Thread: My guess for today's trade involving the Pacers is...

Hybrid View

Default My guess for today's trade involving the Pacers is...

nothing.

I would be shocked if something was done. To be honest this is one of the few years that an arguement could be made that a trade doesn't have to be made.

Do we have weaknesses? Yep.

Could we shore up a weakness with a trade? Without a doubt.

Could we destroy any kind of chemistry that might exist with this team if we do make a trade, even one that makes sense? Absolutely.

Here's my take on it.

If nothing happens, which is what I expect, then as long as we can make it out of the first round this summer will be relatively quiet.

If we get bounced out again in the first round then the team will need a serious overhall. No matter how good the regular season record is, you can't keep losing in the first round.

I would think the only players that should feel secure if that happens is O'Neal & Artest & probably Miller.

As we start to close out the season I still have the same questions about this team that I had last summer. Center spot & guard play.

Fred Jones has made good strides in his second year & Reggie has at least bounced back to decent form.

A.J. is one of the most valuable players on this team, not because of his floor participaton per say, but he is a true leader on this team.

Anderson has been competent, that is to say he is dull. Which isn't a bad thing really.

Jamaal changed the season when he came in. Till he came in our forwards were winning games in spite of our guard play. But Jamaals court vision & his suprising shooting changed the season & he made Reggie Miller better. But of late he's kind of hit the wall again.

I still don't feel great about any of our guards.

But for as bad as I feel abour our guard play I feel that much worse about our center spot.

Jeff Foster has done a decent job. But he is a backup, nothing more nothing less. You will not win a title playing Jeff Foster at center big min.
    He get's boards but he cannot bang with the big boys successfully.

Scot Pollard has had 5 good games. I've actually been contemplating whether or not Scot shouldn't be starting right now. But let's not get carried away, he still is not a starting caliber center.

Primoz ed:

O'Neal. Here's the rub. He can & does play center. He actually plays it very well. However when he does play center it takes away from his game which he excells at.

Which brings us to what U.B. & I have discussed all season long. Is a lineup of Al, Ron & J.O. big enough & tough enough to advance deep into the playoffs?

I think they can, but I'm not confident they can.

I just am afraid that a big physical teams (N.Y., Detroit, N.O.) will just abuse us & we will see a throwback to players standing around harping at refs. looking for calls.

But then again they may very well be good enough. A lot of that is going to depend on Al. Is he willing to play the power forward spot & pretend that he is his old buddy Antonio? (God knows I would prefer him to be like Dale but it's just not in him) Meaning getting rebounds, setting picks & being an asset on offense but not the focus of it?

I hope he does, but I'm not sure.

I think we go through the day like we go through on the vast majority of trade days, with nothing happeing, & in this case it's hard to argue that it was a horrid mistake.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: My guess for today's trade involving the Pacers is...

It's a horrid mistake.

If we don't get bigger, then we have to pray that injuries happen to teams like NO to help us out. Teams have figured us out and know how to exploit our interior play now. We must do something to either strengthen it or improve the gaurds to take the pressure off the middle...even that is risky because they can still pack the middle and dare us to continue shooting over them. We need to get bigger inside and get JO some help at the 5.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There you went and jinx it Scott...I'd been thinking JJ/BB could happen but wasn't saying anything in fear of bad karma...too late now.

It's all your fault.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Which brings us to what U.B. & I have discussed all season long. Is a lineup of Al, Ron & J.O. big enough & tough enough to advance deep into the playoffs?

I think they can, but I'm not confident they can.
    Exactly how I feel. Which has me torn as to whether we should make a move involving Al.

Teams have figured us out and know how to exploit our interior play now. We must do something to either strengthen it or improve the gaurds to take the pressure off the middle...even that is risky because they can still pack the middle and dare us to continue shooting over them.
    If you recall, this is exactly what happened to us in December. But we rebounded in January, due to the infusion of Tins into the lineup. As Peck said, Jamaal changed the season when he came in. But of late he's kind of hit the wall again.

This has me concerned.

If either Jamaal or Al aren't in top form for the playoffs, it's an early off-season for us. If Tins plays well, but Al doesn't, we're done. If Al plays well, but Tins doesn't, we're done (unless A.J. or Freddie step up and have monumental showings). Kinda scary, huh? Both these guys are extremely streaky and the playoffs draw out like a blade. You just have to cross your fingers or hold your breath or pray (whichever works for you) that they both show up, and if they do, can maintain that level of play for an extended playoff run. If either one doesn't...

Peck, I cannot disagree with one word of your post.

I wonder how the Pacers are 39-15. But they are and I don't think it is a fluke.

I credit great and I mean great coaching.

And I credit the sustained excellence of Artest and J.O.

I compare the pacers to the Spurs in a lot of ways. The spurs have a lot of weaknesses also, but they have great coaching and of course Duncan

The Pacers and Spurs demonstrate what coaching, chemistry, having the right mix of players and one really great player.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As much as I'd like Damp, I'd rather have the pair from Seattle. I'm not sold that Claxton is/ can be any better for the Pacers than Tinsley. And I'm concerned about Damp's "rental" status.

I like Al - I've always been a big fan and one of the reasons I was originally so resistant to Artest was that I believed Al was/ should be a better SF than Artest. My opinion has changed this season - IF (and its a big "IF" - this season isn't a fluke from Artest in terms of behavior.) But I'm not opposed to moving him as part of a package if we get a wide body in the middle and a better perimeter shooter (preferably in the backcourt.)

Ultimately, I think DW and Bird will play it safe, we'll advance to the ECF, and everyone will call the season a success.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Not that it will happen, but:

Indiana trades: PG Kenny Anderson (6.3 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 2.9 apg in 23.2 minutes)
    PF Primoz Brezec (1.2 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 3.8 minutes)
    PF Austin Croshere (5.0 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.9 minutes)
    Indiana receives: C Dale Davis (5.6 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 27.2 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -6.9 ppg, +0.4 rpg, and -2.3 apg.

Portland trades: C Dale Davis (5.6 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 27.2 minutes)
    Portland receives: PG Kenny Anderson (6.3 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 2.9 apg in 30 games)
    PF Primoz Brezec (1.2 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 14 games)
    PF Austin Croshere (5.0 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.5 apg in 50 games)
    Change in team outlook: +6.9 ppg, -0.4 rpg, and +2.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Austin certainly helps Portland with their image rebuilding - team player, never any trouble, etc. And he's been playing well as of late. But that contract...
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Default This won't be a popular post, but...

how will it go over if Dale comes here and struggles to understand his role like Pollard did?

Especially since he'll be playing in front of people that fondly remember the younger, better, more effective Dale Davis.

Some fans will be demanding he plays, or gets more PT, based on his "legacy" and will have a hard time admitting that he might not be able to beat out Foster for a starting position now.

I think that could be a disaster. At least Reggie generally kept the pouting, moody version of Dale under wraps, so I'm not worried about his greedy/ me-first behavior if we pick him up. My concerns are solely basketball related.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Default Re: This won't be a popular post, but...

how will it go over if Dale comes here and struggles to understand his role like Pollard did?.
    If we deal Austin for him, then our worst case scenario is that we got rid of Austin's contract. I like Austin the player.

As for Dale, I'm kind of neutral on him right now. Having a big, strong defender and rebounder is something we need. But, man, I hate the I-want-my-minutes crap he's been pulling. Whining and causing distractions I don't like or want that on my team. But if he cuts that crap out and plays like a man on the court, then I'll take him.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Well, my guess was correct.

Did anybody really think we'd do anything? ed:

Let's just hope that Wallace gets busted with pot as he exits the plane in Detroit.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Good call.

Though hardly mind-boggling.