Thread: Eagles WR Riley Cooper was caught on camera using the n-word

Default Eagles WR Riley Cooper was caught on camera using the n-word

Yeah I wouldn't expect Michael Vick to throw you the rock anytime soon. Not a good summer for the University of Florida...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...mment/related/

Earlier today, a video surfaced of Eagles receiver Riley Cooper using one of the ugliest words in the English language.

We weren’t entirely sure that it was Cooper, so we waited to address it. Cooper has now addressed it, with an apology.

“I am so ashamed and disgusted with myself,” Cooper said in a statement released by the team. “I want to apologize. I have been offensive. I have apologized to my coach, to Jeffrey Lurie, to Howie Roseman and to my teammates. I owe an apology to the fans and to this community. I am so ashamed, but there are no excuses. What I did was wrong and I will accept the consequences.”

The video was first posted by CrossingBroad.com. In it, Cooper says, “I will jump that fence and fight every n—– in here.”

Cooper is being counted on to step up in 2013, now that receiver Jeremy Maclin is out for the year. Instead, he has provided the organization with an unwanted distraction that may only go away when Cooper does.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Eagles WR Riley Cooper was caught on camera using the n-word

Marcus Vick put a bounty on him for $1,000, hah. Like Marcus Vick has $1,000.

In an NFL locker room, this word is probably said many times every day, I doubt many of his team mates will hold a grudge over it

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Probably not by white guys at a country music concert in a hateful context.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In an NFL locker room, this word is probably said many times every day, I doubt many of his team mates will hold a grudge over it
    Perhaps, but the word isn't being used as a racial epithet. African Americans have taken a hateful term and used it in a non-hateful manner to blunt its impact. Many persecuted groups have done this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jukeb0xHero View Post
    Marcus Vick put a bounty on him for $1,000, hah. Like Marcus Vick has $1,000.
    And Michael called him ignorant for it

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jukeb0xHero View Post
    Probably not by white guys at a country music concert in a hateful context.
    I didn't watch the video, did he say it at a country music concet

He said "I will fight every n***** in here" because a black security guard wouldn't let him backstage at a Kenny Chesney show. Pretty much no way of making it look harmless.

Does anyone else think there's a little bit of overkill going on with this ?? Granted - he simply shouldn't have said it, but the mediots are blowing this just a bit out of proportion (IMHFO).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Does anyone else think there's a little bit of overkill going on with this ?? Granted - he simply shouldn't have said it, but the mediots are blowing this just a bit out of proportion (IMHFO).
    He's a dumbass pure and simple and there's nothing denying that. He has the freedom of speech to say this, and everybody else has the freedom to hate his guts for saying it. People saying he should be banned from football are outrageous as are the people from the opposite end which hardly exist now but still do in dark corners. Michael Vick was very smart to back the guy, he's shortly removed from that horrible dog fighting/killing scheme, if he had lashed hatred in public towards this guy, it would not look good.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

RILEY COOPER'S GRANDMA
    He Made His Racist Bed
    ... He's Gotta Sleep In It
    EXCLUSIVE
    N-word hurling Philadelphia Eagles player Riley Cooper isn't getting any sympathy from his own grandma -- who tells TMZ, Cooper screwed up big time ... and it's his mess to clean up.

Riley's Grandma Betty didn't make excuses when we spoke to her ... saying, "[Riley] brought it upon himself and he has to deal with the consequences."

As we reported, Cooper has already taken leave from the Eagles to pursue counseling after his n-word threat at a recent Kenny Chesney concert -- when he said he would fight "every n***er" at the show.

Grandma says Riley was raised in a good household that never condoned racism of any kind -- so she's surprised by his behavior, especially because she says he's never gotten into any kind of trouble before.

That said, Grandma Betty is optimistic about Riley's future, telling us it's good he's nipping this problem in the bud now before it gets any worse.

Granny B, everybody!

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/03/riley-...#ixzz2avUBZEd6

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-of-extortion/

Eagles suggest Riley Cooper may have been victim of extortion

Just when the most bizarre offseason story (not involving murder or dogfighting) in recent memory seems that it can’t get any more bizarre, it does.

In response to a report that Eagles receiver Riley Cooper knew about the video that emerged on Wednesday before it emerged, the Eagles have issued a statement acknowledging that Cooper was aware of something regarding the video.

“Riley Cooper made us aware of the tweets when the video became public,” the team said in a statement. “He told us that he did not know about the video. He informed us he blocked the tweets because he did not know the person nor understand the context of what that person was threatening. We promptly alerted NFL Security. This information potentially speaks to a legal issue that is a matter between Riley and the authorities. Our focus has been on Riley’s words and actions.”

If you’re confused, you’ve got company. Cooper sensed that there was something unusual with the tweets that apparently made not-so-cryptic references to what he had said at a Kenny Chesney concert on June 9. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have blocked the users sending him the messages. (For those not conversant in Twitter, “tweets” aren’t blocked. Users are blocked, preventing them from following or posting messages directed to the user who has blocked them.)

The statement from the Eagles indicates that Cooper said nothing about the tweets he received until the video surfaced. Still, if someone asked Cooper for money in exchange for not releasing the video and Cooper didn’t pay and the video then was released, the persons who released the video could be charged with extortion.

On the surface, it’s a separate issue for the team and for Cooper. As we pointed out earlier today, however, any knowledge Cooper had before the video was released that the story inevitably would break gives a different feel to the words he uttered in the aftermath of the video’s release.

Everything he said after the video surfaced strongly suggested he didn’t know that what he said had been captured on camera until the video was released. While any inconsistencies on that point may not matter in the grander scheme of things, teammates trying to figure out whether they can take Cooper at his word may have a harder time doing so if they think he hasn’t been completely honest about what he knew and when he knew it regarding the video.

http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/08/detroit..._a11&eref=sihp
    Is a racial slur used between friends still a racial slur? A couple of players in the Detroit Lions’ locker room are, somewhat inadvertently, putting that question to the test.

The Detroit News‘ Terry Foster wrote Thursday about the relationship between tight end Tony Scheffler and safety Louis Delmas, a friendship which dates back to their time together at Western Michigan in 2005. Scheffler spoke very highly of Delmas for a piece that ran right here on Audibles, and the pair shares what Foster calls “one of the tightest bonds in the Lions dressing room.”

So, what to make of this …

“Hey, cracker,” Delmas often says to Scheffler inside the Lions practice facility.
    “How’s my n—–?” Scheffler replies.
    Delmas is black. Scheffler is white.

Delmas said there is a difference between using slurs in public and doing it behind closed doors with a close friend you consider a brother, even if the brother is white.
    “Me and [Scheffler] have a relationship many people do not have — both black and white,” Delmas said. “I look at him like my brother. I love him to death.
    “He greets me, ‘What up, n—–?’ But I understand it. So I say, ‘What’s up, cracker?’ But we would never take it outside the building.”
    In an increasingly-PC world, the lighthearted back and forth between Scheffler and Delmas seems to walk a very tenuous line. The recent incident involving Eagles WR Riley Cooper, in which he was caught on tape using the n-word and was subsequently excused from Eagles practices for a few days to undergo counseling, turned Cooper into something of a pariah, even within the Philadelphia locker room.

Scheffler’s use of that taboo word is Delmas-approved and done in a much more affectionate manner. But does that make it OK?
    Hmmmmmmm .....................

They refer to the N word here as n*****.

But CRACKER is clearly spelled out. Interesting.
    Last edited by PacerDude; 08-08-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's really sad that we live in a world where what friends call each other needs to be parsed and judged by complete strangers on the internet. I would hate for the author to exercise a little common sense and realize the difference between a derogatory put down and playful banter.

This is getting blown wayyyyy out of proportion. Do you know how many black people in the NFL use this word? A lot, and now that white person used it there is talk of him getting released or suspended? Come on now, now in no way I am saying its ok, but it has seriously gotten out of hand

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This is getting blown wayyyyy out of proportion. Do you know how many black people in the NFL use this word? A lot, and now that white person used it there is talk of him getting released or suspended? Come on now, now in no way I am saying its ok, but it has seriously gotten out of hand
    the only people it's still an issue for is the media, it's first week of preseason, gotta talk about something. I'm sure the Eagles have moved on, get this weekend's games outta the way and so will everyone else.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-in-practice/

Riley Cooper, Cary Williams scuffle in practice

The Eagles have largely been able to move beyond the initial surge of controversy about wide receiver Riley Cooper’s use of a racial slur which was captured on videotape.

But whether that had anything to do with today’s action or not, they better brace themselves for another wave.

According to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Cooper was involved in a practice fight with teammate Cary Williams Thursday morning after the two were matched up in one-on-one drills. Several players, including quarterback Michael Vick, had to separate the two.

Here’s what we don’t know about the fight — pretty much anything else.

Practice fights aren’t uncommon, and neither are fights involving Cary Williams.

But because of the personalities involved, there’s going to be natural curiosity about the subtext.

Williams was one of the players who admitted being disturbed by Cooper’s use of the mother of all racial epithets.

“I think there’s no place for that word in anybody’s language, in anybody’s mouth or off anybody’s tongue, whether you’re black, white, green, purple, blue,” Williams said in the immediate. “It’s still the same meaning, it’s still a harsh word.”

But until we know more about what happened on the field this morning, it’s impossible to know if the past had anything to do with the present tensions.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

lol @ that broke-*** barely-literate fool Marcus Vick offering multimillionaires $1,000 to take out Cooper. I might raise $2,000 and pay it to the first person to punch him in the mouth.