Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Jackson - Right or Wrong

Default Jim Jackson - Right or Wrong

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...nnsi&type=lgns

No pay, no foul
    Marty Burns, SI.com

In the spring of '99, I went to Portland to write a piece for Sports Illustrated about then-Blazers swingman Jim Jackson, who was getting set to make his first career playoff appearance after 446 games spanning seven NBA seasons. At the time it was the ninth-longest such drought in league history, and Jackson (who had spurned a bigger offer from the Clippers to sign a three-year $5.8 million deal with the Blazers) was clearly looking forward to his first dip in postseason waters.

"This is the reason I came here," he said. "I wanted to be in a winning situation."

Jackson wound up having a solid playoff run. Once a big-time scorer with the Mavs (he averaged 25.7 points per game in '94-95), he had willingly accepted a role off Portland's bench as Isaiah Rider's backup. Thanks in part to his defense and shot-making, the Blazers made it all the way to the Western Conference finals before blowing a huge fourth-quarter Game 7 lead against the Lakers. Unfortunately for Jackson, he was traded along with Rider that summer to the Hawks in a deal for Steve Smith. It was a tough break for the former Ohio State standout.

But Jackson bit his lip and kept his grumbling to a minimum during the subsequent season-and-a-half in the Atlanta wasteland.

ADVERTISEMENT
    I thought of this last week after hearing the news that Jackson had been suspended indefinitely by the Hornets. Unhappy about the Dec. 27 trade that sent him from Houston to New Orleans, he simply refused to report to New Orleans.

At 34, Jackson apparently has decided that he doesn't want to waste his time on a 4-29 Hornets team. Every game he misses, he loses 1/90th of his $2.4 million annual salary. The meter is now at $161,333 and running. Jackson, naturally, is taking a PR beating. Hornets fans are calling him selfish and spoiled. Even some of his fellow NBA players think he's wrong.

"If you get traded, you still gotta play," Warriors forward Cliff Robinson says. "That's the nature of the business."

But if Jackson is willing to give up the cash, why should anybody be upset? After all, don't we criticize players for collecting paychecks when their hearts aren't in it? Isn't this better than showing up and pulling a Vince Carter? Jackson has already been through a hellish rebuilding situation in his career. His '92-93 Mavs team finished 11-71, second-worst of all time. The following year his Mavs were 13-69. Even if Jackson deserves some of the blame for those terrible records, isn't it understandable that he wouldn't want to relive that nightmare?

Moreover, one could argue Jackson already more than repented to the basketball gods for his old Dallas sins. New Orleans would mark his 11th team in 13 NBA seasons. While that's often a sign of a malcontent, Jackson was an innocent victim in most of these cases.

Portland just wanted to get rid of Rider. Atlanta dealt him to Cleveland to get a badly-needed point guard in Brevin Knight. Sacramento let him go for financial reasons. Jackson thought he had finally found a home in Houston, where he was a favorite of coach Jeff Van Gundy, but he fell victim to the Rockets' sudden need for an additional ball-handler (David Wesley).

Now Jackson finds himself in the basketball backwaters of New Orleans with no clue as to why he's there. The Hornets made the trade to get rid of Wesley and acquire a decent young prospect in Bostjan Nachbar. Jackson was a throw-in to make the salaries match up. That's why Jackson is being so stubborn and holding out for a trade.

He and GM Allan Bristow have spoken once, during a conference call shortly after the trade, but that has been the extent of the conversation. Mark Termini, Jackson's agent, declined comment Friday except to say that his client had nothing against New Orleans and was hopeful something could be worked out to the advantage of both parties.

Clearly, the Hornets could get something for Jackson if they try hard enough. The Nuggets need a shooting guard and might be willing to part with Rodney White. The Heat have extra pieces in Wes Person and Rasual Butler, and Jackson was spotted recently at a game in Miami.

But there is no guarantee the Hornets will do anything. Publicly, Bristow says he still hopes Jackson changes his mind and agrees to suit up. The Hornets even have a locker stall ready at New Orleans Arena, complete with a No. 22 Jackson jersey and an unopened box of Air Max Nikes, size 15. Or the notoriously tight-fisted Hornets might decide to keep Jackson on the suspended list so they don't have to pay his salary.

Whatever the case, we're not saying anybody should feel sorry for Jackson. The NBA is a business. Players use their leverage all the time to maximize their gain. The Rockets had every right to trade Jackson, and the Hornets have every right to expect him to suit up. But don't put Jackson alongside Carter, Alonzo Mourning and Tracy McGrady in the NBA's Mt. Rushmore of Malingerers either.

Unlike Zo, Jackson's not collecting on a fat paycheck to do nothing. Unlike Carter and T-Mac last season, he's not going out on the floor and playing at half-throttle. All Jackson wants is a chance to play for a contending team before it's too late. The Hornets need guys who truly want to be there. It seems something could be done to satisfy those goals and make this a win-win situation for both parties.

Is Jackson doing the right thing or making a big mistake?

Default Re: Jim Jackson - Right or Wrong

I agree with what he is doing.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I'm torn.

If this were a young player who had seasons left in the NBA I would be against him.

However seeing as how he is at an end & he was just a throw in I can sympathize with him. I can't believe that he is in any long term plans of the Hornets so why bother going through the misery that is the season.

But this is the same Jackson that held out so long as a rookie as well so we have to keep that in mind.

I guess I feel sorry for the guy & if he is willing to lose the money I guess it's really not hurting anyone because his presence is not going to make a differance one way or the other to N.O.

But if this were a player who mattered then I would be totally against what he is doing.

I think he should hold out and demand a trade to Indiana for Michael Curry.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think its easy to say until a player does that to your franchise....

I think he should be a man about it and play.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Well, I'm split. If my team is just horrible, I'm not sure I'd want a guy coming in and possibly tampering with my #1 draft pick. Face it, Jim Jackson isn't going to make the Hornets into a playoff team. But he might be good enough to get them into 2nd or 3rd to last place, which means less pub regarding your draft pick, less for fans to get excited about. In the meantime, your team is awful, and they'll continue to be awful with Jim Jackson, he's not exciting because he's not going to be a developing talent, then maybe I'd rather the owner not have to pay him. Also, it's not like he's holding out for more money, he's just a veteran player who doesn't want to suffer through any more terrible seasons.

On the flipside, it would be a slap in the face for a guy to refuse to play for my team, no matter how bad it is. I guess I'd be so disgusted with the guy that I wouldn't want him on the team anyways. So I guess maybe I"m not as conflicted as I thought. Either way, it's fine if he doesn't want to play.

ooo, speaking of the Hornets, they'll undoubtedly have the #1 pick this year. Will they draft that PG from Wake Forest if he enters the draft? If so, will they be even more aggressively shopping Baron?

I like that trade fig...do you think we'd do it? Rick would kick and scream before he let them pull the trigger! What about! Curry +Edwards+Future conditional 2nd round pick!
    DEAL!
    and hornets HAVE to throw in PJ Brown...sound good?

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The NBA is a business. I agree with what he is doing. The team had every right to trade him for its benefit; he has every right to sit out to maximize his benefit and/or show his disgust, etc.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Yup and he isn't getting paid either, so as a fan of New Orleans I would be disgusted too, but from the outside looking in and seeying he has been in more than his fair share of BAD teams and has been thrown in so much, yeah, I can sympathize with him.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

If he doesn't need the money, it's in his best iinterest that he wait until New Orleans finds a deal for him. It's also in New Orleans interest since they don't have to pay him and they have don't need the temporary disruption on their roster. The trading deadline is not much more than a month away, so the Hornets will soon find a suitable deal for him.

You have to believe the Nets would take him today, and give up a second round pick in the process (they have the trade exception to allow them to take his salary) - but the Hornets are holding out for more.

I think the Pacers will enter the Jackson sweepstakes, if it becomes clear that Bender won't be able to play the rest of the year. If we want to compete in the East, we can't finish the rest of this year with just Stephen Jackson and our current small forwards, can we?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I would love to have him on the team, but as always "for the right price" . I would be willing to give up more than a 2nd round pick like NJ is offering though

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I have never been able to figure out this fascination that some of you have with Jim Jackson.

I consider him about on par with Ron Mercer, but slightly better. I have zero desire to see the guy on the team. 11 teams in 13 years should tell somebody something.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not a Jim Jackson fan at all. He's a lot like Rod Strickland or Adrian Dantley, there's a reason teams are willing to move him along to the next "sucker."

My usual comment it that, "you signed the contract, you should show up and play". But he seems to be willing to be suspended without pay. I'm usually offended by the guy who doesn't want to report but still wants his contract to be honored. I think I'm okay with this. Its equitable because NO isn't receiving nor paying for his services, and its equitable because JJ isn't honoring nor being paid for his contract. The one way this is inequitable is that NO might feel shortchanged by trading Welsey only for Nachbar, but I think everyone agrees that JJ was a throw-in. Its not like trading Franchise, Cat and Cato for T-Mac, and then having Franchise act like he doesn't want to ge to Orlando - in that case Franchise was one of the principal components of the trade.

These guys are human, I just wonder how we'd all react if we were in careers in which we could be uprooted and traded on a moment's notice?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think that it's right what he is doing. He should have reported to the team and played a few games and then demanded a trade.

I'd love to have him on the Pacers squad. I totally disagree with your statement that Jim Jackson is like Ron Mercer. One thing the Jim Jackson will give us that Mercer never did is 3pt shooting and post scoring. He's also a much better defender than Mercer.

If the Pacers traded for him, he'd be the second best SF on the team (I really don't consider Freddy a SF and Bender is a huge ?). He's a better defender than Curry and JJ and a better scorer. I think he'd be a good fit.

The man signed a contract. It may suck, but he should live up to it.

It's not like he can say he didn't know this was part of being an NBA player.

That said, since the Hornets suck anyway it probably doesn't make all that much difference except reducing his desirability to another team.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I care enough to post but not enough to have an opinion.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

But from what I understand, he's willing to be suspended without pay, so I think he is living up to it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Agreed.

Trace

I'm wondering exactly what Jackson agreed to by signing the contract. My understanding is that it guarantees a certain level of pay for a certain period of time if he chooses to play in the NBA. I don't believe it was an agreement that he would be compelled to play, only the amount he would be compensated assuming he did. If that's the case, then I say it's a free country and he's free to choose not to work if he doesn't want to.

Mood

He's not playing and they're not paying. Seems fair to me. I'd be pissed if it were my team though; especially if we were supposed to have a good year (unlike the Hornets).

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    I like this response.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    He's not playing and they're not paying. Seems fair to me. I'd be pissed if it were my team though; especially if we were supposed to have a good year (unlike the Hornets).
    I could agree with this post

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    In my opinion, he signed with the Rockets, not the Hornets.

He's an outstanding player. Nap you've got to be kiding that JJ is a better scorer. JJ is one diminsional, Jackon isn't. JJ folded with ds concentrated on his shooting. Jackson has had above average numbers for in the west, with limited time due to coming off the bench.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    But from what I understand, he's willing to be suspended without pay, so I think he is living up to it.
    One more example of how monstrously protected NBA players are.

In my line of work, if I sign a contract and then don't show up, I'd get fired. But not in the NBA!

And he's taking up a roster spot the Hornest could use to sign someone else.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire