Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1757

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting note: he followed Tom Crean, IU Men's basketball and Robert Johnson on twitter. No other players, programs or coaches. Let's hope Crean doesn't spaz out and scare him off.
    I'm sure he's thinking about him a lot...a whole lot.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Interesting note: he followed Tom Crean, IU Men's basketball and Robert Johnson on twitter. No other players, programs or coaches. Let's hope Crean doesn't spaz out and scare him off.
    Eh, if that was that big of an issue for recruits he wouldn't get anyone.

You know what's really sad? When I first heard this guy might actually be a realistic get for us, I was kind of like, "Well, I mean that's good...but he will help Crean keep his job longer." I'm not proud.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    You know what's really sad? When I first heard this guy might actually be a realistic get for us, I was kind of like, "Well, I mean that's good...but he will help Crean keep his job longer." I'm not proud.
    yep. one of those things that gets you thinking.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Long enough for Stevens to pull a Patino and go back to the college ranks?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

The Marquette job is open- you can always go home Tommy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

I think Crean has jumped the shark enough now that any 'gets' will just raise expectations and if he fails (like he will) to max the player and the team it'll just compound his fate. Or else they'll actually come thru and prove us wrong (and show Crean really can coach and we just don't see it currently)...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Postseason fate will determine Crean's future. He has next year to get there and 2016 to make a run. If neither happens, he'll be gone. It doesn't matter how many regular season games he wins.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

gotta admit, not too hyped about IU giving Larry Brown an Indiana showcase for recruits next year. IU can get plenty of home and homes, that's a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    gotta admit, not too hyped about IU giving Larry Brown an Indiana showcase for recruits next year. IU can get plenty of home and homes, that's a mistake.
    I'm not terribly concerned. Larry Brown is too fickle to stick around SMU long enough to make them anymore than a temporary pest.

SMU isn't going to poach any recruits from Indiana. There aren't many left to steal from us after Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State are done raiding our backyard.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

SMU isn't going to poach any recruits from Indiana. There aren't many left to steal from us after Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State are done raiding our backyard.
    ...a sad, sad truth.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

This is why Crean is on the clock. Too many good schools around to poach talent and too many pitches they can make to put IU/Crean down. And Crean can't win anything without some serious talent (and even then when coaching matters, he'll fall short). So it all snowballs....

Unfortunately, he'll be back next year to prove this theory out. So it's only going to get worse before it gets better. So when Crean is fired (and he will be fired sooner rather than later) the program will again be in a rebuild mode so the new coach won't be able to just hit the ground running.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

My buddy from HS (and my lawyer) is a HUGE IU fan and supporter, in fact he recruited that Flowers kid from up north for Knight (nope didn't work out) anyway. He is real down on Crean now.
    I told him about Crean coming up into the student section at an IU football game and sat down next to Geezer Jr. and talked football and life with my kid for the whole game. My buddy's comment was, well that is really good to hear. At least he does something right.

Crean may be on a zero tolerance policy....a super secret one (I'm being silly)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

21. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm not terribly concerned. Larry Brown is too fickle to stick around SMU long enough to make them anymore than a temporary pest.
    Well Larry was suppose to leave after this year. When he took the job he said he would only stay 2 years.

The Nic Moore Emmanuel Mudiay backcourt next year is going to be scary as ****.

Mood

I still have no idea who you get that would be an upgrade over Crean and who would actually be available and take the job. The expectations of IU fans are so out of tune with reality it's ridiculous.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

shocker

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I still have no idea who you get that would be an upgrade over Crean and who would actually be available and take the job. The expectations of IU fans are so out of tune with reality it's ridiculous.
    Getting an upgrade over Crean wouldn't be that hard.... considering he's just not very good.

------

-John Wooden

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Getting an upgrade over Crean wouldn't be that hard.... considering he's just not very good.
    I understand that. Name me a coach who is available and would take the job. We're not going to get a blue blood to leave his program. The well coached mid majors are going to look at IU as a way to increase their pay and make their grass greener. And IU fans would not accept a lesser known coach no matter how much better he is than Crean. It's a no win situation here. It's so much of a no win situation, I was floored when Crean left Marquette, where he would still be coaching and well paid to do it while dealing with FAR less expectations than he faces here.

I've probably said it before on here, but I maintain that being the IU basketball coach is one of the worst jobs in sports, next to ND football coach & maybe UK basketball coach.

I love my alma mater, but the fanbase is ridiculous more often than not, and is prone to freakouts, especially if something goes against this weird 1978 standard they hold everything to. Too many folks still haven't moved on from Bob Knight, too many folks still expect absolute perfection. I think it takes a one-in-a-million coach to succeed at IU anymore because the deck is so stacked against you. IU fans just have ridiculous standards and expectations and this annoying attachment to the past. I would never want to coach there. It's a death sentence anymore. Don't think this wouldn't hold true for a ton of guys beyond Tom Crean.

Just my opinion, of course.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I've probably said it before on here, but I maintain that being the IU basketball coach is one of the worst jobs in sports, next to ND football coach & maybe UK basketball coach.

I love my alma mater, but the fanbase is ridiculous more often than not, and is prone to freakouts, especially if something goes against this weird 1978 standard they hold everything to. Too many folks still haven't moved on from Bob Knight, too many folks still expect absolute perfection. I think it takes a one-in-a-million coach to succeed at IU anymore because the deck is so stacked against you. IU fans just have ridiculous standards and expectations and this annoying attachment to the past. I would never want to coach there. It's a death sentence anymore. Don't think this wouldn't hold true for a ton of guys beyond Tom Crean.

I agree. IU basketball has suffered a severe loss in stature over the last two decades, to the point where the damage might be beyond repair unless some miracles happen. Soooooo many programs have leapfrogged us in stature, but a lot of IU fans still have out of this world expectations. Programs like Florida, Michigan State, Louisville, Syracuse, UConn have become far more relevant than IU in recent years because they have modern championships and routinely make deep tournament runs. Meanwhile, the other "blue blood" programs have widened the gap on IU in recent years: UK, Kansas, UNC, Duke etc. IU OTOH has only made one Elite 8 since the 1993-94 season: 2002 when we made the miraculous run to the championship game. The last 20 years have mostly been filled with mediocrity and disappointment. I don't think that Crean is a good coach, but I do agree with you that it's going to be hard for anyone to make this a consistent winning program again. We haven't been relevant in the lifetime of any high school kid that we're trying to recruit.

IU basketball is the 1992-07 Celtics. We have the tradition and the musty old banners that are collecting dust, but the recent successes have been few and far between.

I don't think it's asking for too much for IU to have a coach that is better than Tom Crean. Nobody is calling for a multiple NCAA banner hanging streak from the head coach. Just someone who can maximize his players and be hard to beat more times than not. The rest takes care of itself.
    IU plays in a major conference, has national TV exposure regularly, has a solid fanbase, has a healthy basketball budget, etc... And a history as a top basketball school.
    Those are things that should give IU a headstart in a return to relevance. But you need a smart AD to see thru smokescreens and understand who he needs to be focusing on as a target. Whether it's a young up and coming coach or an established coach looking for a a more high profile job. But regardless, the job requires two parts: High energy -AND- top tier basketball coaching skills. Crean only has one of those....

------

-John Wooden

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

It's apparent that some of you guys aren't in tune with any SEC football fanbase. Every single one of them is every bit as insane and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    IU basketball is the 1992-07 Celtics. We have the tradition and the musty old banners that are collecting dust, but the recent successes have been few and far between.
    Not a great comparison. It's really hard to compare the pro game to the college game. It's just a different animal.

The best comparison for IU basketball is right in their own state: Notre Dame football. Haven't won a national title since the 80s, had a string of terrible coaching hires, made one run last season to the national title game (like our '02 year), but fell back to Earth this year. Personally, I like Brian Kelly and as long as he doesn't bolt for the NFL they will keep competing at a higher level than they had the past 15-20 years, but it's a pretty strong comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post

This is a ridiculous post. I'm sorry, but it really is. It's not the top flight job that some in our fanbase want it to be, but it isn't a bad job by any stretch of the imagination. It's a high pressure job, but so are a LOT of college coaching jobs. The fanbase does their thing, but if you were intimate with any other college fanbase, you would know we are pretty much par for the course. Winning at IU isn't a herculean task--we have top notch facilities, a beautiful campus, a good academic setting, a wildly passionate fan base (which you are apparently arguing is a bad thing), and a pretty rich local talent pool. We don't expect perfection. It doesn't take a one in a million coach, it just takes the right one, and frankly, we haven't had that in a long, long time. Sampson was honest to god the best coach we have had since Knight, in terms of in game strategy and what not.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: