Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Preseason Game #2: Colts at Giants

Default Re: Preseason Game #2: Colts at Giants

I never said RG3 wasn't a good QB, just that he gets over-hyped and Luck really gets under-hyped at this point in their careers. I think it did have an effect on ROY voting. Like I said, if they took everything into consideration(not just QB rating which doesn't tell the whole story) Luck would have won it because the other two had such a HUGE advantage with the personnel around them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am far from a fashonista but that Bronco orange is probably the most hideous uniform color in the NFL. It is literally construction worker orange, who thought that was a good idea? Seems a few shades lighter (ugh) than the old-school Bronco orange.

I am with you, I'm "on leave" from being a Manning fan until he retires. I'll feel good for him the day he walks away from the game but I wish the Broncos nothing at all in the meantime. Not that I want him to get hurt, I just don't think any better of him than anyone else not wearing Colts blue.
    I agree. A couple friends of mine were bummed when the Broncos lost that playoff game to the Ravens, but I personally didn't care one bit. I only care about the Indianapolis Colts. I would have preferred that Denver won that game, but I certainly didn't lose any sleep at night. I never liked the Broncos during the Manning era and am not going to start liking them now.

I'm just worried that if the Colts lose to the Broncos, there is going to be a chunk of Colts fans who say that they are happy for Manning. I could never be happy about an opponent beating the Colts on our turf in prime time, but that's just me.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I never said RG3 wasn't a good QB, just that he gets over-hyped and Luck really gets under-hyped at this point in their careers. I think it did have an effect on ROY voting. Like I said, if they took everything into consideration(not just QB rating which doesn't tell the whole story) Luck would have won it because the other two had such a HUGE advantage with the personnel around them.
    I completely agree, and likewise, I never said RG3 was "bad". He's good. He's just not near as good as the media makes him out to be. His stock is way higher than it should be. Luck is, imo, the best overall player of that entire group (by a large margin), but he's also the least "shiny". On a personality level, he's way more low-key, everyday-man looking, not attention-grabbing. Kaepernick and RG3 are living the high life right now, living it up, basking in the limelight, getting their promos and endorsements, and both are probably a little over-rated on the field. Luck and Wilson, imo, are both handling the attention way better, and frankly, are both way better players, to me. I really, really like Wilson. I would have been more accepting of Wilson getting the ROY last year over Luck, except I think even Wilson has WAY more team around him than Luck did and does currently. But I think Wilson would have had a great season even on this Colts roster. He's a really good football player. I don't think he would've done as well as Luck did... Luck was thrown a turd sandwich and turned it into a playoff berth. I don't think any of the other hot young QBs could've done what Luck did with this same Colts team. That ultimately is my ultimate litmus test: I imagine substituting those quarterbacks with the other young QBs and imagine how their teams would've done, and in no case where I put Luck on one of the other teams did I feel like that team would've gotten worse, and in no situation did I imagine switching Luck for Wilson/RG3/Kap would've resulted in a better outcome for the Colts. Luck is absolutely the best of all of them. Wilson/Kap/RG3 all did really well.... but imagine Luck on last year's 'Skins team! Imagine Luck on last year's 49er or Seahawks team! You're talking about something seriously special... But Wilson is damn good. Luck though..... extremely special physical and mental talent, a once in a generation player across all sports. The last time an athlete of similar gifts came onto the scene was LeBron James. Luck just doesn't have the same off-the-field hub-bub.... but he has every bit of the on-field make-up. I think Luck is absolutely perfect for the Indy community, in terms of low-key personality with a focus on excellence. That was the legacy that Peyton built here... an focus on excellence, blue-collar attitude, without all the extra-curricular fluff. Luck comes in to that mold perfectly. Awesome convergence of "fit" with ability with this city.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-20-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I check on Peyton out of curiosity, but the magic of watching him get it done with us is gone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    "Danny Granger is one of the top players in the league. To move Danny, you better get a lot back." - Larry Bird

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    At the State Fair, I saw someone wearing a Manning Bronco jersey with a Colt hat. That combination clashed both aesthetically and metaphorically. People like that better pick their allegiance by October 20. Any Colts season ticket holder who shows up in ugly Bronco orange should have their tickets revoked immediately so that a true Colts fan can get them. I'm going to throw up if I hear any "Colts fans" on messages boards saying that they are happy for Peyton if the Broncos win that game. I want to win that game more than anything in front of a national audience, and I'm going to be upset if we don't.
    If there is still a big waiting list I would be in favor of banning season ticket holders who wear Broncos stuff. Broncos are competition. Screw them no matter who is under center.

I hate it when people have a true "2nd team". Choose a side.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I'd rather the Broncos win the Super Bowl than the Patriots, Texans, Steelers, Ravens, or Chargers, but that doesn't mean I'm rooting for them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I want Peyton to win, not the Broncos. But frankly as long as Peyton is the QB, I don't see them winning (it really pains me to say that).

Of course I don't see any way the NFC loses this year...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I want Peyton to win, not the Broncos. But frankly as long as Peyton is the QB, I don't see them winning (it really pains me to say that).

Of course I don't see any way the NFC loses this year...
    What makes you say that? You think he'll continue on with his Playoff blunders?

Anyway back to the Colts/Peyton debate. I'm a Colts fan first. That's just how it is. Players move on, get traded, leave via free agency and what not, but the team always goes on. I can understand people rooting for Peyton and wanting the Broncos to win as long as they aren't playing the Colts, but if you're seriously not going to be upset if the Colts lose to the Broncos this year or if they ever meet in the Playoffs while Peyton is playing, then that's a problem. It won't be as tough as a loss to take, because hey at least it's just Peyton, but you bet your *** I want to win that game, just like I want to win every game. Then again it's easy to say that it won't be that bad cause it is Peyton right now

If I'm able to score tickets to that game it'll be odd to see how the crowd reacts. Sadly I think it might be quieter when Peyton's on offense. I mean the Indy fan base is soft, and a lot of people were just Peyton fans and were probably ready to jump ship with him after he left, but since we got lucky with Luck (no pun intended) and had that emotional run last year it kept fans on board.

Unfortunately I expect to hear cheers when the Broncos score in our building, and not all of the cheering ones will be actual Bronco fans. If I see people wearing Colt Manning jerseys that are cheering a TD pass from Peyton, I'll be a little upset to say the least.

It's just a tough situation I guess. My friend who I thought was as big of a fan as me, when I asked what if the Colts met the Broncos in the AFCCG, he said he'd be rooting for Peyton to get another ring and wouldn't be mad if the Colts lost. His reasoning is because Luck is young and Peyton is older, or something like that, but even then getting to a Super Bowl is a tough thing to accomplish, it took Ray Ray 12 years to get to another one with the Ratbirds. That's not how how I'm going to approach that scenario, but that's just me. If we ended up losing that game the only thing that wouldn't make me as upset would be "Hey at least Peyton is in the Super Bowl" but I will still no doubt be as upset as any fan should be if their team fell a game short of a Super Bowl berth.

Go Colts and Go Peyton (As long as it isn't hurting boys with the blue horseshoes on their helmets)
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

While I'll always appeciate what Peyton did for the Colts franchise he is the enemy now. Pretty simple to me.... boo him as loud as you can while on the field and show class off the field. That goes for any of these guys in any sport.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post

It's just a tough situation I guess. My friend who I thought was as big of a fan as me, when I asked what if the Colts met the Broncos in the AFCCG, he said he'd be rooting for Peyton to get another ring and wouldn't be mad if the Colts lost. His reasoning is because Luck is young and Peyton is older, or something like that, but even then getting to a Super Bowl is a tough thing to accomplish, it took Ray Ray 12 years to get to another one with the Ratbirds. That's not how how I'm going to approach that scenario, but that's just me. If we ended up losing that game the only thing that wouldn't make me as upset would be "Hey at least Peyton is in the Super Bowl" but I will still no doubt be as upset as any fan should be if their team fell a game short of a Super Bowl berth.

Go Colts and Go Peyton (As long as it isn't hurting boys with the blue horseshoes on their helmets)
    Yeah, this is the sort of ill-advised logic that worries me most and makes me want to pull my hair out. Who cares how old either of them are? One of them plays for the Indianapolis Colts and the other doesn't. That's all that should matter. Give him a good ovation before the game and whenever they give him a tribute, but otherwise boo his team. It will be embarrassing for the franchise if a lot of people are cheering for the Broncos on national TV.

To each their own, but I don't sit and worry about Peyton getting another ring here. We won a Super Bowl with him here, played in another, and had multiple opportunities where we just couldn't get the job done. I rooted like hell for us to have more success than we did, but it's over now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Why would I want the other 52 guys in Broncos jerseys to get a ring?

Sorry, I love Peyton, but there are still some old time legends on this Colts roster.

Would you rather see Peyton get another ring than Reggie or Mathis? Sorry, but I'm picking those two dudes over Peyton. Honestly, Reggie and Mathis have more of an Indy connection to me than Peyton, Peyton got a lot of the flashy stuff like the Children's Hospital named after him, but I see Reggie and Mathis at a lot more Indy events. I mean Mathis has been at so many Pacer games over the past few season that it honestly just seems like he is always there at this point.

Look I will always appreciate Peyton, but he made his decision. He didn't want to retire, he wanted to keep competing, and that's fine! But if he can move on, so should we as Colts fans. If you can't, then well, it seems pretty cut and dry to me that you're really just a Peyton fan.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

His reasoning is because Luck is young and Peyton is older, or something like that, but even then getting to a Super Bowl is a tough thing to accomplish
    I'm going to talk about different sports but I think the analogy still holds. Several years back a rookie had a great shot at winning the Indy 500. Unfortunately, an accident took him out (and it wasn't necessarily his own doing). Years later he said that accident hadn't bothered him too much because he was young and it had seemed so easy to get into that position to win that he figured there would be plenty more opportunities. And then he said he learned it doesn't work like that. He never won the Indy 500 and he hasn't had a ride for several years either.

Sure, Luck is younger.... but that doesn't mean he'll have more opportunities than Peyton per se. Bad personnel moves by his team could derail him and there's nothing he can do about that. Injuries to himself and key players could derail seasons if not careers. And even if things go perfectly for the Colts and Luck there's always the chance some other team catches lightning in a bottle and rides it all the way to their own SB and derails the Colts along the way.

In a tight game one small mistake could be huge. A blown coverage. A dropped pass. A fumble. An INT. A misread. And then other circumstances could lead to that having been the team's last, best chance. "Wait'll next year" sounds good... but sometimes 'next year' isn't what you imagined.

IOW.... If you want the Colts to win SB's you best root for them to win when the opportunity presents itself. It might not come around again. Look at the Colts themselves for an example. Who would've thought Manning's Indy career would've ended when it did let alone with only 2 SB appearances? 2 SB appearances is tremendous but there were several missed opportunities in there and then the wheels came off.

I'm sure a lot of people were saying "Wait'll next year" after Caldwell helped coach away a win for the Colts against the Jets in the playoffs and we saw a frustrated Manning on the sideline in one of the last appearances with him as a Colt in uniform. But at that moment we had the hope of the blessings a new season would bring, a SB in Lucas to look forward to, and Manning back to once again lead the Colts. But that's not how it turned out. Instead, that loss to the Jets was the end of the line for a Manning led Colts team to return to the SB.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

As I have said before getting to the Super Bowl and winning it takes a lot of good things to roll your way. The best teams don't always get there and win, and we as Colts fans know that too well.

Whenever it's a one and done style playoff, it just makes the stakes that much higher. Nothing is guaranteed. That's why if the Colts did end up playing the Broncos in the AFCCG and lost I would be pissed. We certainly have a decent looking future in Luck, but you never know what might happen. Can't take anything for granted. One botched snap could screw us from winning a Super Bowl. Bball said it best, though.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    As I have said before getting to the Super Bowl and winning it takes a lot of good things to roll your way. The best teams don't always get there and win, and we as Colts fans know that too well.

Whenever it's a one and done style playoff, it just makes the stakes that much higher. Nothing is guaranteed. That's why if the Colts did end up playing the Broncos in the AFCCG and lost I would be pissed. We certainly have a decent looking future in Luck, but you never know what might happen. Can't take anything for granted. One botched snap could screw us from winning a Super Bowl. Bball said it best, though.
    Exactly. And that's why it's insane for any "Colts fan" to be OK with Manning beating Luck in the playoffs. Yeah Luck is young now, but as we saw during the Manning era, it's extremely tough to win in the NFL playoffs - even if you have an all time talent. A blown opportunity can haunt you for a long time. A true Colts fan should never be able to take any solace in a loss. Ever. I might sound harsh, but I want to create a real NFL fanbase here that puts the franchise above everything else like they do in places like Green Bay or Pittsburgh.