Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: General 2013-14 NCAA athletics thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: General 2013-14 NCAA athletics thread

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Being able to advance the ball makes end of game situations a lot more enjoyable. I wish college did that too.
    I have an argument with my coach about this almost daily. It really lessens the importance of TOs I hate that rule. For some reason our coach likes it. I guess just old school.

If its any consolation, the worst coaching job in the B1G this season belongs to Fran McCaffery, and there isn't a close second.

I'd fire him tomorrow if I were the Iowa AD. He will never get that much talent to work with again, and he can't even field a respectable team.

Is Iowa even an NCAA tournament team at this point? At best, they're a #10 seed.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-14-2014 at 03:45 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Louisville beat Rutgers 92-31. Not a typo. I look forward to never having to be last in the Big Ten again.

Louisville is primed to make another big tournament run.

Adding Rutgers and Maryland was such an awful decision by the Big 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Louisville is primed to make another big tournament run.

Adding Rutgers and Maryland was such an awful decision by the Big 10.
    That's what everyone said about Nebraska three years ago....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    That's what everyone said about Nebraska three years ago....
    No, they didn't. Nebraska football is a huge moneymaker and a historic power. Some people may have preferred others, but Nebraska made at least some athletic sense.

Now, Maryland has a pretty decent basketball tradition, but Rutgers has been more or less pathetic for as long as I can remember. Sure, they had a few solid years under Schiano, but that's about it. I understand the business reasons for it, but as a sports fan of the conference it sucks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/-loser-...234217685.html

We should all be proud. Take a bow, alums of these 10 schools.

'Loser State': No programs from Indiana will be dancing in NCAA tournament
    Pat Forde By Pat Forde
    20 hours ago
    Yahoo Sports
    View gallery
    Indiana players Devin Davis (15), Jeremy Hollowell (33), and Austin Etherington (13) react on the bench as they …
    INDIANAPOLIS – The last stand of college basketball's Holy Land was brief and inglorious.

Here at the Big Ten tournament, the first two teams eliminated were Indiana and Purdue. The Hoosiers bogged down late and were beaten by Illinois, 64-54. The Boilermakers gave Ohio State all it could handle before falling, 63-61. Thus Elimination Thursday officially left the Hoosier State without a school whose name will be in the 68-team NCAA tournament bracket when it is unveiled Sunday.

From Fort Wayne to Evansville, there isn't even a bubble team to be found. Three days before Selection Sunday, the state is dismissed.

And that is a cultural disaster.

Nobody loves basketball more than the good people of Indiana. This is the state that gave us "Hoosiers." The home of John Wooden. The place where Bob Knight became a legend. And Larry Bird. The state where 41,000 people watched Damon Bailey win a state high school title. Hinkle Fieldhouse is here. UCLA's 88-game winning streak ended in Indiana. Butler's back-to-back miraculous Final Four appearances are the latest part of the lore.

Tom Crean talks to forward Troy Williams in the first half of Thursday's loss. (AP)
    And now? This year? When it comes to college hoops, Indiana might as well be Alaska.
    This is the first time since 2005 that the state and its 10 Division I programs failed to put a team in the Big Dance – and there are four more bids to be had now than then. But before that, Indiana hadn't been shut out since 1973 – when there were 25 teams in the NCAA field.

So from a purely numerical standpoint, you can argue that this is the lowest the state has ever been in college basketball.

After being ranked No. 1 for part of last season, winning the Big Ten and earning an NCAA No. 1 seed, Indiana has backslid drastically. This will be the fourth time in six seasons under Tom Crean that the Hoosiers miss the NCAA tourney – something that wasn't expected to happen again after Crean's resolute program rebuild got Indiana back on the map in 2011-12. But here the Hoosiers are, 17-15 and likely to get an NIT bid based more on brand name and fan base than anything this particular team has to offer.

[Get a chance at $1 billion: Register to play the Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge now!]

Asked postgame what the message is to his team, Crean paused. And thought. And paused some more. Nearly 30 seconds went by, and then he chose his words carefully.

"Bottom line is, we can play better," he said. "You have to match the toughness and the competitive spirit every time that you play. … Really what I want to do is try give a different way to say that message because I've given it a few times."

View gallery
    Boilermakers guard Terone Johnson misses a potential game-winning three pointer at the buzzer against Ohio State. …
    Purdue (15-17) was tied for last in the Big Ten this year. It was just the second time that's happened in the last 48 seasons. The other time was 2005-06, Matt Painter's first season at coach when he was rebuilding post-Gene Keady. The Boilermakers closed this year with 12 losses in their last 14 games, and now have consecutive losing seasons on their permanent record.
    "I told our guys I didn't doubt their efforts [during the year], and our last game of the season I did doubt their effort," Painter said. "I didn't think we played hard as a group. We had a couple of individuals play hard, but as I group I didn't think we played very hard."

If the effort wasn't all there from the Indiana and Purdue players, their lethargy was matched by the fans. They were sufficiently beaten down to provide almost no home-court advantage for their teams Thursday at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Illinois and Ohio State pretty much played on a neutral floor, with no discomfort brought on by the fans.

Apathy is never a good sign.

The good news for both Painter and Crean is that Brad Stevens is no longer looming in the wings. The guy who took Butler to those consecutive Final Fours – and thus became the fantasy hire for fans of Purdue, Indiana and virtually every other big-time program in America – skedaddled for the NBA and Boston Celtics last summer. Where, it must be said, he is losing games in bulk.

And now so is the program he left behind.

Butler's gradual ascendancy to unlikely power gave way to an instant collapse amid a perfect storm of difficult circumstances. Stevens left precisely when the Bulldogs were making a major move up in class, from the mid-major Horizon League to the Big East. Then to top it off, the team's best player – guard-forward Roosevelt Jones – was lost for the season before it started due to wrist surgery. That was just what rookie head coach Brandon Miller needed.

The result was predictably grim: a 14-17 record and ninth-place finish in the 10-team Big East. The Bulldogs lost on a last-second basket by Seton Hall in the first round of the league tourney – their eighth loss by six points or fewer.

Butler wasn't the only Hoosier State team to struggle with conference transition and player losses. Notre Dame moved into the ACC, had Jerian Grant ruled ineligible and saw Cameron Biedscheid transfer. The Fighting Irish went 15-17 and were bounced in the first round of the ACC tournament by similarly woeful Wake forest.

View gallery
    It was that type of year for Brandon Miller and Butler. (USA TODAY Sports)
    On the mid-major level, Indiana State and Evansville were punched out by Goliath Wichita State in the Missouri Valley Conference. Ball State (5-25) was dismissed in the first round of the Mid-American Conference tourney. Valparaiso lost in the Horizon League semifinals to Milwaukee. And there was Hoosier-on-Hoosier crime in the Summit League, where IPFW eliminated IUPUI 84-57.
    The dire status of the state was exemplified by the fact that IPFW – which went Division I in 2001 – became the last legitimate NCAA hope. Alas, it could not hold a late lead in the Summit final and lost to North Dakota State, 60-57.

When a newbie program nicknamed the Mastodons is the standard bearer for the state of Indiana, you know the season went off the rails.

In this moment of doubt and pain, there is only one place for the hoops Holy Land to turn: Hoosier Hysteria. The state high school tournament regionals are Saturday.

That will be the only meaningful basketball played in the sad state of Indiana this weekend.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/-loser-...234217685.html

We should all be proud. Take a bow, alums of these 10 schools.
    State Regionals tomorrow morning should be good. I think I am going to head to Southport.

I agree about Louisville they might be a better team this year with the way Russ and Harrell are playing.

nice job Cuse

How did all 4 of the major conference Indiana schools end up with these coaches? All four schools deserve better than Crean, Painter, Miller, and Brey.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    How did all 4 of the major conference Indiana schools end up with these coaches? All four schools deserve better than Crean, Painter, Miller, and Brey.
    Just out of curiosity, what is your major beef with Miller? I thought he did fine.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is your major beef with Miller? I thought he did fine.
    His rotations were awful. He didn't use the bench enough, especially in the 2nd half. We faded at the end of halves because he refused to use Nolan Berry, Devontae Morgan, and other bench players who did well when they were in.

He had no idea what he was doing with timeouts. He let us get out of control and lets runs happen. He's pretty much always flustered.

I am concerned about the suspensions that have happened. They happened under Stevens, but we had a lot of players have to be away from the team at some point. Elijah Brown, Devontae Morgan, Rene Castro (later transferred), Kam Woods, and Roosevelt Jones all got suspended at some point in the season. That's not entirely on the head coach, and I am biased as I know the upperclassmen on the team and like them personally, but it is concerning when they suddenly get suspended. I would also couple it with the extreme lack of effort at times from guys like Khyle Marshall and Kam Woods.

His recruiting has been subpar and has not gone after any point guards. I was especially frustrated by not offering PJ Thompson after he elevated his game this year.

Our offensive gameplan was horrendous. It consisted of Dunham handling the ball, and that's about it. I know we had a lack of talent, but we needed to get better shots, especially in the midrange.

We lost too many close games. Last year we beat IU and Gonzaga in tight games due to some great gameplans, but this year we blew leads, had no idea what to do when the clock was running down, and we made brutal turnovers and mistakes at the end of games.

It's not very fair to compare a head coach in his first year to Brad Stevens. Brad Stevens belongs in the Hall of Fame for turning a Horizon League team into a Big East team in a short amount of times while taking a school of 4,000 to two championship game appearances, but I expected more from Miller. I am very concerned about the point guard position next year after Castro transferred. I think Nolan Berry did not get enough time to get used to Big East play since he will be a big part of the rotation next year presumably, and we did not improve as the year went on. As a matter of fact, we got worse. For the Big East, I wanted a head coach with experience. Brandon Miller's complete lack of head coaching experience and ability was glaring all year, and I am afraid it will not improve quickly enough to keep Butler relevant.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Butler may get a PG if Ronnie Johnson transfers there. Of course, that doesn't help next year.

Oh wow I didn't see Ronnie Johnson might transfer. That would be great for 2015-2016, which really should be a great year for Butler, and the year where we will need a new starting PG.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    I am concerned about the suspensions that have happened. They happened under Stevens, but we had a lot of players have to be away from the team at some point. Elijah Brown, Devontae Morgan, Rene Castro (later transferred), Kam Woods, and Roosevelt Jones all got suspended at some point in the season. That's not entirely on the head coach, and I am biased as I know the upperclassmen on the team and like them personally, but it is concerning when they suddenly get suspended. I would also couple it with the extreme lack of effort at times from guys like Khyle Marshall and Kam Woods.
    I don't know about the other guys but Roosevelt Jones' suspension was absolutely warranted.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I don't know about the other guys but Roosevelt Jones' suspension was absolutely warranted.
    What did he do.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    What did he do.
    DUI
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    DUI
    Oh that's it? Three game suspension is par for the course, just ask Tom Crean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    If its any consolation, the worst coaching job in the B1G this season belongs to Fran McCaffery, and there isn't a close second.

I'd fire him tomorrow if I were the Iowa AD. He will never get that much talent to work with again, and he can't even field a respectable team.

Is Iowa even an NCAA tournament team at this point? At best, they're a #10 seed.
    If it were my call I would leave Iowa out. They slumped really badly at the end.

It's not that they weren't warranted. Kam definitely deserved to be away from the team because of the allegations, but just the fact that players who behaved fine under Stevens are doing dumb things under Miller. It's concerning that players are acting out without Stevens there.

Ronnie Johnson's officially transferring

Mood

pretty funny if both Alford and Neal win a conference tournament in their first years after the move to UCLA.

Mood

**** Kendall Williams is cold blooded. He made that shot from Reno That was ridiculously deep.

Randy Rahe looks like he is going to get Weber St to the dance. Tournament basketball is crazy. Can't get to the dance with Damian Lillard, but no problem with this group ( I will say Davion Berry is really good but he is no Lillard). I love his Xs and Os runs so much NBA stuff. He shouldn't be at Weber St long he should move up. He has had 2 great years after Lillard.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-15-2014 at 07:30 PM.

I really hope they give Louisville a seed higher than 4..just for the sake of the 3rd, 2nd and 1st team in their bracket..

Proud Uconn kept it under 20....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I really hope they give Louisville a seed higher than 4..just for the sake of the 3rd, 2nd and 1st team in their bracket..

Proud Uconn kept it under 20....
    They should be a #1 best team in america right now IMO. Screw what bracktology says they are clearly one of the 4 best teams right now. I agree with Pitino though doesn't really matter. Going to have to play great basketball regardless. Their defense is beyond elite so fun to watch.

Providence won the Big East. That may not end up being a bid thief but it almost certainly pushes another team into a play-in game.