Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former pacer Kenny Williams sentenced to 9 months in prison

Default Former pacer Kenny Williams sentenced to 9 months in prison

I was hoping his biggest crime was the shot he took in the 1994 game #5 of the ECF in NY during the 4th quarter - the quarter Reggie scored 25 points.

http://www.indystar.com/viewart/20130821/SPORTS04/308210013/Former-Indiana-Pacers-forward-Kenny-Williams-sentenced-child-support-case

RALEIGH, N.C. — Former professional basketball player Kenny Williams has been sentenced to nine months in prison and ordered to pay more than $660,000 in restitution for failing to pay child support.
    The 44-year-old Williams was sentenced in federal court in Raleigh on Tuesday.

The U.S. Attorney’s office said Williams earned a salary playing for the NBA’s Indiana Pacers, played overseas and drove luxury cars while his former wife and three children were on welfare.

In August 2000, the Elizabeth City native pleaded guilty to willful failure to pay child support. In July 2001, his attorney filed a motion to continue a sentencing hearing after Williams claimed he couldn’t afford to travel to the U.S., although he was still in the country playing basketball.

Williams was arrested on a warrant last March.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Former pacer Kenny Williams sentenced to 9 months in prison

Someone looking just at the headline would think this is a fairly recent player, not one from almost 20 years ago. Does the Star headline editor HAVE to take the "let's word this to embarrass the Pacers" path every single time?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Well of course Bill. I mean here you have a player that was on the team for 4 years and at times could barely find time off the bench. Makes as much sense as Mike Tyson being a Hoosier because he spent a number of years in an Indiana prison.

Side note: I guess at least Williams didn't kill anybody so thats good. For all the oohs and ahhs for Gerald Green I would pick K. Williams and his leaping ability and power dunks anytime.
    Last edited by RWB; 08-21-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Someone looking just at the headline would think this is a fairly recent player, not one from almost 20 years ago. Does the Star headline editor HAVE to take the "let's word this to embarrass the Pacers" path every single time?
    That, and does it even warrant being in the paper at all? It isn't really a sports story, per se. At least as it relates to the current team.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

The fact that he played for the Pacers is the only reason it's relevant, and their job is to get people to read things.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    The fact that he played for the Pacers is the only reason it's relevant, and their job is to get people to read things.
    Problem is there's not much room before it gets to the "Pacer player in trouble? I already know about that, no reason to read it. Bunch of thugs. Where's today's Classic Peanuts?"
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Problem is there's not much room before it gets to the "Pacer player in trouble? I already know about that, no reason to read it. Bunch of thugs. Where's today's Classic Peanuts?"
    Who cares? Those people were never Pacers fans or customers and never will be, let em be idiots.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

and as of right now this article on Indystar.com is the most popular article on the site.

I knew - or at least strong suspected - this would be your response.

And this is the right answer to that:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Who cares? Those people were never Pacers fans or customers and never will be, let em be idiots.
    Bill, you spend way too much time tilting windmills. You reflexively react to an extreme argument or reaction that either (a) only exists in a small minority or (b) doesn't really exist at all. A lot of times, you are actually the one introducing your worst-case scenario, which seems like a relatively exhausting exercise in building strawmen.

As Heisenberg said, if people are going to use Kenny Williams' arrest to justify not coming to Pacers games or supporting the Pacers, then they weren't coming, anyway. What's the point of worrying about them?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The fact that Williams' team picture is in black and white pretty much sums up the relevance of the article. Pretty disgraceful by the Star.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Guess the Star had to re-hire the Pacer-hater editor. Must have been after Tully pulled that "$150 for a family of four to watch a game in the balcony, not counting food and parking" manure out of his backside.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I say this in all seriousness. Kenny Williams had the talent to be one of the better small forwards of his time. Not a superstar mind you but a star player. Sadly Kenny Williams had the work ethic and mental abilities of a player destined to have a short NBA career and spend a lot of time playing pro ball in Turkey and the likes.

RWB wasn't kidding, Kenny could thunder the dunks home with the best of them and I remember one night when he just caused Scottie Pippin to have night terrors about getting thundered on while being t-bagged.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Bills you got to let it go man.....

Remember the talk we had after the Roy vs. G.S. thing? This is a new Pacers team, new players and the fans and city have already made the turn around.

There is nothing non-factual that the star wrote here, as Count pointed out it is the editor's job to get people to read and linking Kenny's former position with the Pacers is relevant in the Indianapolis market.

If he played for the Utah Jazz I'm sure the Salt Lake City paper would list him as a former Jazz player. Nobody is out to get the Pacers here. Remember we built the house of cards (great show on netflix that everybody should watch btw) with a group of less than reputable players.

We now have built a very nice house on a rock solid foundation with a group of players that we all can be proud of.

Edit: Or what Count said in his later post, just mine was more loving.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I was hoping his biggest crime was the shot he took in the 1994 game #5 of the ECF in NY during the 4th quarter - the quarter Reggie scored 25 points.
    UB - That is just classic. When I was attending Pacers games at MSA in the early 90s, I used to go to bars in downtown after the game. Kenny Williams was there even before i could get out of traffic and get there. This guy had Shawn Kempesque hops and a good baseline jumper. Just wasted it all.
    User Thingfish said -

"Great season guys, it's a progression. 10-11 - first round vs Bulls, 11-12 - 2nd round vs Heat, 12-13 - ECF vs Heat, 13-14 - Finals with Danny Granger."

Why is this even news?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Count, Peck, I understand what you guys are saying, but bad PR is bad PR. It's frustrating enough when you have control over it because it is current. It's worse when you have no control.

Headline could have read "1990's Pacer Kenny Williams..." and meant the same thing without the smug hint that the Pacers players are up to something.
    BillS

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Bills you got to let it go man.....

Remember the talk we had after the Roy vs. G.S. thing? This is a new Pacers team, new players and the fans and city have already made the turn around.

There is nothing non-factual that the star wrote here, as Count pointed out it is the editor's job to get people to read and linking Kenny's former position with the Pacers is relevant in the Indianapolis market.

If he played for the Utah Jazz I'm sure the Salt Lake City paper would list him as a former Jazz player. Nobody is out to get the Pacers here. Remember we built the house of cards (great show on netflix that everybody should watch btw) with a group of less than reputable players.

We now have built a very nice house on a rock solid foundation with a group of players that we all can be proud of.

Edit: Or what Count said in his later post, just mine was more loving.
    I'd love to see an example from the other side of the coin, like a long forgotten Colts Special teamer from 20 years ago arrested for Murder.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I'd love to see an example from the other side of the coin, like a long forgotten Colts Special teamer from 20 years ago arrested for Murder.
    Not even murder, more like domestic violence, failure to pay child support, something like that.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

they run Art Schlicter stories every time he gets arrested again

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Yes but he is not long forgotten, not out the wood work type association with the team.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Yes but he is not long forgotten, not out the wood work type association with the team.
    Who the **** is Art Schlicter? I know who Kenny Williams is even though I have never seen him play, I do not know who that guy is.

Right, but both Schlicter and Jack Trudeau (which I also recall them reporting on) were NFL starting quarterbacks (or in the case of Art, a highly anticipated player ala Ryan Leaf), not special teams putzes. Plus Trudeau lives (lived?) in Indy which made his underage drinking thing more of a public interest story. Kenny Williams lives in North Carolina and has far as anyone knows hasn't set foot in Indiana in at least a decade.
    Last edited by idioteque; 08-21-2013 at 03:35 PM.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I knew - or at least strong suspected - this would be your response.

And this is the right answer to that:

Bill, you spend way too much time tilting windmills. You reflexively react to an extreme argument or reaction that either (a) only exists in a small minority or (b) doesn't really exist at all. A lot of times, you are actually the one introducing your worst-case scenario, which seems like a relatively exhausting exercise in building strawmen.

As Heisenberg said, if people are going to use Kenny Williams' arrest to justify not coming to Pacers games or supporting the Pacers, then they weren't coming, anyway. What's the point of worrying about them?
    BillS expressed a viewpoint that is still potentially valid for many people.

It is a shame that his post elicited such an accusatory response.

The reason to worry about the casual fans is the fact that in order to rebuild attendance on a consistent basis going forward the opinions of casual fans must continue to change for the positive. As UB pointed out, the story is the most read story on their site. Imagine how many people might see the link to the story, and WITHOUT clicking it, assume they know that it MUST be more evidence of how awful the franchise still is.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Right, but both Schlicter and Jack Trudeau (which I also recall them reporting on) were NFL starting quarterbacks (or in the case of Art, a highly anticipated player ala Ryan Leaf), not special teams putzes. Plus Trudeau lives (lived?) in Indy which made his underage drinking thing more of a public interest story. Kenny Williams lives in North Carolina and has far as anyone knows hasn't set foot in Indiana in at least a decade.
    Well okay can you name a Colts player that was the equivalent to Kenny W. that was overlooked?

If someone is dumb enough to attach the actions of Kenny Williams to the current Pacers, then I don't want them to come to games anyway.

People aren't stupid. They didn't stop going to games in the 2000's because The Star decided to print the legal troubles of a relatively obscure player from two decades ago. No, they stopped going to games because the team on the court was a collective bunch of unlikable players who repeatedly embarrassed the franchise, including a national incident in the brawl. People saw that the team was unlikable with their own eyes and didn't need a newspaper to tell them what to think. The team later got rid of the bad seeds, but replaced them with crappy basketball players who were coached by Jim O'Brien. People saw this with their own eyes as well.

Anyone who has been going to games can tell that the local interest has been growing immensely over the last couple of seasons. Down the stretch last year, the crowds were great, and then got even better as we played New York and Miami in the playoffs. I really do think that the New York series was the turning point in our fanbase. In 2012, we were a very good team, but the only team we eliminated in the playoffs was an Orlando team without Dwight Howard. Not exactly the epitome of excitement. But in 2013, we beat a very hyped New York team and got a ton of attention. You could feel the excitement in the fans. The Miami series was icing on the cake.

The fans will be here next season. An article about a relatively obscure player from 20 years ago isn't going to make a dent. Our on the court product speaks for itself, as it always has. We have a group of winners who are also very likable people that conduct themselves with professionalism and never embarrass the franchise.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: