Thread: An Interesting Stat.

Default An Interesting Stat.

Turn-Overs per game. There's an individual stat that I hardly ever pay attention to. But, the other day, I heard a coach bring out the old cliche about "we need to cut down turnovers." Check out the list of the top 20 most turnover prone:
    per game total
    1. Kobe Bryant 4.66 149
    2. Dwyane Wade4.09 143
    3. Richard Jefferson4.00 132
    4. Steve Francis 3.88 128
    5. Allen Iverson 4.13 128
    6. Antoine Walker 3.72 119
    7. LeBron James 3.42 113
    8. Stephon Marbury 3.17 111
    9. Steve Nash 3.14 110
    10. Corey Maggette 3.37 101
    11. Shaquille O'Neal 2.78 100
    12. Yao Ming 3.03 100
    13. Tony Parker 2.75 99
    14. Carmelo Anthony 3.50 98
    15. Paul Pierce 2.80 98
    16. Carlos Boozer 2.67 96
    17. Kevin Garnett 2.91 96
    18. Al Harrington 3.00 96
    19. Jamaal Tinsley 3.43 96
    20. Pau Gasol 2.88 95

On the one hand, the list makes sense. It should be weighted toward PG's, since they spend more time handing the ball. Also, it should have its fair share of stars, since only a terrific player could turn the ball over so much and still stay on the floor. Also, good players on bad teams claim high positions because they're pushing to make something happen for the team (Kobe, for example, towers over the rest of the list -- he's also averaging nearly 2 more per game than his career average). But there are some things that surprised me:

-Only Tinsley from the Pacers sneaked into the bottom of this list. And he is ranked well below some of the best PGs in the league.
    -Two guys who should definitely not be putting the ball on the floor much, Shaq and Yao, are both on the list.
    -The Hawks have 2 guys on the list, which might explain why they stink.
    -But the Heat also have two guys on the list, who just happen to be their 2 best players as well.
    -Duncan has almost a full fewer turnovers per game than Garnett or Randolph.

A few other stats of note:
    -The P's don't have a single player in the top 50 of Efficiency rankings or in rebounds.
    -David Harrison is in the top ten for scoring among rookies and in the top 15 for rebounds.
    -Once again we have a player in the top 10 for free throw percentages, but this year that person is Croshere. None of the other P's (including Reggie) are in the top 50.
    -Tins remains in the top 5 in apg and spg.

Not sure what it all means, but numbers make me happy sometimes.

Sports Logo

Default Re: An Interesting Stat.

Foster would be 4th in rebounding but he has not played in enough games for the NBA to count him in the averages. His 11.4 is in between the current 3rd and 4th place.

Jo would lead in scoring, but has not enough games, Reggie would lead in FT's but has not enough games...

we CAN continue
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Another thing to note is that if you go by turnovers per game rather than total turnovers (a more accurate indicator), Tinsley is 6th in the league in turnovers.

Under normal circumstances I would say that is totally unacceptable but considering the inconsistent lineups the Pacers have played and the number of inexperienced players that have played major minutes (JJ and Harrison), it's not much of a surprise. Tinsley's assists have continued to drop and his turnovers continue to increase since the suspensions went into effect.

Hopefully, things will start to balance out a bit after SJax returns.

Artest would lead the league in FT %. well I just made that up, not sure if he would lead, but I think he was shooting 93%

While Ron was at .922 (47 - 51) Reggies is at .942 (49 - 52)

staggering precentages though, for both.

and to add to that, Reg should be on top of that list now, he has the minimum required number of FT's attempted to be in the category (FT's is dependant on FT's taken, not games played)

If JO keeps his current avg up he will be in the stats withing 10 - 15 games.

He would be 3d overall in scoring atm.
    He would also be in the top 10 in EFF
    top 10 in Bpg
    top 10 in Rbpg

_PD_

In addition to handling the ball a lot, most of those guys play big time minutes. Some of those guys need to play big minutes in order for their teams to succeed. I think this is the reason they're still on the floor. They probably don't commit too many TOs based on minutes played. I bet there are lots of players averaging under 10 mpg who would blow the doors off these stats on a per minute basis.
    As I recall, people were frequently astonished at how many points/rebounds George McGinnis used to get in games, but then they were asked "and how many turnovers did he have?" Perhaps he even led the league. Certainly Babe Ruth used to lead the league in strikeouts. Individual turnovers ARE an interesting stat, but with all stats, you have to apply some judgment and analysis I think.

Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jo would lead in scoring, but has not enough games, Reggie would lead in FT's but has not enough games...

we CAN continue
    Pacers would lead the league with their record but don't have enough wins...

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden