Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: General 2013-14 NCAA athletics thread

Default Re: General 2013-14 NCAA athletics thread

I think we should do a PD Bracket Pool, ppl up for that?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you count on Kansas with Embiid out?
    I think having a guy like Wiggins will really prove its value in the tournament, he could all of a sudden have a Melo like tourney, and just take over every game and they win the title.

Every time I've seen Iowa State play on ESPN or whatever casually, I've been impressed by them.

I don't think anyone is ever truly confident in their picks, especially this year where there aren't really any dominant teams.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    The committee was not impressed by the American Athletic lol. Louisville a #4 seed? Kinda sucks not to see SMU get in.
    The tournament emphasized strong non-conference schedules. Besides UConn and Memphis, the AAC played exclusively horrible non-conference schedules. I think UConn, Memphis, and Temple were the only teams to play a non-conference in the top 290 on Kenpom.

If UCLA and VCU match up, UCLA will clobber them like Michigan did last year. UCLA is 11th in the country in turnover % according to Kenpom. A good point guard breaks down VCU's patented "Get Away with Constant Fouls" defense.

You knew it'd be the SEC. Hell, I don't blame em, good for Auburn. I think Pearl's a sleazeball but the majority of head coaches are. What he initially did wasn't bad, it was the lying that got him fired.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

You knew it'd be the SEC. Hell, I don't blame em, good for Auburn. I think Pearl's a sleazeball but the majority of head coaches are. What he initially did wasn't bad, it was the lying that got him fired.
    For a program like Auburn, that's about as good a hire as you can make. Aside from the Florida/Kentucky duo, the SEC is ripe for another semi-decent team. I'm not sure anyone in Auburn cares about basketball, but Pearl's energy is pretty infectious. Who knows.

I won't lie, I've internally debated whether I'd want Pearl to take Painter's place. A personality like him is exactly what the program needs, but then there's the other stuff.

I won't lie, I've internally debated whether I'd want Pearl to take Painter's place. A personality like him is exactly what the program needs, but then there's the other stuff.
    Yeah, IU fans have had many discussions about Pearl as well. Or at least me and a lot of my friends. Since I'm from Evansville, and grew up with Pearl winning and going to DII national title games at USI, he's understandably a popular figure, even after his Tennessee fiasco. We all generally agreed that IU couldn't hire another guy with baggage after the whole Sampson debacle, but he's a damn good coach.

I don't really care about the Aaron Craft cookout stuff, that's an ignorant rule, it's the **** he pulled at Iowa after losing a recruit to Illinois and trying to get the kid's eligibility revoked. I think he's a really good coach and his personality's incredibly infectious in a positive way. But, he's a dickhead. Purdue'd never consider it anyway, those stuffy mother****ers aren't anywhere near that forward thinking, they'll fire Painter and go hire Linc Darner or something.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I think we should do a PD Bracket Pool, ppl up for that?
    Sure.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am reading a book right now about Vadal Peterson and the 1940 Utah Utes. In 1944 they were invited to both the NIT and the NCAA. He let his playrrs vote which bid to accept. They choose the NIT because of MSG. They played Kentucky in the 1st rd got beat. Arkansas had a bid to the NCAA tournament but got in a crash on the wat to St Louis for the game. The NCAA needed a replacement and Utah became that team. Utah went on to win the NCAA tournament and just to make the story come full circle the final was held at MSG. That has to be one of the best basketball stories I have ever heard.

Mood

And to cap it off fot 3 years 1943-1945 the win of the NIT played the winner of the NCAA at the garden. Of course Utah won that game two days later. Team of destiny.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    It's an interesting list to say the least.

Here's just the list:

1. Tom Izzo, Michigan State (41 votes)
    2. John Beilein, Michigan (24 votes)
    3. Rick Pitino, Louisville (18 votes)
    4. Bill Self, Kansas (17 votes)
    5. Bob McKillop, Davidson (16)
    6. Stew Morill, Utah State (15)
    7. Mike Krzyzewski, Duke (13)
    8. Billy Donovan, Florida (12)
    9. Rick Byrd, Belmont (11)
    10. Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt (10)
    T11. Mike Montgomery, Cal. Fran Dunphy, Temple. (8)
    13. Bo Ryan, Wisconsin (7)
    T14. Tom Crean, Indiana. Buzz Williams, Marquette. (6)
    T16. John Calipari, Kentucky. Steve Donahue, Boston College. Mark Few, Gonzaga. (5)
    T19. John Thompson III, Georgetown. Mike Brey, Notre Dame. Jim Larranaga, Miami. Joe Scott, Denver. (4)
    T24. Tony Bennett, Virginia. Fred Hoiberg, Iowa State. (3)

I think Beilein and Self are too high.
    I didn't see this list at the start of the year(i stumbled upon it because I came back to my PC and hit refresh and it popped up). I am going to be a student manager for Belmont next season. Rick Byrd is a huge reason why. He can really coach. After attending many different teams practices and doing research on him and his staff. I really feel honored that they will let me learn as a student manager with them. Was the best teacher of the game that I saw on my search of trying to find a college to transfer to.

Stallings was another coach who I was really interested in. I also spoke to some teams whose coach's come from the Beilein tree. I think he is underrated Xs and Os wise he is probably the best out there IMO.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I didn't see this list at the start of the year(i stumbled upon it because I came back to my PC and hit refresh and it popped up). I am going to be a student manager for Belmont next season. Rick Byrd is a huge reason why. He can really coach. After attending many different teams practices and doing research on him and his staff. I really feel honored that they will let me learn as a student manager with them. Was the best teacher of the game that I saw on my search of trying to find a college to transfer to.

Stallings was another coach who I was really interested in. I also spoke to some teams whose coach's come from the Beilein tree. I think he is underrated Xs and Os wise he is probably the best out there IMO.

Awesome to get to be a student manager! I am sure you will do great at it. This is certainly a way to get your foot in the door to a coaching job down the line. Being a high school coach in South Carolina I go to the Nike coaching clinic every year and have heard lots of big names speak. To be honest the guy I have learned the most from is the head coach at Marshall. That dude really knows his stuff. From what I have found the off the grid coaches are extremely savvy with their x's and o's and much more willing to share than established coaches.

Buzz Williams left Marquette for Virginia Tech? wtf?

Buzz Williams left Marquette for Virginia Tech? wtf?
    Do not understand that at all.

Been reading rumors about a rift between him and the decision makers, I guess some players sexually assaulted a girl a few years ago and he tried to cover it up (I never heard about it but it's all over if you google it), and some stuff related to Vander Blue's leaving. I never really had an opinion on Williams other that he seemed like a pretty good coach, but if all that stuff's true I don't blame them. I don't care about bags of cash or giving kids cars and all that kind of stuff, they deserve it, but not about to endorse a coach that tries to hide disgusting criminality.

I wonder if Marquette's coaching change will cause Luke Fischer to feel homesick.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Mood

I get why he left, but leaving and going to VT lol. He was rumored in the Auburn job he clearly wanted out. I don't think Buzz got along with the new AD at Marquette.

He might have taken a put cut as well. 7/18m. He was one of the highest paid coaches in the nation at Marquette.

Comment about Fischer is really ignorant. Did you see who came in 2nd in his recruiting list? He was clearly homesick Wisconsin schools were really the only schools in play.

Apparently Jim Calhoun's pretty open to listening about the Boston College job

Yeah, and apparently Boston College isn't reciprocating the feeling

Ben Howland is apparently in the mix at Marquette. The new darling semi-mid-major coach is Archie Miller, head coach of THE University of Dayton Flyers. Coached under Matta, brother is having big success at Arizona, his team has won two impressive tournament games. Not difficult to understand. Marquette is interested in him, but honestly, the A-10 and new Big East are on about equal footing.

Mood

Yeah, and apparently Boston College isn't reciprocating the feeling

Ben Howland is apparently in the mix at Marquette. The new darling semi-mid-major coach is Archie Miller, head coach of THE University of Dayton Flyers. Coached under Matta, brother is having big success at Arizona, his team has won two impressive tournament games. Not difficult to understand. Marquette is interested in him, but honestly, the A-10 and new Big East are on about equal footing.
    While the conferences are equal the jobs are not. Marquette has always spent a **** ton of money. Duke is the only basketball team with a bigger basketball budget, and they paid Crean and Buzz top 10 salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    While the conferences are equal the jobs are not. Marquette has always spent a **** ton of money. Duke is the only basketball team with a bigger basketball budget, and they paid Crean and Buzz top 10 salaries.
    Where did you get that info from? I'd be interested to see what that list looks like.

Edit: Even still, the Archie Miller will be able to get a better job than Marquette.

Not sure how that rumor got started, but I'll just say..given the history..I doubt it.

two Illinois state senators are trying to get a second Illinois public school in the Big Ten. good luck, you idiots.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...-school-in-b1g

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: