Page 37 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Let me just put it this way....I'm hoping Brad fails spectacularly in Boston.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Fred Glass needs to be held accountable for giving Crean an extension to 2020 when he still had SIX YEARS on his contract.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Y'all can lay off hoosierguy, a game like that Northwestern game is unacceptable. This is a BAD Northwestern team which is really saying something considering the state of that program. On top of that it's a bad Northwestern team on the road in what is supposed to be one of the toughest places in the country, while they (northwestern) are also adjusting to a whole new system.

It is embarrassing to lose that game. The hallowed Assembly Hall gets it court rushed for beating the number 3 team in the nation and then we lose to Northwestern the next game. I know it is an overstatement, but talking about feeling like all the work Vic, Cody, Watford and Jordy put in unraveling before your eyes. I don't care how young we are, we should not lose to a bad, inexperienced Northwestern team at home.

Maybe we should be ok with rushing the court for beating ****ing number 3 Wisconsin if the program is just going to turn around and lose to Northwestern. If that's what we're willing to accept then so be it, but you can call me an old dusty banner watcher but Indiana was supposed to mean something. The Tanned One himself repeated it over and over again in his first presser here "It's Indiana, It's Indiana", well if Indiana is now the program that rushes the court for beating number 3 teams and the one that then loses to Northwestern well then we're not Indiana anymore.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 01-20-2014 at 02:35 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fred Glass needs to be held accountable for giving Crean an extension to 2020 when he still had SIX YEARS on his contract.
    Yeah it never really made sense.

Look I don't even necessarily hate Crean or anything, his enthusiasm and apparent desire to "do things the right way" (whatever that means in college sports anymore) were a refreshing change and helped breathe life back to the program.

That being said, right now we seem to be content making excuses. I don't really want to hear how the team is young. Sheehey is a guy who has been around the program for 4 full years playing a major role. Yogi is a sophomore in name only. There is leadership here, but it is not translating, and our game plans look like poo.

And the only person holding back Noah Vonleh right now IMO, is the coach. Set him free. The guy cannot be contained by college players.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    The Tanned One himself repeated it over and over again in his first presser here "It's Indiana, It's Indiana", well if Indiana is now the program that rushes the court for beating number 3 teams and the one that then loses to Northwestern well then we're not Indiana anymore.
    "The Tanned One" lol.

That's the problem though. It's in serious danger of not being Indiana anymore. Since the 1993-94 season (20 years), we have made one Elite 8. One. That was when we went to the championship game back in 2002. Over the last two decades, so many programs have leapfrogged us in national relevance: Michigan State, UConn, Louisville, Syracuse, Florida, Ohio State, etc. We haven't been consistently relevant in the lifetime of any high school kid that we're recruiting. Those who understand history are still intrigued by us, but high school kids who watch college basketball have not grown up watching great Indiana teams.

Not disagreeing Soll, but at least it seemed we remembered. No I'm afraid we are forgetting. The students have certainly forgotten.

I asked my Dad (Indiana and Kelley '81) about the court storming and he was not pleased and it wasn't in a "Don't have fun" kind of way, but it was in a "Shouldn't the big win be fun enough?" kind of way.

Plus it was a Tuesday game, get the hell to Kilroy's and get wasted on two dollar long island pitchers you dipshits.

I know this probably all comes off very old fashioned, but we either have a goal of what we want to be or we will just be an program that is good every 6 or 7 years.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

And people act like Knight never had middling teams, which is horse-****, even in his glory days there were teams that weren't that great, but at least they beat Northwestern at home.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Well this is fun: Seth Littrell, our offensive coordinator, has left to take the same position at North Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Well this is fun: Seth Littrell, our offensive coordinator, has left to take the same position at North Carolina.
    not a big loss imo. Kevin Wilson was the main guy behind the offense

I'm not piling on Hoosierguy... I agree with him. It's just that a year ago he was able to find some positives and sticking by Crean. Now he'd hand him the pink slip himself and drive him to the airport. I wouldn't have called him a Crean apologist necessarily, but I don't think I've ever seen someone turn like he has.

It's the kind of turn that almost seems like he got some inside info that changed his former rosier outlook to something gray and made him say "Those guys are right after all!".

But then again, maybe he had expected an ascension that didn't materialize and that deflated him. I dunno... It's just a stunning turn from a year ago.

But anyway... I don't see any turning around for Crean. His coaching ability doesn't match his energy and IU faithful still have lofty expectations and probably are losing their patience. Crean got the team back to relevance but then can't maintain it because now he needs the gear he doesn't have. This is going to get ugly quickly now.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And people act like Knight never had middling teams, which is horse-****, even in his glory days there were teams that weren't that great, but at least they beat Northwestern at home.
    Every coach in history has had retooling years( Wooden might be the only exception) and plenty of great coaches at great programs have lost to programs as bad if not worse than Northwestern.

EDIT: Now with the one and done rule and players leaving more often, these retooling years will happen much more often.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 01-20-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Not disagreeing Soll, but at least it seemed we remembered. No I'm afraid we are forgetting. The students have certainly forgotten.

I asked my Dad (Indiana and Kelley '81) about the court storming and he was not pleased and it wasn't in a "Don't have fun" kind of way, but it was in a "Shouldn't the big win be fun enough?" kind of way.

Plus it was a Tuesday game, get the hell to Kilroy's and get wasted on two dollar long island pitchers you dipshits.

I know this probably all comes off very old fashioned, but we either have a goal of what we want to be or we will just be an program that is good every 6 or 7 years.
    Preaching to the choir, my man. It's like we just rush the court to rush the court. When beating top-flight teams is an expectation, you don't just rush the court whenever, and especially when your team is fully capable of dropping a shitbomb like NW at home...and you should know that.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Let me just put it this way....I'm hoping Brad fails spectacularly in Boston.
    i hear ya. but it seems like not only does ainge understand they are rebuilding, it seems like they are overachieving. i get a feeling he is going to be there for several more years.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

If you guys wanna be realistic forget Stevens, he's on to bigger and better already. I don't mean bigger and better than IU, not talking any crap, I mean bigger and better than the NCAA. He's going to replace K as Team USA's coach (watch) and rebuild the Celts. It's gonna take a few years but with him and Ainge Boston's comin, Spurs style, I have zero doubt. Stevens and Vogel are gonna be fun to watch, in the NBA, for...****, the rest of my life.

Shaka's your dude. He'd build a dynasty in Bloomington, seriously. It wouldn't be as easy to lure him from VCU as people think, it's a BIG school that I assume could find the money if need be, but he's a Big Ten kid, preaches defense and effort, players adore him, affable as all hell.

Some of you got upset because I'm a Purdue fan and said I'm comfortable with Crean as your coach because some of you are really defensive I guess, I dunno, but if you got Shaka Smart I'd be terrified. I'm not kidding.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Yeah, Stevens is going to get plenty of time in Boston. For as bad as Pitino was, the Celtics still gave him four years. Also, Rivers had bad records in two of his first three seasons before KG and Allen arrived. The Celtics will give Stevens plenty of time. They understand that the team is rebuilding and that they are nowhere near a winning roster at the moment. Stevens is too good to not succeed once he has some legit talent. Rondo should be back to 100% next season and they have a lot of draft picks coming their way. They have a bright future, so IU fans unfortunately will probably have to give up on the Stevens dream.

UNLESS part of taking the Celtics job was both career advancement AND a way to be more available for the IU job down the road. There would be less hard feelings about leaving the Celtics to go to IU than leaving Butler.

But I doubt that's even a possibility at this point. He wanted the NBA challenge IMHO and is proving pretty good at it.

Stevens would've been a perfect IU coach because not only can he coach, but he would've played a style of ball that would resonate with with all of the fanbase. And, besides the obvious easier sell to recruits (coming to IU to play for Stevens versus playing at Butler) Stevens is a good enough coach to eek wins and upsets out of even down years. Injuries and early departures would not hurt a Stevens led IU program like it will always impact a Crean led program.

Possibly the lesson here is (for IU), when that 'something' is out there maybe you need to go ahead and make a run for it because it might not be there tomorrow.... Even though the timing might've sucked PR-wise for IU to move on from Crean just when it looked like the team was turning the corner I think insiders could see it wasn't all roses ahead with Crean's short-comings.

But would Stevens have taken the job if Crean was specifically fired to get him? Or would he have preferred Crean to be fired first and then simply put his name in the hat?

And all of this is just wild speculation and what ifs now... It appears that two ships have sailed-
    The dream of Brad Stevens as IU coach
    AND Any chance Crean had the coaching depth to sustain an IU resurgence despite initial evidence to the contrary.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

We are stuck with Crean for, bare minimum, two more years after this one. Glass gives his guys time, and Crean built up enough goodwill with the past two seasons that his seat isn't going to get warm until we miss consecutive NCAA tournaments (unless we win the B1G tournament, we aren't dancing this season). Noah Vonleh is the biggest key for Crean's job security, honestly. If he stays, we have a team capable of winning the Big Ten and making a Final Four run next year. If he goes, we are desperately thin in the frontcourt and possibly in the position of missing the NCAAs for (probably) a second straight year.

If IU wins tonight.....Most Bipolar team ever?

Why do we think we are jumpshooting team?

Officials are excited to be on national TV tonight.

This game is painful to watch from both sides

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mb221 View Post
    This game is painful to watch from both sides
    Not really has been decent basketball so far.(outside of IUs TOs which will happen vs an Izzo team) Vonleh needs to touch it every time down. Damn near no one in college ball can guard him 1v1. Vonleh has made this game fun to watch he is a man out there.

Wow even when we do something right we can't end up with the ball

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Not really has been decent basketball so far.(outside of IUs TOs which will happen vs an Izzo team) Vonleh needs to touch it every time down. Damn near no one in college ball can guard him 1v1. Vonleh has made this game fun to watch he is a man out there.
    Dude...it's been awful basketball.

Somebody smack Troy Williams