Thread: Austin Collie to sign with the 49ers

Default Austin Collie to sign with the 49ers

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp1...ar-source-says

Wide receiver Austin Collie will sign a one-year deal with the San Francisco 49ers, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Collie is working his way back from a knee injury that cost him all but a game last season with the Indianapolis Colts. He also has suffered three serious concussions in his career and told USA Today Sports in June that he would sign a waiver if required in order to play.

"I'll sign a waiver, all right?" he told USA Today. "They're not going to have to worry about me suing. I'll hold myself to be accountable ..."

"I just need that closure. When I feel like I accomplish everything I want to accomplish, I'll have no problem walking away from the game. But I have more to give."

Collie has 173 career receptions in 42 regular-season games (16 starts), totaling 1,845 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Austin Collie to sign with the 49ers

Wow he needs to just retire...he's gonna seriously hurt himself.

Wish him all the best but it's to the point now where I'm nervous to watch him.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wish him all the best but it's to the point now where I'm nervous to watch him.
    Indeed, it's like the Oden situation with far more dire potential consequences. But he's been told the risks multiple times, he knows what he's doing, so good luck I suppose.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Well, it won't be on Indy's conscience when Austin Collie can't take care of himself at 40. I don't say that to be mean or funny, but because I fear that's what will happen.

With all the negative attention that the NFL gets about concussions, you would think they could somehow step in and say 'Enough'. Yeah, I know the Labor Union would step in and all sorts of things would be filed for Collie, but if they truly have the player's best interest in mind, they wouldn't even let him sign a waiver to play.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    With all the negative attention that the NFL gets about concussions, you would think they could somehow step in and say 'Enough'. Yeah, I know the Labor Union would step in and all sorts of things would be filed for Collie, but if they truly have the player's best interest in mind, they wouldn't even let him sign a waiver to play.
    With all the litigation upcoming, him playing might actually help the NFL. They can say, "Look, these players know they're at risk but they want to play anyway. If we bar them from playing then they'll just try and hide their injuries. What else can we do?"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

How many has he had? I think even Troy Aikman had more but it just seems that Collie gets them so easy now.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    How many has he had?
    3 ?? Ask him - though he may not be able to tell you either.

It's just a shame that he had those concussions. This guy was an incredibly good young talent. He had great chemistry with Manning and obviously would have been able to develop a good vibe with Luck too.

He was definitely one of the best picks in the last five years of the Polian era. Polian hit it out of the park with him, but unfortunately those awful concussions got in the way of what could have been a great career.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Good luck to Austin as he is a good hearted soul.

My one Collie camp story.... Many times as players were signing autographs they would get caught in a situation where they wanted to or needed to quit signing but just kept at it because they didn't want to look bad (and because they cared about fans too). I would help the vets sometimes when it looked like they needed an out by coming up to a player and announcing they had meetings to go to. Players would usually sign a few more and say they had to get going. I'd get a wink and nod for the help as they went on their way. On this particular time Austin was a rookie and had been signing for a LONG LONG time but didn't have the heart to excuse himself. I thought I would do him a favor and made such an announcement. It didn't occur to me as a rookie he looks at me and asks "where am I suppose to go and when's the meeting)? I had to quietly let him know he really didn't have a meeting and this was just something we do for the vets. He looked confused and said he was ok and went back to signing. Like all rookies he did learn from the experience, but he was a guy that spent a considerable time interacting with the fans.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the guy is an idiot to risk it, but to each his own. Now hopefully he does not become one of those players 10 years down the road trying to sue the NFL then this should be a no story.

I hope the guy has a healthy remainder to his career, but I just do not see him doing that. My worst fear is seeing the guy turned mush out there one game because of a hit.