Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071 LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 1757

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Crean values quantity over quality. He'd rather be oversigned and have 15 players for 13 scholarships when the last 3-4 are terrible than have 11 scholarship players who are average or better. It's also why he has 4 hour practices and kills his teams every year. He doesn't know how to do anything efficiently. It's just a bunch of manic energy.
    yep, that sums him up pretty well i'd say.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

well, it looks like we got another guy. i doubt he amounts to much though.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...204041683.html
    oh and it looks like we a got a walk-on too.
    http://www.insidethehall.com/2014/07...#disqus_thread
    Last edited by clownskull; 07-08-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I feel like a bad fan. I just can't muster up the slightest bit of enthusiasm for our men's basketball program right now.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I feel like a bad fan. I just can't muster up the slightest bit of enthusiasm for our men's basketball program right now.
    I've had little faith in the program since we failed to make it out of the Sweet 16 with Zeller and Oladipo. I won't have faith in it until Crean actually takes us beyond the Sweet 16, which he has never done in his career without Dwyane Wade.

Things are looking up for IU basketball.... Everyday Crean is one day closer to his inevitable firing....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I've had little faith in the program for pretty much my whole life. I'll probably still watch the games, but I just can't get into it anymore. It just feels like no matter what IU does, it won't work out in the long run.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Emanuel Muiday (incoming SMU Freshman; top 5 player) is now expected to play overseas.

What looked to be a great non-conference contest might have lost some luster.

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Emanuel Muiday (incoming SMU Freshman; top 5 player) is now expected to play overseas.

no Muiday's a huge loss for SMU for sure, if it happens, but they're still a good team. IU'd still be the underdog.

I've had little faith in the program for pretty much my whole life. I'll probably still watch the games, but I just can't get into it anymore. It just feels like no matter what IU does, it won't work out in the long run.
    Yeah, it's basically been two decades of mediocrity/bad results aside from that one crazy run in 2002. IU lives purely on tradition at this point. It's sad how this once dominant program has become so irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yeah, it's basically been two decades of mediocrity/bad results aside from that one crazy run in 2002. IU lives purely on tradition at this point. It's sad how this once dominant program has become so irrelevant.
    I'm honestly wondering how much longer people will continue to refer to IU as a blueblood program. The five banners are nice and having the third-most of any program is a selling point, but if that number never changes it will eventually start slipping down the list. As years go by, those who have never seen IU win a national championship will increase while those who have seen more than one will start disappearing.

IU totally screwed up the end of the Bob Knight era and exacerbated it by hiring the incompetent boob known as Mike Davis, then made it worse by keeping him even after he missed the tournament back to back seasons. THEN the spineless administration caved and hired a known cheater to prove they weren't racist. The cheater then does what he does, and the program gets nuked. That made the job so undesirable that Crean was one of the very few with any sort of track record for success who would take it. We're now at a point where a home game with Southern Miss next season is cause for a "big announcement for a marquee home game" from Fred Glass and where most assume we'll be an underdog. At home, against Southern Miss, and we may not even be favored to win that game.

In other news, Crean had another cryptic tweet that may have implied some players aren't working as hard as they should be. I'd like to think that will make them work harder…but that will probably mean more 4 hour practices next season if they don't. Which will probably lead to more transfers. Which…ah, **** it.

IU basketball is like the Dallas Cowboys of college hoops. The team hasn't been a consistent winner for decades, but the fans still talk about it like it happened yesterday and we've turned into a jinx-magnet.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

I'm honestly wondering how much longer people will continue to refer to IU as a blueblood program. The five banners are nice and having the third-most of any program is a selling point, but if that number never changes it will eventually start slipping down the list. As years go by, those who have never seen IU win a national championship will increase while those who have seen more than one will start disappearing.

IU totally screwed up the end of the Bob Knight era and exacerbated it by hiring the incompetent boob known as Mike Davis, then made it worse by keeping him even after he missed the tournament back to back seasons. THEN the spineless administration caved and hired a known cheater to prove they weren't racist. The cheater then does what he does, and the program gets nuked. That made the job so undesirable that Crean was one of the very few with any sort of track record for success who would take it. We're now at a point where a home game with Southern Miss next season is cause for a "big announcement for a marquee home game" from Fred Glass and where most assume we'll be an underdog. At home, against Southern Miss, and we may not even be favored to win that game.

In other news, Crean had another cryptic tweet that may have implied some players aren't working as hard as they should be. I'd like to think that will make them work harder…but that will probably mean more 4 hour practices next season if they don't. Which will probably lead to more transfers. Which…ah, **** it.

IU basketball is like the Dallas Cowboys of college hoops. The team hasn't been a consistent winner for decades, but the fans still talk about it like it happened yesterday and we've turned into a jinx-magnet.
    Honestly, I doubt most people outside of the state still think of IU as a blueblood program.

I like the comp to Nebraska football--they haven't been mediocre quite as long as IU, but that was the program in the 90s and now they are an also-ran in the mediocre B1G. Basically what we are in basketball, except our decade of dominance was the 80s.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Interesting article in today's Herald-Times

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/spo...3e4e7231b.html

Indiana basketball
    What Coach Crean said/What the columnist heard
    Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:06 am | Updated: 9:19 am, Tue Jul 22, 2014.
    By Jeremy Price

Research indicates that what people say and what we hear are not always the same thing.

As exhibit A, I present to you: teenagers.

Exhibit B could be almost anything in the world of sports, where not only do we occasionally misinterpret what was actually said, but coach speak and cliches often make it difficult to hear what is really being said.
    It's sort of like that old game of "Telephone," where the message starts out as one thing and turns into something else entirely.

What that in mind, it might be worth revisiting Indiana basketball coach Tom Crean's rather extended mid-summer update from this past week. And we'll make our own game of it--what he said, what I heard.

What Crean said: "Stan (Robinson)'s gaining a level of consistency that he has not had. His body's different. His conditioning and energy are different, and it's not because he's doing more. It's because he's smarter. Frankly, there have not been nearly as many early mornings for punishment reasons, which is a huge thing for Stan.

...(Troy Williams) worked hard on his shot. His work ethic has gained tremendously. Last summer his work ethic, his extra work ethic was right near the bottom of our team, but right now it's up there around the top when it comes to the extra work."

What I heard: The only thing consistent about San last year was the amount of time he spent in the doghouse. He was like the student capable of making straight A's but more interested in making the class laugh. He's still a jokester, but the balance between laughing and learning is starting to come around.

As for Troy, he was getting up early and thought hitting the snoose button was hard work. Now he's had a taste of what he's capable of and how much effort it's going to take to get there--he's getting hungry.

What Crean said: "Tim (Priller)'s feet are improving. Tim's movements are improving and his strength is improving and his level of conditioning, he's been well coached. ...My basic message to Tim is, 'If you catch it and are open, you shoot it.' He's a little bit situational right now, but I think he's going to grow out of that, I really do, because he's got a great work ethic for it."

What I heard: He can flat out put the ball in the basket, but Tim couldn't guard his shadow right now. Consider him a (strength and conditioning coach) Je'Ney Jackson special going forward.

What Crean said: "Depth is not numbers, depth is consistency, and we didn't have enough of that consistency (last year). You know what, certain things last year, I would have booed me, too. I really would. Because we were trying to get guys in and we were trying to find some type of consistency on the court, and we didn't have enough of it."

What I heard: We thought we might have 10 guys who could really play last year, and we couldn't put five on the court together a lot of times. I was pushing every button except eject in hopes of finding a solution. There just wasn't one. It made me want to boo, too--or was it boo-hoo? Regardless, fans just called a spade a spade. No hard feelings.

What Crean said: "The biggest thing you want to get from your team in the summer time is that they respect one another. And it starts with respect on the court. You can love a guy all you want off the court and go to the mall and go to the movies with him, but if you don't think he can play, it's not taking the next step."

What I heard: Our chemistry problems last year were rooted in a lack of trust. When given the choice between trusting a teammate and trusting themselves, we chose ourselves nine times out of 10. That just might be the biggest thing about the upcoming trip to Montreal, the chance to really develop some trust.

What Crean said: “Do they respect each other, are they interconnected? You can’t have frontrunners. You cannot win. So it doesn’t matter. You could have a senior, you could have a freshman. If they are frontrunners, and how is it going for me, how is it going for the team? If it’s based on that, and they are not at a high level of how they are competing, you know, the best players, you shouldn’t really be able to look at them and see if they are not having a great statistical game. They should look the same.

That’s where you’ve got to grow. That’s part of maturity. It is what it is and in that sense we just have to continue to build on that every day and that’s what we are trying to get as much out of the summer as anything else with that.”

What I heard: Mike Singletary wasn’t as good a coach with the San Francisco 49ers as my brother-in-law, Jim Harbaugh, but I liked what he said in that Vernon Davis rant: “I’d rather play with 10 people and just get penalized all the way until we have to do something else rather than play with 11, when I know that right now that person is not sold out to be a part of this team. It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can’t do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.”

What Crean said: “Certainly when you judge the last draft, we are one of two schools in the last two years that have had three lottery picks, ourselves and Kansas. I’m not sure that you would look at our school and say, when those guys when they all came in, that they were no brainer lottery picks. Certainly Cody and Noah were projected that way, but nobody was projecting Victor that way. And he’s actually back here this week and started working out with us again yesterday, because there’s a young man that knows no matter what he just did in Orlando in the summer league and in the season, it is not close to what he is capable of. And that’s what you want.

Any time someone like Victor (Oladipo) is around that I can point to, all right, there’s a standard that he’s raising himself to that has nothing to do with where he’s at right now. You can’t have a better learning environment for your players than to see that, and to see how hard he goes through things and spends that kind of time. So those kinds of things are important, and that’s what we want to for everybody right now.”

What I heard: Lottery, Victor Oladipo, lottery, Cody Zeller, lottery, Noah Vonleh, lottery.

IU has a fairly large alumni base besides the locals that root for them. That probably helps maintain IU's appearances on ESPN and CBS. Which helps with IU's blue blood reputation that helps perpetuate the reputation and expectations. But that 'free pass' won't extend into infinity. IU needs to regroup, rebuild, and sustain. Tom Crean is not capable of that although he's capable of telling you he is with sincerity and passion. Much like he would if he was selling ice to Eskimos.

As important as we thought the hire of Crean was going to be, and it wasn't a total failure, it's proven to not have been the hire IU needed. While IU still has some things going for it they need to get the right coach in there that can build a solid base and then build upon it for sustainability before IU loses any more of its media and fan reputation than it already has.

The sooner Crean is gone the better.... but IU HAS to get the next hire right.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post

Emmanuel Mudiay gets $1.2 million contract to play one year in China
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-year-in-china
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I talked to a few student managers out here who worked under Crean. Lets just say the reviews were not glowing. The best thing(the postives about him) I heard was he can be difficult. One of the managers said all the players hate him and he is the reason Chaney left.

Muiday is gonna tear China up.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I talked to a few student managers out here who worked under Crean. Lets just say the reviews were not glowing. The best thing(the postives about him) I heard was he can be difficult. One of the managers said all the players hate him and he is the reason Chaney left.

any Purdue guys out there? I bet Painter's kind of a dick.

No surprises there. Crean's had that reputation since Marquette.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

With all this negative talk about Crean I wonder when IU will give him another contract extension and really box themselves in...

------

-John Wooden

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

The hits just keep on coming for IU sports…Curt Miller resigning due to "health and personal reasons."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The hits just keep on coming for IU sports…Curt Miller resigning due to "health and personal reasons."
    That is too bad. He was the women's basketball coach when I was in college at Bowling Green and built a mid-major dynasty. I personally thought he would do really well at IU.

The fact he is resigning tells me there is something serious going on. The guy was passionate about what he did, and this is odd timing. Miller will be in my prayers.

Ugh. That SUCKS.

Is there more of a "bad luck Bryan" athletic department than IU?

it wouldn't surprise me if the players did hate him. most of them left already. we got like what, 4 guys returning?

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    it wouldn't surprise me if the players did hate him. most of them left already. we got like what, 4 guys returning?
    I think most players either love him or they hate him. Dwyane Wade and Victor Oladipo obviously love him. But those two are also phenomenal athletes who can do just about anything on a basketball court. Pretty much everyone who's transferred from IU while Crean has been here (too many to list) probably hate him. They're the ones who aren't the most athletic and need someone who can help improve their skills.

If you can't jump though the roof or consistently beat your man off the dribble, Crean has little use for you. His basketball acumen is lacking compared to his peers and he knows it. It's why he's so abrasive to everyone he works with and demands that so much time be put into everything. If you've ever been around an egotistical perfectionist who wasn't overly skilled at his profession but pretended he was, you probably hated his guts. Sorry to say, that's what we've got coaching our basketball program.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

On a lighter note…IU beat Purdue 116-113 in the alumni game tonight.

Jordy and C-Wat were pretty awesome. David Teague had 30 points and 10 rebounds by halftime.