Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broncos Odds On Favorite By Vegas. Really???

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Broncos Odds On Favorite By Vegas. Really???

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And yet you agree with the pundits apparently.

He's partly to blame but I fail to see how it was all his fault that that the defense couldn't stop Drew Brees or the failed coverage on the onside kick. We played not to lose the Saints played to win therefore they did. Conservative playcalling gets you everytime.

As much as that loss sucked it was probably for the best long term for the Colts otherwise we'd have been stuck with Caldwell/Polian even longer.
    How does giving my opinion that he was largely at fault for that superbowl equate to agreeing with the pundits that everything is superbowl or bust for individual accomplishment? Also, I didn't say it was solely on Peyton alone, but I'll argue that a majority of the blame should go to him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know what percentage of blame to lay on him, but he was certainly outplayed by Brees.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-17-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    I can see the Peyton blame for the Saints game on first glance. 17 points against the Saints D that was not the strength of their team is not a great result for a hall of fame QB. Then of course you add in the pick 6, and I can see why some would blame Peyton.

When looking at it a little further though, I think Peyton is much less to blame. The Colts only had 8 drives in that entire game. That is really low for an NFL game. The average starting field position for the Colts was the 16.625 yard line which is awful. Garcon dropped a very easy catch on 3rd down that killed one possession, they got stuffed running the ball on 3rd and 1 on a drive that started at their own 1, and they missed a long field goal.

Manning played well the vast majority of that game. He did make the one huge mistake, and the Colts did have to settle for field goals in a couple of places so I wouldn't put the game on his highlight reel, but I wouldn't really blame him either. It really was a game that went true to form. Both offenses dominated like everyone expected, and it came down to who could come up with the one key special teams/defense play. The Saints ended up making both of them (the onside kick, the pick 6) and that won them the game. The point totals weren't that high, but that's only because both teams were going on long drive after long drive.
    Those aspects of the game were certainly important, but it also came down to who could come up with the one key offensive drive at the end of the game. With the score tied at 17 late in the fourth quarter, Brees drove his team down the field to take a 24-17 lead and put the pressure on the Colts. When attempting to tie the game on the following possession, Manning made the costly pick six. The Saints' offense was able to come up with a crucial drive in crunch time. The Colts were not. So basically, the Saints trumped us in all three aspects of the game in the second half.

I don't put as much blame on Manning for the loss as pogi does. That being said, 17 points in 8 offensive possessions still isn't very much. There were certainly plenty of factors for that outside of Manning: Garcon drop, missed FG, stuffed on 3rd and 1, etc. But when the game was on the line in the fourth quarter, the Saints' offense came up with a clutch drive while ours threw a pick 6. There were a ton of factors that went into us losing that game, but Brees outplaying Manning in crunch time was certainly one of the big ones. Manning definitely didn't play that bad or anything, but at the end of the day he was outplayed by the opposing quarterback.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-17-2013 at 11:22 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    How does giving my opinion that he was largely at fault for that superbowl equate to agreeing with the pundits that everything is superbowl or bust for individual accomplishment? Also, I didn't say it was solely on Peyton alone, but I'll argue that a majority of the blame should go to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post

But on the flip side, I felt it was strickly HIS fault we failed against New Orleans in the Super Bowl.
    You said he was strictly at fault so how is that not sole blame?

Not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion but yes you are solely blaming him. What else is anyone supposed to think here?

I mean which is it? And yes you would agree with the pundits here because he was solely blamed for that SB loss.

Besides anyone who lets pundits dictate what they think of a player and how good they are don't really have minds of their own to see for themselves. Its like saying Marino was a crap QB because he never won an SB which is crap but pundits will say how disappointing he was for it got to keep that narrative going. Like Brady being clutch and always winning even though he hasn't won an SB in nearly a decade but he has 3 rings so he can coast on past reputation. (this last part isn't so much directed at you just a general observation on my part)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    You said he was strictly at fault so how is that not sole blame?
    My bad...I didn't realize I worded it like that til after I've read it....

But I still feel that a majority of blame should go his way. Not all, but alot.