Page 46 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1757

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like I said, we should've seen this coming. The signs were there early on but the decimated roster gave him an excuse.
    I was *****ing about Crean pretty early. I didn't love the hire for the aforementioned reason that the only time he made it past the second round of the NCAA tournament before his arrival here was the Final Four run with Dwyane Wade. At Marquette, the guy never even made another Sweet Sixteen. Maybe that's why he doled out rings to the team that lost to UK in the Sweet Sixteen that year

Without Cody Zeller, he has been awful at Indiana. I was *****ing about him and his painful to watch offense in year three. I bet if I went back and pulled some of the old IU athletics threads from a few years ago you could find me arguing with people about Crean. Still, there is no solace to take in that. We are flat out stuck with the guy for at least the next two years, and very likely longer than that. Indiana basketball is now a run of the mill Big Ten program. It is what it is, unfortunately.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    Unfortunantly Crean will be stuck at IU for a long time. Buyout too expensive at this point.

http://latenighthoops.com/crean-buyout/#.UvxAQPldW_R

If you really want to laugh, read his twitter account. After the professor from Gilligan's Island and Rueben from the partridge family died, he said they made those shows go. LOL. How did we end up with such a genius?

https://twitter.com/TomCrean/status/423993007457579008
    I had to unfollow him on Twitter. His stupid motivational quotes and bible verses were all that came out of it. This probably says a lot: I follow Curt Miller on Twitter, but not Tom Crean. (Miller is our women's hoops coach, for the uninitiated).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

After the Northwestern game he said something about needing to circle the wagons but too many guys thought they were the face of the wagon. I wasn't aware wagons had faces.

I honestly feel kind of bad for him because it's very clear now he just doesn't understand the game as well as other coaches in this league and likely never will.

I've felt for awhile now that the Sampson debacle signaled the end of Indiana's run as a blueblood program. Every time we think IU is back where it belongs, the other shoe drops and we get seasons like this one. The game itself has changed so much in the last 25 years and there's simply too much competition both instate and regionally for IU to ever be like it once was. Regardless, IU needs a far better tactician on its sideline.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just can't get over the fact that a guy making more than $3 million a year has been able to turn a sure fire one and done lottery pick into a Jeff Foster clone.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I just can't get over the fact that a guy making more than $3 million a year has been able to turn a sure fire one and done lottery pick into a Jeff Foster clone.
    He just doesn't know how to optimize post players. There were a lot of times where Cody Zeller felt underutilized in the half court offense. Zeller made up for it because he was the most fundamentally sound and polished true freshman I've ever seen. His basketball IQ was off the charts, so he didn't need Crean to set him up for success. Vonleh does. He is raw and he needs sets run for him. He needs to be force fed the ball.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    He just doesn't know how to optimize post players. There were a lot of times where Cody Zeller felt underutilized in the half court offense. Zeller made up for it because he was the most fundamentally sound and polished true freshman I've ever seen. His basketball IQ was off the charts, so he didn't need Crean to set him up for success. Vonleh does. He is raw and he needs sets run for him. He needs to be force fed the ball.
    His utilization of Cody was frustrating as well but at least there were reasons for it. Zeller's primary attribute was his speed running the floor. Hulls, Oladipo, and Watford were all better halfcourt players. Maybe what I've seen of him at the pro level is tarnishing my memory of his skill set collegiately but at least there were other players with him who needed the ball in the halfcourt.

With this team, it is inexcusable.

-Lance Stephenson

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I know people get on Crean because of the money he makes, and that's justified. But just don't look up what Painter makes.

A guy who once drew comparisons to a cross between the Kevins (Durant and Love) that was actual quote about Vonleh from I believe fall of 2012. I'd have to go back and look for it. And it's not Noah's fault, he has shown the rebounding and D, but is woefully under utiilized on offense.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    A guy who once drew comparisons to a cross between the Kevins (Durant and Love) that was actual quote about Vonleh from I believe fall of 2012. I'd have to go back and look for it. And it's not Noah's fault, he has shown the rebounding and D, but is woefully under utiilized on offense.
    Kevin Love is a solid comp in terms of skill sets. I still like the more mobile Jared Sullinger myself. His defense is going to be really good with the right coaching. Love his instincts on that side of the ball.

So it looks like Crean is here till July 1016. OMG its going to be painful.

Next year's team will be Crean's most stacked ever from a talent standpoint if Vonleh comes back. It'll be interesting to see what happens with it.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 02-14-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    Unfortunantly Crean will be stuck at IU for a long time. Buyout too expensive at this point.

http://latenighthoops.com/crean-buyout/#.UvxAQPldW_R

If you really want to laugh, read his twitter account. After the professor from Gilligan's Island and Rueben from the partridge family died, he said they made those shows go. LOL. How did we end up with such a genius?

https://twitter.com/TomCrean/status/423993007457579008

Fred Glass should be held accountable for foolishly giving Crean a two year extension in 2012 when he still had SIX YEARS left on his contract. Yes, that 2012 season was a nice return to relevance, but getting to the Sweet 16 in year four was what Crean was expected to do when he was hired. You don't lob out extensions when a coach simply meets expectations. You only give an extension when a coach exceeds what you expect out of him. We didn't need to give Crean a "vote of confidence" after that 2012 season. The six years left on his contract were his vote of confidence. Had he only had something like one year left on his contract, then yeah it would have been appropriate to extend him after that season, but you don't lob on extensions when he has six freaking years left.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I had to unfollow him on Twitter. His stupid motivational quotes and bible verses were all that came out of it. This probably says a lot: I follow Curt Miller on Twitter, but not Tom Crean. (Miller is our women's hoops coach, for the uninitiated).
    yep, i too quit following clappy because of those reasons. it was simply too irritating.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I know people get on Crean because of the money he makes, and that's justified. But just don't look up what Painter makes.
    just did.
    2.3 mil? yikes. at least iu isn't the only program getting hosed.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    just did.
    2.3 mil? yikes. at least iu isn't the only program getting hosed.
    He got a big raise for him and his staff and just a bigger hoops budget in general when he had a foot out the door headed to Mizzou. Seemed justified at the time...

Looks like Hanner Perea booked in Monroe County Jail with OWI charge last night. The season just keeps getting better!

I honestly never thought in a million years this season would be this bad.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Next year's team will be Crean's most stacked ever from a talent standpoint if Vonleh comes back. It'll be interesting to see what happens with it.
    Vonleh would be certifiably insane to come back considering how he's been used this season, but ignoring that, I don't see how they can possibly be considered more talented than last year's group.

With Painter's recruiting and Crean's coaching, we could have a real barn burner on Saturday. Gonna be brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Vonleh would be certifiably insane to come back considering how he's been used this season, but ignoring that, I don't see how they can possibly be considered more talented than last year's group.
    I really, really like James Blackmon.

I guess from a purely talent stand point, I don't consider Hulls and Watford to be truly that great. Don't get me wrong those guys busted their asses for this program, but I think on a pure talent stand point a core four of Yogi, Blackmon, Williams, and Vonleh is more talented. I know Oladipo is at the moment the best of the bunch, but I think Vonleh's a big enough advantage over Zeller for me to feel comfortable saying that.

Much like you though, I am doubting every day that Vonleh will come back so it's probably a moot point.

With Painter's recruiting and Crean's coaching, we could have a real barn burner on Saturday. Gonna be brutal.
    Is anyone actually going to watch?

Call me a bad fan if you want, but I'm seriously not sure I even want my season tickets next year. I am so sick of watching Crean's offense.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I really, really like James Blackmon.

I guess from a purely talent stand point, I don't consider Hulls and Watford to be truly that great. Don't get me wrong those guys busted their asses for this program, but I think on a pure talent stand point a core four of Yogi, Blackmon, Williams, and Vonleh is more talented. I know Oladipo is at the moment the best of the bunch, but I think Vonleh's a big enough advantage over Zeller for me to feel comfortable saying that.

Much like you though, I am doubting every day that Vonleh will come back so it's probably a moot point.
    I don't think Vonleh's more talented than Zeller as a college basketball player. He could definitely be end up a more talented pro, just because of his body.

I don't know enough about Blackmon to comment on him, but I think my feelings of Oladipo probably skews my thinking. I consider him so far and away better than any of that others involved, that he makes it an easy choice.

Is anyone actually going to watch?

Call me a bad fan if you want, but I'm seriously not sure I even want my season tickets next year. I am so sick of watching Crean's offense.
    I'll put it this way. I'm glad I'm gonna spend 2 hours of my Saturday watching it here in town, and not the whole day I'd have to devote to going to Mackey tomorrow.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

I honestly never thought in a million years this season would be this bad.
    I didn't expect much out of IU this season but they've been way worse than I thought. I thought both Butler and IU would be outside the top-25 and likely bubble teams. Both teams' seasons have been complete trainwrecks.

I had low expecations for Purdue, and by God, they've delivered.

What a ****** season. March Madness is my favorite sporting event by landslide and I'm not even looking forward to it this year.

-Lance Stephenson

35. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

I don't think Vonleh's more talented than Zeller as a college basketball player. He could definitely be end up a more talented pro, just because of his body.

I don't know enough about Blackmon to comment on him, but I think my feelings of Oladipo probably skews my thinking. I consider him so far and away better than any of that others involved, that he makes it an easy choice.

I think you would think Vonleh is more talented if Crean actually knew how to utilize him, but that's JMO. Noah had a nasty crossover and finish against Minnesota I think from the free throw line where it was just like, "Why don't we do that thing more?"