vereen looked very sharp considering how long he has been out. He is a great receiving back. I'm glad I stashed him in fantasy several weeks ago. He could be a nice asset come playoff time. If he is still available in your fantasy league, pick him right now.
    Yessir roster twin.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Yessir roster twin.

He certainly helps make up for Beastmode's upcoming bye week.

I managed to pick up Chris Ivory after he ran all over NE, so he's helped, but I have to find someone as a flex that's going to give me more than 2-3pts. I've lost so many players to injury this year, I forget who I started out as my 2RB. Find out tomorrow if I managed to snag him.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    I was thinking more of the constant DPI in the 2003 AFC Championship Game. What goes around,
    I was thinking more of the game-changing DPI call in the 2006 AFC Championship Game that the replay official who was working the game said was 100% incorrect.

The link to the jaguars report that broke the story no longer works but several sites quote it, verbatim

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/2007/01/nfl-our-bad.html

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I turned the channel before seeing any replays, and really didn't care enough to try and find it, but WOW........ Hard to say that's uncatchable, when he could easily have broken towards the ball and made a play.

Pats got screwed.
    What about the Carolina player who intercepted the ball? Are we sure Gronkowski would have gotten the ball first?
    Look, the holding is clear and should have been a penalty. I am just trying to figure out why they picked up the flag.

EDIT:
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 35m
    Gist of Dean Blandino's explanation on ATL: Officials ruled that restriction to Gronk happened simultaneously to ball being picked

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reminder: The Patriots won three Super Bowls while cheating. Fact.

LOL, so now the NFL has backed off and changed the explanation, from it being

an uncatchable ball (an excuse that, while wrong, can at least be argued with a straight face)

to

a restriction of the receiver occurring nearly simultaneous with the interception.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-got-it-wrong/

Even the second pic above was taken much before the INT, and it was long after the bear hug started (first pic).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-got-it-wrong/

wow, just when I thought I was over this, the NFL has backed off and changed the story, from it being

an uncatchable ball (an excuse that, while wrong, can at least be argued with a straight face)

to

a restriction of the receiver occurring nearly simultaneous with the interception. Look at the pics again. or look at the gif. The bear hug and the INT are near-simultaneous? Geologically, I suppose otherwise, no.

What about the Carolina player who intercepted the ball? Are we sure Gronkowski would have gotten the ball first?
    Look, the holding is clear and should have been a penalty. I am just trying to figure out why they picked up the flag.

EDIT:
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 35m
    Gist of Dean Blandino's explanation on ATL: Officials ruled that restriction to Gronk happened simultaneously to ball being picked
    No, I'm not sure, but I'm not sure how anyone could be sure he couldn't. From that picture, the defender is what, 2-3 yards in front of Gronk? That's 6-9 feet, so it's only one or two steps that Gronk has to break towards the ball to just be even with the defender. Considering the ball is still in the air, while Gronk is being bear-hugged, I don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility that Gronk could get there.

The call isn't based on the probability of whether or not Gronk could, it's impossible to come up with that live. But the rule is about whether a play is possible, and it certainly is, even if it's not probable (which I'm still not sure about).

I know I'd be flipping livid if that happend to a Colts player. And what the Pats did in the past has zero to do with that call. "An eye for an eye, makes the whole world go blind"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know I'd be flipping livid if that happend to a Colts player. And what the Pats did in the past has zero to do with that call. "An eye for an eye, makes the whole world go blind"
    Well duh! Pretty obvious. Still though "you win some, you lose some" with bad (non) calls.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Sports Science analysis- the ball was well within Gronk's catch radius if the bear hug did not occur.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...me-ending-call

Well duh! Pretty obvious. Still though "you win some, you lose some" with bad (non) calls.
    To be honest, I think the worst part is the fact that they threw the flag and then picked it up. I get saying you just missed the call, but getting it right and then having a conference discussion and picking up the flag when it was right makes me pretty uneasy about what was actually said.

EDIT: There are two good things about this though, I hate the Pats so them being the losers is easier to deal with and eventhough Brady is my fantasy QB, I still managed to hang on for the dub without the extra 6-7 points that would have gotten me
    Last edited by Since86; 11-20-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2013 non-Colts thread

Good point. I want to go back 2 fixtures away when we had that rout St Louis served us at Indy.
    During the first half, pass thrown to Whalen, didn't catch it, flag thrown. Watching the replays you can clearly see there is PI and a very good and difficult from the umpire seeing it live. What happened next doesn't make sense. After 30 seconds, they picked up the flag saying there is no foul on the play. WTF? How could they be so sure there wasn't since someone saw it in the first place? Let alone the replays. Of course they didn't see those but we did.lol
    Last edited by Johanvil; 11-20-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've seen more unexplained "picked up" flags this year than I can ever remember, most of them inexplicable and missed the correct call.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

This is why DPI should be reviewable.