Page 26 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am the nostalgic type, and I still think the smarter move would have been to demolish the Hall and build a new arena. If we went that route, I wouldn't want it in that cookie cutter mold that you so often see out of these new arenas. That's part of what makes Bankers Life such a great arena--it has some character, as well as being modern.
    I will grant that BILF is nice, but putting up a pro-type arena on a college campus can backfire. OSU's arena is horrible for example. Assembly Hall is fine as it is--they still sell every game out, right? With the statewide budget cuts, is this what the University needs to spend $ on/fundraise for? Is the atmosphere in new Mackey any better?

By the way, how is it pronounced?

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post

Simon Scott

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will grant that BILF is nice, but putting up a pro-type arena on a college campus can backfire. OSU's arena is horrible for example. Assembly Hall is fine as it is--they still sell every game out, right? With the statewide budget cuts, is this what the University needs to spend $ on/fundraise for? Is the atmosphere in new Mackey any better?

The atmosphere isn't the problem in the Hall. Have you been to a game there? There are a LOT of really awful seats with obstructed views and all that. It was horribly designed to begin with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    Simon Scott
    well, that's not that hard.

The atmosphere isn't the problem in the Hall. Have you been to a game there? There are a LOT of really awful seats with obstructed views and all that. It was horribly designed to begin with.
    about ten years ago. the seat was like almost last row, center court. the thing i remember was that the slope of the seating seemed drastic. like "fear of heights" almost. i assume the obstructed views are more in the corner.

I don't have a problem with renaming the building- it's not like we changed it to the State Farm Center.

Assembly Hall has a bunch of HVAC and behind the scenes issues that the money will fix thankfully. The team and coaching staff spend most of their time in Cook Hall now so replacing the stadium would have been more for the convenience of the fans than anything.

It will be interesting to see how the building changes after the renovations are made- in its 42 years there have been only minor cosmetic touches.

about ten years ago. the seat was like almost last row, center court. the thing i remember was that the slope of the seating seemed drastic. like "fear of heights" almost. i assume the obstructed views are more in the corner.
    Yeah, the last 5-10 rows in the lower level all have the balcony obstructing the scoreboard. The entire balcony feels like you are experiencing vertigo for the duration of the experience. The angles on most seats are just bad.

I've seen, I don't know, like 8-10 games in Bloomington. The building sucks, definitely, may as well be The Barn. Crap sightlines, I don't know how there hasn't been some too drunk coed tumble off the upper deck, all that. BUT, it IS really unique, I guess, it's got that going for it. The concave-ness(?) of it definitely funnels the sound to the floor, and the big Russian Red style (dusty, c'mon, had to) title banners covering the wall I like, can't miss em.

Personally I never want to see it rebuilt because it'd just be another leg up on Purdue if you get a state of the art fieldhouse or something. But all biases aside, despite it being a **** building, that's what makes it y'know.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I've seen, I don't know, like 8-10 games in Bloomington. The building sucks, definitely, may as well be The Barn. Crap sightlines, I don't know how there hasn't been some too drunk coed tumble off the upper deck, all that. BUT, it IS really unique, I guess, it's got that going for it. The concave-ness(?) of it definitely funnels the sound to the floor, and the big Russian Red style (dusty, c'mon, had to) title banners covering the wall I like, can't miss em.

Personally I never want to see it rebuilt because it'd just be another leg up on Purdue if you get a state of the art fieldhouse or something. But all biases aside, despite it being a **** building, that's what makes it y'know.
    QUACK

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watched Blackmon get a difficult 29. Tech is so talented and they play so well together. I was surprised how Marion played they run no plays. If I had Blackmon I would run him off screens. He had to create everything for himself 1v1. Also Marion was terrible in transtion really awful on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Watched Blackmon get a difficult 29. Tech is so talented and they play so well together. I was surprised how Marion played they run no plays. If I had Blackmon I would run him off screens. He had to create everything for himself 1v1. Also Marion was terrible in transtion really awful on defense.
    We had one of the best pure shooters in the country for 4 years (Hulls) and I could probably count the number of times we ran him off a screen to get him an open look. Everything in Crean's offense has to be off the dribble and I doubt it will ever change.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    We had one of the best pure shooters in the country for 4 years (Hulls) and I could probably count the number of times we ran him off a screen to get him an open look. Everything in Crean's offense has to be off the dribble and I doubt it will ever change.

And that is why I am sick of Crean. He isn't an offensive coach.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Mood

At this North Central Holiday Tournament. It is basically a showcase of young talented players. Kris Wilkes from North Central is so skilled and the upside is sky high. I can see why Crean offered him. Best player on the floor and just a freshman. Damian Jefferson has been fantastic as well he has interest from IU. Not a fan of how Gordon is developing his decision making is terrible though it was just a freshman thing, but it hasn't improve this year. If anyone lives close to North Central the tourney concludes tomorrow first mens game is at noon.

Mood

Hyron Edwards has been really disappointing. He has terrible body language his coach has benched him fof most of the game. He is a big time recruit according to sites I didn't likr him much. But 2 games as a sample size is too little maybe just a bad day.

IU women's team finishes their non-conference season 13-0, which I believe is the best start in the program's history. Curt Miller is absolutely doing work. I always wondered why our women's program was so, well, bad. He's turning it around, and doing it quickly.

On an unrelated note, I had to unfollow Tom Crean on Twitter. His boner for DWade and the Heat irritated me as well as the general lack of quality substance in any of his Tweets. Maybe it's because the Pacers are so damn fun to watch this year, or maybe it's because last year just drained me mentally, but I am just really, really apathetic about IU basketball this season. I think the B1G season is going to be quite the debacle (although I would love to be wrong).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

IU women's team finishes their non-conference season 13-0, which I believe is the best start in the program's history. Curt Miller is absolutely doing work. I always wondered why our women's program was so, well, bad. He's turning it around, and doing it quickly.

On an unrelated note, I had to unfollow Tom Crean on Twitter. His boner for DWade and the Heat irritated me as well as the general lack of quality substance in any of his Tweets. Maybe it's because the Pacers are so damn fun to watch this year, or maybe it's because last year just drained me mentally, but I am just really, really apathetic about IU basketball this season. I think the B1G season is going to be quite the debacle (although I would love to be wrong).
    I'm actually looking forward to watching some of the IU women's games this year. Oh, and next year they're bringing in a girl who just dropped 60+ in back to back games this weekend.

I don't really want to watch Tuesday's game, but I probably will anyway. If we get down by 10 or more in the first half I'm switching over to the Pacers. I'm really just annoyed with IU basketball right now. It's not like they're a lost cause or anything, but it's hard to watch a team that turns the ball over a lot and can't shoot.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Mood

Wow...so strange in the middle of the season.

That's great.

Take it for what it's worth: Hearing that one more player is going to transfer. A wing. Guess here is Stan Robinson.

Mood

What the **** is going on? Are these freshmen really that concerned about playing time they haven't earned yet? There's gonna be plenty of time to play in the next three years. College athletes are a bunch of crybabies now days.

LOL

fischer can go and do one as far as im concerned.

what an absolute baby.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    What the **** is going on? Are these freshmen really that concerned about playing time they haven't earned yet? There's gonna be plenty of time to play in the next three years. College athletes are a bunch of crybabies now days.
    A respected poster on another site has a friend whose niece goes to IU. Said Fischer hated being away from home and spent most of his time in his dorm. His mom was down there spending time with him every weekend.

Mood

Wow. The kid is just soft then. He's gonna regret this move so much when he grows up in a couple years.

Teenager being homesick when he goes away to college in another state=soft? I mean i guess sort of but its not exactly that uncommon.

Mood

No I understand being homesick. But you gotta suck it up. To quit because of being homesick = soft. What a waste of a great opportunity. He had the potential to get so much playing time in the next few years and really show case his talents at one of the best programs in basketball.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post: