Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Luck!!!!

Default Re: Andrew Luck!!!!

It's clear that Luck is a superior athlete to Manning. But to assume work ethic, leadership, decision making, intelligence, grasp of NFL defenses, and grasp of calling plays is just a "Push"... that's a bit of a stretch. How would you know who worked harder going into year 2? How would you know who is more intelligent? How would you know who was better at reading a defense or calling plays? And by you, I mean anyone that didn't have a direct involvement with both of them entering year 2.

Nothing you said is necessarily *wrong*. But the way you chart it out it just seems like fluff intending to support Luck.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Luck is a better leader. Peyton threw his O-line under the bus after the 05 loss to Pittsburgh. Luck would NEVER criticize his own teammates. Luck is accountable whenever he makes mistakes, whereas Manning always had excuses
    David "And One" West

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's clear that Luck is a superior athlete to Manning. But to assume work ethic, leadership, decision making, intelligence, grasp of NFL defenses, and grasp of calling plays is just a "Push"... that's a bit of a stretch. How would you know who worked harder going into year 2? How would you know who is more intelligent? How would you know who was better at reading a defense or calling plays? And by you, I mean anyone that didn't have a direct involvement with both of them entering year 2.

Nothing you said is necessarily *wrong*. But the way you chart it out it just seems like fluff intending to support Luck.
    Umm.... Observation and reading? I didn't make these things up, lol.... And believe it or not, I've done a ton of reading, and not just on BleacherReport. I've purchased books on Manning and Luck. They're good reads. The same things I'm reading about Luck were what I read about Manning in regards to work ethic and leadership in the locker-room. Isn't that all we ever had to go on in regards to Manning's leadership? We read it somewhere? It's not like there's some scientific score posted out there on the internet titled, "NFL Leadership Rankings as Compiled by 100 NFL Scouts". As for reading NFL defenses and calling plays --- I follow the team. I remember Manning didn't really start calling his own shots until game 1 of his third season. I also know that Luck was running his offense back at Stanford, and ran the Colts offense at many points last year and could've ran it more had his own offensive teammates had the offense down better. As for intelligence ---- there's a number of factors here. 1) Stanford is no mouse in the arena of universities. Luck could walk out of football right now and design football stadiums --- 3.48 GPA and full architecture degree at Stanford. Luck scored a 37 on the wonderlic; Manning scored a 28. They both have been observed by those around them as having an extraordinary capacity to store and almost instantly recall and process information. He's no dummy. It's not fluff, I'm not making it up, and I'm not inventing it. This is Luck, man.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

There are books on Luck?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I provided a link for you?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I see two links. One about Luck running the offense at Stanford, and the other about Stanford's academics, but not a link to a book about Andrew.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I see two links. One about Luck running the offense at Stanford, and the other about Stanford's academics, but not a link to a book about Andrew.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...%3Aandrew+luck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'm geniunely interested here, not trying to be a dick.

Judging a book by it's cover, and page count, not sure if I would really think they'd be worth the couple dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I'm geniunely interested here, not trying to be a dick.

Judging a book by it's cover, and page count, not sure if I would really think they'd be worth the couple dollars.

Yeah, none of those look like they are going to be at the top of the NYT best seller list anytime soon. I doubt that there is anything in those that can't be found online, but maybe KidMinny can tell us since he has read them.

For that matter, is there any really good book on Peyton? By that I mean something with some sort of inside access. I've never read a book about him. I would just always read the solid articles from ESPN, Sports Illustrated, The Star (at times), etc.

When I think of a great sports bio, I think of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Journe...keywords=Jeter

O'Connor worked his tail off in interviewing inside people for this book. OTOH, those Luck books look like they'd be filled with the sort of generic info that could be found in random online articles. But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Luck is a better leader. Peyton threw his O-line under the bus after the 05 loss to Pittsburgh. Luck would NEVER criticize his own teammates. Luck is accountable whenever he makes mistakes, whereas Manning always had excuses

His head shaking and pouting after a bad play or interception used to drive me crazy. Not the kind of body language and attitude you want to see from the leader of your team. Luck has a look like "I'll kill it next possession" while Manning was the opposite. I used to yell at the TV....."get your head up Manning". The main reason I was never all that confident going into big playoff games with Manning at the helm.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've read a few on Manning, but they were awhile ago. http://www.amazon.com/Manning-Peyton...peyton+manning was a good read. Without reviewing it at all, if I remember correctly I'm fairly certain it has stories from Peyton and Archie themselves. The book was more of a first-hand telling from the Mannings themselves, talks about growing up and going through grade school, then high school and college and the draft process and growing up in the household. I want to say it was published very early in Manning's career, so it leaves off before the meat of his prime, but it's still a good read in terms of getting to know his personality and mindset, and where he came from. Regarding Luck, his books are so cheap that you can pretty much buy them all. Most are $2.99 on amazon. I read http://www.amazon.com/Andrew-Luck-In...ds=andrew+luck which I thought was better than the 2 star rating it has. Unlike the Manning book, which is a lot of first-hand stories from the Mannings themselves... this book is more of an outside look in on Luck, getting peripheral stories from insiders, mostly because Luck himself is pretty private. It's not Mark Twain by any means, and a lot of it might be already understood, but I thought it did a decent job of giving a background on Luck, and telling little antedotes about him from those close to him. Gives you a good idea of his personality. He's really a very simple, humble dude, doesn't party, hangs out with family, lives a relatively simple life with simple devices. I think as you read it, you'll recognize things he did back then are exactly what he does now --- puts on a superhuman performance, and then downplays his own contributions while hoisting up his teammates efforts. He never brags, he never talks ****, he *always* defers compliments to his teammates. It's a short book and a fast read, so it doesn't bore you to death with pages of fluff, it's just a bunch of quick-hitting short stories. Both books (Manning and Luck) are potty-material. They're not works of literature that are cherished and admired, examined and dissected and studied for decades afterwards by the scholars and literature majors of the world. It's football stuff, it's simple, it's testosterone and man-cave material.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-27-2013 at 09:26 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Okay, warning, rant incoming.

Wow, people are bad mouthing Manning? The guy basically built Indianapolis into a football town over 14 years. We're going to hold one time mentioning the pass protection was bad (and it was against the Steelers) and him being visibly angry after a bad play against years and years of incredible production, late game heroics, a flippin super bowl, and being pretty much recognized as the ultimate class act by everyone he's ever played with? Not even close.

The 'not clutch' label is ridiculous. We're talking about the NFL's all time leader in 4th Quarter comebacks.

The Colts are incredibly blessed to have a player like Luck to follow up Manning. Maybe he'll prove to be better, that's great. But when Manning came the Indianapolis Colts were known primarily for the Mayflower Vans, and being terrible aside from one brief run with Jim Harbaugh. Now the Colts are know as year in and year out one of the best franchises in the league. And that change started with Manning.

Let me add again, on topic, that Luck is incredible. Minus him, I'm not sure that talent wise we weren't worse than the 2-14 team from the previous year. Just remarkable what one QB can do.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think people are dissing on what Manning did for this franchise. I think they're just making some pretty valid observations on his actual game. I love the man, he was my favorite player of all time, and still is tied for that "honor". But I won't deny that despite the mastery he achieved of this game, he had his weaknesses. He never really lost the happy feet. His body language could be pretty bad. He never had the biggest arm in the world. He was never the most athletic QB. He did have his moments with the team, a few bad pressers where he threw the O-line under a bus. I knew all t hose things even as he was dominating the league, because his few strengths were so amazingly strong, it mostly covered up his weaknesses. His mind was out of this world. His release-time was absurd. His placement was impeccable. Those three strengths basically catapulted him to be one of the greatest of all time in terms of pure accomplishments. I think that was what was so endearing about him... he was human, he wasn't perfect, he was average in a lot of areas, but he was exceptional in a handful of things, and he did a good job of limiting his weaknesses. And yes, he did become clutch.... later on. My chart comparison was in the first few years. He didn't perform too well in the clutch in the first few years. It's hard to say Manning stacked up to Luck in that first year. Luck had 9 comeback wins.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-28-2013 at 11:19 AM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Manning now has a total of 8 one and dones in the playoffs. It's mind boggling that the one of the greatest QB's of all time can have that kind of playoff record. While we know he hasn't been as bad as the public perception, unfortunately that might be his legacy if he doesn't win another one. I feel the pressure is on him big time right now. Another one and done this year would be disastrous. For most of the public(and media somewhat) that won't dig a little deeper and find out How he lost those games, the one and done label is what sticks out. When you are the high profile QB you will get most of the blame. It comes with the territory.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Manning now has a total of 8 one and dones in the playoffs. It's mind boggling that the one of the greatest QB's of all time can have that kind of playoff record. While we know he hasn't been as bad as the public perception, unfortunately that might be his legacy if he doesn't win another one. I feel the pressure is on him big time right now. Another one and done this year would be disastrous. For most of the public(and media somewhat) that won't dig a little deeper and find out How he lost those games, the one and done label is what sticks out. When you are the high profile QB you will get most of the blame. It comes with the territory.
    And while he didn't play terrible in many of those games, it's not as if he necessary played great either.

He's just never completely kicked it into that extra gear in the playoffs. I'm not going to lie, when I saw some of the throws that Eli was making against the Packers, 49ers, and Pats in the playoffs two years ago, I thought to myself that it would have been nice to see Peyton throw it like that more often against such elite playoff competition. Eli was just spectacular two years ago. That being said, Peyton is still the better QB because in other seasons, Eli can't even play good enough to get his team in the playoffs. But the cat certainly shines when the lights are brightest, that's for sure.

Peyton is easily a top 10 all time quarterback, but the playoffs prevent him from being at the very top.

I agree that the pressure is sky high this year. This could potentially be one of the weakest AFC's that Peyton has ever seen. The Pats will still be in the mix, but odds are that this won't be the best team that they've put out over the last decade. Plus Manning's team took their best receiver. The Ravens lost virtually every notable starter except for Flacco and Rice, while the Steelers are old. I'm still not sold on the Bengals or the Texans, and the Colts may still be another year away.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-28-2013 at 02:40 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Manning now has a total of 8 one and dones in the playoffs. It's mind boggling that the one of the greatest QB's of all time can have that kind of playoff record.
    Do you know how remarkable that is? Just getting to that many different playoff season would put him in elite company. Do you know how many other quarterbacks were able to go the playoffs 8 or more times? Just 7.

If the Broncos make the playoffs this year, which barring an injury to Manning, seems like a mortal lock, he'll have led his team to more postseasons than any quarterback in history.

Peyton Manning - 12 postseasons (1 Super Bowl win)
    Brett Favre - 12 postseasons (1 Super Bowl win)
    Joe Montana - 11 postseasons (4 Super Bowl wins)
    Tom Brady - 10 postseasons (3 Super Bowl wins)
    Dan Marino - 10 postseasons (0 Super Bowl wins)
    Terry Bradshaw - 9 postseasons (4 Super Bowl wins
    John Elway - 9 postseasons (2 Super Bowl wins)
    Jim Kelley - 8 postseasons (0 Super Bowl wins)

Is Dan Marino not one of the greatest QB's of all-time because he has an imperfect playoff record or is he one the greatest of all-time because he was able to take his team into the playoffs so often? I'd say the latter.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 08-28-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    If the Broncos make the playoffs this year, which barring an injury to Manning, seems like a mortal lock, he'll have led his team to more postseasons than any quarterback in history.
    Do they make a ring for that ??

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Do they make a ring for that ??
    This is the same dumbass argument that had people saying Kobe Bryant was a better basketball player than Lebron James as recently as 2012.

-Lance Stephenson

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Do you know how remarkable that is? Just getting to that many different playoff season would put him in elite company. Do you know how many other quarterbacks were able to go the playoffs 8 or more times? Just 7.

Peyton Manning - 12 postseasons (1 Super Bowl win)
    Brett Favre - 12 postseasons (1 Super Bowl win)
    Joe Montana - 11 postseasons (4 Super Bowl wins)
    Tom Brady - 10 postseasons (3 Super Bowl wins)
    Dan Marino - 10 postseasons (0 Super Bowl wins)
    Terry Bradshaw - 9 postseasons (4 Super Bowl wins
    John Elway - 9 postseasons (2 Super Bowl wins)
    Jim Kelley - 8 postseasons (0 Super Bowl wins)

Right, and it's why one could say that he's easily the best regular season QB of all time. A Peyton one and done is better than Eli not making the playoffs at all last year, which obviously did nothing to his playoff W-L record. So even though Eli has one more ring than Peyton, Peyton is still the way better all-time player because he plays at an elite level every single season and always has his team in the playoffs. You don't see Peyton miss the playoffs after starting out 6-2 like Eli did last year.

That being said, the playoffs are what you use to differentiate between players who have almost identical regular season success. As your list shows, Brady and Manning have both been almost identical in the regular season (Manning has two more playoff appearances since he has played longer; both have lost an entire season to injury). Thus, you have to go to the playoffs to differentiate between these two guys. Brady has won three Super Bowls to Manning's one. Brady has played in five Super Bowls to Manning's two. Brady has played in seven AFC Championship games to Manning's three. Brady has two playoff one and dones to Manning's eight.

Are those discrepancies 100% because of the two quarterbacks? Of course not. But they have to mean something, right? It's enough to tilt the debate in Brady's favor. As a Colts and Manning fan, I hate it, but it is what it is. If Manning won the Super Bowl this season, then obviously such a major win at the end of his career would be a major feather in his cap and would change the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Are those discrepancies 100% because of the two quarterbacks? Of course not. But they have to mean something, right? It's enough to tilt the debate in Brady's favor.
    Not really. If you put Brady on the Colts (and Broncos) all of those season and Manning on the Patriots, I would argue that the Colts would be less successful and the Patriots would be more. Team success determining an individual's greatness is asinine in my opinion.

All three of Brady's title were won before he was the team's focal point.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 08-28-2013 at 04:28 PM.

-Lance Stephenson

Not really. If you put Brady on the Colts (and Broncos) all of those season and Manning on the Patriots, I would argue that the Colts would be less successful and the Patriots would be more. Team success determining an individual's greatness is asinine in my opinion.

All three of Brady's title were won before he was the team's focal point.
    But don't we use team success when we're trumpeting all of Manning's regular season successes? It's always seemed a bit bizarre to me that we're all of the sudden supposed to ignore team successes in the playoffs just because it might not reflect favorably on Manning.

It's just hard for me to understand that two more championships for Brady, three more Super Bowl appearances, four more AFC Championship game appearances, and six less one and dones is all supposed to be disregarded. That discrepancy obviously isn't 100% because of the quarterbacks, but it has to account for something. I just don't think that you can disregard such important facts just because they aren't favorable for Manning. The whole "if you switched both of them, then x would have been more successful while x wouldn't have been as successful" argument has always seemed a bit of a forced reach, IMHO. Since Brady has become the "focal point", his team has still made two Super Bowls, which is as many as Manning has made in his career. And in New England's second Super Bowl win, Brady did throw the ball 48 times. It's not as if he was just some system quarterback who wasn't allowed to throw much.

This is the same dumbass argument that had people saying Kobe Bryant was a better basketball player than Lebron James as recently as 2012.
    Er for some people I think Kobe was a better player than LeBron and it wasn't about rings I find Kobe to be a more complete player..

LeBron is a better athlete though.

But don't we use team success when we're trumpeting all of Manning's regular season successes? It's always seemed a bit bizarre to me that we're all of the sudden supposed to ignore team successes in the playoffs just because it might not reflect favorably on Manning.

It's just hard for me to understand that two more championships for Brady, three more Super Bowl appearances, four more AFC Championship game appearances, and six less one and dones is all supposed to be disregarded. That discrepancy obviously isn't 100% because of the quarterbacks, but it has to account for something. I just don't think that you can disregard such important facts just because they aren't favorable for Manning. The whole "if you switched both of them, then x would have been more successful while x wouldn't have been as successful" argument has always seemed a bit of a forced reach, IMHO. Since Brady has become the "focal point", his team has still made two Super Bowls, which is as many as Manning has made in his career. And in New England's second Super Bowl win, Brady did throw the ball 48 times. It's not as if he was just some system quarterback who wasn't allowed to throw much.
    And neither QB won a ring without Adam Vinateri either... you can make so many arguments here... there are so many factors that are involved in winning championships.. I do think Brady gets a bit of a pass though because he won 3 rings early in his career. I mean I thought he played worse than Manning against the Ravens in the playoffs and not nearly as much grief either.

I love Peyton but in a big game I would take Brady every time. Like I said before, even body language tells a big story. Brady almost always looks confident where Manning a lot of times just doesn't in pressure games. Anybody who says they haven't noticed this is kidding themselves IMO.

It's just hard for me to understand that two more championships for Brady, three more Super Bowl appearances, four more AFC Championship game appearances, and six less one and dones is all supposed to be disregarded. That discrepancy obviously isn't 100% because of the quarterbacks, but it has to account for something. I just don't think that you can disregard such important facts just because they aren't favorable for Manning.
    They don't need to be disregarded, but they need to be less emphasized. It is a tad bit silly when comparing two individuals to compare their teams. Unless someone is ready to argue that Trent Dilfer was better than Dan Marino.

The real ironic part of this decade old argument is how the criticism used to be "Peyton needs to get a ring" and now it's morphed into "Peyton doesn't have enough rings." No one will ever convince me that TB is a better QB than Peyton. He might have more SB rings, and he might have a better looking wife, but I reject placing the most emphasis on team success when talking about individual talent.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: