Thread: Wyche: NFL tried to stop no-huddle in '80s

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Wyche: NFL tried to stop no-huddle in '80s

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/97...o-huddle-1980s

Wyche said the league had previously informed then-Bengals owner Paul Brown and NBC, which was televising the game, of its plans. Wyche was to be one of the last to know, but one of NBC's commentators, who Wyche said was a former teammate of his but didn't identify by name, informed him that the NFL wanted to end the no-huddle, so he was prepared when he got Rozelle's message.

"I immediately told the NFL delegate along with the referee who was in the office there with me and [now-Bengals owner] Mike Brown, I said 'Go get Pete Rozelle on the phone right now because I want to tell him that he's interfering with the competitive balance of this game, and if we get penalized and lose this ballgame, the first thing I'm bringing up in the press conference is this conversation and there are a lot of gamblers out there who aren't going to be very happy.'

"It wasn't 20 seconds before he came back, he left the room and came back, I'm not exaggerating, I bet it wasn't 20 seconds. 'Uh, commissioner says go ahead and use the no-huddle, no problem,'" Wyche said.

The Bengals won the AFC title game 21-10 to reach Super Bowl XXIII, where they lost to theSan Francisco 49ers 20-16.

It may be wrong, but I could not stop laughing at that gambling line when I read this story

Default Re: Wyche: NFL tried to stop no-huddle in '80s

There has to be more to that story....
    How could the NFL decide to ban the no huddle for the AFC championship game after allowing it all season?
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: