Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Luck!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Andrew Luck!!!!

This guy is amazing!! In only his second year, he has established himself as an elite QB. Luck already got his former OC Bruce Arians a head coaching job as a rookie!! I am expecting BIG things this year. Don't be surprised if #12 wins the MVP. Luck is the BEST draft pick in any sport since Lebron James
    David "And One" West

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Andrew Luck!!!!

I am expecting big things as well but he has to stay healthy. Our O-line is still as big a question mark as ever. Luck would probably be scary with a little more time to operate.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This guy is amazing!! In only his second year, he has established himself as an elite QB. Luck already got his former OC Bruce Arians a head coaching job as a rookie!! I am expecting BIG things this year. Don't be surprised if #12 wins the MVP. Luck is the BEST draft pick in any sport since Lebron James
    yes

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I am expecting big things as well but he has to stay healthy. Our O-line is still as big a question mark as ever. Luck would probably be scary with a little more time to operate.
    He's already scary. If he had time to throw he'd be positively terrifying.

Somehow I got Luck in the 4th or 5th round of our fantasy draft Saturday night.

Hoping for another great season for him!

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post

You got a steal drafting your starting QB that late!! Luck will put up first round fantasy points
    David "And One" West

I am sorry he is not on the elite level with guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Manning. I think he will be in a year or two, but he is not on their level yet.

Luck is truly a blessing though and I think many Colts fans are taking for granted that we got to go from Manning to Luck. Most franchises just fall flat on their face after moving on from a HOF QB like we did. I still do not believe that we did not tank for Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    I am sorry he is not on the elite level with guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Manning. I think he will be in a year or two, but he is not on their level yet.

Luck is truly a blessing though and I think many Colts fans are taking for granted that we got to go from Manning to Luck. Most franchises just fall flat on their face after moving on from a HOF QB like we did. I still do not believe that we did not tank for Luck.

I agree that we definitely tanked for him. Job well done by the Colts as it appears to have been a very smart strategic move. But you don't start Curtis Painter for as long as we did if you're honestly trying hard to win games. He would have been yanked weeks earlier if we were trying hard to win.

I agree though about our fortune. We sure are a lucky franchise, that's for sure. I bet that the other three teams in our division absolutely detest our good fortune. They probably thought for a long time that we'd come crashing back to earth once Manning hung it up, but now it looks like we have another stud on our hands. Meanwhile, teams like the Titans and Jaguars have been wallowing in squalor for years now. It's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I agree that we definitely tanked for him.
    Absolutely.

And though Jimmy at times can do some really stupid stuff, I'm sure it was his word that made it happen. It's a business. And FWTFIW, he doesn't let personal stuff get in the way of business. Great business decision. 2, 3 more years of Manning @ $20+ million a season or a career from Luck that has the 1st 4 (5 ?) years on a rookie scale contract ?? Take emotion out of it and it was a simple choice.

Oh yes, Luck is just as good as those guys TODAY. He is an elite QB, plain and simple. You can wait for the end of the season to rank him with the Bradys and the Mannings, but I WILL NOT WAIT THAT LONG. From what I have seen with my own eyes, Luck is there RIGHT NOW!!!
    David "And One" West

I'm not putting him in the elite level just yet in a couple years or so sure but he needs to show it. Plus anything can happen I mean people seem to forget we were fortunate Manning was durable for his career here in Indy until he wasn't and then he was put out to pasture.

I don't think the Colts tanked for him I mean sure its a nice story but people seem to forget that Caldwell sucked as a Head Coach I'm sure as an OC/QB coach he was fine but he couldn't adjust as an HC and it was glaring.

I really think the Colts were that bad without a great QB to cover up a lot of the mistakes I mean in the playoffs we were always exposed..

Besides how are you going to get players who don't give a crap about the Colts future beyond their careers to go along with it? That's what keeps me from believing that urban legend.

This thread was not meant to be a discussion on whether or not the Colts tanked in order to draft Luck. This is a thread to hype up our superstar, currently elite QB!!! Luck isn't a QB where we will have to wait a few years for him to develop. Patience does not apply in this rare case of an over-hyped prospect that somehow EXCEEDED expectations as a rookie. You could have made a very convincing argument that Luck was last seasons MVP.
    David "And One" West

I drafted mid July..... got Luck in 6th and Hilton in 8th.

This thread was not meant to be a discussion on whether or not the Colts tanked in order to draft Luck. This is a thread to hype up our superstar, currently elite QB!!! Luck isn't a QB where we will have to wait a few years for him to develop. Patience does not apply in this rare case of an over-hyped prospect that somehow EXCEEDED expectations as a rookie. You could have made a very convincing argument that Luck was last seasons MVP.

Well you titled it "Andrew Luck" I figured it was going to be an open discussion about him.. sure he could've been MVP but you could also say the same for a lot of other players last year. Sure Luck appears ready now but a lot of rookies appeared ready in their first season.. like Cam Newton then he had a sophomore slump.

You never know what the future holds besides we have to hope Luck is healthy I don't trust the O-Line as is to protect him at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I'm not putting him in the elite level just yet in a couple years or so sure but he needs to show it. Plus anything can happen I mean people seem to forget we were fortunate Manning was durable for his career here in Indy until he wasn't and then he was put out to pasture.

I don't think the Colts tanked for him I mean sure its a nice story but people seem to forget that Caldwell sucked as a Head Coach I'm sure as an OC/QB coach he was fine but he couldn't adjust as an HC and it was glaring.

I really think the Colts were that bad without a great QB to cover up a lot of the mistakes I mean in the playoffs we were always exposed..

Besides how are you going to get players who don't give a crap about the Colts future beyond their careers to go along with it? That's what keeps me from believing that urban legend.

Oh I don't think we were actually telling players to throw games or anything like that. That would have been a very audacious thing to do. I'm just saying that we weren't going out of our way to try and win games. Painter should have been yanked after that beat down in New Orleans in Game 7. Heck, we got bulldozed at home in week 9 against Atlanta, yet he still got two more starts. If we were really trying hard to win games, then we would have yanked Painter earlier for Dan O. Also, we didn't make any waiver claims even though we had top priority, nor did we try to sign any free agents. Our (in)actions show that we were very content with losing so that it would pay off in future seasons. It appears to be a brilliant move right now, and I certainly have no trouble at all with them throwing away the 2011 season once it became clear that we weren't competing for anything without Manning. It was the smart decision for the long term viability of the franchise.

By no means do I think that Irsay and Polian were actually telling the players to throw the game. NFL players wouldn't stoop that low because like you said, a lot of them really don't give a crap about our future since they aren't on the team for a long time. But we clearly weren't trying hard to create a culture of winning that season. We competed early on against the likes of Cleveland, Pitt, Tampa, and Kansas City, but we couldn't get any wins. At that point, we seemed to accept that the season was completely lost without Manning. We understood rather quickly that we had a great shot at Andrew Luck, which is why weren't yanking Curtis Painter, even though he was repeatedly getting embarrassed by the likes of New Orleans, Atlanta, and Jacksonville.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    I drafted mid July..... got Luck in 6th and Hilton in 8th.
    I also got Hilton. Is it T Y or TY?

I got Rodgers early, but we have two QB slots (one QB and one foe general offense) so I couldnt pass luck up. Ironially enough the guy after me was all pissed (all of us were at a house for a draft party, made for a kick *** time).

Sorry for the thread derail

19. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Well you titled it "Andrew Luck" I figured it was going to be an open discussion about him.. sure he could've been MVP but you could also say the same for a lot of other players last year. Sure Luck appears ready now but a lot of rookies appeared ready in their first season.. like Cam Newton then he had a sophomore slump.

You never know what the future holds besides we have to hope Luck is healthy I don't trust the O-Line as is to protect him at this point.
    Suggesting Andrew Luck could have a sophomore slump is an utter waste of words. Zero percent chance of any kind of regression. Odds of Luck slumping are the same as Roy Hibbert regressing to the level of a Lou Amondson. Not gonna happen.
    David "And One" West

I also got Hilton. Is it T Y or TY?

I got Rodgers early, but we have two QB slots (one QB and one foe general offense) so I couldnt pass luck up. Ironially enough the guy after me was all pissed (all of us were at a house for a draft party, made for a kick *** time).

Sorry for the thread derail
    T Y. I would also expect huge numbers from him. 90 catches. 1100 yds. 10 TDs
    David "And One" West

Manning is only on that level during the regular season though. I would argue he is very average overall in the post season. As good as he is I had very little confidence in Manning in playoff games and still don't. When he threw that back breaking pick last year against the Ravens I called it before it happened. He has gotten a little better at pressure games but Luck look more poised in his first playoff game than Manning did years into his career. I would rather take my chances with Luck when it comes to crunch time.

T Y. I would also expect huge numbers from him. 90 catches. 1100 yds. 10 TDs

Is he changing his number to 88 too?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Suggesting Andrew Luck could have a sophomore slump is an utter waste of words. Zero percent chance of any kind of regression. Odds of Luck slumping are the same as Roy Hibbert regressing to the level of a Lou Amondson. Not gonna happen.
    We'll find out won't we haven't seen Pagano a full season as a coach who knows how that will turn out. People seem to forget a lot of our wins were close calls more than anything. I could see the Colts go 9-7 this season maybe 8-8. This team still has a lot of work before I consider them contenders. But health plays a role I mean there are QB who had potential and got riddled by injuries(Chad Pennington for one) there are no guarantees in life let alone sports.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Truly bad teams usually end up on the wrong side of close games. You haven't watched Luck at all if Pennington and Newton are what come to mind.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Truly bad teams usually end up on the wrong side of close games. You haven't watched Luck at all if Pennington and Newton are what come to mind.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
    The research shows that's simply not true. There is a lot of variance involved, but for the most part it's pretty random. For example, here's a part of Barnwell's recent column on the Colts:

It's hard to classify teams into a group when it comes to measuring close-game performance, but let's work with those teams since 1989 that played at least seven close games and won at least 70 percent of those games. There are 84 instances of that happening. The following year, those 84 teams went a combined 308-292-2 in one-touchdown games, winning 51.1 percent of the contests. That's textbook regression to the mean. Indy won't be as good in close games again in 2013
    And the flip side, here's a comment about the Lions, who went 3-8 in those close games last year:

In any case, again, let's try to compare the Lions to teams that were similarly bad (or unlucky) in one-touchdown games. In all, 51 teams have lost seven or more games by one score or less since 1989; their average record in one-touchdown games during this awful season was 2.5-7.5, meaning they won 25 percent of those close games. The following year, those same teams went a combined 188-210 in those games, nearly doubling their win rate at 47.2 percent. Overall, they won an average of 3.1 more games the following season. That all bodes well for the Lions, who could have a much better record with a merely average amount of luck next season.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9543714/bill-barnwell-breaks-colts-chances-repeating-their-playoff-worthy-record

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...s-numbers-test

It's not all variance. Some elite QBs have been shown to be able to win an above average number of close games. But otherwise, it's much more random than people think. A sixteen game schedule is simply not large enough of a sample size to make a great determination on close games. The Lions are a great example of that. 5-3 in 2011, then 3-8 in 2012.

In 2011, the Raiders were the best team in close games at 7-1, which helped propel them to an 8-8 record. Last year, they were 2-3 in those games, and were 4-12 overall.
    In 2011, the Vikings were the worst team in close games at 2-9, which was a big reason they went 3-13. Last year, they were 5-1 in those games, and were 10-6 overall.

From watching Luck closely, he seems to have some of those characteristics that may allow the Colts record to be a little better than expected in close games. But there's almost no way the close games record doesn't regress at least somewhat this year. Hopefully the Colts can make it up by having better talent than last year and beating more teams by larger margins.

Oh yes, Luck is just as good as those guys TODAY. He is an elite QB, plain and simple. You can wait for the end of the season to rank him with the Bradys and the Mannings, but I WILL NOT WAIT THAT LONG. From what I have seen with my own eyes, Luck is there RIGHT NOW!!!
    I get your enthusiasm for the guy but he needs to improve on his decision making, his consistency and his accuracy to be on the level of those guys. Luck will making an amazing pass like he did to TJ, but then he will have a couple boneheaded passes like the pass he made on Reggie's insane catch for a TD. Everyone celebrates the catch, but Luck basically threw it to the defender instead of Reggie and we just got luck that the DB could not catch.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Manning is only on that level during the regular season though. I would argue he is very average overall in the post season. As good as he is I had very little confidence in Manning in playoff games and still don't. When he threw that back breaking pick last year against the Ravens I called it before it happened. He has gotten a little better at pressure games but Luck look more poised in his first playoff game than Manning did years into his career. I would rather take my chances with Luck when it comes to crunch time.
    It helps Luck to have a real team around him too that does not force him to carry it every inch to have success. Everyone bags on Peyton's playoff success, but when you have to drag a corpse to the playoffs year in and year out and then go up against the best of the best where there is no room to error then sometimes things are not going look pretty. When your entire defense's success is predicated on your offense playing flawlessly you are just doomed.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    The research shows that's simply not true. There is a lot of variance involved, but for the most part it's pretty random. For example, here's a part of Barnwell's recent column on the Colts:

And the flip side, here's a comment about the Lions, who went 3-8 in those close games last year:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9543714/bill-barnwell-breaks-colts-chances-repeating-their-playoff-worthy-record

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...s-numbers-test

It's not all variance. Some elite QBs have been shown to be able to win an above average number of close games. But otherwise, it's much more random than people think. A sixteen game schedule is simply not large enough of a sample size to make a great determination on close games. The Lions are a great example of that. 5-3 in 2011, then 3-8 in 2012.

In 2011, the Raiders were the best team in close games at 7-1, which helped propel them to an 8-8 record. Last year, they were 2-3 in those games, and were 4-12 overall.
    In 2011, the Vikings were the worst team in close games at 2-9, which was a big reason they went 3-13. Last year, they were 5-1 in those games, and were 10-6 overall.

From watching Luck closely, he seems to have some of those characteristics that may allow the Colts record to be a little better than expected in close games. But there's almost no way the close games record doesn't regress at least somewhat this year. Hopefully the Colts can make it up by having better talent than last year and beating more teams by larger margins.
    Eh, I'm not buying most of that. First, basing anything off the *following* season after a perceived "lucky" season is a really bad basis for comparison. There are way too many factors involved, those teams were not carbon-copies of each other from year to year. Two, having been on the bad side of football, I absolutely know that being a not good football team can more often than not have you end up on the losing end of close games. Hell, in 2011, Indy lost 14 games. 6 of them were 1 score games. We lost 5 of them. Why? Because we weren't very good. Blame "chance" and "luck" all ya want, but Mr. Andrew Luck says it best: "You make your luck."
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post: