Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bills @ Colts First Preseason Game

Default Re: Bills @ Colts First Preseason Game

I don't get what Jimbo's issue is I mean don't get me wrong I'm glad he cares and all but we played badly in preseason during the Manning era and it wasn't an issue. I don't get why it matters now?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get what Jimbo's issue is I mean don't get me wrong I'm glad he cares and all but we played badly in preseason during the Manning era and it wasn't an issue. I don't get why it matters now?
    The Manning era teams had already proven a lot by the time they started blowing off the pre-season. You always knew that they would light cats up once the real season started. This current team had a fine season last year, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. They haven't yet earned the right to blow off the pre-season like the teams of the mid 2000's. We need to take these games seriously.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-12-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd take Harnish over Painter
    I would take an actual painter over Painter.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Luck definitely seemed more animated during interviews than last season. He's quickly growing into a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The Manning era teams had already proven a lot by the time they started blowing off the pre-season. You always knew that they would light cats up once the real season started. This current team had a fine season last year, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. They haven't yet earned the right to blow off the pre-season like the teams of the mid 2000's. We need to take these games seriously.
    Valid point I guess my main issue is that he probably shouldn't have taken it to Twitter. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be the case where we let the wrong coach go...

I think the Colts will take a step back and in a way that might be a good thing long term.

Valid point I guess my main issue is that he probably shouldn't have taken it to Twitter. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be the case where we let the wrong coach go...

I think the Colts will take a step back and in a way that might be a good thing long term.
    Agree on both points. Coaching issue is a concern. And it's not just from standpoint of head coach, but also losing Arians's offensive mind/system as well. I get Pep is this offensive genius and what not, but he's not proven it at this level.

Now, I'm not saying the situation won't work out. But being a little leery about how it plays out is also understandable. This years smacks as a regression record wise despite the fact that team may actually improve its play at times - and definitely its experience throughout - this season. And if I'm wrong, well GREAT!
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Exclude the sack and Castonzo was terrible. D. Carter was right down awful. Couldn't pass block for nothing. Blew assignment after assignment. Very disappointed.

Other then that, its preseason, not a big deal.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As I said in another thread, I hope Jim isn't becoming Bob.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    As I said in another thread, I hope Jim isn't becoming Bob.
    Tiger Bob was drunk and mean. Jimmy on the other hand will be stoned and let's be friends.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I'm sure in hindsight the Manning era didn't end like Jim Irsay thinks it should have. In the middle of it, it was probably both exciting and frustrating at the same time but with the excitement of many regular season wins carrying the day on one hand and the always bright 'wait'll next year' carrying the day on the other. Big games. Bright lights. High expectations. A SB win and a couple of appearances mixed in.

Then it ended. Sooner than ever thought possible Manning's time as a Colt ended. Injury, business, and father time intervened on the party. Now in hindsight suddenly there's the question of how a team that had Peyton Manning could flame out so easily in the playoffs so many times. How that team could be so fatally flawed yet pull out regular season wins and even bring home a SB trophy. So maybe Jim isn't wanting to see a repeat of the wasted playoff appearances. Maybe he wants more playoff success and a better balanced team to give them that chance. Maybe he believes, or realizes, he was too patient and too gullible during the Manning era and lulled into a false sense of security about the team's ability to win in the playoffs.

Ever since Manning's injury season I've wondered if all those preseason losses and performances were actually telling but Manning and the offense (particularly a select few positions of the offense) covered up for those in the regular season when it counted. IOW, maybe those preseason losses showed us our horses didn't particularly stack up to other team's horses once we took only a few pieces away.
    Last edited by Bball; 08-13-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'm sure in hindsight the Manning era didn't end like Jim Irsay thinks it should have. In the middle of it, it was probably both exciting and frustrating at the same time but with the excitement of many regular season wins carrying the day on one hand and the always bright 'wait'll next year' carrying the day on the other. Big games. Bright lights. High expectations. A SB win and a couple of appearances mixed in.

Then it ended. Sooner than ever thought possible Manning's time as a Colt ended. Injury, business, and father time intervened on the party. Now in hindsight suddenly there's the question of how a team that had Peyton Manning could flame out so easily in the playoffs so many times. How that team could be so fatally flawed yet pull out regular season wins and even bring home a SB trophy. So maybe Jim isn't wanting to see a repeat of the wasted playoff appearances. Maybe he wants more playoff success and a better balanced team to give them that chance. Maybe he believes, or realizes, he was too patient and too gullible during the Manning era and lulled into a false sense of security about the team's ability to win in the playoffs.

Ever since Manning's injury season I've wondered if all those preseason losses and performances were actually telling but Manning and the offense (particularly a select few positions of the offense) covered up for those in the regular season when it counted. IOW, maybe those preseason losses showed us our horses didn't particularly stack up to other team's horses once we took only a few pieces away.

That makes sense I just wish he showed this much outrage when we threw away the shot at perfection.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

That makes sense I just wish he showed this much outrage when we threw away the shot at perfection.

Irsay's persona has changed a lot since he decided to clean house after the miserable 2011 season. I think he realized that he had allowed Polian to have too much sway on the culture and public relations image of the team. That led to some toxic results near the end of his tenure here. He was extremely hostile towards the local media (called Kravitz a "rats who spread lies") while always giving the scoop to his buddy Mort at ESPN. Then there was the disastrous radio show after we threw in the towel on the regular season where he was downright rude and nasty to the paying customers who questioned why they spent their Christmas money on watching a team quit on a perfect season.

None of this was that big of a deal during the Manning era because Manning's presence always meant that there would be a huge fan base. But after we cut ties with Manning, Irsay knew that the team had to improve its public relations in order for us to maintain our large fan base during a rebuilding era. He knew that we couldn't afford to continue allowing an egotistical GM to dictate the public local personal of the team. Thus, Irsay has taken a much more visible public role and the team has had a more "friendly" vibe to it (draft parties, nicer to the local media, etc).
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-13-2013 at 08:55 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Plus, with Irsay and his Twitter account, how much of that Tweet was to be taken serious and really meant what it seemed to mean (that he called for heads or something)? Versus he knew the team played poorly and that the fans would be curious and he just threw them a bone or exaggerated his post game meeting/call?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Does Irsay trust Pagano? They have no history together. This is year one for our coach and GM so Irsay is having his say. If Dungy were around Irsay would not have said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Does Irsay trust Pagano? They have no history together. This is year one for our coach and GM so Irsay is having his say. If Dungy were around Irsay would not have said anything.
    It's year two for both our GM and coach. Pagano missed a lot of last season because of his illness, but it's still his second preseason.

I know he's the owner and all, but seriously, would any NFL lifer type coach legitimately take Jim Irsay's criticism to heart? Remember when he was the GM? It was THE reason the Indianapolis Colts sucked for so long.

I think he's a great dude, I've interacted with him (very) briefly a few times. He cares, I'll definitely give him that, that's a big deal in pro sports ownership, in a positive way. But the guy need some kind of other business outlet. You can't get on Twitter and say you chewed out your coaches over a crappy week 1 preseason game, you can't get on Twitter and repeatedly tease about big deals goin down or whatever all that BS was leading up to Vontae Davis (solid player, but c'mon Jim).

It does absolutely nothing but place blame on coaches and executives. If they do a bad job that's fine when it comes from a reporter or a message board poster or whatever, but you're the one that hired em Jim. There is literally zero positives that come from Jim Irsay tweeting about him allegedly (I honestly don't believe he said an antagonistic word to Pagano & Co beyond 'c'mon guys!') about yelling at the coaches.

I'm kinda ranting a little, but maybe this is what's been pent up since Polian was running the show. If Polian kept him in check then good for Polian. And if Pagano doesn't work out, I'm up in the air on that, is an owner that takes to Twitter after a ****** week 1 preseason game the kind of guy you'd want to work for? Is an owner that keeps leaking "big fish comin!" type stuff or whatever an owner you want to work for as a GM when you're trying to get a market value deal?

The guy owns the team, so he can do whatever he wants I suppose, but get a damn hobby. Next time you want to criticize the guys you hired after a meaningless game go read your Kerouac scroll or something. Just shut up and let the people you hired do their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    It's year two for both our GM and coach. Pagano missed a lot of last season because of his illness, but it's still his second preseason.
    Can count last season as Arian's. Irsay and Pagano really didn't get to know one another professionally.