Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1757

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

I'd say all those names would probably do as well as CTC.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd say all those names would probably do as well as CTC.
    That's the whole point. We don't want somebody who would "probably do as well as Crean." We want someone who would do better.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want anyone other than Marshall, Stevens, or Smart. Anyone other than that and I'd rather take my chances with Crean. Obviously I'm not talking about people that are un obtainable.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    I don't want anyone other than Marshall, Stevens, or Smart. Anyone other than that and I'd rather take my chances with Crean. Obviously I'm not talking about people that are un obtainable.
    Then you need to stop talking about Stevens. He's un-obtainable. Smart could have picked his spot last year and didn't, so I'm not sure how available he is. Marshall is your best bet of those three, but is he really better than Crean?
    Last edited by travmil; 03-15-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Then you need to stop talking about Stevens. He's un-obtainable. Smart could have picked his spot last year and didn't, so I'm not sure how available he is. Marshall is your best bet of those three, but is he really better than Crean?
    I actually think Marshall is the as unattainable as Smart. Marshall is much better than Crean. I love his brand of basketball. Marshall isn't going anywhere IMO. He is on record as saying he likes to stay in one spot. He is paid very well, and I assume if he will get another raise shortly to keep him there. He already gets paid like an elite coach, frankly because he is one.

Mood

Yeah I don't know about that. I like Marshall and he's good for sure, but much better than Crean? He very well could be better, but I haven't seen enough to say he's MUCH better than Crean.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Vonleh "strongly leaning" toward the draft:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/indiana...012234571.html

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I agree, thinking that Stevens will fail and leave Boston is a massive pipe dream. Boston is in FANTASTIC position for the future. They have a healthy 9, a bunch of draft picks, and some upcoming cap space. Ainge will be able to build something there relatively quickly. Stevens will get AT LEAST 4-5 years to prove himself there.

I would think Marshall would be obtainable. It's not like he's a Wichita State lifer or anything. IU could also take a coach who is already in a major conference like they did with Crean. IU can afford guys, and I have no idea what some coaches are being paid. Setting the scope to Indiana people only would be dumb for the university to do, and I doubt they do it.

I would take Marshall over Crean, definitely. It's not like he's a one-year wonder or a one-class wonder. His Winthrop teams were great low-majors.

The only question about Stevens would be if IU is his dream job of sorts and if his contract has an escape clause for IU. And then whether IU would/could make a comparable $$ offer that's in the ballpark. Without any of those things then there's really no hope of Stevens being interested in IU. At least not in regards to the current window of opportunity. I doubt Crean is going anywhere this year unless some high dollar boosters want him gone bad AND something like the above scenario exists. I just don't see them punting on Crean this year without some massive PR score of a coach waiting in the wings. But I don't think Crean has 2 more years in him. I don't see Stevens being job shopping in 2 years. So unless Stevens' ultimate goal is coaching at IU then I don't see how it'll happen. And by the time his run 'might' be done in Boston, Crean will be long gone. Hopefully, IMHO, VERY long gone.

I'd suspect if any of those things are in place then Stevens (or his 'people') have let someone with close ties to IU know he would be interested if the situation developed. Much like he put out feelers to the NBA but kept it on the down low.
    Last edited by Bball; 03-16-2014 at 11:15 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    I would think Marshall would be obtainable. It's not like he's a Wichita State lifer or anything. IU could also take a coach who is already in a major conference like they did with Crean. IU can afford guys, and I have no idea what some coaches are being paid. Setting the scope to Indiana people only would be dumb for the university to do, and I doubt they do it.

I would take Marshall over Crean, definitely. It's not like he's a one-year wonder or a one-class wonder. His Winthrop teams were great low-majors.
    No kidding he completely rebuilt the Winthrop program. Then he took the Shockers job and did the exact same thing. After his first two years at Wichita they have been a top #25 caliber team every year. I just like how he coaches I am taking a lot from him. I love watching his team play. His gap style defense is one that I firmly believe in.

The Hooiser could always hire a blast from the past Mike Davis did coach his team to an NCAA appearance this year
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-16-2014 at 11:58 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post

Marshall is making 1 million is base pay and almost another million in incentives (which I am pretty sure he hit only like 50k were academics based). For comparison sake Lansing is making 220k for INst. He is already being paid like an elite coach.

Shaka just got a state of the art practice facility at VCU. They are suppose to start building it this off season. That will be a make cope for recruiting.

I just know from everything I have read on Marshall he is ingrained in the Wichita community a lot like Shaka is in the Richmond community. I really dobt he leaves. He may use a program to get a bigger check like Shaka did but I don't think he leaves.

I love the cockiness of IU fans. You really think Stevens put a clause in his contract that would let him leave for IU. That is the funniest thing I have read. No way he did that. But Ainge showed they will buy a coach out if the price is right ala Doc. I really doubt Stevens wants to leave the Boston freaking Celtics. That is a much better job than IU basketball coach. It is the Boston Celtics. Ask Pitino he left KENTUCKYto go to the Celtics no way Stevens leaves IMO.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-16-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Mood

No way Stevens goes anywhere.

That said, isn't Crean's buyout ridiculous? Not sure even for Indiana with boosters who have $$$$ buying Crean out makes sense. Be patient, there are "hot" candidates every year you can scoop up if you want. Last years flavor of the day was Andy Enfield etc.

I doubt he would go to Indiana, but Tony Bennett has done a really good job building up the Virginia program with good but not great recruits. They play solid, great defense, shoot well an don't turn it over. It seems like this type of style would work well with the fan base.

I don't know why we are discussing this. Crean isn't going anywhere for two years, minimum. At that point the coaching landscape will be much different.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

A new low in my life: Watching the NIT selection show...and not seeing Indiana included. Jesus. ****ing. Christ.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

IU's NIT exclusion means nothing. No better or worse than they were 24 hours ago.

I like where they're trending at PG, SG & SF. PF & C scare the hell out of me right now. If they can address those, I'll be a tad more optimistic about next year.

I'm legitimately shocked we didn't make the NIT. Good grief, what a disappointing season.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

IU not getting selected for the NIT just goes to show you the perception that is out there that opposing recruiters will now be using against IU and Crean. Crean has peaked and it's now just a ticking clock as his seat continues to warm.

Crean needs great recruits to have enough success to have any national relevance. But recruits aren't stupid. Crean can no longer sell on potential. He has to sell on his track record.

He might make an argument for getting players to the NBA but that's going to be negated by other factors and explanations.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    A new low in my life: Watching the NIT selection show...and not seeing Indiana included. Jesus. ****ing. Christ.
    eh, probably just as well. they likely would have just lost again in the 1st round like they did in the big10 tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm legitimately shocked we didn't make the NIT. Good grief, what a disappointing season.

There should be a clause in the coach's contract that if that scenario happens you are automatically gone. Unacceptable at Indiana.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Any chance Alford has a couple good years at UCLA and then gets hired at Indiana when it's about time for Crean to go? Alford gets to the Final 4 this year or next and I bet it's not out of the question.
    Last edited by presto123; 03-16-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Any chance Alford has a couple good years at UCLA and then gets hired at Indiana when it's about time for Crean to go? Alford gets to the Final 4 this year or next and I bet it's not out of the question.
    Alford is an arrogant scumbag. I hope he never coaches at IU.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

What's probably going to happen is Crean will be retained past the point of (many) options. So IU will eventually be painted into a corner of HAVING to make a move and then will limit themselves considerably. Plus, the cupboard will continue to thin and isn't going to be filled for the next head coach. Which will limit things even more.

Unlike the NBA there's no advantage to allowing a team to go backwards for a season or two to play the draft position game. It's the absolute opposite where the better you are, the better you can recruit and maintain and advance your standing. Meanwhile, blue chip recruits don't want to go to a sliding school.

------

-John Wooden

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Alford is an arrogant scumbag. I hope he never coaches at IU.
    I don't think arrogance is much reason not to think he should coach at IU seeing as Fred Glass turned down the CBI, and thus the chance for a team whose "youth" was used an excuse all season to continue to work together, because "it's Indiana".
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I don't think arrogance is much reason not to think he should coach at IU seeing as Fred Glass turned down the CBI, and thus the chance for a team whose "youth" was used an excuse all season to continue to work together, because "it's Indiana".
    Sorry, I usually enjoy your perspective, but this is dumb. It's a pay-for-play tournament and Hoosier fans weren't exactly thrilled with the notion of going to the NIT. The CBI is a joke.