Page 14 of 70 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They remind me so much of the RichRod era Michigan teams. IU's offense almost scores too fast. 38:30 to 21:30 time of possession advantage for Michigan.

IU needs to slow the game down a little on offense. I think they've got the talent to still be successful without going quite so fast.
    Yeah, it just smacks of not playing to the personnel you have, IMO. It would at least give you a better chance to win a few.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

IU has scored 49 and 47 points against OSU and Michigan the last two years and lost both games.

Someday I might get to see us beat one of them...someday...

I'm not faulting effort. You can't ask for more. But it is astounding how anything less than utter perfection is not good enough for us to win against even mediocre competition.

Hardin and Bennett were absolute turn styles out there tackling and on coverage respectively. This team is very inexperienced on D, but the fundamentals and decision making are just consistently atrocious. And despite that inexperience, I feel like the defensive talent is improved. Although that may mean nothing obviously. If Michigan can hang 63 on us, maybe Wisconsin will break their 83 mark from a few years ago.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I'm not faulting effort. You can't ask for more. But it is astounding how anything less than utter perfection is not good enough for us to win against even mediocre competition.

Hardin and Bennett were absolute turn styles out there tackling and on coverage respectively. This team is very inexperienced on D, but the fundamentals and decision making are just consistently atrocious. And despite that inexperience, I feel like the defensive talent is improved. Although that may mean nothing obviously. If Michigan can hang 63 on us, maybe Wisconsin will break their 83 mark from a few years ago.
    Well you could be Purdue and when they were down 7-0 the game was pretty much over.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah, I want nothing to do with JaQuan Lyle's crazy. This entire 2014 class in Indiana is pretty ****ed up honestly. My favorite of the bunch is McIntosh. I think he was a great pickup for Northwestern.
    In my opinion this class is a result of AAU. Spend your time playing with these guys for so long that the crazy just festers and grows until everyone is decommitting three times.

#24 Bennett is horrendous. The whole IU defense is frustrating to watch. Even a below average defense and IU is going to a good bowl game. It's amazing how bad that defense actually is. It's just wasting all of the offensive talent.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    #24 Bennett is horrendous. The whole IU defense is frustrating to watch. Even a below average defense and IU is going to a good bowl game. It's amazing how bad that defense actually is. It's just wasting all of the offensive talent.

IU would have gone to multiple bowl games the last decade with even a mediocre defense. It is mind voggling how bad the defense has been.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Amazing how bad we are at tackling. It boggles the mind how players who made it far enough to play high level D-1 football can be so awful at it. I remember a play in the fourth quarter where we should have easily sacked their QB, but our defender just ran right by him. Their QB didn't even make a fake move. Our guy just completely ran right past him when he had an easy shot at him. Unbelievable.

BTW, can someone please tell me why Michigan's QB wears #98? I didn't realize that he was an OLB.

Fire Doug Mallory. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

BTW, can someone please tell me why Michigan's QB wears #98? I didn't realize that he was an OLB.
    He wears #98 to honor Tom Harmon, a former Michigan Heisman Trophy winner. It started when they honored Harmon during the Notre Dame game this season.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Amazing how bad we are at tackling. It boggles the mind how players who made it far enough to play high level D-1 football can be so awful at it. I remember a play in the fourth quarter where we should have easily sacked their QB, but our defender just ran right by him. Their QB didn't even make a fake move. Our guy just completely ran right past him when he had an easy shot at him. Unbelievable.

i missed that play but i will definitely take your word on it.

Two must-wins coming (since we couldn't pull out any of Navy, Mizzou, U of M last week) v. Minny & Illinois next two weeks. Margin of error is razor thin even against supposed "beatable" opponent now. In a way, I feel like we will really find out what Wilson and Co. are really all about now because this IU team should be able to win against these opponents, especially at home. Yet there's the pressure of HAVING to win them or bust and the specter of our post-Bill Mallory history. Not to mention the specter of our current Doug Mallory DC era.

-Emiliano Zapata

Watching Kevin Wilson talk to the media today...ugh. Multiple times he states, "We didn't score enough." It really sounds like he blames the loss on the offense.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watching Kevin Wilson talk to the media today...ugh. Multiple times he states, "We didn't score enough." It really sounds like he blames the loss on the offense.
    The fact that Doug Mallory didn't get the Lane Kiffin treatment at the airport is mind blowing.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Well the lunacy of the 2014 in staters continues. James Blackmon will visit Indiana this weekend and JaQuan Lyle might as well.

Mood

I'd take one of them plus Robinson all day. I'd much rather have Blackmon because of Lyle's off the court issues, but I'm sure Crean knows more about him than us and if he thinks he can keep Lyle in check then obviously the talent is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    I'd take one of them plus Robinson all day. I'd much rather have Blackmon because of Lyle's off the court issues, but I'm sure Crean knows more about him than us and if he thinks he can keep Lyle in check then obviously the talent is there.
    I'd rather have Blackmon because I think he's a better shooter and I'm fairly certain JaQuan is batshit crazy. Neither one of them will break my heart when they commit to Kentucky or Kansas though. Robert Johnson fills the combo guard role just fine for me. I'd love a post player or a long shooter, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

He wears #98 to honor Tom Harmon, a former Michigan Heisman Trophy winner. It started when they honored Harmon during the Notre Dame game this season.
    Michigan does it with other players as well. For example, WR Jeremy Gallon wears 21 to honor Desmond Howard. Here's the whole article.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-foot...082713aad.html
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

21. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Ok, so its our bye week in football, and I just want to say that I think no doubt Tre Roberson should get the start at QB against Minnesota, he earned it

Edit- oh and Doug Mallory better be gone after this year, no way does our defense lack that much talent
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 10-26-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Well, the basketball team's first game of the year is tonight against a very solid D II squad in Southern Indiana. I would not be surprised if USI makes this an uncomfortably close game.

I honestly have no idea what to expect from this year's team- they could be pretty good and competitive if Yogi, Will, and Hollowell all take improve and successfully take on larger roles and the freshmen play above their age or it could be a trainwreck, Purdue like season as this young roster develops.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 10-26-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Well, the basketball team's first game of the year is tonight against a very solid D II squad in Southern Indiana. I would not be surprised if USI makes this an uncomfortably close game.

I honestly have no idea what to expect from this year's team- they could be pretty good and competitive if Yogi, Will, and Hollowell all take improve and successfully take on larger roles and the freshmen play above their age or it could be a trainwreck, Purdue like season as this young roster develops.
    I think there's too much talent on hand for it to be a trainwreck (unless Yogi goes down--then trainwreck commences), but more or less I'm with you: I don't have a clue what to expect with this team. I think it's going to be ugly early. With all the injuries we have had to our freshmen (missed practice time is crucial to freshmen) and our general roster turnover, I think we will be a huge work in progress. I think once the Big Ten season starts we will have some things figured out, but yeah, this season is a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Ok, so its our bye week in football, and I just want to say that I think no doubt Tre Roberson should get the start at QB against Minnesota, he earned it

Edit- oh and Doug Mallory better be gone after this year, no way does our defense lack that much talent
    Honestly, it doesn't matter who starts at quarterback. It really doesn't. We score with either one, and Wilson is going to rotate them and go with the hot hand regardless. Starting really doesn't mean anything on this team at quarterback. Also, if we can't stop anyone from scoring, it really doesn't matter.

I think there's too much talent on hand for it to be a trainwreck (unless Yogi goes down--then trainwreck commences), but more or less I'm with you: I don't have a clue what to expect with this team. I think it's going to be ugly early. With all the injuries we have had to our freshmen (missed practice time is crucial to freshmen) and our general roster turnover, I think we will be a huge work in progress. I think once the Big Ten season starts we will have some things figured out, but yeah, this season is a mystery.

One thing Crean needs to do is play his key players more minutes. Other top teams last year would routinely play their key guys 30+ minutes a night. This isn't the NBA, these players are very young and play at most two games a week. They can take it.

Yogi, Sheehey, Gordon, Hollowell, and Vonleh (the presumed starting five) need to play a lot of minutes unless the other
    freshmen show they are ready to compete and contribute. I hated seeing Zeller and Oladipo rarely get above 30 minutes of playing time last year.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    One thing Crean needs to do is play his key players more minutes. Other top teams last year would routinely play their key guys 30+ minutes a night. This isn't the NBA, these players are very young and play at most two games a week. They can take it.

Yogi, Sheehey, Gordon, Hollowell, and Vonleh (the presumed starting five) need to play a lot of minutes unless the other
    freshmen show they are ready to compete and contribute. I hated seeing Zeller and Oladipo rarely get above 30 minutes of playing time last year.
    Yeah I'm not going to get into Crean's in-game substitutions. They are maddening and drive me insane. Every hockey line switch he does kills me a little bit inside.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    It doesn't surprise me he's still employed, because it's IU football and no one is ever held accountable for anything, but he should have been fired last week. That was an absolutely disgraceful performance.