Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBA: The All-'What-If-They-Never-Got-Injured' Team

Default Re: NBA: The All-'What-If-They-Never-Got-Injured' Team

Penny was my favorite growing up. So sad what happened to him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Some of those guys were very good players and others were a lock for the HOF. I think Jay Williams would have been good but he doesn't belong in the same article with Oden and Bill Walton. Walton was ridiculously talented and I would rank his talent around Bird level. I think a healthy Oden might have been one of the best defensive centers in the history of the game. We are talking a bigger version of Bill Russell.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Len Bias should probably be on the list, as well as Reggie Lewis and Drazen Petrovic, assuming you classify death as an injury (I do).
    agree with the Reggie Lewis mention, dude would have been HoF player for sure, so sad

and why is D Rose on here? a little too soon imo because he could come back and be as great as he was prior to injury, it's way too soon to put him on this list

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ReggiesUncle For This Useful Post:

Can't forget Fat Lever, he doesn't tear up his knee you might be talking about a HOF career. Ralph Sampson's body doesn't give out Hakeem wouldn't have had to wait so long for his rings. Maurice Stokes is definitely the most tragic, got fouled and hit his head on the floor. Got brain damage and eventually became paralyzed and died at 36.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

What? No Eric Gordon? Jermaine O'Neal?

Jeff Ruland and Kevin Johnson deserve shoutouts

No mention for Tinsley?

I think in a lot of cases, players breaking down like some on that list is due to the ridiculous amount of games in an NBA regular season.
    82 games is just too much. It's unhealthy to the players as they practically have no time to let their bodies heal in between games, which result in little knocks and bruises becoming major injuries.
    Plus, with 82 games to play before the PO, teams take nights off, and some games become "schedule loses". It's just bad for the league IMO.

Players like Yao could've possibly had considerably longer careers than they did, had the regular season not been this intense.
    I think 1 home game and 1 road game against every other team is plenty - that's 58 games.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DgR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DgR View Post
    I think in a lot of cases, players breaking down like some on that list is due to the ridiculous amount of games in an NBA regular season.
    82 games is just too much. It's unhealthy to the players as they practically have no time to let their bodies heal in between games, which result in little knocks and bruises becoming major injuries.
    Plus, with 82 games to play before the PO, teams take nights off, and some games become "schedule loses". It's just bad for the league IMO.

Players like Yao could've possibly had considerably longer careers than they did, had the regular season not been this intense.
    I think 1 home game and 1 road game against every other team is plenty - that's 58 games.
    Rik Smits would have benefited from a shorter season too. The long season takes more of a toll on centers simply because the human body really isn't supposed to be that big. Just by being able to play in the NBA they are already beating the odds.

I completely disagree with 1 home 1 away for every team. At that point divisions and conferences become obsolete. Divisions and conferences are tools to create rivalries and competition that go beyond a single game making things more interesting. If you get rid of anything, get rid of inter-conference play, and add an extra game or two against division competition.

Personally I couldn't care less about divisions or 'division rivalries.' All I care about are our competitive rivals, no matter where they hail from. Other than that, if we develop a history of competition with another franchise, I still get a bit more joy beating them no matter the circumstances (Miami, LAL, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Boston), but beyond that I don't care. Certainly not because of some geographic proximity or arbitrary assignment of division.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    *Looks for Maurice Stokes.

*Looks for Andrew Tony.

*Dismisses yet another laughable Bleacher Report list.

I can only assume the author was born in the late 90's. Listing Bill Walton as a power forward is also comedy gold.
    It's Bleacher Report. Pretty sure everyone involved with that POS site is under the age of 20.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

The other things to consider with Yao were his obligations to the Chinese national team and having sponsorships to fly back and forth to all the time. People talk about Kobe's grueling last three years going from NBA season to playoffs to international competition to rehab and repeat. That was Yao's way of life pretty much from getting drafted. Maybe he gets a few more full seasons without having to fulfill those bi-national requirements. That said, it's pretty impressive how long he played (and how damn good he was) considering his size and stature.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

As an old-timer, I've been lucky enough to see MJ, Lebron, Magic, Bird, Isiah, Jabbar, Malone (both of them) play in person. I was lucky enough to see Bill Walton in one of the couple years that he was healthy play, and I'm here to tell you he was the 3rd best player I've ever seen play the game (only behind MJ & Lebron). Talk about what might have been! He was basically a bigger and slightly more athletic Larry Bird. Check out the '73 NCAA Championship game on Youtube. He was just as spectacular the couple years that he was healthy in the NBA. And shouldn't J. Bender warrant an honorable mention on this list?

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    What? No Eric Gordon? Jermaine O'Neal?
    JO has had a good career, he has the most all star game appearances by a Pacers player, that alone warrants the good career mark.

still too early to tell about EG

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Greg Oden would be the star of this team
    Smothered Chicken!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers all injury team would have to include:

Bender whose career never got off the ground after an acceptable rookie year
    Smits whose career did get off the ground only to be severely limited
    LaSalle Thompson who had some good years then got injured
    Roger Brown who was brilliant even hampered by injury
    Clark Kellogg who was very promising. It was a darn shame what happened to him.
    Stipo, just when he was finding his niche, injury ruined him.
    Big Mac, when the P's got him the second time around, injuries had sapped him but he was still an OK back up.
    Haskin - played 27 games before injury. There was no way to ever judge what he would become.

Maybe Granger on that list. IND would have beaten MIA in the ECF last year. But he will be back!
    Last edited by WhoLovesYaBaby?; 08-19-2013 at 02:20 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DgR View Post
    No mention for Tinsley?
    Most of his Tinjury's were in his head. That guy had more "sinus infections", "flu-like symptoms", "family emergencies", "personal matters", and "infected molars" than any player in league history.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    Haskin - played 27 games before injury. There was no way to ever judge what he would become.
    I wish more people would think of Haskin this way. As I recall, he was expected to be huge and was actually playing very well before his injury, and yet people insist on putting him on lists of bad draft picks.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post: