Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox Sports 1

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Fox Sports 1

So Fox Sports 1 launched today. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on it.

I caught some of the UFC action which was pretty much the same as we have seen from Fox and their productions of the UFC this year. And I watched the first episode of Fox Sports Live, aka Fox SportsCenter. I enjoyed it. Jay and Dan are pretty damn good at what they do. Funny guys. The "experts" were interesting. I think McNabb and Gary Payton are home runs. Roddick.... I was skeptical when I found out he would be on there and he didn't really do it for me tonight. He doesn't seem to know where he fits in yet, which is understandable. But when he said Louisville is the team with the best chance to keep Bama from three-peating... all i could think of is, "stick to tennis." It has a different feel to it then SportsCenter, which it needs to. I'm not converted from SC yet, but it was refreshing to see. A nice change.

One thing they absolutely need to change is the screens behind Jay and Dan that show players headshots and such, its two screens (or four) and lines go right through the faces of the players and it looks terrible. It makes everyone look like they are wearing braces. It was driving me nuts. Hopefully they fix it soon.

As a huge sports fan, if you couldnt tell from my username (i was so clever when I was 11), I like many others have been getting more and more turned off by ESPN. It sucks because there are some fantastic, talented people at ESPN. But it seems like they are just heading in the wrong direction. I am happy to see the launch of Fox Sports 1, ESPN finally has a real competitor. I'm very interested in seeing the rest of their line up. We all know football is king and Fox tends to kill it when it comes to the NFL. I'm very interested in their NFL show.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Fox Sports 1

I didn't watch a ton of it but what I did see I liked. I've seen those Jay and Dan guys on Youtube from when they were in Canada, there's a ton of "top 10 most..." type lists they used to do that're pretty funny, those guys are pretty damn good.

But if they're going to REALLY challenge ESPN Fox has to get their NFL broadcasts rights to cable. They've got a pretty good stable of rights right now; Big/Pac 12 football and basketball, UFC, UEFA, 40 or so (I think) MLB games starting next season, US Open, Nascar, that's a helluva lot more than any other challenger has started with, but until it has NFL and people are basically forced to watch it it'll just be another sports channel like NBC Sports Net.

In the short term I think they should go the documentary route. We've all watched the 30 for 30's and seen how much praise ESPN's gotten for them. Those have to be cheap to make and I'd watch the hell outta em. I watched that Zola Budd one on ESPN the other day and I have no interest whatsoever in female distance running. Maybe try and poach Inside The NFL from Showtime or Real Sports from HBO. Getting the rights to Hard Knocks would be a boon but it'd have to watered down a ton and that'd probably take a lot of the fun out of it.

5 minutes in they had a round table discussion about A-Rod.

Way to not be like ESPN guys!

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Is SF1 on Uverse?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't watch a ton of it but what I did see I liked. I've seen those Jay and Dan guys on Youtube from when they were in Canada, there's a ton of "top 10 most..." type lists they used to do that're pretty funny, those guys are pretty damn good.

But if they're going to REALLY challenge ESPN Fox has to get their NFL broadcasts rights to cable. They've got a pretty good stable of rights right now; Big/Pac 12 football and basketball, UFC, UEFA, 40 or so (I think) MLB games starting next season, US Open, Nascar, that's a helluva lot more than any other challenger has started with, but until it has NFL and people are basically forced to watch it it'll just be another sports channel like NBC Sports Net.

In the short term I think they should go the documentary route. We've all watched the 30 for 30's and seen how much praise ESPN's gotten for them. Those have to be cheap to make and I'd watch the hell outta em. I watched that Zola Budd one on ESPN the other day and I have no interest whatsoever in female distance running. Maybe try and poach Inside The NFL from Showtime or Real Sports from HBO. Getting the rights to Hard Knocks would be a boon but it'd have to watered down a ton and that'd probably take a lot of the fun out of it.
    I dont think they really need to get the NFL on FS1. They have it on their normal Fox Station. And they will have a ton of NFL coverage. ESPN only gets MNF and they won't let that go. NBC only has SNF and they wont let that go. I don't think the NFL will let Fox move the NFL from the traditional Fox station to FS1. I think FS1 is already ahead of NBCSN with what rights they have and the talent they have. I would love to see them do a 30 for 30 type series as well.

And Kstat, did you hear the comments made? Of course they were going to talk A-Rod.

And yes it is on Uverse, channel 1652

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No Skip Bayless, no Tim Tebow, a single saying of the name "Lebron James"? I'm happy with them.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

It'd be nice if Fox Sports 1 carried the non-regional NFL game you can't see on Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    No Skip Bayless, no Tim Tebow, a single saying of the name "Lebron James"? I'm happy with them.
    ....none of which Sportscenter has done in forever, mainly because Tebow is irrelevant, the NBA is in the offseason, and Bayliss is banished to first take.

.....on the other hand, we had a nice long roundtable discussion about A-rod and his lawyer.....so glad FS1 is not at all like ESPN!

I suppose if you're a big fan of MMA and open-wheel/bike racing, FS1 is your dream come true. I just wasn't impressed with their mainstream sports coverage, which came off as a poor-man's version of what ESPN does all the time, right down to the reel of athletes' twitter photos.

I like Gary Payton. He needs to refine his speech a little, but he's got the potential to be a rich man's Kenny Smith if he really works at it. They still lack someone with some charisma to balance him out.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-18-2013 at 05:03 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I love that people for even two seconds thought that the company that has tried to hire away ESPN's best talent would try something different than what has clearly proven to bring in ratings. The best thing about Fox Sports 1? The fact that ESPN has competition to step up their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It'd be nice if Fox Sports 1 carried the non-regional NFL game you can't see on Fox.
    This would be amazing, but i don't think it will ever happen as long as NFL Sunday Ticket is around.

A-Rod and his lawyer was a big story. Why would they not talk about that? What are you expecting them to talk about?

Fox Sports Live is different than SC, but its a sports highlight show, its not going to be that different. I'm more intrigued by everything else FS1 will be putting out there. I don't ever see Fox Sports Live overtaking SportsCenter. And it shouldn't. SportsCenter isn't the problem with ESPN. Its everything else.

The best thing about Fox Sports 1? The fact that ESPN has competition to step up their game.
    Couldn't have said it better.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Watching their college football preview.

Erin Andrews is hot and knows her stuff. Eddie George highlights a decent but average supporting cast.

Mike Pereira on their round table is laughable. He's a former referee. He has no place there, and everyone knows it. He barely talks and when he does he provides nothing. He looks uncomfortable as ****.

Bringing in Regis Philbin to tell us how great notre dame is was also a turnoff. It's like ESPN bringing magic aboard to pimp the 2014 lakers to us.

Andrews has real star potential. I like her. Her crew isn't helping her, though.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-18-2013 at 08:41 PM.

They are really going over the top with their whole, "We are fun! Really! Look at us!" schtick.

^i don't know how the TV is gonna turn out, but i prefer Fox Sports Radio to ESPN (Jay Mohr, PatO'Brien and Hartman, Petros and Money vs Cowherd VanPelt Coach and Co). Actually it would be closer if ESPN kept Gottlieb. Although Fox used to have Rome too.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Is SF1 on Uverse?

Yes 1652.

i won't be able to judge until the NBA season
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-18-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    ^i don't know how the TV is gonna turn out, but i prefer Fox Sports Radio to ESPN (Jay Mohr, PatO'Brien and Hartman, Petros and Money vs Cowherd VanPelt Coach and Co). Actually it would be closer if ESPN kept Gottlieb. Although Fox used to have Rome too.
    U left out the best two guys JT the Brick and the MVP of sports talk radio Ben Maller. Complete opposites style wise but they are by far the best sports talk guys IMO. Weekend over night radio is where it is at. I could listen to Ben Maller all day.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    U left out the best two guys JT the Brick and the MVP of sports talk radio Ben Maller. Complete opposites style wise but they are by far the best sports talk guys IMO. Weekend over night radio is where it is at. I could listen to Ben Maller all day.
    maller is good. also bill ryder is good when he is on, and kirk morrison is shockingly good for an active NFL guy. I miss Vic The Brick though.

I watched some of the Fox Sports Live and wasn't impressed. Too much non-serious schtick. I think I'll stick with SportsCenter.

The big thing for Fox Sports 1 is when the NBA contract comes up. Rumors are they'll be making a hard push for that. It could really legitimize them.

That said, the best thing about it, as cdash stated, is it gives ESPN some competition. If the competition forces them to become better, everyone wins.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

21. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

I've been impressed with what I've seen so far. I think the thing to remember is that they're literally only days into their existence. ESPN has had a 30 year head start to become what they are. I think over time, maybe some of the non-serious schtick we see so far will fade a bit. I like that it's different. They still have to talk about A-Rod, but they aren't going to have a Barry Melrose comment on A-Rod just because he's on set. They aren't going to have Barry Melrose and Chris "Sources" Broussard 'debate' about whether or not the Heat's streak or the Blackhawks' streak is more impressive. And so far, god forbid, they aren't going to 'EMBRACE DEBATE.'

I almost get the feeling I'm watching a SNL skit. A bit cheesy at this point, but hopefully they'll regress into something a little more tame.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Not impressed yet. Still consistently hearing about manziel, rg3, puig, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    Not impressed yet. Still consistently hearing about manziel, rg3, puig, etc.
    Guess what? You will keep hearing about them. Because that's the news in sports right now. I honestly don't know what people were expecting with these ESPN 24-hour competitors. They are going to use the same model and hell, half the same people that ESPN once employed or would employ (former players, pretty sideline reporters, big personalities). It is what drives ratings, so they will continue to do it. Like I said earlier in this post, the best thing about Fox Sports 1 is that it gives ESPN competition to step up their game.

Problem is they're using really, really poor versions. I wouldn't even call this a poor-man's Sportscenter.

These roundtable discussions are a trainwreck. Why in the holy **** would anyone think Donovan Mcnabb and Andy Roddick discussing the career of Ichiro Suzuki would be a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post
    They aren't going to have Barry Melrose and Chris "Sources" Broussard 'debate' about whether or not the Heat's streak or the Blackhawks' streak is more impressive. And so far, god forbid, they aren't going to 'EMBRACE DEBATE.'
    Not sure what you've been watching, but not only are they doing that, they're doing it more and on a worse level than ESPN.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Guess what? You will keep hearing about them. Because that's the news in sports right now. I honestly don't know what people were expecting with these ESPN 24-hour competitors. They are going to use the same model and hell, half the same people that ESPN once employed or would employ (former players, pretty sideline reporters, big personalities). It is what drives ratings, so they will continue to do it. Like I said earlier in this post, the best thing about Fox Sports 1 is that it gives ESPN competition to step up their game.
    Wasn't expecting anything else, but there's plenty more news if they wanted to talk about it. I'd be happy if there was an hour long show on the NFL with 1:30 reserved for each team.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

that Katie Nolan girl's gonna be a superstar