Thread: Saunders waived, rugby player Daniel Adogo signed

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Saunders waived, rugby player Daniel Adogo signed

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...nclick_check=1

The addition of Adongo is all about potential. He’s a 6-5, 257-pound outside linebacker prospect who most recently was with the Southern Kings of Super 15 Rugby, the highest level of pro rugby in the world.

“He is not only an elite athlete and rising international rugby player, but he is an exceptional competitor and human being that has the right makeup for our sport,” general manager Ryan Grigson said in a statement released by the team. “We all look forward to watching his growth and development in the ensuing weeks.”

Adongo joins a loaded outside linebacker mix. It includes projected starters Robert Mathis and Erik Walden, first-round draft pick Bjoern Werner, Lawrence Sidbury, Monte Simmons, Justin Hickman, Quinton Spears and Caesar Rayford.

The Colts generally carried only four outside linebackers on their active roster last season. Adongo’s development might include a stint on the practice squad this season.

Adongo, a 23-year old Kenyan national, is a 2006 graduate of Strathmore High School in Nairobi who attended the University of South Africa the following year.

Adongo’s rugby resume includes playing in the 2012 Varsity Cup for the University of Pretoria Tuks, the Vodacom Blue Bulls and the New Zealand ITM Cup team Counties Manukau.
    So he's apparently never played football, hell probably never even touched one. Probably a shot in the dark at getting a special teams stud, best case scenario.

Default Re: Saunders waived, rugby player Daniel Adogo signed

He's a second row so it should help our lineouts at least.

I like it. Looking at his highlight films, he is really aggressive when he rucks and hits hard. It's worth a shot. Losing Saunders won't hurt.

Just reminding everyone that Saunders was already facing an 8 game suspension. Not surprising that the Colts cut him loose.

A rugby player? Why not. And let's get an Icelandic strongman too, while we're at it.

I wonder how they decided on OLB for Adongo.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

never heard of this dude, but he seems like a fun guy

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just reminding everyone that Saunders was already facing an 8 game suspension. Not surprising that the Colts cut him loose.

A rugby player? Why not. And let's get an Icelandic strongman too, while we're at it.

I wonder how they decided on OLB for Adongo.
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2...841245,00.html

Reading through rugby fan comments, it sounds like he wasn't the best player out there. He apparently 'sat on the bench for the worst S15 team'. They're saying he definitely has the build and strength, but lacked the ball skills. This may be the reason why he'll be playing LB. As long as he can hit ppl, I'm cool with that.

Also, it's funny how much rugby fans look down on American football :P

From a Mike Chappell article.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...how-put-helmet

“A lot of stuff I was doing in rugby correlates,” he said. “A lot of tackling. A lot of aggression. A lot of physicality.”

What does he bring to the Colts?

Servitude, loyalty, aggression, physicality and being a team man,” he said. “Being the person I am, I went with my gut feeling. If something feels right, I’m not going to dodge (it) or second-guess myself.
    Servitude? That's an interesting quality to bring to the Colts.