Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Oh I didn't know he was gonna graduate.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I didn't know he was gonna graduate.
    Yeah I kinda forgot about that too until I read it yesterday. He is a redshirt sophomore and like a lot of the players he will graduate in three years. Apparently Noah Vonleh is over 50% of the way towards his degree as well.

Mood

Isn't there a rule that has to be followed to play immediately though? Like what Russell Wilson did at Wisconsin? I thought he had to choose a grad program that wasn't offered at his previous school. If that's true, it's hard to imagine that ISU has one that IU doesn't. Criminology maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    There's got to be more to all these players leaving than just having a disappointing season. Something is really, seriously wrong here.
    I'd sure like to hear some of the dirt to get a better feel why we're seeing all these transfers. Surely the past 2 years have been an unusual number for a team. Aren't there any forums that claim to have some inside scoop talking about it? What are they saying?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Crean had a lot of transfers at Marquette, too. When the season ends poorly, he gets pissy about it, players don't like it and they leave. Crean has also lost a lot of assistants over the years because he's difficult to work with when things aren't going well.

I heard after the Syracuse game last year he had a total meltdown and, being the socially awkward person he is, probably said some things that encouraged players to leave. If I had to guess, there's no "behind the scenes" story here. Just Crean being a douchebag because he doesn't know any better.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Isn't there a rule that has to be followed to play immediately though? Like what Russell Wilson did at Wisconsin? I thought he had to choose a grad program that wasn't offered at his previous school. If that's true, it's hard to imagine that ISU has one that IU doesn't. Criminology maybe?
    Yeah, but that has yet to be a problem for any athlete yet, so I don't assume that would be much of a hurdle.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'd sure like to hear some of the dirt to get a better feel why we're seeing all these transfers. Surely the past 2 years have been an unusual number for a team. Aren't there any forums that claim to have some inside scoop talking about it? What are they saying?
    Not any that I am aware of. There is speculation, guessing, flaming, baiting, and every other bull **** forum tactic under the sun in play though, and I don't care to sift through it. I had heard some murmurs about some overzealous partying by some segments of the team, but who specifically I do not know. I think a lot of it had to do with that culture of work Crean wanted (and had) with the group that departed last year. Guys like Hulls, Oladipo, Zeller--those guys didn't mess around. They were gym rats. The partying and distractions didn't get to them. Holdovers like Sheehey and Yogi still had that approach, whereas some of the newcomers got distracted by the other enticing things college life brings to the table. Again, that's just speculation.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Crean had a lot of transfers at Marquette, too. When the season ends poorly, he gets pissy about it, players don't like it and they leave. Crean has also lost a lot of assistants over the years because he's difficult to work with when things aren't going well.

I heard after the Syracuse game last year he had a total meltdown and, being the socially awkward person he is, probably said some things that encouraged players to leave. If I had to guess, there's no "behind the scenes" story here. Just Crean being a douchebag because he doesn't know any better.
    Yeah, and that's not the first time I've heard something like that. I was good friends with a girl in college from the Milwaukee area; her parents donated a fair amount of money to the Marquette program and thus had heard some stuff about Crean. She said no one up there was sad to see him go and that he had a massive ego that clashed with a lot of people around the program. I was talking to her dad one time during a visit and he said we were lucky we had a ****** football program (helmed at the time by Lynch, by all accounts one of the nicest guys in the profession) or Crean would feel threatened by them and clash with the football coach.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Could it be when the coach has a system that doesn't breed team growth and consistently competitive basketball that he just loses the team? And of course who knows how Crean handles that when the team fractures.

When players see results you get a lot of leeway to coach however you want (to a degree) but when hard work and dealing with BS leaves you losing games you should've won, unprepared to play against an opponent's defensive principles, and sitting home in March then I suppose all bets are off.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post

Yeah, players and assistant coaches can put up with a difficult personality if that coach wins. But if it's a coach like Crean who routinely puts up mediocre results, what's the point of putting up with someone who annoys you? Everyone knows that Crean doesn't have much to hang his hat on when it comes to teams who didn't have Dwyane Wade on the roster.

Can you elaborate on the Syracuse story?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately, that's as much as I know. Supposedly things hadn't been too rosy for the last few weeks leading up to that game (evidenced by their play on the court), frustration boiled over and he just lost it.

What it all comes down to is Crean is full of manic energy and it makes him tough to be around. Calbert Cheaney left the program because Crean wanted the staff to put in roughly 80 hours per week. I also heard stories about last year's players saying they were still practicing 4 hours a day late into the season, so much time in the gym that it made them hate basketball. It's like he gets so wrapped up in what he does, he goes for quantity instead of quality. It reminds me of the people who go to the gym for 2 hours and do nothing, but feel they're going to be more physically fit than the person who spends 30 minutes going hard.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

will see if i can get this to work. it is titled 'what remains'
    https://twitter.com/ChronicHoosier/s.../photo/1/large
    well, i couldn't get the pic to load here but at least there is a link to what the team looks like right now.

Someone needs to change Crean's twitter password. Jesus Christ dude.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Someone needs to change Crean's twitter password. Jesus Christ dude.
    did you hack it or something? lol
    probably something like christislord

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

The vote of confidence...

BY DUSTIN DOPIRAK ddopirak@heraldt.com | 2 comments
    The day after the Indiana men’s basketball team lost five players from its disappointing 17-15 team to early NBA draft entry, transfer and a walk-on’s decision to focus on his pre-med degree, IU athletic director Fred Glass gave a speech to the Bloomington Rotary Club.
    The speech was mostly about his management philosophies in running the athletic department, but one of the two questions afterward from rotary members afterward was about IU coach Tom Crean and the direction of the program. Despite all of the program turmoil and heightening pressure on Crean, who is under his $3.16-million per year contract through 2020, Glass said his outlook remains positive.

“I think everybody would’ve hoped that we would have had a better season in men’s basketball,” Glass said Tuesday, “so I don’t mean to minimize that we expect to compete for Big Ten championships. We expect to be in postseason play and compete for a national championship, and nobody’s more disappointed in that than Coach Crean, yet, but I am totally confident Coach Crean is doing a great job, totally confident that he is going to continue us going in the right direction.”

Glass noted Crean’s previous accomplishments, pointing out that a year ago the Hoosiers were heading to their second straight Sweet 16, holding a No. 1 seed in the East Region and coming off an outright Big Ten regular season championship.
    “While there was some lingering disappointment that we didn’t ultimately hang a sixth banner, which I think has carried over a little bit, Tom isn’t the problem, he’s a solution,” Glass said. “He really did bring Indiana University basketball back. I have total confidence in him and what he’s doing.”

He also partially addressed the transfer issue, saying that Crean has to ignore outside opinions.
    “One of the things I said to Tom, I believe this from public service, is you’ve gotta do what you think the right thing is,” Glass said. “You’ve gotta look in the mirror and be confident that the decisions that you’re making are the right decisions. Because everything else changes. The same people who are wanting to run Jeremy Hollowell out on a rail — ‘How terrible is he? Why is he seeing any floor time?’ — are some of the same people who are saying, ‘Woe is me, Jeremy Hollowell has decided to transfer.’ You sort of can’t win when you’ve not met some people’s expectations. I have great confidence in Tom and great confidence that the basketball program is going in the right direction. … It’s hard to lose five pros, two to the NBA and three to Europe, and not miss a beat. We did, a little bit.”

Of course, it’s also difficult for a team to lose 50 percent of its scoring and not miss a beat, and that’s what will happen for the Hoosiers despite the fact that they had just two scholarship seniors on the 2013-14 squad. Freshman forward Noah Vonleh, who is entering the NBA draft and expects to be a top 10 pick, graduating seniors Will Sheehey, Evan Gordon and walk-on Jeff Howard, and transfers Luke Fischer, Austin Etherington, Jeremy Hollowell and Jonny Marlin accounted for 1,156 of Indiana’s 2,312 points this season.

Eleven of Indiana’s 13 scholarship players at the beginning of this season were either sophomores or freshman, but Indiana will return just seven players next season. That includes freshman forward Collin Hartman, who recently suffered an ACL tear and could miss a substantial amount of time, and sophomore center Peter Jurkin, who played just 11 minutes all season, in large part because of shin issues. That leaves just five healthy players in camp — sophomores Yogi Ferrell and Hanner Mosquera Perea and freshmen Troy Williams, Stanford Robinson and Devin Davis — before the arrival of 2014 signees James Blackmon Jr., Robert Johnson Jr. and Max Hoetzel. If there are no further transfers, the Hoosiers still have three scholarships to fill with a shrinking crop of players remaining.

Crean was on the Chicago radio show “Kap and Haugh” Tuesday morning trying to paint a much less dire picture. The fact that Vonleh — who will likely join Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller to become the third lottery pick from Indiana in the past two years — chose to play at Indiana speaks well for the program, Crean said. He also said the transfers do not constitute a disaster.

“When guys leave, the bottom line is, did they get an opportunity to do something with it?” Crean said. “The two young men, Austin Etherington and Jeremy Hollowell, that are leaving, they got opportunity. You have to do something with it. When they want to leave … if you really care about the players, and you want to see them be successful, you’re OK with it, and it just opens the door for somebody else. You’re constantly rebuilding or reshaping or whatever re- you want to use with your team at this level. I think you either get determined or you get discouraged. There’s no discouragement in me. … I’m looking forward to it actually.”

The departures mean that Crean has to continue to hit the recruiting trail hard in the spring and he has. The Hoosiers are a finalist for senior Temple transfer Anthony Lee, and are also going after Josh Cunningham, a 6-foot-7 wing from Chicago, who is the No. 80 recruit in the Class of 2014 among others.

“If we can finish this class off with a couple of warriors, with a couple of guys that are just absolutely tough-minded winners that can score, defend, rebound, know how to win,” Crean said, “with what we have coming back with Yogi Ferrell, with Troy Williams, with Stan Robinson, guys like that, we’re going to be just fine.”
    http://www.tmnews.com/sports/college...bfffa71cc.html

------

-John Wooden

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I expected nothing less.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

IU women's basketball beat Northwestern tonight 66-65 to move on to the WNIT quarterfinals. They trailed until the final 11 seconds.

Crean should head to one of their games sometime and note how calm and collected Miller is on the sideline during the game, and how that translates into a young team (younger than the men; they started 5 freshmen in some games this season) that can also play under control.

God, some of these rumors and speculation... Again, and I say this as an IU fan/alum, IU fans are the worst. They lose less than 8ppg in transfers from a team that didn't make a single postseason tournament, and all hell is breaking loose, there are wild parties, a toxic culture, etc.

Tom Crean works his players HARD. Arguably too hard. Fairly common knowledge -- and it's interesting because you'll always see Rick Pitino accused of the same, but he starts to put on the brakes around midseason and reel back the practices, sprints etc. as the season winds down, which I fully believe Crean needs to start doing.

I think some guys just can't see themselves doing that for four years. I don't blame them. It's not for everyone. Some guys just want to play basketball and not put in all the hours doing the other things. I don't think there's anything wrong with that; these are just college kids we're talking about, and their priorities will differ to a man (as will their future trajectories). But Crean's coaching style can be wearing and abrasive, and not everyone is built for it. The key is finding a core of guys who ARE, and not running them into the ground as the season wears on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    God, some of these rumors and speculation... Again, and I say this as an IU fan/alum, IU fans are the worst.
    Honestly, if we are that bad, why are you bothering to engage with us and read this stuff? Just ignore the thread and avoid the forums. I don't really want to hear how bad I am as a fan in every post you make.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Honestly, if we are that bad, why are you bothering to engage with us and read this stuff? Just ignore the thread and avoid the forums. I don't really want to hear how bad I am as a fan in every post you make.
    Because I'm an alum, even if it's embarrassing as hell to see the baseless speculation and overreaction to EVERYTHING constantly thrown around by this fanbase.

EDIT: Let me clarify, I'm not attacking anyone here specifically. But I've never seen a fanbase overreact to EVERY LITTLE THING so loudly as the IU fanbase. Anything short of perfection or storybook is cause for catastrophe. I look at the Colts' fanbase...not the case there. Really not the case for the Pacers normally, though this season has brought unreal expectations aboard, so it's a bit of an outlier. But IU fans...if any little thing doesn't go as planned, there has to be someone fired, has to be some crazy story behind it, etc.
    Last edited by Dr. Hibbert; 03-28-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Then Doc you've never been around the University of Michigan....even when they are winning.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Anthony Lee picked OSU without even visiting IU.

Nice work, Crean.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    God, some of these rumors and speculation... Again, and I say this as an IU fan/alum, IU fans are the worst. They lose less than 8ppg in transfers from a team that didn't make a single postseason tournament, and all hell is breaking loose, there are wild parties, a toxic culture, etc.
    It's not that people are upset about losing those specific players. Instead, it's just another sign that this program has no stability and that the coach has an off-putting way of doing things.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I just look at the likes of Louisville of UK and ask why that can't be IU?
    Or MSU...
    What have we seen to make us think that is the trajectory Crean has this team headed?
    Even look at the Michigan rebuild and where they are.

It would be different if I and others thought ISU or Evansville should be mentioned in the same breath year in and year out with UofL or UK.... But IU already is traditionally there with facilities, support, and history. What it is lacking and has lacked for a while is coaching.

Even as greasy as Calipari is, he can coach. UK didn't beat UofL on recruiting and talent alone. Ky's players came along and grew all season into a formidable team. Meanwhile, Pitino had Louisville right there in the mix all season and almost to the final buzzer last night.

IU needs a top tier coach... Either an established top tier coach or an up and comer.

Crean flew in under the radar as a little of both but once the spotlight hit we can now see the flaws at Marquette are still here at IU... and his feather in his cap at Marquette was thanks almost entirely to Dwade.

Crean has had plenty of time to get this program not only back to relevance BUT consistently a competitive team.

I'm telling you... it's a fast sinking ship now. He can't get the players he has to improve.... he can't keep the players he has... the bloom is off the rose so recruiting will fast decline now that Crean's 'potential' has been replaced by reality for all to see and peck on... And Crean can't coach. No talent... No growth... and can't coach. That is not a recipe that ends well.

------

-John Wooden

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: