View Poll Results: Should college players be paid?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 43.75%
  • No

9 56.25%

Thread: Should College Players be Paid?

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Should College Players be Paid?

All this Manziel talk is bringing up the debate of whether or not players should get paid. (Side note: he apparently sold autographs for rims for his car...).

I'm sure you've heard it all, where do you stand?

I'm a firm no. Bottom line, they're saving thousands and thousands of dollars. Even if regular students have jobs, they don't make near enough to cover tuition. They graduate with loads of debt usually. Athletes get food, shelter, clothes, tutors, etc. so what if they can't afford to go to the movies? Some regular students can't either.

Another thing I don't get is how they would pay them. How do you decide what men's basketball players get compared to women's. Or men's basketball compared to men's soccer. Or Purdue football compared to Alabama football.

I imagine they kid's parents had enough money to allow them to go out to movies and now they don't have to pay for food, clothes, etc. and they can't afford to give them a little extra money? I'm sure some can't, but I don't know any athletes who struggled that bad.

They aren't professional athletes. They are students who play sports. Interns make companies money. Bands make schools money. Student organizations make/save money for schools. Not on the same scale obviously, but still.

Imagine companies had small organizations students could work at for free, and the best would get paid millions of dollars. So many kids would do that over having a minimum-wage, part-time job.

Those are my main thoughts, how do you feel?

Default Re: Should College Players be Paid?

You bring up some good points, paying athletes would make the difference between the haves and have-nots a lot bigger, and would make being a Purdue fan basically pointless (could never outbid schools with richer boosters etc, although is that really so different from how it is now?). But it is unfair that these kids (in football especially) put their bodies on the line and then most often get discarded without compensation. As for that "free education" here is an example of how that often works in practice, even for kids motivated and prepared to get educated who are at "good schools":

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-...e-class/191193

edit: better link:
    http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2...oing-to-class/

By the way interships cant just be working for free. There are regulations about an unpaid internship can entail, which are now starting to be enforced--some students sued Fox films (I think) successfully on this point.
    Last edited by dal9; 08-10-2013 at 02:01 AM.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I think they should, but I'm not about to pretend I know how, I'm nowhere near that smart. We're too far gone to make it a viable option, be it Title IX or that a lot of the profits fund sports that aren't football and mens basketball. But I do wish there were a fair way to cut the players in on the MASSIVE profits. And who cares about the haves and have nots? Blue bloods with big boosters could give the kids a bunch of money and get the best players...which is different from what happens now?

But I think it's completely ludicrous they aren't allowed to profit off their person. How does Johnny Manziel getting paid to sign his name hurt the sanctity of the game? Or Ohio State football players selling their own property? Students on scholarship for literally any other skill can profit off that skill and not lose their scholarship, why is athletics any different? Why can't AJ Hammons shoot a commercial for a couple hundred bucks for Mike Raisor, or Yogi Ferrell make an appearance at Kilroys for some cash? Seriously, what does that hurt?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Do I think the NCAA needs to make some changes? Absolutely.

Do I think players should be paid by the schools? Absolutely not.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You bring up some good points, paying athletes would make the difference between the haves and have-nots a lot bigger, and would make being a Purdue fan basically pointless (could never outbid schools with richer boosters etc, although is that really so different from how it is now?). But it is unfair that these kids (in football especially) put their bodies on the line and then most often get discarded without compensation. As for that "free education" here is an example of how that often works in practice, even for kids motivated and prepared to get educated who are at "good schools":

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-...e-class/191193

edit: better link:
    http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2...oing-to-class/

By the way interships cant just be working for free. There are regulations about an unpaid internship can entail, which are now starting to be enforced--some students sued Fox films (I think) successfully on this point.
    I'm sure there are some instances like that, but "often," really? I doubt that's true. I still don't understand the "o compensation part either. Free tuition, housing, clothes, food, tutors, etc. isn't any sort of benefit? If its so unfair them why do so many kids continue to do it? Why are there walk-ons every year who do it without all the perks of being a scholarship athlete?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I think they should, but I'm not about to pretend I know how, I'm nowhere near that smart. We're too far gone to make it a viable option, be it Title IX or that a lot of the profits fund sports that aren't football and mens basketball. But I do wish there were a fair way to cut the players in on the MASSIVE profits. And who cares about the haves and have nots? Blue bloods with big boosters could give the kids a bunch of money and get the best players...which is different from what happens now?

But I think it's completely ludicrous they aren't allowed to profit off their person. How does Johnny Manziel getting paid to sign his name hurt the sanctity of the game? Or Ohio State football players selling their own property? Students on scholarship for literally any other skill can profit off that skill and not lose their scholarship, why is athletics any different? Why can't AJ Hammons shoot a commercial for a couple hundred bucks for Mike Raisor, or Yogi Ferrell make an appearance at Kilroys for some cash? Seriously, what does that hurt?
    Most colleges athletic departments don't even profit that all that much, especially compared to how much they make.

Just 23 of 228 athletics departments at NCAA Division I public schools generated enough money on their own to cover their expenses in 2012. Of that group, 16 also received some type of subsidy — and 10 of those 16 athletics departments received more subsidy money in 2012 than they did in 2011.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...idies/2142443/

I do fin it hard to argue against autographs, etc. It will put a bigger gap between the big schools and everyone else, but it doesn't seem right that they cannot sell a signature for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

Definitely.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think schools should pay athletes. But much like Olympic athletes who are 'amateurs,' I feel like college athletes should be entitled to make money off their name. That includes jersey sales, autographs, any ad revenue, etc. I find it entirely unfair (as did Jay Bilas) that NCAA sells jerseys with these guys numbers on it and yet the player gets no cut of that. The athletes get 'paid' in scholarships, so that can remain intact, especially for the guys who won't register from a marketing standpoint.

Likewise, if an agent wants to buy an athlete something, then so be it. Again, if the player is good enough to warrant that attention, why punish the athlete for that?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

This is how I feel. The athletes should be able to get paid to be in video games or be in commercials or sign autographs and all of that, but the schools shouldn't be bidding on the players and turning it into a minor league.

If the Brand/Isch-era NCAA were facing this, they'd have definitely handled it a lot from the PR standpoint. After Emmert took over, he pushed out a lot of good people and put in peeps who who could only wish to be in their shoes. They've lost a LOT of good people down at 1 NCAA Plaza over the last few years...
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I look at it this way, they are getting paid a salary tuition, books, housing, food, and some spending money. It is basically just like any other job, where the employees are making the bosses and companies a ton of money and not seeing the majority of it. What I would say is that if there is any overhead after the year, they could give some type of yearly bonus spreading it out to all of the employees like some companies do, but I doubt it would be much though, maybe I am wrong. But even with that said many companies don't even do that so it is what it is.

A few differences, unlike real jobs they can't jump from job to job whenever they like, and they can't move up within the company, and they can not have side jobs. So maybe that negates some of my argument, but nope, I think they should not get paid, but I do feel their stipend amount should be increased.
    Why so SERIOUS

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Absolutely. Athletes bring a LOT of money to their schools. They should get something for that.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

It is one thing to not pay them cause they are supposed to be there to learn, not to get paid, but restricting gifts and payment for items owned by the person is just ridiculous. There is absolutely nothing wrong with selling personal items no matter how those items were received, or receiving gifts. Although I do honestly understand the NCAA not wanting them to do public appearance and commercial type of stuff as that can get into territory that it reflects back on the schools. Let's be honest if you are doing that kind of stuff you are doing it as a member of that schools team, and you are starting to get into a grey area between amateur and professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Absolutely. Athletes bring a LOT of money to their schools. They should get something for that.
    How is tuition, housing, food, clothes, tutors, etc. not getting anything? No they don't get money in their pockets, but they damn sure have a lot less coming out than other students. Graduating to either millions from professional leagues or zero debt is huge.

As far as autographs, etc. I can't really say I think that shouldn't be allowed. I'll say this though, I kind of like that they can't because as soon as its allowed college sports will go downhill. All the big schools will get tons of exposure and recruits.
    Last edited by ECKrueger; 08-12-2013 at 10:21 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

When did a full ride scholarship become something to be taken for granted? $120k over four years is nothing to sneeze at. It's a hell of a lot more than I ever got to go to school.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

4 year scholarships very rarely exist, the vast majority are on a yearly basis. don't perform up to your coach's standards and you're gone. y'know, like it's a job or something.

I don't know for a fact, but I don't think many players get their scholarship pulled after the year very often. It might happen more than I realize I suppose. I'd guess the majority get all four years or however many they want until they go pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    4 year scholarships very rarely exist, the vast majority are on a yearly basis. don't perform up to your coach's standards and you're gone. y'know, like it's a job or something.
    Yeah, it is. It's a job they pay you more than $40k a year to perform. That's now not enough despite most people paying(not earning) $40k a year to handle those extra responsibilities like "class work" while preparing for a career that would pay them 10% what a career in the pros would.

If we're truly being honest about it, the only ones who truly lose net worth from not being paid to play college ball are the ones who already have enough ability to have a well-above-average pro career. Except players like Hansbrough, Tebow and Johnny Football. I don't feel sorry for guys that bust out of a net worth of $20 million, and thinking, "if only they were getting paid what they deserve to play college sports" because that's childish. It diminishes the value of being a pro athlete if you pay star college players the millions they "deserve" to play mediocre sports.

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    I don't know for a fact, but I don't think many players get their scholarship pulled after the year very often. It might happen more than I realize I suppose. I'd guess the majority get all four years or however many they want until they go pro.
    The ones that gat pulled rarely get pulled for "performance reasons". Most get kicked for not being able to hold grades.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

For the better part, let's get rid of the student/athlete tag. A good portion of these kids barely make the grade for admission to a college. A lot of them simply don't. Academically ineligible ?? Does that happen to the 'real students' ?? Hell no. There's so much of a double standard if a kid is physically gifted. Let's just accept the fact of what they are. They're there because they help their particular program, which leads to wins, which leads to more $$$. The NCAA system is more of a feeder league to the pros than it is to educate the players. They're used for the time they are there, they generate money for the system, then they usually leave without a job in the pro leagues and without a useable education.

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    How is tuition, housing, food, clothes, tutors, etc. not getting anything? No they don't get money in their pockets, but they damn sure have a lot less coming out than other students. Graduating to either millions from professional leagues or zero debt is huge.

As far as autographs, etc. I can't really say I think that shouldn't be allowed. I'll say this though, I kind of like that they can't because as soon as its allowed college sports will go downhill. All the big schools will get tons of exposure and recruits.
    Actually, they do. They get upwards of $4000 per semester. That isn't funds designed for rent, no, that's on top of all that jazz. They get tuitition/books/food/rent and then another $4000.

And Title IX probably puts paying athletes out of the question. The amount given to the high profile sports, like football, would have to be matched dollar for dollar to go to women athletes. USC might be able to pay their football players a $20,000 per year, or whatever the amount would be, but I doubt they'll want to pay a woman track athlete that same $20,000 and they're legally obligated to do so.
    Last edited by Since86; 08-30-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    For the better part, let's get rid of the student/athlete tag. A good portion of these kids barely make the grade for admission to a college. A lot of them simply don't. Academically ineligible ?? Does that happen to the 'real students' ?? Hell no. There's so much of a double standard if a kid is physically gifted. Let's just accept the fact of what they are. They're there because they help their particular program, which leads to wins, which leads to more $$$. The NCAA system is more of a feeder league to the pros than it is to educate the players. They're used for the time they are there, they generate money for the system, then they usually leave without a job in the pro leagues and without a useable education.
    You'd think, but no. The vast majority of student athletes aren't high profile athletes like football or basketball. Most of them are swimmers/track/golf/tennis and they usually have a much higher academic standing than football/basketball.

We tend to look through the lens at this problem just concerning two high profile level sports (football and basketball) when the issue goes much, much deeper than that.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

We know Purdue football players shouldn't be paid...